[HH1.0] Iron Hands Tactics

Noctus Cornix

Well looks like I finally did it, I finally made up my mind and joined the tenth:biggrin.:  I ordered a small force of 15 immortals, a Deredero with  plasma and missile launcher, plus a MkIII Techmarine as well as some potential conversion bits. May be a little bit of a wait till I get them since I am in NZ but just thought I would get some tactical advice first. I was going to run the immortals as a coo looking Breacher unit since they do the same and are troops but don't know about how to run the Techmarine?. I am either going to run him as a forgelord or a iron faher bit can't decide though whichever I choose is going to be rocking a shield since it looks awesome, I was going to start off with a collecting a small army of heresy iron hands at first probably 1500 - 2000 so would a cheap forgelord be better or the preator. I like the fact that Forgelord can take rad grenades to help with de buffing the enemy plus a conversion beamer would look cool though praetor has paragon blade which seems nice, there is also the iron hands relic the grav gauntlet which I like the looks of. Please help.

Also  if someone could point me in the direction for a good painting guide for HH Iron hands I would be extremely grateful :smile.:

Cheers 

Edited by teutonicavenger

You want regret it mate.  Usually takes around 10 days to get to OZ so I imagine it wont take any longer then that.  I have a spare Immortals Shield for your techmarine too if you would like it.  In regards to the Immortals, I use mine primarily as breachers most of the time because as you say they just look cool.  I magnetised all the bolters though so I can swap out for all Volkite Chargers if I choose to run them as Immortals.  I'd run him as a Forgelord for now, the Cataphractii Preator is just to good, especially when you give him a Cyber Familar for +1 to his invul.  If you really wan to theme him up a bit an idea would be to make him as a sergent for your "breacher squad", would be pretty tematic and you could explain away the servo army as simply a power fist.  something to mull over anyway.

Cheers,

Skarlinger

You want regret it mate. Usually takes around 10 days to get to OZ so I imagine it wont take any longer then that. I have a spare Immortals Shield for your techmarine too if you would like it. In regards to the Immortals, I use mine primarily as breachers most of the time because as you say they just look cool. I magnetised all the bolters though so I can swap out for all Volkite Chargers if I choose to run them as Immortals. I'd run him as a Forgelord for now, the Cataphractii Preator is just to good, especially when you give him a Cyber Familar for +1 to his invul. If you really wan to theme him up a bit an idea would be to make him as a sergent for your "breacher squad", would be pretty tematic and you could explain away the servo army as simply a power fist. something to mull over anyway.

Cheers,

Skarlinger

Wow thanks man that would be awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

I may be a bit OT, but I want to bring back to life the talking about Breachers vs Medusan Immortals.

It is true, Immortals are more expensive (2pts per marine) BUT:

1) they have fnp (5+) which is not to be discarded so quickly

2) AND they may be upgraded with volkyte weapons.

Melta on the entire squad is too expensive, I'd keep them anti-infrantry.

And now, the interesting part: Medusan Immortals have a SPARTAN as Dedicated Transport. No, breachers don't have it. And now remember what Head of the Gorgon let's us do: yes, high armour tanks may flank.

So yes, we may have a flanking Spartan with 20 Immortals inside which can arrive, shoot like hell on earth against a infantry squad and a tank (from the spartan, which can have a pintle multimelta, too), and then sit there, with the opponent being forced to choose what to shoot at.

Thing is, it's an INSANE points investment:

Medusan Immortals; 20 men + 20 Volkite chargers, inc. sergeant + Power fist

+ Spartan Assault Tank + Flare shield, Armoured Ceramite

=825 points

(squad: 485, tank: 340)

825 points! That's nuts! It's Elites, it doesn't score in Age of Darkness games and really doesn't have a massive impact when it hits the board compared to say... a Warhound Titan, which is cheaper! I wish this wasn't the case as it would look simply fantastic and be a joy to place on the table, but nearly a thousand points for a unit with 3+'s, only AP5 shooting and negligible melee capability is just not good enough in my opinion. At least it would be really hard to kill them all before the end of the game.

Edited by Emperors Teeth

Also, if you're running Ferrus, standard breachers will have FNP 6+. Although not as good as the immortals FNP bonus, IMHO it makes them a less attractive option in a list containing Ferrus.

I want to love them, but they need a points reduction to be viable (as do breachers)

Just a quick aside, has anyone considered using Vorax in their lists (with or without a praevian)? The cost/equipment changes in the latest mechanium book make them more viable. Especially as castellax are bound to get a points increase in the next LACAL FAQ to bring them in line.

I like them as I play mainly on foot so using the thallax to rush heavy artillery so my tacs have time to make it up the board while ppl are distracted by my predator squadron. And having access to so many cortex controllers means u never really have to worry about programmed behavior

Honestly I'm never really satisfied with my Thallax squads- their lightning guns don't put out enough shots so it's all about their special weapon. I ran them with a multi melta and deep strike, but they never do enough in my opinion. When I use them with a photon thruster they perform better, but they don't shine until I'm running them in groups of 6 or with a myrmidon magos.

They add some mobility to static legion lists, but now that linebreaker isn't a thing I'd rather take Vorax or Castellax.

I'm probably going to add some Vorax they look quite cool haven't really got the new army lost book with them but are they fast attack or heavy support? Also can I take them if I got a cortex controller or is it only with that special consul.

I am also thinking of having my forgelord with the Grav gauntlet, has anyone used it as I really like the sound of it

That's not right, Raktra. A Cortex Controller grants you access to a single unit of Castellax battle-automata or un-augmented Thallax as a single Heavy Support Choice. You can't have Domitar, Vorax or any other Mechanicum-y things with a Cortex Controller.

As Iron Hands, there is another way. If you use our Rite of War 'The Head of the Gorgon', you can take any Battle-automata Maniples as Elites choices. This includes: Castellax, Domitar and Vorax.*

*But not Thanatar, as they are Siege-automata, not Battle-automata.

Greetings fellow brothers!

I would like to ask how you run your Contemptor Dreadnoughts? I don't want to miss the free shipping opportunity, and bolster my forces with some add-ons. My choice would be a Contemptor Talon of 2 but I didn't know how to kit them out. For anti-air service I will add a Deredeo. I think my force lacks right now some dedicated tank hunters, but maybe there would be a better choice for that than the Dreadnoughts...

Depends.

I Personally tend to favour Chainfist & Grav + Kheres for a Multi-purpose dread.

Dual Fists w/ Dual Grav gives you an Anti-Tank Edge and a slight CC Boost with +1A.

Of the Possible Loadouts, the Dual Fist can be a good starting point since you have in-hand weapons that can deal with a variety of threats: Heavy Flamer, Melta Gun, Graviton Gun and Plasma Blaster. Only problem is range at this point since none of the shooting in-hand weapons go beyond 18" unless you keep the combi-bolter.

Honestly, just buy the 2 Contemptors and any/all arm options that might interest you can just magnetize them.

As a contemptor dreadnought addict, I tend to field double kheres as it is great anti.... well everything. Chainfist + grav has merit against other legions - it can strip armour nicely and just wreck havoc if knights are on the other side of the table.

Another loadout that I love is the heavy conversion beamer. Park that dude in a corner and drop S10 AP 1 templates while having a fist and heavy flamer for close range scraps is good for business. 

Thanks for the advices!

Well, I have only 30 Tacticals, 10 Breachers and a Sicaran BT right now, and my initial thought was to get a Centurion and these Dread's for now (I would like to buy a Deredeo and a Sicaran Venator for Christmas), and later bulk up my force with a Gorgon/Spartan Deathstar.

I'm not sure they should bring those attacks up too much. It's just another add to the realm of 40k craziness that's going on along with grav and other stupidly Killy things.

Keep 30k sensible, they already smash their way through quite a lot as they are!

Dreadnoughts having 4 attacks base makes tons of sense actually, I have been advocating this for a long time. It takes forever for a dreadnought to plow through  a 10 man squad. bogging them down with models was always a valid tactic. Considering they are supposed to be the rough equivalent of monstrous creatures, who have more atttacks, stomps and smash attacks, they needed a little more oomph factor.

Everytime my infantry gets charged by a dread they get smashed, and run away like little girls failing their leadership tests. Bigger squads will bog him down, but it would do in 'real life' as well.

Other problem is if you start increasing the stats, will the cost points wise go up too?

They are big yes, and will usually kill 4/ 5 on the charge along with shooting right?

If he charges at a tank it should blow it up, or finish it off from grav shots.

Sorry Do you mean a sentinel? As in a guard sentinel?