[HH1.0] Iron Hands Tactics

Noctus Cornix

Hel Hands, reanimation protocols on infantry

Oh man, if they could do one Rite of War for the Iron Hands it would be The Keys of Hel. Make the requirements super-strict:

- all Troops choices gain Slow and Purposeful, +1 to FNP, Fear & Fearless.

- destroyed Troops choices go into Ongoing Reserves on a 5+.

- no Allies.

- no Ferrus Manus.

- requires more Troops choices than Vehicles.

- requires an additional Troops choice .

Heavy squad and apoc with culverins with s&p would be filth with that ROW if it was real

Hence why I suggested only Troops choices get S&P (and the other buffs). Just like in "Riven", it'll be a slow sea of unexceptional Marines, but they'll be tough, scary and fearless. :)

To improve our legion specific units (keeping points cost the same) what do you guys think about this:

-Immortals: gain fearless (this would change the immortal right of war to maybe they get fear when in the enemy's deployment zone instead of stubborn or something like that)

-gorgons: 4+ feel no pain instead of 5+, and add option to buy a servo arm

Also I was thinking about this today, I'm really happy our legion was one of the first to come out actually. Although we don't have some of the crazy units that legions like the thousand sons have, we have some fantastic models. Gorgons, the iron father, and immortals are some of the best non primarch kits I think FW has produced and better yet they aren't just upgrades! I feel bad for the later legions who seem to be getting just upgrades, they miss out on a lot of the character provided by entire sculpts full of subtle details

If we are adding to their original points cost I definitely second that. I think it would be cool if we were the median point between astartes and mechanicum, adding that +1 T especially would definitely get that across

Problem is I am playing my next game against Iron Warriors and pitting IH vs IW is bit problematic because as IH player I want to be shooting them and getting shot at at thus benefiting from our Inviolate Armor but at the same time those IWs won't take any morale tests from shooting which means I have to get in melee where I don't benefit from Inviolate Armor.

Also preparing to melee things up takes points out of shooting...

I see this leaves few options for me as I have 1000pts to use and I'll either go with Praevian with castellax with DF and rest of the guys are just tacs in rhinos. In this case I will be bringing my campaign character which means he always has Void Walker as Warlord Trait so I can deep strike something.

In the other case I'll be building list around Delegatus giving me access to PotL and taking vets with some pw and combis and then advancing those in Rhinos along with Levi (with GFB and claw).

My opponent decided to use only 750pts to defend against my attack so his choices are even more limited but in order defend succesfully he needs to cause draw.

Problem is I am playing my next game against Iron Warriors and pitting IH vs IW is bit problematic because as IH player I want to be shooting them and getting shot at at thus benefiting from our Inviolate Armor but at the same time those IWs won't take any morale tests from shooting which means I have to get in melee where I don't benefit from Inviolate Armor.

Just because IW ignore moral tests from shooting hardly means you are forced into assaulting them. They still die just the same as any other marines, so you can easily still build a list to gun them down. It's not even that often that marines are going to fail a moral check anyway, especially in a unit with a vexilla. 

Greetings!

What is your opinion on Tactical Support Squads? Do you use them? As Inferno is kicking the door I might make an order to get the book and finish my Iron Hands force. My first idea was to order a Spartan, but I could get some other things to.

Maybe I add some Mechanicum allies to, to give some walking robots on the field.

Well 5 of them with plasmas are 175 and 5 veterans with combi-plasmas are 150 (same with meltas) and if you take account that they are removed as soon as possible those support squads have one turn of shooting and therefore are more costly and don't have sniper.

Volkite calivers might work if you can support them. Graviton Guns are quite meh as you can't move and shoot.

Edit: Castellaxes with Praevien are quite good imo.

Edited by Jarkaira

Well 5 of them with plasmas are 175 and 5 veterans with combi-plasmas are 150 (same with meltas) and if you take account that they are removed as soon as possible those support squads have one turn of shooting and therefore are more costly and don't have sniper.

Volkite calivers might work if you can support them. Graviton Guns are quite meh as you can't move and shoot.

Edit: Castellaxes with Praevien are quite good imo.

I would prefer Volkites myself, but it is just an idea. My force is quiet Infantry heavy, and maybe in a Rhino they could be a fast hitting suicide squad. Well, I'm not completely convinced, but thats why I ask the public :-)

Unluckily I didn't have the newer books - is the Praevian so good? We could run some Battle-atomatons in our dedicated old rite of war too. Well, I would prefer the Domitars, if they weren't that expensive, and if the had some long range weapon upgrades beside missiles.

Do you take standard Castellaxes, or run the - seemingly popular - Darkfire murderbots?

I am going to have competitive match this sunday in which I'll use Praevian with two Darkfire Castellaxes as my warlord (we have a campaign in which your character loses support officer abd thus can use Praevian as a one). That will be a first time using it in a competitive setting so I can say bit more about that aspect but otherwise it has been good in theory and practical.

Combi-flamer is a good option to take as it will guarentee Praevian to hit in overwatch and the automata gain bonus to overwatch too.

Darkfire can be used against multiple different targets while maulers work just against power armor marines and multimeltas just vehicles (and multiwound termies).

I'd go with Volkite Calivers if I would want to use Support Squad although I do have some plasma marines too.

Greetings!

What is your opinion on Tactical Support Squads? Do you use them? As Inferno is kicking the door I might make an order to get the book and finish my Iron Hands force. My first idea was to order a Spartan, but I could get some other things to.

Maybe I add some Mechanicum allies to, to give some walking robots on the field.

I love plasma support squads. 10 strong in a proteus in HotG just deletes most deathstars under Autek Mor's prefered enemy. The proteus blocks line of sight to the squad very well once it disembarks.