Savage Midnight: Armored Up an Rolling Heavy for ETL-Pg.109

Flint13

I don't like the posing. Something seems off about it. Like it's artificial rather a capture of someone in the action of movement. No idea on how to fix it though.

It's the positioning of tge wings it isn't natural for flight it's more like suprise I have wings

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/Taron_James_Beer/Mobile%20Uploads/tumblr_mu8a33yWs41sb6j1bo5_500_zps5ufipolf.gif

if you could blow dry and manipulate them into a more curved pose like actual flapping it would look more natural

Looks good, I Like Argel Tal in the stories and your model gives him an air of nobility which I think is missing in the FW models.

I can see what Firepower is coming from. Maybe abit of gs around the horns to make them look a bit organic..

The chest plate might be okay, maybe mix a little flesh or a daemon-flesh colour into the red, make it look like the armour is rippling and writhing with the daemon trying to reshape it (hence using ed and adding in a flaeshy colour for the highlights.

The lightning on the legs too, unless making them into runes with some raised GS, I think they may need to go, he is an Exalted Bearer of the Word, not some pansy-ass Night Lord wannabe tongue.png just joking!!

For the wings, smear them in a bit of gore where they have burt throught flesh and armour to escape! Or drill some holes, make some gashes omn them, for where he has used them as a defensive shield...

the wing position is why i asked for a pic from his backside.

i support the idea that they have to be reposed or bend to give them a more realistic feeling.

not sure on how to solve it though, i've been having the same problem with the possessed plastic wings :wink:

green stuffing some veins and sinews on the backpack might make it look more suitable daemonic :tu:

Your right, its brown on the recon cloak. My bad. I will sacrifice a thousand cultists i your honour to make amends.

Tal is looking good. I like your alternate take on the character series.

Btw, I was looking for some posing inspiration and your plog was my first call, keep it up :)

Morning folks! Instead of being an adult and finishing up what I need to get painted (or you know... studying...) I kept working on Argel Tal.

Here's where his chest plate is at. (still need quite a bit of shaving down, but its coming along)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/538/mZajru.jpg

and a rear shot with his non-placeholder backpack

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/661/tTSc6f.jpg

Thanks for all the handy replies!

@ Recon - Thanks! I hope he remains so as I poke at him biggrin.png

@ Firepower - Oh definitely, I'm still going to try to add plenty of icky daemony-muscle connecting bits (and really exercise my greenstuff abilities). Is that backpack a decent start though?

@ Kol - I could see it.

Truth be told, I wanted to give him this noble air... maybe like how the 17th see him as a supreme divine being instead of the ravening monster most outside the legion see. Hard to translate I 'spose.

@ Kurama - Haha, I was going for that initial push-off launch spread, but that works too biggrin.png

@ Teetengee - I could see that. Lemme play around with it and see.

@ Dantay - No worries, I'll knock out the lightning.

I was going to try for some connecting daemon muscle on the feet and at the bottom of the wings where they have burst from the armor.

Since I just finished Betrayer for the 6th time, I've got a pretty vivid metal picture biggrin.png

@ Midnight - His flamer is from the 17th Legion Ashen Circle marines. I really like the underarm set up. It looks so neat!

Ah, seems great (homicidal) minds think alike biggrin.png How's this pack look for him?

@ Quixus - thumbsup.gif

@ Wicced - Got it. I'll see what I can come up with happy.png

@ Hydra - Awe thanks! Always glad to hear when/if I'm an inspiration. Means a lot ^_^

I think I see where you're trying to go. Maybe make the legs look a bit more like they're pushing up a bit, if you can? Combined with the repositioned(or bent) wings, it should give it a more natural feel while still keeping the "noble grace".

But I would only suggest doing that if you don't like what happens after you play with the wings.

Oooooh nice! That backpack looks almost made for that conversion. I'm not sure about the glaive AND that giant-ass sword. Either would be more practical imho and less "look I have two impractically huge weapons while I need to swoop my wings". ;) I like this model overall very much though. What's it going to be? 

not sure about the chest (yet wink.png)

the backpack looks great, connect that with some daemonic sinew and your golden thumbsup.gif where is it from though? i can't place the part...

also about the two weapons, i liked the idea in betrayer but on a space marine model it looks a little too much in my opinion. i'd try to maybe sheathe the sword, but that seems to be just me and augustus biggrin.png

and

I like this model overall very much though. What's it going to be?

seriously mate?tongue.png

The two weapons are mandatory, of course, seeing how they are mentioned in Betrayer. But he is described to usually not be wielding them at the exact same time, changing from one to the other at a moment's notice. So maybe the sword should rather be at his side/on his back...?

My main point of criticism about the - otherwise very cool - model is the helmet, though. Yes, he does wear an Mk. IV helmet. But according to the book, it turns to either a silver deathmask of his human face or into a daemonic visage with an almost crocodilian maw when he "changes". I really think slaine69 has captured this rather beautifully.

I think something a bit closer to this look would make it even more obvious who this is supposed to be.

Keep up the amazing work!

Evening guys. Tul Haekon is all finished and I'll have him up in the March thread as soon as I write up his fluffy bits. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions to polish him along the way. Totally even added a combat knife just for Talon biggrin.png

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/538/AkW2Vo.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/661/Dr4MEu.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/540/xbO5uV.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/901/g5rn85.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/905/RGBtnh.jpg

Replies!

@ Kol - Playing around with the wings now!

@ Augustus - Well, in the fiction Argel Tal normally swaps between them as he sees fit, but there is this one glorious segment when he is butchering an Ultramarine honor guard where he uses both at the same time. Imma say that's the precise moment my model is from.

Besides, if Gandalf can wield a staff and sword simultaneously, a mutant Astartes space daemon hybrid certainly can :D

@ Wicced - His chest plate is substantially slimmed down now. I'll try and get another pic up soon. (See above to Orfeo butchering :D)

@ Lokkorex - Thanks! Haha, I'll try to get a better shot for the Custodes gunglaive here shortly.

@ K-Sci - Except for that one bit on Armatura. :D

Oh wow, that is freakin' evil gorgeous. That's a bit beyond my sculptly skills, I'll admit. My thinking was a MK4 with a little bit of real estate to paint on, since I wanted to try for those liquid silver tears his eyes are supposed to bleed when Raum takes over. Plus I like his horns ^_^

@ Midnight - Thanks!

@ Recon - On his armor? Yesh. Fenrisian gray/blue and adeptus battlegray to be Pacific.

@ Atia - Omigawd, you're going to give every Word Bearer I have an inferiority complex :P

Yeah, the FW Gal Vorbak are like Ogryn sized right? That's a little big for me sweat.gif

i love the new helmet look, it's a nice contrast but not too heavy :tu:

and either i missed it, or you didn't answer my question about Argel Tal's backpack (where is it from?) Tell me now or get stabbed in dark cornersph34r.png

Like the Addition of the Earthy tones, really helps add to the illusion over the WiP grey and black you showed us.

Just a little remark: what made you outline the shoulder pad under the (what I assume is a) cameleoline cloak? Doesn't that go against the point of camo : to break up inorganic forms and shapes and help them blend into the terrain?

Archived