[HH1.0] Iron Hands Tactics

Noctus Cornix

My group is likely going to import the rules from the new space marines codex: a points decrease and 4 attacks base. We're also raising the number of contemptor attacks to match. Once we have a few months playing this way I'll let you know how we feel about the balance :smile.:

My group is likely going to import the rules from the new space marines codex: a points decrease and 4 attacks base. We're also raising the number of contemptor attacks to match. Once we have a few months playing this way I'll let you know how we feel about the balance :)

That's a good way of approaching it. See how it goes and let us know!

Also, will you apply the Legiones Astartes rule to them too?

Hi all!! I have recently liquidated all of my 40k armies and have decided to go all in on an Iron hands 30k force. (I got sick of the "non fluff" power gaming scene :P)  I have read all of the Horus Heresy series and have been a true fan since RT days. I have and continue to be blown away by the work FW has been putting out. After going over all of the great advice on these pages I wanted some advice on a force for myself. I have been a huge fan of the Iron hands over the years. (Still irritated with how Ferrus went out) I am looking to build an army from the ground up. A force that's both fun to play, play against and not obnoxious. 

Side note: I also have a love of Titans! (check out my gallery if you get a sec :) )

That's a good way of approaching it. See how it goes and let us know!

Also, will you apply the Legiones Astartes rule to them too?

We dropped the price on contemptors by 20 points, but we hadn't thought of confering over the Legiones Astartes special rules. Nice suggestion!

Hi all!! I have recently liquidated all of my 40k armies and have decided to go all in on an Iron hands 30k force. (I got sick of the "non fluff" power gaming scene :P) I have read all of the Horus Heresy series and have been a true fan since RT days. I have and continue to be blown away by the work FW has been putting out. After going over all of the great advice on these pages I wanted some advice on a force for myself. I have been a huge fan of the Iron hands over the years. (Still irritated with how Ferrus went out) I am looking to build an army from the ground up. A force that's both fun to play, play against and not obnoxious.

Side note: I also have a love of Titans! (check out my gallery if you get a sec :) )

This guy's my type of frater.

Love the look of the Gorgons. I'm thinking a 10 man unit in a spartan. From previous posts it looks like a solid choice for loadout would be a couple of chain fists and grav's? Go big or go home?

I am a big fan of contemptors so I am going to grab a couple of them. They look like a lot of fun. Sicaran looks pretty reliable. I like the look of the fire raptor but is it worth it? BTW looking to build a 3000-3500 pts list to start. :)

Thanks again for the input.

To be honest, the Iron Hands have lots of room for cool army designs. We have the best toys in the galaxy, ample supply of them and we brofist the mechanicum like no one else in the setting.

Attrition is a great way to go with IH, and I love the Head of the Gorgon. Proteus landraiders and spartans everywhere, with typhons and ceberus as LoWs have a nice unified and techy look.

Thanks Wolf_Palk. I am seeing that IH are definitely spoiled for options.

I like the idea of an attrition force and definitely going with the Head of the Gorgon. 10 man Gorgons & Spartan on there way along with a contemptor! :)

How would you guys flesh out (no pun intended) the troops though? Tac blobs, tac w/ rhino or shield guys?

Side note: I read that survivors of Istavan have been represented with a red shoulder pad?

It depends on how large you are looking to make your army.

A Double proteus + spartan spearhead just bulldozes forward shrugging off most things throw at them. Tactical support in a proteus is a nice durable firebase. The landraiders are great for blocking line of sight and unlike rhinos, they have good offensive value with 2 twin-linked lascannons and are tough as nails.

For the backfield, I like a nice 20 man tacblob with apothecary, 1 or 2 10 man units with rhinos for objective grabs, rapiers and other anti tank options. Breachers are a great option against Knights and dreads as they can take melta bombs, but they get expensive real fast. 

The red shoulderpad is awesome for 2 things. The commemorative aspect and because it breaks that overdose of black present on IH armour. I never turned back after doing mine.

Looking to start a 3000-3500 pts list. (Titans will be added for bigger games :) )

I like that bulldozing formation. Gorgons in the Spartan a good idea? My fluffy thoughts on them would be they are ashamed of their failure to protect their primarch so they are wanting to get into combat as fast as possible.

Just a straight 20 man tac blob? Do you take an apothecary elite choice  (field more than one) and then just place one in the tac squad? I like the idea of 2 smaller squads with rhinos as objective grabbers.  I saw how expensive those breachers can get. :(  What rapiers would you recommend?

Done. I am doing the red shoulder pad. :) I really want to theme this force as survivors of the massacre whom have found their way to Mars and are attempting to help retake/ restock to launch a more powerful attack against the traitors.

HQ thoughts: Orth in a sicaran looks amazing, but what about a forgelord with a group of castellax w/darkfire cannons?

Sounds like fun! :smile.:

How is everyone equipping their Gorgons? It was stated earlier 10man with 2 grav and 2 chain fists in a Spartan. Is this still a solid build or have others found different options that work well?

Edited by Demonknight

Dreads aren't killy enough against infantry. They can take on other armoured targets, but a single heavy weapon and 3-4 attacks is not a good thing.

If they get access to Legiones Astartes, then it could get quite silly (IH and RG especially), but if WE got Rage/Furious Charge (a FC Contemptor Mortis hits with S8 AP- after all), while SoH got another at I1... It would not be too bad.

Thanks for all the great info!!!

So the Praevian is an upgrade for a centurion? Does that mean he still has access to all the centurion gear other than no bike or termi armour? So in that case boarding shield (Wolf_Pack) and a bolter (Raktra) is a good all around build to maximise his benefits? I am definitely planning on running mine with Castellax w/darkfire.

If I still want to run Head of the Gorgon do I get a second detachment of them or would it be better to choose something else?

BTW I just finished my first squad of Gorgons w/red shoulder pad. They do look awesome. Thanks again Wolf! :)