[HH1.0] Iron Hands Tactics

Noctus Cornix

Speaking of the Castellax, is anyone running them in either the Brethren of Iron RoW or through a Praevian Consul?  They look pretty resilient, but their shooting doesn't look amazing, and their WS of 3 seems lacking in a setting where WS of 4 is the starting point for most armies.  But for me, visually, a Praevian flanked by a pair would look really cool.  

Lots of people. They're great with a Praevian - having the option of the IH Legion effect makes them effectively T8 and immune to bolters. Quite a few people go with Darkfire cannons on this unit, too, perhaps because if the Praevian hits they get Preferred Enemy. I use a unit of two,  currently.

As for Brethren of Iron, you'd be better off going with Head of the Gorgon for a similar effect. This is because although you can take different robots in different slots with Brethren, you can take any Battle-Automata with HotG (Castellax, Vorax, Domitar, Arlatax) as Elites. Additionally of course, in both cases, you can take Praevians with Vorax and Castellax as HQ's, and each Cortex Controller taken (don't forget the Praevian comes with one too!) you can take a Castellax, Vorax or Thallax unit as a Heavy Support choice. There is no way you're not going to be able to take whatever you want and HotG has other buffs worth considering, too.

tl;dr - Take Head of the Gorgon, it's better than Brethren. Castellax are ace.

A praevian is a heavy price for a support officer for jusy 2 castellax. I like them in units of 4-5 with him. Darkfire lances are awesome. They solve a lot of problems and there's always the chance to blind, which is great against mech units because they are all low Initiative.

With the IH rules, effective T8 tanks so much stuff. WS 3 doesnt matter. You will be smashing into units than will have a hard time wounding you and you still hit on 4s. They are only good with rage, so make sure your charge is a clean up job. Soften up with DFLs and mop the rest. I like a boarding shield on the praevian in case you do get charged.

I am building a 2500pts list for Iron Hands and have acquired all but some Rhinos in the list and am building and painting them at the moment.

Miniatures were bought before doing the list so this is actually a list which just contains the miniatures I currently own and those are meant as a base which can be sooner or later be updated. I was about to purchase Dreadnought Drop Pod for Leviathan but it wasn't available when I purchased stuff for this list due the mold being broken.

Biggest concern is if the Leviathan works at all because it has to walk to be able to use it's weaponry while it's targets run havoc on the board.

I wanted Typhon Heavy Siege Tank because I am able to use it in 2000pts list and thunderblitzing from Outflank is fun :)

Here we go:

Rite of War: The Head of the Gorgon

Iron-Father Autek Mor

+ Cyber-familiar

• 3 Space Marine Chosen

+ 3× combi-bolter

+ 3× power weapon

+ melta bombs

+ 1 Standard Bearer

+ power weapon

• Land Raider Phobos

+ dozer blade

9 Tactical Space Marines

+ legion vexilla

+ 1 Tactical Sergeant

+ artificer armour

+ melta bombs

• Rhino

+ dozer blade

9 Tactical Space Marines

+ legion vexilla

+ 1 Tactical Sergeant

+ artificer armour

+ melta bombs

• Rhino

+ dozer blade

4 Tactical Support Marines

+ plasma guns

+ 1 Tactical Support Sergeant

+ artificer armour

+ melta bombs

• Rhino

+ dozer blade

4 Veteran Space Marines

+ 4× combi-weapon

+ power weapon

+ legion vexilla

+ melta bombs

+ 1 Veteran Sergeant

+ artificer armour

+ combi-weapon

+ power fist

• Rhino

+ dozer blade

Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought Talon

• Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought

+ cyclonic melta lance

+ grav-flux bombard

+ 2× torso-mounted twin-linked volkite caliver

+ phosphex discharger

Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought

+ carapace-mounted Aiolos missile launcher

War Machine Detachment

• Typhon Heavy Siege Tank

+ armoured ceramite

+ pintle-mounted combi-weapon

How does the list look for you? What should I change and what to add for bigger games?

I've considered Castellax with Darkfire Lance to be taken instead of Command Squad and giving LR to some other unit.

^If you're thinking of scrapping the chosen squid and land raider, where would you place Mor?

Castellax with Darkfire are spectacular, and honestly they'll do better for you both in firepower and close combat than a land raider and command squad will.

So my IH list is a very fluff driven armored spearhead kind of list but I'm lacking hard hitting ranged support. Because it doesn't fit with the theme I'm not taking rapiers, which tank would you all reccomend to fill that void? I'm thinking a venatar however I keep hearing mixed reviews. What are your experiences with it?

The Sicaran Venator?

It's spectacular. Anti-armor is good, but it can punch far above its weight class and shut down enemy super heavies. That's unique to it, the Falchion and the Cerberus.

The venator is a great pick. It comes up to 190 when tooled up, and threatens all armour values.

Another strong pick for a heavy alot is a predator squad. They get 3 lascanons for fairly cheap or some good volume with predator cannons for even cheaper.

Triple laser destroyer vindicators with Orth is pretty glorious.

I've been pondering between Lightning with Kraken missiles and Sicaran Venator for a while for the third phase of my HH purchases since buying Castellax is the second phase now. Lightning and Venator won't even compete for the same slot so I might buy both as they even have quite good bang for euros ratio.

^^^^^^^ Could Heavy Support Squad be a good place for Mor or should I add some dedicated melee troop and what would it be? At the same time I would like to get something out of shooting so Veterans with Power Weapons and Combis in a Proteus could do it?

The problem with heavy support squads is that they are hard to safeguard without a fortification. Add the that your warlord is in that unit as well, it wont last long.

I would give the unit PE with the trait and use Mor's PE to give it to a unit thay gets work done up close and personal, where you get more mileage out of him.

Edited by Wolf_Pack

How about this then @2500pts

Iron-Father Autek Mor

+ Cyber-familiar

• 3 Chosen Terminators

+ Terminator armour

+ Cataphractii

+ 3× combi-weapon

+ 2× chainfist

+ 1 Terminator Standard Bearer

+ combi-weapon

+ power fist

• Land Raider Phobos

+ dozer blade

+ armoured ceramite

+ pintle-mounted multi-melta

9 Tactical Space Marines

+ legion vexilla

+ 1 Tactical Sergeant

+ artificer armour

+ melta bombs

• Rhino

+ dozer blade

9 Tactical Space Marines

+ legion vexilla

+ 1 Tactical Sergeant

+ artificer armour

+ melta bombs

• Rhino

+ dozer blade

9 Tactical Support Marines

+ plasma guns

+ 1 Tactical Support Sergeant

+ artificer armour

+ melta bombs

• Rhino

+ dozer blade

Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought Talon

• Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought

+ cyclonic melta lance

+ 2× torso-mounted twin-linked volkite caliver

+ armoured ceramite

+ phosphex discharger

Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought

+ twin-linked Hellfire plasma cannonade

+ carapace-mounted Aiolos missile launcher

+ armoured ceramite

War Machine Detachment

• Typhon Heavy Siege Tank

+ armoured ceramite

+ pintle-mounted combi-weapon

Thx, I'll consider swapping for Gorgons in january as I am going to do another order for FW then as I already happen to have already B@C termies already in sprues waiting to be built and painted.

I'll be getting my list built quite easily as I bought B@C when it came and it has been collecting dust before I got bitten by HH bug and started ordering new stuff.

Also we have a Beginning of Your Legion campaign in our gaming club in which every member who wants to start building and painting will receive 10x mkIII or mkIV marines and another 10 after finishing painting them as well as 5X Cataphractii or Tartaros termies or Contemptor Dreadnought after finishing all the PA marines.

Good way to get your buddies to play HH instead of 40K or heretical Warmahordes is to give out free miniatures for starters. Well drug dealers seem to operate in a similar fashion :P

This is my usual 2.5k list since I got a Leviathan still using mor

+++ New Roster (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy v42) (2500pts) +++

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List v202) ++

+ HQ +

········Iron-father Autek Mor [Cyber-familiar]

+ Troops +

········Legion Terminator Squad [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 9x Legion Terminators]

············Legion Spartan Assault Tank [Armoured Ceramite, Flare Shield]

············Legion Terminator Sergeant [Cyber-familiar, Thunderhammer]

········Legion Veteran Tactical Squad [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Veteran Tactics: Marksmen]

············Additional Wargear [Heavy Bolter and Suspensor Web, Legion Vexilla]

············Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Power Fist]

+ Fast Attack +

········Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter [battle Servitor Control, Ground-tracking Auguries, 2x Two Kraken penetrator heavy missiles]

+ Heavy Support +

········Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought [Aiolos Missile Launcher, Armoured Ceramite]

········Legion Heavy Support Squad [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Space Marines, Volkite Culverin]

············Legion Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner]

········Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Talon

············Leviathan Siege Dreadnought [Armoured Ceramite, Grav-flux Bombard, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod, Phosphex Discharger, 2x Twin-linked Volkite Caliver]

+ Legion +

········Legiones Astartes [ X: Iron Hands, Loyalist]

········Rite of War [Pride of the Legion]

+ Force Organization +

········Force Organization

············Battles in the Age of Darkness [ Age of Darkness Primary Detachment]

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)

I would try to get a 3rd scoring unit in there if I could. If you drop the lightning or deredeo and tweak points, you could get a second vet unit, which would make the penalty for pride of the legion harder for your opponent to get.

Thought about the melta lance on the Leviathan? The GFB is great at anti infantry to be sure, but a little more armour cracking would not hurt if you swap out either of the affore mentioned options.

This is my usual 2.5k list since I got a Leviathan still using mor

+++ New Roster (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy v42) (2500pts) +++

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List v202) ++

+ HQ +

········Iron-father Autek Mor [Cyber-familiar]

+ Troops +

········Legion Terminator Squad [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 9x Legion Terminators]

············Legion Spartan Assault Tank [Armoured Ceramite, Flare Shield]

············Legion Terminator Sergeant [Cyber-familiar, Thunderhammer]

········Legion Veteran Tactical Squad [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Veteran Tactics: Marksmen]

············Additional Wargear [Heavy Bolter and Suspensor Web, Legion Vexilla]

············Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Power Fist]

+ Fast Attack +

········Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter [battle Servitor Control, Ground-tracking Auguries, 2x Two Kraken penetrator heavy missiles]

+ Heavy Support +

········Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought [Aiolos Missile Launcher, Armoured Ceramite]

········Legion Heavy Support Squad [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Space Marines, Volkite Culverin]

············Legion Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner]

········Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Talon

············Leviathan Siege Dreadnought [Armoured Ceramite, Grav-flux Bombard, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod, Phosphex Discharger, 2x Twin-linked Volkite Caliver]

+ Legion +

········Legiones Astartes [ X: Iron Hands, Loyalist]

········Rite of War [Pride of the Legion]

+ Force Organization +

········Force Organization

············Battles in the Age of Darkness [ Age of Darkness Primary Detachment]

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)

This looks like a strong list...except Pride of the Legion requires more units with the Legion Astartes than those without. Currently you have 4 with and 7 without (since transports count), I ran into this very same issue when I thought I came up with my ultimate dream list.

My group play that dedicated transports don't count towards that requirement as it makes no sense that row for a elites army denies them transports.

I disagree, as it is entirely what balances the rite of war.

You don't need to have AS many but you just can't have more vehicles than non-vehicles, essentially.

Its to represent the force supposed to be built around the vets and terms, not using it as a "now I don't pay tactical tax" rite.

My group play that dedicated transports don't count towards that requirement as it makes no sense that row for a elites army denies them transports.

I disagree, as it is entirely what balances the rite of war.

You don't need to have AS many but you just can't have more vehicles than non-vehicles, essentially.

Its to represent the force supposed to be built around the vets and terms, not using it as a "now I don't pay tactical tax" rite.

Yeah... that's a good point.

Greetings!

I would like to have some advice on expanding my IH force. I built it mostly infantry heavy with dreads, but I think I'm a bit too slow, and currently lacking any real AT hitting power.

I have 2x 15 Tacticals, 15 Breachers, 2 Dreads (one with Grav-Talons and one with a Kheres and a Fist), a Leviathan wit Grav-Flux Bombard, a unit of Gorgons and a Sicaran BT. It would be nice to keep the original intention with the massive black blobs, but I think I seriously need some faster elements to counter the more mobile enemies.

What are your suggestions?

As mobile elements I thought on maybe two Preds or something similar (tanks...)

My opponent will be an EC player (expecting the traditional Open Blade-Hidden Blade RoW), with fast troops and speeders.