New Sisters Codex inbound?!?!

thade

That line about the robes is the most misunderstood quote I've ever seen from the design team.

It's not that they were struggling to cast robes, the problem is making a multi-part kit with open robes that are separate from the legs. The problem is making it so that they can have more than fixed-pose legs. Why that's important here, when the DAngles and Eldar are fine with single-piece robe/leg moulds, I don't know...

Oh, yes, I remember that.  I must've missed the misunderstanding though.  Yes, the Sisters from that design work never got past conceptual I think.  Heck, it was probably just idle discussion at the office discussing the hypotheticals of making a Sisters kit.

Assumption:

The goal for plastic Sisters seems to be a multi-part-kit, which can be assembled into different poses (unlike aforementioned Farseer kit which only has one possible pose, despite being multi-part)

As I see it, any kind of cloth attached to torso, head and legs*, should be quiet easy to do, as their orientation is essentially set to to be upright or just slightly deviated from that. (Unless you'd want pose your models to do handstands or flick-flaks!)

(Hence multi-part, multi-pose Space Marines with robes are easy, because their robes only cover torso, head and legs).

Sleeves on the other hand, are dependant on the position of the arms (or more precisely the upper arm in the case of sisters with current styling) and those have quite a few more possible orientations (up, down, straight out, or anything in between) each requiring different forms (or rather deformations) of sleeves.

That's where I can see a problem. Not one that's unsolvable, but one GW didn't have to face, with any other army, yet. (Please mention if I'm wrong!)

*if and why GW would want multi part, multi-posable legs with separate robe-parts, eludes me. Do existing plastic kits have anything alike? Wouldn't it be enough to just do five differently posed, non-re-pose-able sets of legs, to go along on a spure of five pose-able sets of upper bodies (to achieve an adequate level poseablility)?

@Furyou Miko: Sorry, I don't want to lecture on or ridicule your statement, I'm just genuinely baffled about it.

Finally, I want to mention, that although I seem to recall sleeves being mentioned in connection with this topic before, the above is my view only and I neither claim to have any firm knowledge about it, nor that I thoroughly followed what has been said/written about it. So don't be shy to correct me!smile.png

Wouldn't it be enough to just do five differently posed, non-re-pose-able sets of legs, to go along on a spure of five pose-able sets of upper bodies (to achieve an adequate level poseablility)?

The tactical squad existed for a long time with five leg models that had very little variation in pose between them. Imagine we'd had five very dynamic poses instead. One running, one with his foot on a boulder, and so on. A five-man squad would have looked much better for it. But those legs aren't going to be used for just five men. They're going to be used for at least twenty men. And your fellow gamers will use them too. Very quickly those poses would become boring.

As alien as it seems to us now, stuck with squatting marines for so long, I reckon we'd be sighing, 'I wish my marines had a nice neutral pose. I wish that 1/5 of my marines weren't standing on rocks.' laugh.png

Robes show motion. If they lie flat then the model looks stationary. If they are flung back then the model will look as if it is moving. Because of this, robes will give each set of legs a distinct pose. You would quickly come to notice and recognize the different poses. You don't want that. You want your legs to blend in and become one with the crowd of legs. You want a neutral pose you can then add motion and character to with the upper body. The tactical squad legs have done this for a long time.

This situation probably isn't made better because the current Sisters are as dynamic as they are. The new Sternguard models don't have the same amount of activity in them. The bar is set high, and they probably don't want to bring out anything that can't knock the old metal models flat.

Sorry. I'm tired. I'm probably blathering.

The sleeves would definitely be the biggest issue because of ark position, however, even then new marine kit appears to have 10 different legs some of them are repeated. Multiple arms also isn't an issue for GW because well the marine kits have a ton of extra arms living around now. They could easily do 5 standard bolter holding poses. The could then do 5 different pair of arms doing differnt things, such as holding a bolter one handed downwards with the other reloading, one shooting a pistol I each hand with acompanimg chain sword arms for each hand. This could also mean they give us a power weapon arm or two, and maybe one pair that wields an eviscerator. They could also give you am arm tossing a grande and one holding a hook or one holding a Rosario's/ cross like icon for praying over. They could even toss in a few single handed bolter arms to go with some of those extra arms. It would be difficult really, it just has to be limiting on the maximum movement.

Even still 5 legs, 5 torsos, possible six for a superior upgrad. 5 backpacks, 5 helmeted heads, 5 in helmeted heads, 2 superior heads, 5 standard across chest bolter arm pairs, 5 variant arm pairs as mentioned bove with chain swords, bolt pistols, and grenade/prayer beads/clip,three heavy weapon arm pairs and backpacks, 3 special weapon upgrades, and maybe 1 power weapon arm, 1 power maul

arm, and one plasma pistol arm, and any extra arms needed for superior upgrades, and spare purity seals, am,of pouches ect they can fit onto sprue after the rest. I could see a basic five sister sprue, with legs, torsos, backpacks and heads, with a separate weapon sprue. The weapo sprue can easily be adjusted for retribution squad with more heavy weapons,command with banners and narthecium, close combat stuff, and the a regular sister sprue for sisters, dominions, and Celestine's. It isn't difficult I just guess gw is doing other things like updating existing plastic box sets.

@Zincite: I wasn't actually thinking about anything too dramatic for different leg variations (more like: standing with the bodyweight resting more on the right foot, same on the left, one balanced weight distribution, others closer to "making a step"-like stances, some with knees more bent than others...). But I didn't make myself clear about it and your point is valid nonetheless: Anything too distinctive, wears out quickly, with growing numbers!

So neutral poses are favourable, but there should be at least some difference between them, to increase the possible number of unique models.

If it's possible to accomplish a variable angle of joining feet and torso (=rotation in the hip of the model), you could add another degree of variation. But that seems to be rather obvious, so it's probably being done already, I guess.

@Zincite (again): You also made a good point about the downside of plastic, multi-part, multi-pose-able kits. Some poses are simply not possible (or at least require considerable effort to achieve), with all the parts made to fit into as many positions as possible.

First example that comes to mind, is the current Sister model pulling out a grenade-pin with her teeth.

The grenade-pin Sister often is cited as an example of being undoable with multipart. I don't see that as being the case. The shoulder location and head location are standard, and as such having an arm and head in either their respective parts or molded together to begin with that then form the current arm+head pose when attached to a torso would be no big deal, really.

The grenade-pin Sister often is cited as an example of being undoable with multipart. I don't see that as being the case. The shoulder location and head location are standard, and as such having an arm and head in either their respective parts or molded together to begin with that then form the current arm+head pose when attached to a torso would be no big deal, really.

You're right, from the perspective of GW. They can realise just about anything they want.

But from a player's point of view, having a given kit with no such option, it's different.

There will already be lots of parts (Heavy and Special Weapons, Superior and Imagifier options), which have to be done additionally to the basic parts.

Some additional goodies (to fill a gap or two in the spures) would be good, but if overdone, I'd hate be stuck with a kit of Sisters, containing as much plastic as a Baneblade-kit (and probably also costing as much), but still only being able to build five Sisters form it! 

Indeed, extra bits are fantastic but there's a good ratio because when you're stocking up on models (as they're what you need) you won't find yourself lacking for bits. As others have speculated before a 5 model box for Doms/Rets/Seras would be fine but for line Sisters it will be 10. I say "will" because anything less would be far too nonsensical, even for the oft-boneheads at GW.

Am I the only one who hates this sculpt anyway?

The trouble is that at the moment there is very little to characterize line Battle Sisters from Dominions and Retributors.  I mean let's face it, we use the same model for a Heavy Bolter Sister in either squad.  Seraphim though are almost entirely unique with no shared weapons even outside from possibly the Seraphim Superior.  If I were to do it, I would have a 10-Sister squad pack more than likely, and if I could figure out the sprues right (heavy weapons stuff on its own sprue), then have a Retributor set of 5 with an extra Heavy Weapons sprue, and finally a completely different pack and sprues for Seraphim.  ... But that's just me.

There are others.  Personally I am endlessly amused by this sculpt, though I admit it is troubling when you have so many Sisters with their teeth bit on a grenade pin.

I do not think there is enough love lost for the grenade pin Sister sculpt to disappear from a plastic kit.  It's not like I don't have enough metal Sisters biting at the pin already.  Maybe if you could make the arm able to hold the grenade in a variety of poses.  Like throwing or something.

What I really hate is that she seems to be the most commonly cast Sister in existence. Apparently EVERYONE wants to throw grenades in the Sisterhood.

What I really hate is that she seems to be the most commonly cast Sister in existence. Apparently EVERYONE wants to throw grenades in the Sisterhood.

Grenade spam is a time honored tradition in warfare.

I wish they COULD spam grenades :p  I'd take 20 small blasts or 20 S6 AP4 nades in a shooting round quite happily... especially with re-roll 1's to hit :p

But .... she is so easy to convert!  Her weapon is held out so that it is easy to make it a combi-whatever.

@Zincite: I wasn't actually thinking about anything too dramatic for different leg variations (more like: standing with the bodyweight resting more on the right foot, same on the left, one balanced weight distribution, others closer to "making a step"-like stances, some with knees more bent than others...).

Makes sense, but if the model has any pose then that pose can become recognizable. Single-sculpt legs would probably each have a distinct pose. Far better if the robes are detached - but also more difficult. Comparison - could you build an entire PA force using only the new Sternguard or Vanguard legs? Yes, and they'd look brilliant. But it does reduce the customizability and customizability is one of the things GW's plastic sets do best.

I certainly think they'd be able to do it, what with the fantastic sculpts they've put out recently. Just guessing what the reasons might have been behind their statement. smile.png

if overdone, I'd hate be stuck with a kit of Sisters, containing as much plastic as a Baneblade-kit (and probably also costing as much), but still only being able to build five Sisters form it!

Have you built a Tyranid army? I have a spare bitz box. Then I have my Tyranid spare bitz box. That's how many you get. So many awesome bitz, and none of them usable except if you buy a new model (which defeats the point because you get the same spare pieces in the new kit).

Archived