Savage Midnight: Armored Up an Rolling Heavy for ETL-Pg.109

Flint13

Hum. I'm going to be that one chap and say that the blending just isn't working for me right now. You can still see the transitions between colours really clearly. It looks like your just adding the paint on in stripes and not really blending it. It's especially visible on the wings and doesn't look good.

I'd suggest you go with really, really, really thin layers of paint (almost glaze-like) to do your blending and build the colour up over many layers. It's the only way you'll get a smooth transition over the armour and (especially) the wings. And yes, it's a real pain to spend so much time building up the layers, but I can assure you that the result will be worth it.

All in all, I'm being rather harsh, but I can assure you that my best intentions are at heart :)

after careful inspection of argel armless' pictures, i gotta be the one chap to second that one chap msn-wink.gif

i think with thinner and "slower" blending you will achieve a much more satisfying result, nonetheless he's coming along great thumbsup.gif

keep up the good work!

Godsdammit Flint, stop making me feel bad about my productivity.

Right, Curze is looking boss. The little details like the nosebleed make him. As does the little touches of gore on him. Lovely stuff.

As for Argel Tal, hes looking good as well. Considering the wet blending is a new technique for you, its off to a great start. The only criticism I have at the moment, and its only a small one, is that the warping skin on his shins might need a bit more blending into the armour - maybe work the base red of the armour back onto the skin a touch?

Anyways, stop painting so fast. No, wait, dont...or do....ah dammit

Morning everyone!

Thanks so much for all the positive and constructive feedback. I hope no one ever hesitates to make with a bit of criticism whenever they think it's warranted. I really appreciate the constructive criticism, since it pushes me to improve so much.

Here's my second try at blending Argel Tal's wings. I took it a couple steps darker (which I am wont to do whenever left to my own devices) and I'm way happier with it. It was a bit difficult to work lighting that didn't just glare out the highlights, but I think I finally managed acceptably. You can see it best in the larger sections of his wings. (Please forgive his slightly Christmassy apparel. The new green stuff is only green temporarily, of course)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/673/GsTrnN.jpg

and here's the blade that slew the Blessed Lady. Still working on his arm and the hilt, but I think the blade is pretty much done (maybe one sharper high light). Again, trying something completely new for me, so input is always appreciated!
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/540/0Dhc9f.jpg

Replies!

@ Hydra - Thanks! It's an interesting technique so far. I'm enjoying myself even though it's hella challenging.

Get on that Kurze painting, sir!

@ Hushrong - Thanks. It isn't quite to where I want it to be yet, but I'm getting better I think!

Two are "traitors" two are closet traitors and the last is the loyalest of the loyalists. Also misspelled, but that was my fault sweat.gif

@ Recon - Thanks! His backpack seems to be hella popular. I was trying to paint it like the daemon flesh burst from his armor, then the spine and skulls burst from the bloody daemon flesh. Happy to hear it apparently worked!

@ Slipstreams - Glad to hear it!

@ Atia - You totes <3 his backpack? Omigx13, best feedback yet. tongue.png Glad you like him happy.png

@ Conn - Ok, five replies in before a Failbaddon joke. That's pretty remarkable restraint biggrin.png

I have tons of them, but I have yet to find a helm that looks like one Konrad would wear. Any suggestions for a starting point?

@ Krieg - Haha, what is it with his backpack? happy.png

@ Kizzdougs - Haha! That's four votes for backpack so far biggrin.png

@ depthcharge - Of course I am. Sleep happens occasionally, but that's more school's fault than hobby.

@ Helter - Cool beans! Is that another vote for backpack or just his bone-work in general?

@ Augustus - Can do. Any suggestions for what might be a good helm to try?

@ Kol - The Black Templar are totally known for slaughtering whole worlds. As long as they are xenos, heretics or witchlings. Or associated with any of the above.

For contextual reference, my company's strike cruiser is named the "Vindictive Genocide"

@ Dos - No worries at all buddy. Like I said above, I appreciate the nudge in the direction of improvement. I know you have good intentions biggrin.png

@ Wicced - Will do! How's he look now?

@ Skrall - Thanks! I do my darndest.

@ Jack - ... no.

biggrin.png

The flesh is something that is bothering me as well. I'm having a hard time getting that fleshy color and the red of his armor to mix to my liking. I'll give it a couple more tries and see what I come up with.

Nice! I like these dark wings more and I for one think the wetbleding is going fine. 

About the helmet: My initial response would be MkIV, perhaps from the SoH Reavers. But these might be too small... so on second thought, perhaps there's others with ideas for bits. In any case, I think Curze would benefit the most from MkIV,

Great work on the wings Flint, and the sword is cool too, but i agree that it needs a last highlite tongue.png

Nice! I like these dark wings more and I for one think the wetbleding is going fine.

About the helmet: My initial response would be MkIV, perhaps from the SoH Reavers. But these might be too small... so on second thought, perhaps there's others with ideas for bits. In any case, I think Curze would benefit the most from MkIV,

but but but Curze needs a skull helmet Q.Q ! (something like Sevatars')

wet blending looks much better :tu:

i like the paintjob of the sword, but it looks like it's not straight. the tip needs to come forward a bit to be aligned with the grip. or did he hit the blessed lady so hard that the grip bent?woot.gif

Well, there's definite improvement, so kudos for that :tu:

However, I still think that you can make that transition even smoother, but I won't bother you with that if you're satisfied with the current results. Besides, I'm sure there'll be plenty of opportunities in the future for you to improve your blending skills ;)

I never seen that backpack before that's why I like it. lol

Also after your Christmassy comment I looked at the pic(the greenstuff part didn't click in) and thought to myself "Yeah those wings look green"...then I realized what you meant. Damn my color deficiency. wacko.png

@ Conn - Ok, five replies in before a Failbaddon joke. That's pretty remarkable restraint biggrin.png

I am nothing if not the picture of self-restraint.

I have tons of them, but I have yet to find a helm that looks like one Konrad would wear. Any suggestions for a starting point?

What, I gotta do everything? I'm honestly at a loss, since I don't paint or do any modelling. I'm not really all that familiar with models.

I don't know, I gotta agree with with Atia that he needs a skull helmet, but not like Sev's. Sev is of a nameless alien breed (or is it Ork? I kinda forgot), but xenos are beneath Curze. Nothing other than a human skull could serve for one such as the Night Haunters, of all the death-mask wearing Night Lords.

The simplest skull-helm that I know of that could work is the Dark Vengeance Chappy, if you happen to have him handy. It would need some work, and might be too small, but maybe?

http://tutofig.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Dark-Vengeance-Limited-Edition-Chaplain-Painting-Tutorial.jpg

If you want to go crazy . . . Do you have any Necron heads? Do you have another Sanguinary death mask? Slice off their faces, slap the Necron on the death mask head, smooth it out with some greenstuff, and stick it on Konrad?

Ooh, ooh! Forget all that. Alternatively crazy, you know those Mechanicum units with the smooth glass heads? Thallax, maybe? Borrow that idea, and give him a helm that appears to have a reflective surface. Like, maybe do that Necron thing but with that Mechanicum unit, on a more conventional helm? The Night Lords like their victims to look upon the visages of death in all its forms as they do their work. But the Night Haunter is far more pure than that. When their screams fill the air like a song, as their muscles strain helplessly against claws that gingerly, tenderly peel back skin from quivering flesh, the face they look upon is their own. 

Konrad Curze's (twisted) sense of justice is of retribution, even preemptively, of meeting sin with like sin. Of course he forces the damned to look upon their own corruption, as he carves into it.

Archived