[HH1.0] Night Lords Tactics

Verity

It really depends on how heavy a target you're going against. If it's laser vindis or scorpii or sicarans, then Plasma terminators work fine. If you absolutely need a tank dead turn 1, then machine killer combi vets are what you take

Max squad with Vexilla, 4-5 Combis and AA in a Pod? That seem about right?

I wouldon't max out combi weapons in a veterans squad since it's very expensive, but that doesn't mean I'd take terminators instead. Sure they might be better all around, especially with NL rules but terminators with teleporters is a lot harder to get in melta range than a veterans squad in a drop pod. Terminators with combi plasma will do fine against av12 or below, but for stronger armored targets I'd rather take combi melta vets if my list was low on anti tank.

Hey guys looking for some ideas. I'm currently working on getting my first 2k army together and I've been trying to work out the step upto 2.5k, because I want to use Curze. So far the 2.5k list is:

Terror Assault

HQ

Chaplain - AA, jump pack, refractor field

ELITES

Apothecary - jump pack

5 Terminators - 5x combi plas, 3x fists, 2x chainfists

3 Quad launchers - shatter shells

TROOPS

15 Assault marines - 2x Power Axe, AA, chainglaive, melta bombs

10 Terror marines - Volkite, AA, chainglaive, melta bombs

FAST ATTACK

3 Javelins - 3x multi melta, 6x hunter killer missile

LOW

Konrad Curze

Leaves me 65 points I don't know what to do with. So I ask if you guys have any ideas for me? Thanks muchly in advance.

That list is going to really struggle against heavy armor, which is always a problem for terror assault but I think you still need more anti tank. As the list stands now, you have nothing that can even damage a flare shielded spartan. Leviathan with a melta lance, contemptor-cortus with dual grav, a deredeo or laser destroyer vindicators are all good options for that. I'd drop some assault marines, the apothecary and maybe the terminators to make room for that. 

@SkimaskMohawk - splitting the javs is a good idea many thanks. If it comes to it I can then squeeze a 4th in there :p

@Lord Asvaldir - Thanks for the advice. As a personal preference thing I would rather avoid a leviathan for now, my playstyle tends to lean away from the "obvious choices" where I can :D. Also it is not impossible for me to at least damage such a spartan. All the same I know a spartan will cause some issues but I see it that I will have no guaranteed way to stop it early on without gearing more of my army than I'm willing to at this point towards it. Also with infiltrating if i go second odds are i won't get a shot on it before its dropped its load. At this point (forgive a new player his ignorance) I'm ok with not hurting that spartan and just dealing with the contents when it turns up.

But on the flip side I'm certainly not against trying some vindi laser destroyers (instead of the terminators), the models just look awesome. But in truth they can still do little but ding the front of a spartan for a HP or two.

Bare in mind the contents of that spartan are likely to be after the scariest thing in your army, which will be Curze in his blob.

With a little clever positioning at some luck the owner of the spartan will have choices to make which can force hands on way or another, so it would expose it's side to you at the last possible minute.

With some more luck still the luxury of sitting still allows you to ramp up the vindicators potency (at risk), even then you don't have to hunt Spartans, there's plenty of opportunity to go for other vehicles.

You could definitely squeeze one in and allow yourself room for another javelin at the expense of the terminators.

Helterskelter is spot on about the problem with a spartan. Sure the tank itself doesn't need to be eleminated first turn since it's not that scary, but the contents usually are. Taking out the spartan before it gets it cargo in place strands the big combat unit it's carrying and lets you take care of the unit on your terms, and not the other way around.

I like the Sicaran venator, it's super useful if you have to deal with super heavies like a typhoon. Against spartans you have a decent chance of getting around the flare shields since the venator is fast, and once you do that it's not hard to shut it down. However I would agree that 3 laser vindicators are a better investment.

Guys, I got the :cuss: kicked out of me last week by my brothers Ultramarines when we decided to play a pickup game.

I fully admit I wasn't trying too hard when I built the list and definitely made some costly mistakes by forgetting special rules. Plus we played on a smaller table than 4x4 which really limited my options. I'm not mad though, it was a learning experience.

1900pts. Went with terror assault RoW. Had 3 full terror squads with volkite, beat stick Praetor with command squad in a drop pod, 3 contemptor dreads and a fire raptor.

I forget everything he had but it was something like a 20 man tactical squad, smaller tac squad in a rhino, 10an tac squad, land raider with 5 terminators and a squad of suzies with a Praetor.

I knew things were going poorly when I rolled a 1 for first turn cover of darkness *sigh*. Infiltrate was practically useless with the smaller board size but the terror squads still managed to kill every tactical marine on the board even with me forgetting about Talent for Murder *sigh x2*. My Fire Raptor arrived turn 3 I believe, fired loads of shots, missed with most-even the twin linked ones, and got blown out of the sky on the following round of shooting.

Truly, nothing went my way from the beginning but this is literally only the second time I've played with my army lol. Still had fun though.

Well sounds like one of your issues was just forgetting your greatest assets. Night Lords don't play fair, so don't forget Talent for Murder! 

I wondering if one of your problems was could you deal with that land raider? Depending on how the dreads are loaded out might be tough for you to deal with armor fourteen. Double graviton fist/chainfist is a pretty good loadout for dealing with armor. 

You didn't mention how the suzerians did, but I'm assuming they were a big problem. Not a unit you want to assault with terror squads unless they've been whittled down or if you have a substantially more men in the fight. Best way to deal with them is AP2 shooting, so you could give your command squad all combi plasmas and one round of them shooting would hurt those suzerians bad. 

From what you've said I don't think the big issue was your list, you just need to have the right tools for dealing with suzerians and armor fourteen if you don't have them already. 

All 3 of the dreads had a chain fist specifically in case he added av14. The issue was he tied them up with his tac squad and a dread of his own, the third was killed turn 1 or 2.

The suzerains were a huge pain when they mobbed into my command squad-they're an incredibly dangerous unit I was shocked how good they are!

Combi-plas in the command squad with a pod sounds like a brilliant idea!!

Not playing terror assault at under 2k is the first thing, as blasphemous as that sounds it's a little difficult to support hq and 3 full tooled squads efficiently without points to play with, however next time you should consider javelins in place of one of the contemptors, or grav speeders.

Tank popping becomes easier with strafing run and some nice kit inexpensively with the javs and on a small table you will either force him not to move or you've got your strike where you want it.

The same applies to grav speeders which can throw down the difficult terrain templates hindering movement of other things if you can't get to his tank for whichever reason.

These combined with your fire raptor should have some fun ^_^

Not playing terror assault at under 2k is the first thing, as blasphemous as that sounds it's a little difficult to support hq and 3 full tooled squads efficiently without points to play with, however next time you should consider javelins in place of one of the contemptors, or grav speeders.

Tank popping becomes easier with strafing run and some nice kit inexpensively with the javs and on a small table you will either force him not to move or you've got your strike where you want it.

The same applies to grav speeders which can throw down the difficult terrain templates hindering movement of other things if you can't get to his tank for whichever reason.

These combined with your fire raptor should have some fun ^_^

Thanks I'll definitely give those a chance!