[HH1.0] Iron Hands Tactics

Noctus Cornix

Access to a D weapon is more critical for legions than a transport. The Stormlord happens to have the most useless weapon of all superheavies, since it's in direct conflict with the pain purpose of it's utility.

The weapon is far from useless, but the assault transport thing is a trap.

I think it just doesn't work as well in a legion list. For Solar Aux though, its spectacular. For not that many points, you can load it with a tactical command squad and a posse of eight servitors with haywire grenade launchers. All together that's ten haywire shots for anything armored w/in 24".

Use it like a firebase, not as a 9hp Spartan.

Man, that wink emoji just gets abused.

Nah, I'd much rather have those 30 shots than yet another Str:lots AP2 blast that still gets neutered by cover.

Plus you can split fire the Megabolter to kill off two light vehicles or squads a turn. It's much more adaptable and flexible.

I'd rather make it clear that's it's jest, too many folks on this forum tend to read flat text in tone of late. (not that it applies to you)

That's why you don't get another AP2 pie plates and get a D option or ignore cover tank. Worse case the high stregnth pie-plate can still threaten other superheavies, I'll agree that the Fellblade is a beautiful model that's very underwhelming.

30 shots is great, provided you don't move (or pivot) and waste the biggest asset of super heavies; full movement, repositioning and unbridled firepower. Works for Auxilia, not so sure about Legions. I just wish they were rending, light vehicules are not exactly common sight in the Heresy landscape. Those ap3 shots will only outperform a generic pie plate against MEQs, maybe some mechanicum units and that's usually not what you bring Lords of War for. Legions already excel at killing legionnaires.

I guess it's all dependent on how you build your lists.

Edited by Wolf_Pack

Man, that wink emoji just gets abused.

Nah, I'd much rather have those 30 shots than yet another Str:lots AP2 blast that still gets neutered by cover.

Plus you can split fire the Megabolter to kill off two light vehicles or squads a turn. It's much more adaptable and flexible.

Aye - plus its a lot more #FUN.

Having just looked at the rules though the fact that all the Heavy Bolters (and swapped heavy flamers) are twin-linked is soul destroying. For a moment of glory I thought I may be able to make a Blood Angel Storm lord with Assault cannons on it to at least get a small insight as to when it would be enough dakka.

My idea for the stormlord was to load it up with 20 volkite culverins witb aug scanners and mos and just role around deleting infantry pumping out 40@bs5 40@bs4 and with a 18inch interceptor bubble on top of the stormlords guns

Its mildy annoying I can't have a doomhammer or hellhammer as they are IMO the best you can build out of the box

I think the Stormlord works really well for other legions but not Iron Hands, Ultras and Iron Warriors being the best with their Cyclone Termis.  I prefer raiders in my Iron Hands but do have one for my Death Guards for my Grave Wardens to ride in.  Iron Hands just don't have a great relentless shooting unit to take advantage of it.

Don't need relentless in a superheavy. But anyway my group has aloud me to use a hellhammer which made me happy and its not like I play at tournaments.

Have you got a page reference for that because I can not seem to find it.  The only rule I can see is that when a super heavy shoots it counts as stationary but nothing that states its counts as stationary for embarked passengers.  Thanks.  If this is in fact the case then a unit of support marines with Grav Guns would be a great unit to put inside.

Edited by Leman Russ SW

No, passengers are definitely NOT Relentless when in a Transport (unless they already have the rule). Super-heavies are treated as stationary for their own shooting, not their passengers. That's why Vets in Rhinos are awesome, because they can take Assault heavy weapons. Edited by Caillum

I'll dig out the brb to check later. That is how I've always had used against me so I'll be annoyed I'd he's been lying to me this whole time(best mates huh)

Any went for the non optimal baneblade just for looks. He's the daddy for my predators.

*checked brb I'm looking forward to the next game he owes me a blunt now

Edited by RandomMarine

So, Iron Hands. I've killed plenty of yah at istavaan but now I'm warming up to the idea that flesh may indeed be weak. So I've got some questions as usual:

1) Does Autek :cussing Mor live up to his reputation on the tabletop?

2) how are your guys special units? The immortals don't exactly seem like their useful, how about the gorgons?

3) How well suited would the hands be at a blitzkrieg style armored list?

4) how mono build is the legion?

Edited by ThatOneMarshal

Autek is a complete beast. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Both our special units, while not amazingly strong, are both strait up better versions of their normal counterparts, with gorgons being more useful than Immortals IMO. I just can't get behind the fact that they're not scoring and they cost a lot to make effective. We have the rite that makes them troops but I'm not a huge fan of it.

We are amazing at anything related to tanks.

While not completely mono built, we do tend to be a lot better with tanks in my experience. Either a mechanized infantry list with a ton of land raiders carrying troops or an armoured breakthrough list where our entire army is battle tanks both perform amazingly. Especially with Ferrus in the list. Infantry heavy lists haven't done well in my experience, even taken advantage of free fnp and -1 to shooting strength. It might just be that my main opponent takes phosphex mortars a lot so I can't make a complete judgment on infantry lists. I'm usually paranoid into putting any infantry I have in a friggin land raider or better.

So, Iron Hands. I've killed plenty of yah at istavaan but now I'm warming up to the idea that flesh may indeed be weak. So I've got some questions as usual:

2) how are your guys special units? The immortals don't exactly seem like their useful, how about the gorgons?

As a dirty traitor, I think you will have a hard time understanding the concepts of Looking your enemies dead in the eyes as you choke the life from their fleshy bodies rather than backstabbing them and stand and fight instead of fleeing like a child caught red handed ;) (Get it, red handed night lords !?!). It's ok, you'll get used to it ;)

1. Probably the best non-primarch special character in the heresy in terms of staying power, durability and army buffs. 

2.Gorgons are great cost effective clean up crews and are fairly durable. Immortals have their moments, but you have to go all in with volkites. ZM is their playground.

3. Let me rephrase that question for you, because I think you mean: Do other legions get even close to Iron Hands in Blitzkrieg style armour? The answer is no. Salamanders are a distant second.

4. It's not, but you will have a heavy armoured presence in your builds, because that's where we shine. You can have lots of stompy robots without using allies, spam landraiders like there is no tomorrow, or roll armoured breakthrough with Ferrus and tanks that live long and prosper. Pod play is pretty good too, we excel at short ranged fire fights.

1) He a monster, on the table get him in combat and watch things die his only weakness is ID weapons but that the same for most SC anyway.

2) Gorgons are good, they can take i hit and keep going and there blind shields might actually turn a battle once in a wile i run 10 in a spartan with Ferrus in most games

Immortals i want to like i really do but there just as expensive and the gorgons and the gorgons have a better save and score.

3) Its there thing run The Head of the Gorgon RoW you get outflank and Blessive Automation on all your Tanks for free.

4) I think most of us Run Mono Lists IRC The head of the Gorgon RoW prevents you from allies with other SM legions anyway and if your going tank heavy thats the RoW to run.