[HH1.0] Iron Hands Tactics

Noctus Cornix

I have a question for all the Iron fathers, for troops is it better to use smaller squads all with dedicated transports when using Head of the Gorgon and have them outflank or is it best to keep them in maxed out squads sweeping across the board? Currently I have 1 20 man tactical squad and 1 20 man Breacher Siege squad.

I like infantry very much, but tanks rule in 7th edition heresy. Head of the Gorgon tailors to that fact very well. Spartans and Proteus Land raiders just dominate the field, as they are very hard to remove effectively with ceramite armour. I've played 5 games yet (some 40k cross over) and my spartan as yet to fall. I am going to cut my tactical squad in half so I can mount 10 man units into landraiders, and have a 20 man breacher squad and 10 man gorgons in 2 spartans.

Contemptors are great support pieces too. That armour and shielding is just top notch.

Graviton guns are just sooo awful. Why they are heavy just bloggles my mind, even at 18 inches...

will post my list tonight for the campaign

Graviton guns are just sooo awful. Why they are heavy just bloggles my mind, even at 18 inches...

Thanks for mentioning that I was going to load out the breachers with gravitons but forgot they are heavy, I would think melta guns would be the next best yes? I figure 20 melta bombs, and 4 melta guns should take out just about any heavy support ill face. I play 30k but at my local store no one else does so I don't have to worry too much about ceramite armour.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Leonite...

Having a Dread Heavy Army is doable with any Legion since you can take up to 3(4?) Elites Slots and Dreadnought talons are 1-3 per. So that alone gives you either 9 or 12 Dreadnoughts in a single force.

Granted that limits anything else you could take in the Elites slot but hey, you can do it. Also since their AV13 Vehicles, they benefit from anything that boosts units with those stats.

Well yes, all that is true, but if the case comes to be that I want to take a Praetor, I'd much prefer to be able to pick an Iron Father than anything else, if that makes sense.

A shame about the elites slots though, limits me to a "Squad" of 6-9 as I am still taking Apothecaries. 

Also, I thought it'd be a little more fluffy for the "Iron Within, Iron Without" (EDIT: Woops, mixing my Irons there with catchphrases)Tenth to have a large concentration of Dreadnoughts at lower levels of points. Them or Peturbo's Legion

Edited by Leonite

You see this is what I get for not having the books yet. Still, it's all things for me to keep in mind. Is there any benefits between, say, the Salamanders when compared to the Iron Hands in a Legion force? I already understand that the Iron Hands have the advantage of the Iron Father and the fact that their Troop Choices are going to be tougher than most, given that you guys know the Hands (and other legions), is there anything I'm missing?

Actually, you know what? I'm opening this as a separate topic in the main thread. Leave the Iron Hands thread to the Iron Hands.