[HH1.0] Night Lords Tactics

Verity

Horror Assault is a no-starter, no real point to it at all.

Just don't remember what happened to the Night Lords when they ambushed Ultras in Pharos with 3 times their numbers. I hate that book

To be fair by this point like 80% of the Night Lords are worthless as soldiers. Edited by Terminus

So we know Terror Assault is the superior unique RoW, especially if bringing the Night Haunter. But what about the Horror Cult, what does it really bring to the table aside from 90 Night raptors vs the 45 normal available? Terror trophies are so so in a normal mixed meta. Bringing raptors opens up seeker slots if you go that way, I would rather have vets though. Assault claws are cool and we have more heavy slots open with it but It just seems like such a negligible RoW compared to Terror Assault. Am I missing something about it?

I guess it makes for a quick conversion army between 40k Raptor cults but that's about the only real benefit I see.

Its better if you're running Curze and give him a Raptor bodyguard so that they score and you have 1 less filler Troop unit. Terror Assault is actually a bit poor for Curze in comparison because you need to make a unit for him to go with, he doesn't benefit from the bonuses of Cover of Darkness and already gives Night Fight for Turn 1.

Not sure what you mean by mixed meta? Like a mixed 40k-30k meta? If so, then yes, NL are junk because the things they do (assault really well, use cover, use fear) are pretty much all irrelevant in 40k 

Horror Assault is a no-starter, no real point to it at all.

Just don't remember what happened to the Night Lords when they ambushed Ultras in Pharos with 3 times their numbers. I hate that book

To be fair by this point like 80% of the Night Lords are worthless as soldiers.

They're still space marines, they know how to aim and shoot a gun and kill people. In fact, ambushing weaker people is pretty much what they did as dudes back on Nostramo so they should be even more practiced at it. Not come off worse in an ambush that they launched, that took place in their element, with 3 times the amount of guys. 

Lol, you mean the old standard of 5th, with outflank and things like vanguard vets. Somehow this is even stronger in 7th because of how degenerate shooting is, that your unit can't be on the board at all prior to assaulting to have a chance.

I've mentioned it a few times, but my group plays with charging from normal or outflank reserves like 5th. It works pretty well because 30k is in a much better spot balance wise; there's no uber ignore cover wound on 2+ grav equivalent, and most big shooting is fairly static and tends to be castled up. Now they have to watch out for a vicious outflank that might take out those rapiers.

A lot of Rites of War like Maru Skara and Black Reaving suddenly make a lot of sense functionality wise, though SoH got rebalanced to be super short range shooting masters so all their outflank was relevant. You can really tell which ideas were made for 5th 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

I've started playing my Night Lords and what I feel is that I really want to play Sevatar and his goons. But what would you put in a list that FEELS Sevatar? I completely love Pride of the Legion, so I can get me some Terminators and Veterans. But then what? Tanks? What support units would Sevatar bring? Any ideas? :)

I'm aiming for a list between 2500-3000pts!

Well you'll want a Damocles to accurately deep strike all those lovely Atrementar into the fray!

A Terror Squad with a nuncio vox (if they can?) infiltraiting will not only brim the choom, but another bit of no-scatter.

No they can't

However a camo'd up recon squad can and they will enjoy the benefits of cover saves/night time. Just keep em to a disposable minimum and as long as they make it to turn 2 you should be OK

Other units to consider would be veterans, seekers (i always have a combi plas unit of these in a rhino to have the enemies elite "marked for death")

If you want to get an extra nuncio up front fast also consider attaching a vigilator to a squad for scouting fun

Then I will go for a venator. 

HQ

Sevatar with command squad in transport?

So, for troops.

Two big squads with Terminators

deep striking?

Two units of veterans in rhinos?

Recon squad with nuncio for deep striking help?

Heavy Support

Leviathan

Venator

Then we have some playing around with the elite and fast attack choices!

We may as well take advantage of transponders as we have them, and you can tool those terminator squads to suit purpose. Taking 2 full squads you can pretty much do what you want. Combi plas/melta for on the drop blasting apart of things, axes and fists for smashing of things. Both hulk and thornberry varieties.

Take cataphractii If you want to put them somewhere dangerous and if you want to throw your weight around in combat use tartaros because it can sweep. Or one of each. Because why not

If only terror squads had vox it would make life so much easier!

Think I may have to get a damocles for the bubble.

I'm running my cat terms with combi plasma, fists and axes and all got a bunch of tartaros to build with claws and axes to go infantry hunting

I'm not sure I'd want to deep strike ten terminators, that's a very big footprint and very vulnerable to big ap2 blasts. I'd rather take smaller, 5 man units all with combi weapons so they can deep strike in right next to sevetar, unleash their combi then join the assault. I've actually been playing around with a list for sevetar using 20 terminators, one ten man squad in a spartan with sevetar and a primus medicae, and two five man squads with combi weapons deep striking in. Since sevetar will likely be in the spartan the start of turn 2 when the deep strikers come in, they can pop up anywhere within 6" of the spartan. 

As for other troop choices like veterans, weapon master vets with a couple power weapons works great for night lords,  though they'll need a dreadclaw drop pod for that to work. If you want to run them in rhinos marksmen vets with your choice of special weapon is better, though night lords don't get any particular advantages to running those vets. 

Also another heavy support choice I'd recommend is a squadron of vindicators with laser destroyers. Give one machine spirit so they can hit separate targets, and you've got a solid amount of anti tank from them. 

What do you think of this 3k army? Sevatar brings his most fearsome fighters to the battlefield!

Sevatar (Pride of the Legion)

Primus, artificer armour

10 Cataphractii, Spartan

10 Weapon Master Veterans, rhino (power weapons and stuff)

10 Terror Marines, volkites

2 Rapier Laser Destroyer Batteries

2 Laser Destroyer Vindicators

Leviathan, pod

That's around of 3000pts!

I'm in concurrence with skimask, if you really want to take a terror squad by all means take one but 2 in a non terror assault list is a bit much, use that 250+ points on other gubbins, heck go crazy drop both and get 2 landraiders for the weapons master vet's so they can charge when they disembark and use the points saved for the rhino on armoured ceramite/extra pintle weapon

• 2 weeks later...

What do you think of this 3k army? Sevatar brings his most fearsome fighters to the battlefield!

Sevatar (Pride of the Legion)

Primus, artificer armour

10 Cataphractii, Spartan

2 Rapier Laser Destroyer Batteries

2 Laser Destroyer Vindicators

Leviathan, pod

That's around of 3000pts!

Hmm, what about using dreadclaws for the veterans instead? Is an actual assualt vehicle and uses up spots you weren't using anyways. Otherwise two more land raiders would be bad, just make sure to get them an assualt transport. To make points up I would probalby get rid of the terror marines. If you have the points you can even grab more laser destroyer batteries. What is the leviathan rocking? I would suggest the melta cyclone.

I stumbled around a bit with the list until I just fell into the Terror Assault-pit and accepted it. :P

So now my list looks something like this (2,5k pts)

Sevetar (Will be a praetor when I get all the parts I want)

10 Cataphractii, 5 combi-plasmas, plasmablaster, 4 power fists, 1 chain fist, 2 lightning claws, chainglaive and grenade harness

8 Weapon Master Veterans, 4 power weapons, pair of lightning claws, melta bombs, sergeant with artificer and power fist - in a dreadclaw

Apothecary, artificer armour, chainglaive

10 Terror Marines, volkites, headsman with artificer and chainglaive - in a drop pod

10 Terror Marines, bolters, headsman with artificer and power axe - in a drop pod

10 Terror Marines, volkites, headsman with artificer and lightning claw - in a drop pod

2 Javelin Land Speeders, multi-meltas and lascannons

Leviathan, siege drill, phospex,  dreadnought drop pod

A bit of anti-tank and a ton of anti-infantry! Sevetar/Praetor with Apothecary with Veterans in Dreadclaw. 

God that list in enviably cool.

Why do Nightlords of all people get to have Choom Veterans :tongue.:!?!

Seriously though, big reason for me when I picked Night Lords was terror squads. 

All jump pack army is pretty doable for Night Lords, considering they are all bulky so can easily benefit from the talent for murder rule. I'd say the Drop Assault Vanguard RoW actually works really well for an assault marines based NL army, since you can deep strike in and get a +5 cover save first turn in addition to the forced snap shots bubble. Angel's wrath and orbital assault also work fairly well I'd say. Whichever rite you choose,  you just have to make sure the assault marines are backed up by heavy support geared to take out vehicles. Leviathan in particular works well since it can deep strike in. 

Unfortunately horror cult isn't all that good, doesn't really add anything to jump infantry units, and raptors aren't even that good now that assault marines got a price reduction.