Unremembered Empire....initial review

They say somewhere in the codex that they installed warp engines on the rock sometime (a great deal of time if I remember correctly) after the scouring. Ill give it a searcharoo

What better cover up for xenos warp engines than normal warp engines bolted over it?

They say somewhere in the codex that they installed warp engines on the rock sometime (a great deal of time if I remember correctly) after the scouring. Ill give it a searcharoo

What better cover up for xenos warp engines than normal warp engines bolted over it?
"Yo Corswain! We heard you like Warp engines, so we put Warp engines on the Warp engines so you can travel through the Warp while you travel through the Warp!"

• 2 weeks later...

So I just finished the audiobook and I have some thoughts: 

Getting really sick of Konrad's %$#^. I like the Night Lords, but his ever-increasing list of insane feats of daring-do are just grating on me. What I wouldn't give to just skip to the end of his sorry tale. Also, how does one of his brothers killing him prove him right? The can remain noble and heroic. They don't lose anything by killing him. No one is losing any sleep over that monster. 

Sanguinius rules and I'm glad to see his return after Fear to Tread. I cannot wait for his inevitable explanation to the Emperor of why he took the post of regent. I wish he had appeared earlier, but frankly I can never get enough of the Angel of Blood. 

Robute seems quite human here and displays a level of sentimentality not present in Know No Fear, I think. Not a bad thing, just different. 

Man, that mention of the assassination of Martin Luther King was a bit too much. It's not about political correctness, it's about respect. Lessing that horrible crime to a part of some work of fiction with alien conspiracies just rubs me the wrong way. A lot. 

Overall, I liked that it was one of the quieter books of the Heresy. World building and empire-building in equal turn. 

So I just finished the audiobook and I have some thoughts: 

Getting really sick of Konrad's %$#^. I like the Night Lords, but his ever-increasing list of insane feats of daring-do are just grating on me. What I wouldn't give to just skip to the end of his sorry tale. Also, how does one of his brothers killing him prove him right? The can remain noble and heroic. They don't lose anything by killing him. No one is losing any sleep over that monster. 

Sanguinius rules and I'm glad to see his return after Fear to Tread. I cannot wait for his inevitable explanation to the Emperor of why he took the post of regent. I wish he had appeared earlier, but frankly I can never get enough of the Angel of Blood. 

Robute seems quite human here and displays a level of sentimentality not present in Know No Fear, I think. Not a bad thing, just different. 

Man, that mention of the assassination of Martin Luther King was a bit too much. It's not about political correctness, it's about respect. Lessing that horrible crime to a part of some work of fiction with alien conspiracies just rubs me the wrong way. A lot. 

Overall, I liked that it was one of the quieter books of the Heresy. World building and empire-building in equal turn. 

Bolded bit in the spoilers bugged me a ton too. I was actually really annoyed Abnett put it in.

Getting really sick of Konrad's %$#^. I like the Night Lords, but his ever-increasing list of insane feats of daring-do are just grating on me. What I wouldn't give to just skip to the end of his sorry tale.

Bolded bit in the spoilers bugged me a ton too. I was actually really annoyed Abnett put it in.

I could not agree more

Getting really sick of Konrad's %$#^. I like the Night Lords, but his ever-increasing list of insane feats of daring-do are just grating on me. What I wouldn't give to just skip to the end of his sorry tale.

I could not agree more

I shrugged it off because the Abnett isn't an American, so he's far more removed from the event.  I thought it was random and dumb, but hardly something to be offended by.

@Marshal

You can use spoilers, but can you please tell me what context it was used in, the Martin Luther King part? I havent gotten a chance to get the book.

Was Dan just using it to relate to something or just minimizing it to some degree?

One of the perpetuals, I forget which since I keep hoping if I ignore them they'll go away, is reflecting on all the people he's killed.  Included in that list is a good man in Memphis.  It's totally irrelevent to the story, and really only serves to give a sense of how many lives he's lived.  The references to The Great War from back in Mark of Calth worked a lot better.

A good man in Memphis...THE PERPETUALS KILLED ELVIS!?!

Yes. They killed him with drugs and obesity.

This is unforgivable! DEATH TO THE...oh, wait...BODILY DISMEMBERMENT AND BURYING EACH CHUNK ON A SEPERATE CONTINENT TO THE PERPETUALS!

A good man in Memphis...THE PERPETUALS KILLED ELVIS!?!

Yes. They killed him with drugs and obesity.

This is unforgivable! DEATH TO THE...oh, wait...BODILY DISMEMBERMENT AND BURYING EACH CHUNK ON A SEPERATE CONTINENT TO THE PERPETUALS!

Personally, I say throw them into a sun and name it Hotel California. They can never leave. biggrin.png

Why use a sun when the original state works well enough on its own?

"Emperor please let me leave"

"No"

"Maaaan, Cali sucks."

Real reason why they refuse to work with the Emperor revealed!

And Wade, clearly that reference was about MLK, Jr and not Elvis. Elvis lives, baby. He is a Perpetual.

I think Daddywarcrimes has the right of it. It was probably a case of it not having the same kind of impact for him and his culture as it does us. To many of us here in the US, tossing that line in there seemed unnecessary and a little disrespectful. But I'm sure these same Americans, myself included, would not have the same reaction if Abnett had used an assassinated Brit who had a similar impact on his country as MLK, Jr did ours. So I honestly don't think he meant any harm by it.

Besides, it might not even have been MLK, Jr. While equivalent to us, 40k's Old Earth is not our Earth. Tzeentch wasn't born out of people's lack of expectations over the Spanish Inquisition. Genghis Khan did not rise to become a Daemon Prince of Khorne, who was not born from blood we shed during the Crusades. Parallel Earth that has enough changes in it that it, if you so choose, can include this assassination as someone else entirely and therefore the reference loses its bite.

Why use a sun when the original state works well enough on its own?

"Emperor please let me leave"

"No"

"Maaaan, Cali sucks."

Real reason why they refuse to work with the Emperor revealed!

And Wade, clearly that reference was about MLK, Jr and not Elvis. Elvis lives, baby. He is a Perpetual.

I think Daddywarcrimes has the right of it. It was probably a case of it not having the same kind of impact for him and his culture as it does us. To many of us here in the US, tossing that line in there seemed unnecessary and a little disrespectful. But I'm sure these same Americans, myself included, would not have the same reaction if Abnett had used an assassinated Brit who had a similar impact on his country as MLK, Jr did ours. So I honestly don't think he meant any harm by it.

Besides, it might not even have been MLK, Jr. While equivalent to us, 40k's Old Earth is not our Earth. Tzeentch wasn't born out of people's lack of expectations over the Spanish Inquisition. Genghis Khan did not rise to become a Daemon Prince of Khorne, who was not born from blood we shed during the Crusades. Parallel Earth that has enough changes in it that it, if you so choose, can include this assassination as someone else entirely and therefore the reference loses its bite.

Fair enough Cormac, you and Daddywarcrimes are likely correct. Still irritated me a mite bit.

To many of us here in the US, tossing that line in there seemed unnecessary and a little disrespectful. But I'm sure these same Americans, myself included, would not have the same reaction if Abnett had used an assassinated Brit who had a similar impact on his country as MLK, Jr did ours. So I honestly don't think he meant any harm by it.

Speaking from Britain, I think that's correct. I know King was a very good man and he did great things, but the line doesn't feel disrespectful to me. If anything I could see it being a careful acknowledgement of the man's work.

Princess Diana could be a British equivalent.

To many of us here in the US, tossing that line in there seemed unnecessary and a little disrespectful. But I'm sure these same Americans, myself included, would not have the same reaction if Abnett had used an assassinated Brit who had a similar impact on his country as MLK, Jr did ours. So I honestly don't think he meant any harm by it.

Speaking from Britain, I think that's correct. I know King was a very good man and he did great things, but the line doesn't feel disrespectful to me. If anything I could see it being a careful acknowledgement of the man's work.

Princess Diana could be a British equivalent.

As a Brit myself this sums it up imo, +1 to you sir.

Archived