[HH1.0] Iron Hands Tactics

Noctus Cornix

What are thoughts on Gorgons? I'm a bit wary of them due to their points cost, and their lack of a 4++. If they had say, T5/4++ and costed 190-5 (without Hammer, Blind, Fnp) I would always take them...

But at 200 points.... I worry about them being shredded by tougher units.

Am I deeply mistaken?

Thanks.

Orth is great, I have slowly realised. Many HQ choices are taxes, who do little, but he can break heavy vehicles to pieces.

Each Terminator's only 5pts more than a regular one, gets free FNP, fancy blinding tricks and the usual Iron Hands bonuses, it's a damn bargain s'what it is. Look at it starting, when you factor in the hammer the sarge has, it's only 15pts more than an identically equipped standard Terminator unit. That's just awesome.

But it's 80 pts for tank hunter, BS5 (which in a lascannon sicarian is beast) and his a compulsory HQ in an AV13 ride that he survives the destruction of. I use him every game and never lost him.

I just used him as my HQ in my Sicaran Battle tank in a 1500 pt game agains Mech Guard and he did amazing, like I have never had an HQ perform so well kind of amazing. He is a must take for me now.

This thread has been incredibly useful and interesting to read. Thank you, fellow Iron Fathers. I can't believe that I've been ignoring Orth for so long.

I know many of you seem to be fond of Mor, but what do people think of a generic Iron Father? I've been toying with the idea of running an Iron Father with cataphractii armour and twin LCs (and some extras). Do you think this would work?

Considering how the points value is exactly the same as Mor, would I just be better off using Mor? Whichever one I use will be backed up by a squad. 

Gday all. Im hearing Orth survives the destruction of the vehicle he rides in. Where can I find this gem of a rule ?

In his 'Spearhead Commander' commander special rule. Last two sentences of the first paragraph, but do read the whole thing.

He's pretty badass even on foot. Only wearing Power Armour, unfortunately, but at least being equipped with a Refractor Field and Cyber familiar he's rocking a 4+ Inv save. He's an Independent Character also, so may join a unit and board their transport and stay in the fight. Not a bad fighter either, with his Power Maul and Tank Hunter, and two close combat weapons. You'll get a good 5 Attacks at Str6 AP4 on the charge. Against most vehicles on their rear armour, I rather favour his chances of doing some damage.

Edited by Emperors Teeth

Here's a list I've been running lately. It does quite well up close, the Gorgon's Blind shenanigans doing wonders to make up for their limited numbers. But it's by no means on the same level as the lists you guys have decided to share. This is just something small in model count that I can actually get painted quickly.

1850 points Iron Hands

• HQ
    • Legion Centurion 

Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Cortex Controller, Cyber-familiar, Consul, Independent Character, Legiones Astartes

• Consul

Forge Lord

Battlesmith

• Legion Praetor
    • Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Cyber-familiar, Digital Lasers, Iron Father, Pair of Lightning Claws

Independent Character, Legiones Astartes

• Master of the Legion

Pride of the Legion

• Troops
    • Gorgon Terminator Squad 

4x Gorgon Terminator, Land Raider Phobos, Pair of Lightning Claws, 3x Power Fist, Reaper Autocannon,

Assault Vehicle, Feel No Pain (5+), Implacable Advance, Legiones Astartes, Machine Spirit

• Gorgon Hammerbearer

Cyber-familiar

• Gorgon Terminator Squad 

2x Chainfist, 4x Gorgon Terminator, Land Raider Phobos, 2x Power Fist , Reaper Autocannon

Assault Vehicle, Feel No Pain (5+), Implacable Advance, Legiones Astartes, Machine Spirit

• Gorgon Hammerbearer 

Cyber-familiar

• Heavy Support
    • Achilles-Alpha Pattern Land Raider

Enhanced Ferromantic Rites, Galvanic Traction Drive, Shell Shock

• Thallax Cohort

Melta Bombs, Multi-melta, 3x Thallax

Bulky, Djinn-sight, Stubborn                 

Edited by SillyDreadnought

• 2 weeks later...

@ KGB

Pride of the legion doesn't do all that much for us unless you range in the 4,000 points range. I'd rather outflank with my dedicated spartans and gain stubborn in my deployment zone instead.

with the advent of relics, Autek Mor is a less obvious choice for larger games. His high toughness is great against gunlines, but does't really outperform a 3++ preator against the dreadfully boring Paragon Blade.

On the subject of Gorgons

They are better than standard terminators in just about every way. The issue is that we expected a unit that would make a worthy primarch bodyguard, like firedrakes or red butchers. Like the Immortals, they are just a slightly upgradrd version of thr base unit. I would like them to be able to take a 3rd grav gun at 10 models, or have access to unit wide volkites. This would give them a little bit more flavour.

our special units are designed for us not to need apothecaries, which is a huge plus in my book.

Autek Mor, Executive BAMF of the Morragul Clan

Autek Mor brings quite a bit to the table at a reasonnable cost. He does not influence our Force Org chart, but still contributes more than the average Iron Father. With the ability to bestow prefered enemy to 2 units (read legion tactical support or devastator squad!), along with his menacing statline, he has a good standing reputation as a jack of all trades.

He is also virtually immune to instant death by shooting with T5 and our legion trait, and also hard counters things like powerfists/thunder hammers while still retaining a respectable 4++ save. His biggest downfall is the advent of relics, which makes our Iron Fathers rediculously against Mechanicum knights and any form of walker / tank at close range. He is a great choice for a Pride of the Legion style force.

Pros

- Prefered Enemy x2

- Strength and Toughness 5

- Paragon Blade and servo arm (2 sources of instant death against T4 opponents)

- Cortex Controller

- Drops Nuclear bombs on heretics and traitors.

Cons

- No Cyber Familiar (lesser resistant to instant death causing attacks)

- No access to relics

- Much like a praetor, too costly under 2,000-2,500 points (He's such a fatty) 

So I'm really wanting to run an assault squad. What would be the best way to run one with our legion tactics in mind. I feel that taking a chaplain is mandatory, so they don't run off screaming like a bunch of children after a round of combat..

Whats everyone using to camp home objectives? Im.having trouble sorting my troops. I want a breacher squad with attached apoth to move midfield, a tac squad in rhino to outflank deep backfield, but the home objective i cant figure out.

As extreme as it sounds, would a gorgon squad be any good? They may be harder to shift than tacs or breachers for their points.

Any advice would be great. Cheers

Jump pack guys do well with swords or axes, depending on what you want them to go up against. A chaplain or primus medicae is a good choice to go alongside them. If you have the points consider a command squad with jump packs to go along the medicae and then have them both attached to the assault squad. That will give you 14-24 bodies, "T5", fearless, FNP, 12" move, and between 7-11 power weapons. Nasty little deathstar, but it will cost around 500 points and doesn't include a mandatory HQ.

A cheaper option is just a command squad and HQ with jump packs. Much more fragile, but just about as killy for less points.