[HH1.0] Night Lords Tactics

Verity

There are no positives for inferior biologicals :lol:

I'm kidding, that's mean and you make a fair point.

Castellax are a huge pain in the ass for anyone. Doubly so for Night Lords bc they don't get TfM bonuses against them.

Close combat is defs the way to go. Castellax are WS3 and their invulnerable save drops to a 6+. Dreads actually do really well, going first most of the time, hitting on 3s (even Cortus class) and not being that bothered by Str6AP2. You can catch a Str10 smash to the face, but that's only a single shot from the bot. Then too, Leviathans do great, but what aren't they great at? :D

The thing to look out for there is a Dominus granting a bot with a siege wrecker +2 Initiative. Then the bot will get a couple of attacks in before your charging dread.

I think terminators with combi plasma/power fists might not be a bad option. Deep strike in, get a few wounds off from plasma, and then in an assault hit back fairly hard with power fists. Sure, some will die to the castallex before they can attack, but with a +4 invul as long as you aren't facing too big of a castallex unit I think they should be fine. Just don't expect the terminator unit to come out of that fight with many men left standing. 

Tis a real shame TfM doesn't work vs MCs, if that were the case castallex would not be a problem at all for NLs. 

It's come around to that time to bolster my force, so, esteemed fellows of the VIIIth, I seek your advice. 

Since everyone's and their family's terror assault lists now include a leviathan, this seems to be next on the list. What do you find is the best equipment load out for it? Ranged? Combat? Mix? Or really am I just going to have to go wild with magnets. Are there any weapons just not worth ever taking?

Hi guys I've been reading my way though all the comments on here and I've picked up some really good advice and tried putting a list together taking advantage of all the NL rules and terror assault. Any feedback would be greatly appriated.

RoW terror assault

Delegatus, master crafted Nostraman chainglaive, Trophies of judgment, melta bombs, Refractor field, Jetbike.

4 man Command squad, 1x Power fist, 1x Power sword, 1x Lightning claws, 1x power axe, jetbikes.

2 man apothecary detachment. (1 goes with each of the 9 man terror squads)

9 man terror squad, 8 volkit chargers, Sargent -power fist, artificer armour.

Dreadclaw.

9 man terror squad, 8 volkit chargers, Sargent - nostraman chainglaive, artificer armour.

Dreadclaw.

10 man terror squad, 10 bolters.

Drop pod

Fire raptor gunship, reaper autocannons.

Falchion super heavy tank destroyer, space marine crew.

Total 2250

The plan being the 2 dreadclaws drop turn 1 and the guys stay inside then turn 2 the drop pod turns up all 30 men get out fire everything and the 2 terror squad out the dreadclaws assault hopefully outnumbering the enemy for the bonus. Plus hopefully night fighting is still in effect.

As for the jetbikes they haras the enemy and being very bulky count as 3 models when deciding if I outnumber the enemy in the assault. The Falchion sits backs and picks off enemy vehicals and elites with the help of the fire raptor.

What's people's thoughts on this list?

It's come around to that time to bolster my force, so, esteemed fellows of the VIIIth, I seek your advice.

Since everyone's and their family's terror assault lists now include a leviathan, this seems to be next on the list. What do you find is the best equipment load out for it? Ranged? Combat? Mix? Or really am I just going to have to go wild with magnets. Are there any weapons just not worth ever taking?

Magnetise! All weapons have their purpose

Second magnitizing the leviathan weapons, given how expensive the model is it's a good money saver to magnetize the weapons. I'd recommend one melee arm and one ranged weapon, more versatility that way. Grav bombard is my favorite for anti infantry, melta lance for vehicles.

@Hydra, your list looks alright. It would be ideal to give the third squad volkite chargers, boaters are really mediocer on terror squads.

It's come around to that time to bolster my force, so, esteemed fellows of the VIIIth, I seek your advice.

Magnetise! All weapons have their purpose

This is a good idea.

Most of the time in game, however, I think a melta and siege drill is the best investment.

Terror Assault lists are scary good at killing infantry. A little harder to bring consistently effective anti-tank.

I'd like to know what people are thinking about our named characters thus-far; I haven't been able to play, so I'd like to see how people have done with them. I'm just not convinced any of them are worth it over a regular Praetor/Delegatus.

Including our Primarch?
Sevetar, Ophion and Mawdrym specifically; although I'm not opposed to knowing how well our gene-sire has been faring on the table.

Sevatar - I'll take him, because he's Sevatar, and I prefer that feeling of that single rend of doom you push through to topple Eidolon in his pampered 2+ armour, as opposed to just running the oh so typical praetor + paragon + digital. Personal preference.

Mawdrym - eh. Only if it's a particularly fluffy game, or I'm facing another NL list and want a try to prevent Fear. All in all he is reasonably survivable against small arms fire, it's just...why would you want him to survive? He's worse than the other two in combat, in nearly every way. On the other hand if you need some fnp, and filled your Terror Assault consul slot and elite slots, here ya go.

Ophion - I actually really like Ophion, and use him quite a bit. He's the tankiest character we can make/get provided you get him in combat, and he can stick for a few rounds of straight up challenging with a primarch, provided they don't have S8+/ID. 3++, then 3++/4+++, then 3++/3+++ is very good in combat. I mathhammered a Corax vs Ophion fight at some point, and provided Corax doesn't get the charge they can battle it out for a decent 2/3 turns before he falls. If you can get some biomancy powers on him, then it just gets better. Plus he comes with our only guaranteed special hq ap2.

Overall then. Sevatar - satisfying but equally disappointing, he relies too much on rends and precog. Mawdrym - Acceptable in very rare situations. Ophion - if you're going for combat, I'd suggest him.

Since none of our top Legion commanders have decided to secure themselves a suit of armour from a tac squad sgt though, your worse enemy will be ap3. Get them all into combat as soon as possible, or load up on artificer armoured meatshields command squads (here's where you can use Mawdrym's LoS!!!! :wink: ) Once in combat, they're pretty tough compared to most other legion hqs if you're lucky. 4++ rerollable, 5++/5+++ with LoS reroll, 3++ and FnP. So there's my opinions on it all.

Edited by Aeternas

People sell maddrym a bit short, mainly because most builds use terror assault, pride, or assault vanguard. The guy does work in a backfield blob or critical unit, where he can tank small arms and provide fearless so the opponent needs to grind through everyone there. His 3+, reroll FNP has a better chance of blocking than artificer and of course, squad wide buffs scale with the unit. People undervalue Fearless so much, its arguably the second strongest usr in 30k behind infiltrate.

The problem is that if you have terror assault, everything infiltrates; pride doesn't have big enough units to justify the cost; assault vanguard is all about deepstriking. He needs straight up no RoW, or one where tacs are part of the compulsory troop slot. That or putting him with quads and watch your opponent cry as they have to get through two wounds of frustration on top of FNP on the artillery 

It's been a week or two now and I am still trying to make Assault Marines under NL work.

It's the trade between 3x Terror Squads and 3x 15'ish assault marines with power axes.

Just what ROW to run, what else goes with those friends -- remains to be seen!

It's been a week or two now and I am still trying to make Assault Marines under NL work.

It's the trade between 3x Terror Squads and 3x 15'ish assault marines with power axes.

Just what ROW to run, what else goes with those friends -- remains to be seen!

Drop Assault Vanguard for T1 Deepstrike and forcing Snapshots within 12" or Angels Wrath would be the go-to's.