[HH1.0] Iron Hands Tactics

Noctus Cornix

Could this work?

Praevian: Warp Shunt Field; artificer armour; combi-weapon (flamer); melta bombs; boarding shield

• 2 Castellax Class Battle-automata: 2× Darkfire cannon; 4× flamer; 2× battle-automata power blades; enhanced targeting array

Siege Breaker: artificer armour; combi-weapon (plasma); melta bombs; boarding shield

9 Tactical Space Marines: legion vexilla; + 1 Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour; power fist)

• Rhino: dozer blade; pintle-mounted multi-melta

9 Tactical Space Marines: legion vexilla; + 1 Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour; power fist)

• Rhino: dozer blade; pintle-mounted heavy flamer

3 Quad Launcher Rapier Carriers: quad launcher (shatter shells; phosphex canister shot)

Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought Talon

• Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought: grav-flux bombard; 2× torso-mounted twin-linked volkite caliver; armoured ceramite; phosphex discharger

• Dreadnought Drop Pod

4 Heavy Support Marines: volkite culverins; + 1 Heavy Support Sergeant (artificer armour)

Wall of Martyrs Imperial Bunker: Ammo Store

Everything on the field is nigh immune to bolter fire.

Couple things. The Praevian is a Support Officer so can't be your Compulsory HQ; You need another guy as well. Remember also that the Relics are not for standard games, but campaign only, so you may well get denied it's use in a game.

How many points is the list? 1500? If it's 2000, it feels very light on models!

So just wondering but if going Head of the Gorgon how tanky should I be looking? I own three land raiders and am looking to go for a 3k point list. These are a spartan, phobos and achilles. As well as 30 mk 3 marines and 15 gorgons, a model for Autek, Orth, 2 contemptors, 2 vindicators, a predator etc.. I've got a lot of choice with what to go with but I don't have a lot of one choice if that makes sense. So I don't have three predators to outflank or three vindicators etc (which would be super nice)..

What are some of the best combinations we can do in our army with Ferrus? I always feel like my Gorgons don't seem to make their worth back, I love Land Raiders but they don't seem too great apart from the Achilles. The spartan is great sure but I feel like death stars aren't always efficient.. The only army I really play against is an ultramarine drop-pod based army so transporting lots of men in land raiders isn't so useful.

I'm just not used to creating tactics and using tanks, this is my first real army using them to be honest but I'm unsure where to go. I like the idea of a squad of predators with the plasma cannon since it's always done well, goes well with the achilles for marine busting? 

I just need general help I guess, what are some of the more competitive things available to us?

Landraiders are great against drop pod armies. With armoured ceramite, they have little ways of deal effecrive alpha strike damage.

The big secret of the Iron Hands is that was can spam Proteus Landraiders as transports. With up to 3 twin-linked lascannons and a multimelta for 230 points, you have some serious fire power attached to a mobile bunker.

Gorgons are fairly cost effective but they can't do heavy lifting like other legion specific units can. Give them some fists/chainfists and use them as a mop up crew. My anti death star go to unit is the plasma support squad with prefered enemy.

I would strongly suggest some Quad Mortars and Laser Destroyer array vindicators to shore up your Head of the Gorgon list.

It definitely didn't feel that way when his ironclad charged my achilles alpha and destroyed it in one turn! (Though he did get quite lucky!)

My only issues with my land raiders is I ended up with so much anti tank vs his one ironclad, rest was all infantry, as soon as my achilles and predator with plasma cannon went down I was pretty boned in this case.

I did want some quad mortars only issue is against deepstrike won't they just be instagibbed the turn he comes down and he just shoots everything to death, also using them doctrines to make him reroll ALL misses from his infantry? IDK how ultramarines work but it seems to be a rather strong first turn! The only thing I could think of to counter such a thing would be to put preds/Vindicators into outflank so they can come after and won't get hit by the first turn fire.

Well I mean, it's my brother who's always collected ultramarines, I live in a small town, my other friend collects 40k mechanicum. They're thinking of doing 30k but I can't force them. My town doesn't really have much in the way of a 40k fanbase so it's all I'm stuck with right now :)

That game where I got a bit trashed was 1500 points, next one will be 3k where I feel it'll even out a bit more to be honest.

Haha ok. Just take some Custodes and Show him what real paint means. ;)

I guess against Drop Pod armies an Augury Scanner here and there is quite useful.

Raiders and other vehicle suffers heavily against 40k armies because of their Grav guns so I wouldn't bring them. Maybe you have better results with other units like Contemptors and the like.

I do have plenty of contemptors I can try out! In honesty my brother doesn't use graviton stuff in his 40k army cause he's collected so long he's got all the really old models so everything is melta or plasma. It was the ironclad that messed everything up. 

I didn't think about an augury scanner I'm not going to lie! Also I do have 30 Custodes that I can use I just didn't want to use them till I paint them (though they look like a nightmare to paint I'm not going to lie).

Got two games under my belt with this list which I am still painting though:

Praevian: artificer armour; combi-weapon (flamer)

• 2 Castellax Class Battle-automata: 2× Darkfire cannon; 4× flamer; enhanced targeting array

Siege Breaker: artificer armour; refractor field

Apothecarion Detachment

• Apothecary

1 Quad Launcher Rapier Carrier: quad launcher (shatter shells; phosphex canister shot)

1 Quad Launcher Rapier Carrier: quad launcher (shatter shells; phosphex canister shot)

Land Speeder Squadron

• Land Speeder: pintle-mounted multi-melta; hull-mounted graviton gun

4 Heavy Support Marines: volkite culverins; + 1 Heavy Support Sergeant (artificer armour)

Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought Talon

• Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought: grav-flux bombard; 2× torso-mounted twin-linked volkite caliver; armoured ceramite; phosphex discharger

• Dreadnought Drop Pod

War Machine Detachment

• Typhon Heavy Siege Tank: 2 sponson-mounted lascannon; armoured ceramite; pintle-mounted multi-melta

Wall of Martyrs Imperial Bunker: Ammo Store

First one was against Raven Guard and I managed to do really well in beer one as I was able to do nice amount of damage against four infantry units and some land speeders. On beer two things evened out a bit as her flyers arrived from reserves and killed single castellax and immobilized leviathan. Bunker got a hit and caused the guys inside some losses. On beer three my tacticals arrived and started racing to objectives. During beer four my second castellax died as well as one of those rapiers and on beer five there was just some Mor Deythans left as well as land speeders on her army. Typhon rolled over her warlord too. Beer six came and couldn't table her but won by objectives and got slay the warlord.

Against daemons I struggled as there was just too much stuff being summoned to the table and had only Typhon left in the end of beer four of that game and decided to concede.

Next one is against Iron Warriors during next week.

Hey there! Just popping this question here: what do you think of a list of Iron Hands with Meduson and Rg's Decapitation Strike RoW for an hard-hitting dropped-armoured list? It can resemble the classic tactic of the "Storm and hammer" of the early Crusade Xth legion for a fluffy touch to it :p

I don't think inferno really changed anything for iron hands. Sure thousand sons are a really strong legion and custodes are a tough match up, but that's the case for any astartes legion not just iron hands.

Ooooh my gosh. I've just been really tempted to run an Iron Hands army with Meduson, and the 'Salamanders: The Covenant of Fire' Rite of War. Iron Hands buffs, plus melta inv. saves on vehicles, and melta and flamer buffs on everything AND Move Through Cover (even tanks and bikes!!!)... oh goodness sir, yes please.

Meduson is interesting because of the fluff implications.

But most of our benefits are tied to Head of the Gorgon, which is Iron Hands. But what I want from him is his warlord trait, and ability go let me use Pyroclasts and Firedrakes, or Mor Deytans and Dark Furies. These are really cool units and they also fill gaps in the Iron Hands arsenal.

But most of our benefits are tied to Head of the Gorgon, which is Iron Hands. But what I want from him is his warlord trait, and ability go let me use Pyroclasts and Firedrakes, or Mor Deytans and Dark Furies. These are really cool units and they also fill gaps in the Iron Hands arsenal.

Meduson doesn't let you use those units*, running a Shattered Legions force and including those Legions does. You don't need to use Meduson to do this. You probably know this, but I'm just clarifying for future readers.

*Except Pyroclasts if you run 'The Convenant of Fire', apparently.

Edited by Emperors Teeth

Meduson doesn't let you use those units*, running a Shattered Legions force and including those Legions does. You don't need to use Meduson to do this. You probably know this, but I'm just clarifying for future readers.

*Except Pyroclasts if you run 'The Convenant of Fire', apparently.

I should have specified in a shattered legions theme yes ;)

Would using an imperial knight as your lord of war choice, with Ferrus, mean that it gets it will not die AND the blessed bonus? Wouldn't that make it extreemeelyy tough to bring down, I'm trying to mess around with a 3k point list right now and really struggling to know what to go with.