[HH1.0] Night Lords Tactics

Verity

Apart from the fact that a Storm Eagle is notoriously hard to assemble and put together (100% of all posts Ive seen about building it as well as friends all say the same), its just not that great of a Flyer for its cost especially when compared to other options.

If youre not using Terror Assault (and thus limited to 1 HS Slot), then you easily have access to the Kharybdis which has the same capacity as the eagle but in Drop Pod form for more reliability whilst also being cheaper (after storm eagle upgrades to make it better) or, the Hardier and Not-That-Much-More-Expensive by comparison Caestus Assault Ram.

If you want to use them, fine, go ahead, its your army and hobby but unless you're running Multiples, its likely to be a bit underwhelming depending on circumstance.

Why?

Because at best its armed with:

• 1 Nose Multimelta
  • 2 Twin-Linked Lascannons
  • The Pretty forgettable missile launchers on the top

All for 265 points. You then shove either 10 Terminators or 20 Non-Bulky Bodies (or what-have-you) and then make it a 400+ Point, Av12 target that is at the mercy of Reserve Rolls (much like most fliers).

That said, if you have a way to make reserves reliable and can bring in 2+ in a same turn, then most preventative AA will have a hard time dealing with all of them before they do their job. That said, you really dont want these getting shot down before going into hover mode to disembark.

For me, it isn't the cost or the slightly underwhelming firepower.

It's the huge chunk of points that aren't available to you from the start of the game that, at best, are going to show up and start affecting things in full by turn 3 for arguable gain. The issue is really rough when you see them loaded with a close combat squad, since it's always a hassle.

Like Slips mentioned, if you're sold on arial transport, I'd go Kharyibdis. Or dreadclaws, those are always a blast.

Just a slight aside to give you one positive, those missile launchers become more handy vs 4+ saves like certain ad mech/militia/human shaped bodies have. Especially if they come in blob form.

On the pro side theyre probably a bit more useful in long games (where you are definitely getting 6 turns), where you could do with dropping a unit later to recover VP etc.

Generally I'll assume you're facing marines and you can't guarantee long matches, so all the prior advice given by other frater applies yea verily

You're still getting the main downside of the Storm Eagle - that is to say it's not on the board from the get go. But it's firepower is vastly superior to it. A 7 shot AP3 bolt cannon, it's dakka turrets being able to shoot independently and can be upgrade with juicy ap2 rockets. 

You're still getting the main downside of the Storm Eagle - that is to say it's not on the board from the get go. But it's firepower is vastly superior to it. A 7 shot AP3 bolt cannon, it's dakka turrets being able to shoot independently and can be upgrade with juicy ap2 rockets. 

Which are heavy now and no longer ordnance! :D

Edited by Slipstreams

Your choice

Glaive: +1 str ap3 1 in 6 chance to rend which gives you your ap2 or +d3 on armour pen meaning you can take HP off av10-14 depending on your dice. No extra weapon bonus as 2 handed

Axe: +1 str ap2 straight off the bat, strike at i1 and so do your targets generally, vs less threatening targets hope you don't get booped on the snoot, get extra ccw bonus.

Pays your money, makes your choice ^_^

Generally, I'd say the power axe is better. You get the extra attack for having a pistol, plus with all the artificer armored sergeants out there the ap2 attack means you'll at least have both sarges kill each other in a challenge. Same case if we are talking about a centurion character without access to a paragon blade, though in that case I'd take a fist. 

That being said, chainglaive is just too cool to me thematically, I have a lot of sergeants across my army modelled with them because they look dope. Don't always pay the pts to upgrade them, but with rending at least the glaive has a shot verses ap2. 

Also note for chainglaives, they are generally not worth it on one attack models, so not a great choice for raptors. Only really give them to sergeants. 

Edited by Lord Asvaldir

I usually put my chainfist on the plasma blaster model, that way you're most expensive pieces of equipment in the squad are saved all on one model.

For your 20 cataphractii terminators I'd say you can never have enough combi plasma, especially with a NLs army.  One in five should have a plasma blaster/chainfist, but besides that the rest can be a mix of combi plasma and axes/fists. I might do 50/50 of axes/fists so you have options. Fists are always better of course, but sometimes you do need to save the pts. 

Not really a fan of tartaros armor, in a fight against other terminators they will usually lose, but as slips suggested claw/volkite seems like a decent build, makes them a good anti power armored unit. 

It's 20 tartaros I have.the cataphatti are definitely going all combi/blaster with axe/fists. It's the tartaros I'm unsure of really. Fancy at least on claw squad. True in a term fight they will lose....but that's a fight is sneak away from

• 3 weeks later...

For terror squads, is dreadclaw with a close combat build (base or with heavy chainswords) a viable build or just go with volkite? And are flamers a waist on terror squads?

Asking this, as I want to build a close combat unit to go with 2 infiltrating volkite squads. 

As an actual answer about viability; heavy chains in a dreadclaw is viable, but the thing is that terror marines already excel against infantry, which heavies don't really do anything to change. That leaves them being a disruption unit, which they're ok at, but a contemptor or cortus coming out of that pod would be a whole lot more impactful.

Flamers are a waste sadly