[HH1.0] Word Bearer's Tactics

Brother Keyaetus

having difficulties looking at using the dark brethren ROW.

1 x Heavy support choice is not the best thing considering i wanted to get a spartan that would use up that slot alone as nobody seems to have spartans as designated transport in my list im building.

2k - im looking at the mandatory

Erebus

Centurion/Chaplain

10 x Gal Vorbak

2 x medics + augury scanners

2 x 20 Tac squads + powerfists

Spartan + ceramite + flare shield

This doesnt leave me much left to choose - i will get dry bummed by most tank heavy lists.  Do i go support squad volkites or should the points be thrown into fast attack with primaris lightnings (i have 2 ready painted to go) or look towards rapiers?

Dark channeling may lose me a scoring option as well but i have an option to increase my melee ability with one of the squads.  Im thinking i should jump straight to 2500pts but the local pool of players dont have the funds like me so i'm hovering around this level for a while :(

im not clued up on daemons at all.

i am considering using an achilles + culverins in my list and having two rock solid gun platforms advancing with my WBs.

Or is 300pts a great daemonic stepping stone of a bloodthirster and a handful of nurglings?

I'm planning to run my Gal Vorbak with Plasma guns, lightning claws and arti armour - i couldn't see any benefits in going with a power fist with the amount of rending attacks 10 of these will be at strength 5.  the deep striking reason was why i have plasma guns but theres a good chance these will be delivered by Spartan so i'm unsure at the moment whether to get a spartan or not.  guess it'll take some play testing 

to see what comes out on top.

I just took a peek at the new psychic charts, and wow, taking burning lore is a must.

Telepathy and biomancy are two of the top 3 power trees to pick from.

Psychic shriek and smite are awesome for killing marines in 30k, not to mention the other good rolls on the chart

I tried to summon daemons with just a single lvl 1 guy (Erebus) and it was painful, admittedly on 5 dice I rolled a 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 once, every other time I rolled double 3s a lot. Will try it again with a diabolist so I don't suffer perils on any doubles, if not I'll not bother trying to summon daemons until I add a librarian to add more warp charges.

Edited by WoT

Just realized that with the proliferation of Psykers in many metas the Word Bearers Rite of War looks disgusting to play against. 

The idea of a Seer Council deathstar blowing up due to its own Perils sounds too funny. :biggrin.:

he does seem an auto include - i haven't been able to come up with a semi competitive list that doesn't include him so far.  i have no idea why people would take KP over erebus either?  

Are you making use of dark channeling much?

he does seem an auto include - i haven't been able to come up with a semi competitive list that doesn't include him so far.  i have no idea why people would take KP over erebus either?  

Are you making use of dark channeling much?

Not yet the points just stack up so much that I've not been able to pay for them yet since I've only played a 1k game and only have a 1k and 1.5k list so far. I'm unsure whether to continue with them after I get my contemptor cause the way Word Bearers work seems pretty restrictive and point intensive.

Hey guys I was wondering what would be the first unit you summon if you're considering using a diabolist to summon daemons. I was thinking seekers because if you go second you could potentially get the jump on any units that advance do the fact you can start 12" on, move 6 forward, summon 12" in front and then charge perhaps up to 12" with the ability to roll any dodgy dice, that's already half way across the board.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys I was wondering what would be the first unit you summon if you're considering using a diabolist to summon daemons. I was thinking seekers because if you go second you could potentially get the jump on any units that advance do the fact you can start 12" on, move 6 forward, summon 12" in front and then charge perhaps up to 12" with the ability to roll any dodgy dice, that's already half way across the board.

They can't charge the turn the arrive. So they will be sitting ducks for a turn. I've played a few games against summoning Daemon armies and they tend to bring in Horrors first for that extra warp charge then bring down daemonettes if they need offensive power or plague bearers if they want something to sit on an objective.

• 6 months later...

So I wanted to necro this thread harder than Rasputin but here's something I'm playing around with (I will add more later):

Take two 15 man assault squads. You benefit so much from the leadership buff and rerolls to sweep it's crazy. I know assault squads are pricey, but the WBs make them strong.

Now take a diabolist and give dark channeling to these squads. You can get zealot (getting a 25 point chaplain effectively? He'll yeah) and get rerolls to hit with your assault squad and get fearless, which makes the unit tarpit-y. The plus 1 to S is also great because it benefits the regular chainsword guys, not to mention the various power weapons you're taking. Getting daemon is actually pretty great too despite losing the ability to score, however, were you really grabbing objectives with assault squads anyway? The 5++ and the fear usr are just great.

I'd also take a 5-10 man terminator squad and give them channeling too, the only bad result would be daemon because they already have an inv, but the fear could be useful. The biggest winner here is if you give nearly all of them power fists and get the +1 S. You now have S10 power fists gentlemen.

In a similar theme to giving termies Dark Channeling, I'm seriously considering taking a Praevian and 3-4 Castellax. Unlike a lot of the consul upgrades, the Praevian isn't a support officer, so you can take him with just Erebus to open up Dark Channelling. This lets you give the Castellax Dark Channeling. Again the only bad option is Daemon since the Castellax already have Atomantic shielding. You can also choose to give the Castellax Furious Charge, Tank Hunters or Scout instead of the Legion Astartes (Word Bearers) special rule.

Imagine the modelling opportunities trying to make the Castellax look daemonically possessed. Then run them along side a Mhara Gal (well 6" away if Dark Channeling gives you daemon) for extra awesomeness.