[HH1.0] Word Bearer's Tactics

Brother Keyaetus

Im not much of a rules person but how about a hold and counter force. Use the grav cannon and some breachers to hold the line and hit them with Gal Vorbak, Circle of Ashes and Assault squads.

Im thinking of an Assault company, something that's going to be different from my IWs:

Diabolist and Chaplain with JPs supported by Gal Vorbak (im guessing they can have JPs) Circle, Assault Squads,Destroyers, and Fire Raptors, with a Praetor in TDA with a TDA command squad, maybe another TDA squad, and Tac support squads to mop up.

Gal Vorbak can't take jump packs though they can deep strike, their also bulky so transport options are limited.

I was considering a list including 3 Scorpius whirlwinds, and then any more anti tank I need will be laser rapiers. 

I keep thinking that an all assault force with chaplains/diabolists with ashen circle and gal vorbak are the key but when it comes to 2000pt lists I just fail to add them all together into something workable. Im thinking id just take either Gal Vorbak or Circle...or make ashen circle my only assault marine unit and the rest be either 20man tacticals with ccw or bolters. Only problem there is the damn despoiler units from forgeworld cost a tonne....xD

I think I'm going to have two big squads of 20 Word Bearers, lead by characters supported by graviton cannons and some artillery medusas I think since basilisks min range is a pain on normal boards. Then I'll add in other units that I like the look of, my chapter is going to be the Tri-Fold Crown.

Is Dark Channeling worth it? I mean if I put a chaplain with a unit they get zealot, +1 strength just makes them strength 5 so they can wound marines more but they still get armour save and daemon gives them a 5+ invulnerable but then it also means they can't capture objectives and also count as being destroyed at the end of the game.

But Argel Tal can fly?

hmmm going to have to rethink my idea. Perhaps infantry over all the assault troops.

Correction Argel Tal could fly

oh yeah forgot about how that book ended...

WOT: Tri fold crown is that the attritional warfare guys. I would do large blocks of breacher marines - marching forward relentlessly firing, and Terminators for the same reason. Also the Circle and Destroyers to punish the enemy's sins.

But Argel Tal can fly?

hmmm going to have to rethink my idea. Perhaps infantry over all the assault troops.

WOT: Tri fold crown is that the attritional warfare guys. I would do large blocks of breacher marines - marching forward relentlessly firing, and Terminators for the same reason. Also the Circle and Destroyers to punish the enemy's sins.

Although on a side note, we have no mention of any of the Gal Vorbak flying in The First Heretic. Even Argeel Tal's wings were a later development.

But Argel Tal can fly?

Yeah, according to massacre at least. I figure the graviton cannon may suit them, equally I could of been a boarding focused force, but that doesn't translate well to the battle field imo. Here's the army list I wrote for them.

I wouldn't mind going in a different direction though, for some reason all my forces seem to be attritional like, I want to spice it up, add some things that are not normally seen.

Edited by WoT

• 5 months later...

Necro, deal with it!

So this is my eventual 3k list. Objectives are, 1 be as 'Word Bearer' as possible (RoW, Daemons, Lorgar) be a decent list...and thats about it. :tongue.:

Thoughts? I'm having a tough time with the actual WB troops, and would like them to change, but I'm not sure what I need to do...

Rite of War - The Dark Brethren

Lorgar Transfigured
Chaplain
Diabolist

10 Gal Vorbak, Artificer Armour and Fist on Champ
Contemptor Mortis w/AC
Contemptor w/Conversion Beamer

10 Tacs
10 Tacs
10 Assault

Lascannon Tarantula Gun
Lascannon Tarantula Gun

Spartan

Great Unclean One

15 Plaguebearers
15 Plaguebearers
Edited by Scribe of Khorne

• 1 month later...

Is Dark Channeling worth it? I mean if I put a chaplain with a unit they get zealot, +1 strength just makes them strength 5 so they can wound marines more but they still get armour save and daemon gives them a 5+ invulnerable but then it also means they can't capture objectives and also count as being destroyed at the end of the game.

I'm going to play around with this a bit. In a large unit, where you have many squads that could be buffed, I think its very solid.

Zealot is worth its weight in gold, I have been running Erebus and its a difference maker. The ability to potentially get the same buff for 25 points, on a large Assault or Despoiler squad? Very handy.

I've also gotta throw in for Erebus himself. Solid guy for his points, obviously not Sigismund levels, but the ability to bring Daemons without the Rite of War + Zealot + Biomancy on himself? Good package and has won me my last few games with my WB + Daemons.

There was a whole topic about it and the answer is yes. For one thing, Erebus is a Chaplain. It says so in his title.

Also, both Erebus an Kor Phaeron have access to the Burning Lore, something only Praetors, Centurions, Chaplains and Diabolists can take. Obviously neither are Diabolists as Kor Phaeron is in Terminator armor and neither have Daemon, PE(Loyalists) and nor do they offer Dark Channeling.

Of the two, I'd say only Kor Phaeron cannot fill the slot of being the Chaplain or Diabolist as he is not a Chaplain and he has Termie armour, something a Diabolist cannot have.

A curious question, for you guys, but has anyone found a use for the Tainted Weapon?

I dont think its that great, as you would want it to fight the AdMech monster robots, but you'll get squashed by them...in most scenarios I would try to use it, I would rather send a Daemon.

A curious question, for you guys, but has anyone found a use for the Tainted Weapon?

I dont think its that great, as you would want it to fight the AdMech monster robots, but you'll get squashed by them...in most scenarios I would try to use it, I would rather send a Daemon.

I believe the leaders of Gal Vorbak squads can take tainted weapons, the addition of rending makes it fairly decent.

"diabolists" with burning lore recieved an interesting buff with 7th ed. since psykers with the daemon rule do not peril on doubles when casting malefic daemonology powers (which as per p.28, all Psykers exept for tyranids have access to now).

Here's what forgeworld says I got it off another forum

About the Diabolist status of Erebus / Kor Phaeron. Here's my original questions:

1. Does Erebus count as a Chaplain for the purposes of fulfilling the mandatory additional Chaplain HQ requirement for Word Bearers? He is (or was once) their High Chaplain. Does he also count as a Diabolist for the purposes of fulfulling the Word Bearers Rite Of War requirement, since he's able to give units Dark Channelling?

2. Similarly does Kor Phaeron count as a Diabolist?

And here's the response I got from Forge World:

1. Yes, he does count as a Diabolist and a Chaplain.

2. Yes, he does count as a Diabolist.

So still need two HQs, but something like Kor Phaeron and a Chaplain or Erebus and anything else also give you access to the Word Bearers Rites of War as well as fulfilling the basic Word Bearers rules.

So how are people thinking about word bearers now? 7th edition made psykers actually really good, and WB don't have a shortage of them! And with the unbound lists? How about a all gal vorbak list? Like 3 times 10 gal vorbak guys in storm eagles? Then with a custom made argel tall or something like that?

Unless the FW comes out with a FAQ that says we get unbound lists it doesn't apply to us. Since we have a different FOC then regular 40k and I am honestly hoping they keep it that way or many of the rite of wars would be pointless.