[HH1.0] Iron Hands Tactics

Noctus Cornix

Thanks...thats a considerable buff...2 plasma support squads with Preferred Enemy, FNP(apothecary) & armour inviolate; one squad with BS5- master of signal w/ void shield harness/refractor field/artificer/cyber familiar. Expensive, but quite lethal. Worth the points?

@ Basswave if you plan on having a 20 man squad, they can make a good bullying/late objective control unit. My only problem with them is that outflanking in a transport is always a better delivery system in Head of the Gorgon.

They do shine in games were the game drags on if they can survivd to the late game.

Castermen Orth, Slayer of Armour Values, Bane of Tanks, Survivor of Vehicule Explosions

The Spearhead Centurion looks very odd as a special character at first glance. He has a very niche function, and brings no apparent force multiplier or benefits to the army in general. Then, why is he such a good pick? 

Well, there are a few reasons for that. First and foremost, the X legion is tank heavy in theme. We have the best tank support in the game in the form of Iron Fathers and forgelords, with the Blessed Autosimulacra and Ferrus with his IWND bonus. Historically speaking (and this applies to 30k as well) if your armour can outlast your opponent's armour, you will win the attrition via dominance of armour values. So we know that we are tough, and Orth makes us better at killing enemy armour, creating an even bigger and faster gap in the superiority race.

Second, we are not a close combat oriented legion. We excel in having durable mobile fire bases. We want short ranged fire fights. This means that Praetors and Centurions have limited uses for us, and they are unfortunately mandatory. They need to bring something tangible outside of their usual melee prowess. In comes Casttermen Orth. He is really cheap, transforms any tank into a murder engin. He particularly shines with tanks that do not have twin linked weapons. He increases their reliabilty the most.

Third, well, he also survives the death of is engin. This is a pretty big deal. going after his tank is not enough to get slay the warlord. You have to get to him afterwards has he gains cover from the wreckage.

He only has 2 major downsides. The first, is that he further polarizes the strength and weaknesses of your force. he will not tarpit another Hq choice in close combat, nor is he intended to be. Making getting in close combat with your force a top priority for the enemy.  By the same token, he forces you to bring more armour. Your need multiple threats for your opponent's anti-tank weapons to aim at. If he is the only obvious choice, he will get dropped quickly.

pros

- Cheap!

- Great Anti-Tank option (bonus points for a sicaran, or any other tank without tons of twin-linked weapons)

- Fills your mandatory HQ slot

Cons

- Stiff army composition

- Further polarizes your strengths and weaknesses

He's probably also one of the best, and most reliable, ways to handle Flare Shield/ Ceramite Spartans at range rather than combat when at the helm of a Sicaran. I don't reckon he's that bad on foot either, when compared to a regular Centurion at least.

He's probably also one of the best, and most reliable, ways to handle Flare Shield/ Ceramite Spartans at range rather than combat when at the helm of a Sicaran. I don't reckon he's that bad on foot either, when compared to a regular Centurion at least.

He gets is ass beat to a soundtrack by any CC oriented character. he can bully sergeants sure, but he should not be anywhere near an engagement.

I somewhat disagree with Wolf_pack's notion that we're not a close combat orientated Legion. Far from it, we could potentially be one of the most effective ones. Our Assault Marines are more durable getting across the board, our assault vehicles are tougher and last longer and we bring more than enough firepower at close range to make a charge to finish off survivors a very safe bet. Praetors and Centurions fit into those niche roles perfectly fine.

I never said we were bad at it (any marine is good enough at it) it's just that it is not our strength.

We have no advantage over our oponents when in CC. We might be able to get there a little easier thanks to inviolate armour, but that's it.

We are better in a counter assault situation with gorgons cleaning up or breachers / despoilers.

Damn, Wolf's response is better than mine... Yeah, it's not that we lack the capacity for it, it's just the lack of bonuses outside potential for 3++ and... That's it really, far as I remember. Hell, even Ferrus isn't that amazing a fighter. Edited by Raktra

You cant put him in Super-heavies, right? O_O

Idk. I think the limitations was he needed to be in a tank with AV 13 or over. I mean you could toss him in an Achilles or Spartan, but I don't know if he'd bring much use to a super heavy as their weapons alone are pretty powerful.

...shove him in to a Glaive/Fellblade/Falchion and enjoy if thats the case...all of them getting BS5 and Tank Hunters means that its going to be a Royal Pain Train.

Im pretty sure he cant as super heavies dont have type tank.

"At the beginning of the game, Castrmen Orth must be assigned to a single vehicle or super-heavy in his detachment which has both the ‘Tank’ type and has a front Armour value of at least 13."

...except you are correct in that Super-heavy Vehicles don't have the tank type. Methinks there's a bit of an oversight here. Rules email winging its way to FW as we speak :wink:.

Edited by Emperors Teeth