[HH1.0] Iron Hands Tactics

Noctus Cornix

I use a Small 5 man unit with 4 Grav and a Auger Scanner in some of my lists when am expecting Drop Pods or outfalnkers but over all there a but lack luster Because of the Gravation guns being Heavy weapons and only 18' I rather run the Gravaton Cannons.

if you want too use them i sugest useing them on Gorgons as there relentless 10 in a sparten with 2 Grav guns and a couple of ChainFists can make anyone day bad.

I like 'em. Deploy as in a rhino as far forward and to the centre, as possible, move up 6", disembark 6" into cover and boom. Middle of the table helps with the range and stationary issue, slays Spartans like no-one's business and can slow people down if nowt else.

I like 'em. Deploy as in a rhino as far forward and to the centre, as possible, move up 6", disembark 6" into cover and boom. Middle of the table helps with the range and stationary issue, slays Spartans like no-one's business and can slow people down if nowt else.

You mean, move 6 disembark 6 and then hope your opponent stays in range to fire next turn?

The nice thing about graviton guns is they don't necessarily have to fire to be useful, just their threat to vehicles is enough to create a dead zone around them. With 7th Edition, haywire is 100% the most effective and efficient way to deal with vehicles, and with that prowess comes a lot of respect.

One way I like to use them is in a Tactical Blob list. Tactical squads en masse (esp. Iron Hands Tacticals) tend to be pretty darn durable against shooting, so the best way to handle them is in melee. However, if you run them near a grav support squad, suddenly your opponent's options become more limited. Attack with a Contemptor? Haywire'll blow it up. Transport in a unit in a Spartan? Haywire + AT will blow it up, and then eat a short-range rapid fire/FotL on the unit inside.

They certainly aren't great without Relentless, but they're decent as an area denial weapon. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

How does this sound as starting point for 1750 as potential Xth Legion convert?

New Roster (1750pts)
Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness)
  • HQ
    • Spearhead-Centurion Castrmen Orth
  • Troops
    • Legion Breacher Siege Squad

14x Legion Breacher Siege Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, 3x Melta gun

• Legion Breacher Siege Sergeant

Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Fist

• Legion Tactical Squad

14x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade

• Legion Tactical Sergeant

Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Weapon

• Elites
    • Apothecarion Detachment
      • Legion Apothecary

Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner

• Legion Apothecary

• Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought

Blessed Autosimulacra, Havoc Launcher, Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons

• Legion Rapier Weapons Battery

Graviton Cannon

Graviton Cannon

• Heavy Support
    • Legion Heavy Support Squad

4x Legion Space Marines, Volkite Culverin

• Legion Sergeant

• Legion Sicaran Battle Tank

Armoured Ceramite, Blessed Autosimulacra, Lascannons

• Legion Vindicator

Armoured Ceramite, Blessed Autosimulacra, Laser Destroyer Array

• Legion
    • Legion Astartes

X: Iron Hands

does anyone use a landraider heavy list?

With the row o believe you can take one as a dedicated transport per unit. Yay to scoring raiders. Plus how would orth perform in an Achilles alpha?

Not particularly spectacularly, I'm afraid. Orth grants 2 key upgrades - BS5 & Tank Hunters. He doesn't work well with the main cannon and the Alpha can't upgrade it's Volkite Sponsons to Multi-melta's. The Quad gun's Shatter shells have 'Sunder' which allows you to re-roll Armour Penetration. This is exactly the same as Tank Hunters, so is redundant as you can't re-roll a re-roll.

So in conclusion, he only benefits your chances to hit and 2 of your 3 weapons and his Tank Hunters does basically nothing. On a regular Achilles at least he buffs the Multi-melta's. So he's still not bad, but doesn't provide as much of an upgrade as he does to say, a Sicaran or Venator.

Edited by Emperors Teeth

The Achilles-Alpha can take (well, comes naturally with) TL Volkite Culverin Sponsons; and prior to the Red Book, was the only access to Shatter Shells on the Quad Mortar (although that Changed in the Red Book), and the Alpha has Galvanic Traction Engines (essentially Dozer Blade without the ram bonus).

In return, the Achilles (Bravo?) has the option for a Pintle Heavy Weapon and if taken in 3's, then can become a Command Tank (actually, a pretty good option if you want, as you abuse the squadron rules to avoid the non-barrage rules for blast weapons; like Graviton, as it's otherwise an incredibly tough tank).

Hey guys,

How does this sound as starting point for 1750 as potential Xth Legion convert?

New Roster (1750pts)

Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness)
  • HQ
    • Spearhead-Centurion Castrmen Orth
  • Troops
    • Legion Breacher Siege Squad

14x Legion Breacher Siege Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, 3x Melta gun

• Legion Breacher Siege Sergeant

Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Fist

• Legion Tactical Squad

14x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade

• Legion Tactical Sergeant

Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Weapon

• Elites
    • Apothecarion Detachment
      • Legion Apothecary

• Legion Apothecary

• Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought

Blessed Autosimulacra, Havoc Launcher, Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons

Graviton Cannon

Graviton Cannon

• Heavy Support
    • Legion Heavy Support Squad

4x Legion Space Marines, Volkite Culverin

• Legion Sergeant

• Legion Sicaran Battle Tank

Armoured Ceramite, Blessed Autosimulacra, Lascannons

• Legion Vindicator

Armoured Ceramite, Blessed Autosimulacra, Laser Destroyer Array

• Legion
    • Legion Astartes

X: Iron Hands

It's a little unclear in the list, but does the Heavy Weapons sergeant have a Volkite Culverin? He can take that (LACAL book update) and also buy the scanner.

The list seems normal enough, but I don't think you're going to get much mileage out of the Breachers. They have no transport, so getting those melta's into range is going to mean a hard slog at what is probably a target that can move faster than them. You have no provision in the list to transport them. You'd probably be better taking a second Tactical Squad and possible not bothering with the extra cc weapon either. You'd save a lot of points and get more shots with 2 squads Fury of the Legion-ing. You could use the saved points (that'd be around 150pts?) to get a third Graviton Rapier and a Defence Line to bunker-up the Rapiers and one of the squads.

You could even reduce one squad down to 10 and take a Rhino as an objective-grabbing unit. Maybe squeeze a few points from somewhere and make the non-mounted unit a 20-man blob?

Well it was lucky dice, but my only use of him so far had him holding up ten terminators and a super-buffed Lorgar for about thirteen rounds of combat. So he's a good lad. Mind, nothing much beats outflanking a Glaive and wiping out a whole battle line at once.

The glaive does look awesome, Perhaps I could be tempted to extend the budget!

The terminators/Spartan/Ferrus idea seems like a massive points sink to me, I worry about putting over 1000pts into a single unit.

Any other suggestions for a "primarch delivery" method? Or would it be worth just foot slogging with a mass of tactical marines?

I played in a big game where someone put Angron and a unit in a Storm Eagle. I thought it was a terrible idea, and it was for the unit at least. Inevitably the Storm Eagle took an army's worth of firepower and was downed within a turn or two (no Flak to shoot it accurately). This ended somewhat badly as despite killing almost everyone aboard, there was of course one survivor, now in the center of our deployment zone... and he was angry.

he he, just like Istvaan 3.... 

I'm not sure our Primarch would do as well on his own, Angron seems like murder to most infantry squads. Whereas Ferrus seems best against tougher targets, his small number of attacks would see him tar-pitted against larger infantry squads. But that's just my observation, rather than based on any practical experience. 

How about running him with a command squad in a dreadclaw? Turn 1 deepstrike, keep the squad embarked, guaranteed turn 2 assault. Would that leave him too isolated? 

It's cheap-ish, and would cause 2 things to happen: You opponent would immediately make an open space around the drop pod, and it would disrupt his plans even more than Drop Pods usually do. Primarch-presence-power having that effect.

Better still if he shoots it to bits, as it draws fire from the rest of your army and Ferrus will still likely survive.

Unfortunately, I invested in a ten man squad of tartaros before the Gorgons were released.

But I agree, the benefits the Gorgans bring more than justify their higher cost. I suppose with Ferrus, they will still get FNP 6+, and we don't want to make it too hard for the traitors......