Loyalists of the XIV: The tyrant's ruin and rival's fall

Master of Signal Lev Nahshon

gallery_73590_8946_67983.jpg

One of the later Terrans recruited into the XIV, Lev Nahshon is a youngling to the older Dusk Raiders while being a relic in the eyes of the Barbarusans. He was a Vox-operator in 1st Squad Tartaros at the time of reunification with Mortarion, but his destiny lay elsewhere and it didn’t take long before he rose to the rank of Centurion. A perfect memory, the ability to process information in a moment’s notice and a mind for reading the flow of battle earned him the position as the 8th Battalion’s Master of Signal. Though Nahshon is also in charge of the 2nd Company, it is because of his other responsibilities placed under the command of 1st Centurion Vitor Gorek on the battlefield. Nahshon’s role in ensuring swift communication and that the Commander’s orders are followed throughout the Battalion have led to the nickname “The Voice”. He has always been regarded as a humourless individual fully devoted to the complex mathematical equation others call war, but the results cannot be questioned; bombardments from the Heavy Support Company’s artillery delivered with flawless precision and a force of legionaries operating as a well-oiled machine. Albian to the core and a strict follower of the Old ways, Nahshon is part of the first wave at Istvaan III and the one who warns the Battalion of the incoming virus bombs.

Looking excellent!

Have you considered a "Grave Warden" or Terminator contingent for your Battalion? Or perhaps they would likely be loyal to Mortarion and the Warmaster?

Thanks!

I have 5 Grave Wardens waiting for assembly and I plan for their leader to be an early follower of Mortarion that at the time of Istvaan has become disillusioned with Primarch, Emperor and the entire Great Crusade.

I'll leave it at that, so I don't spoil anything.

Time to eRADicate someone...

In other words, the first Eradicator is done

gallery_73590_8946_121162.jpg

It will be some time before I do the rest of the squad, I just needed to see the conversion in real life. I might also do a few modifications to the muzzle, or leave it as it is, I'm not sure yet.

Now that this distraction is over, I'll return to the ETL. Can't promise this will be the only one, damn all these ideas in my head.

I did promise more distractions didn't I...

A currently unnamed Apothecary to go with the shock troops and Breachers

gallery_73590_8946_118214.jpg

Edit: I have yet to start painting the psyker for ETL. Today my excuse is the Norwegian national day and that it's 200 years since we got our constitution, and drooling over all the heavenly goodness from the Weekender.

Edited by Barabbas Sogalon

where did you drag that poor apothecaries' arm from??

looks like its been torn through the warp a few times and gnawed on by a tyranid (oh wait. they aren't here yet,) ork...?:tongue.:

will love to see these marines you've made recently painted (and weathered) keep it up!

Edited by Argent aquila

I took the arm from a badly painted Apothecary I did years ago (the first and only time I painted one completely white) and stripped most of the paint from it. It will look a lot better after a treatment of leadbelcher and blood.

Yesterday I (finally) started on the psyker, so if I'm lucky he'll be done in not too many days.

• 3 weeks later...

Bladesman Domhnall Aodhan

gallery_73590_8946_109632.jpg

To the Barbarusans of the 8th Battalion, Domhnall Aodhan is known as the champion of the Commander’s guard, the Blades of Albia, and an incredible swordsman. The Terrans however, associate his name with the raging psyker who incinerated thousands in the early years of the Great Crusade. Born in Northern Albia as the oldest son in one of local clans, he was an early recruit to the XIV Legion and served for years among the Tactical legionaries at the frontlines. His psychic powers surfaced some time after the Crusade left the Sol system when the horde of xenos attacking his squad was turned to ash the moment he opened his mouth to let out a war cry. The training of psykers was far from a formalized process in the Legions at this time so Aodhan, who already possessed a violent temper, received his “training” by being unleashed with the vanguard to destroy the enemy in a sea of fire. A common sight during these days was Aodhan charging with a burning sword in one hand and pure fire in the other while protected by a shield made of flames. This practice was never accepted outside the 4th Grand Company where he belonged and heavily criticized for its carelessness, but for some reason it continued without interruptions. It was only after Mortarion banned the use of psychic powers that Aodhan’s time as a pyromancer came to an end, and with the later Edict of Nikaea he developed a strong hatred for both Primarch and Emperor. Commander Sogalon reassigned him to the honour guard where his skill with the blade came to good use. After the Battalion was exiled and took charge over the 90th Expedition unexplainable things started happening across the battlefields, things often omitted from official reports, and every time Aodhan was close by. Fireballs appearing out of nowhere, enemy bullets seemingly melting in the air around the champion, the charred husks of seven Eldar witches on Ninety-Twelve, and the Arch-Demagogue of Ulka whose skin started to burn when Aodhan lifted him by the throat. Outside the Terrans only Librarian Hormuzd of the XV Legion knows the source of all this, but like them he has kept his silence on the matter. During the betrayal on Istvaan III, Aodhan uses all his built up hatred and throws away all restraints to become his true self again; the result is a living firestorm that tears through the Traitor ranks without pause.

Notes: Bladesman Aodhan carries the remains of a vexilla from the XIV Legion's early days around his right leg as a memeory of the time before Mortarion.

Thanks a lot! I like using plastic parts, especially on characters to give them an unique look. It's also a bit of nostalgia from the days of Collected Visions and the first Heresy novels and models I built back then. With the pose I was aiming for something fitting a master duellist.

Phlegeton Destroyer Squad

gallery_73590_8946_73659.jpg

If a warrior who knows no fear is a dangerous weapon, then what about he who is dying and has nothing to lose?

- Trabakhal Gurthor; Moritat of the Destroyer Company, VIII Battalion

Purge-Sergeant Kullasten

gallery_73590_8946_14351.jpg

Stoyan Kullasten is a second generation Barbarus born who is believed to have started out in one of the more assault-oriented Tactical squads. As Purge-Sergeant of the Destroyer infantry he is only below Moritat Gurthor in the hierarchy of the Destroyer Company, where he has belonged for as long as anyone can remember. His reputation is that of a dark humoured and fatalistic warrior, leading some of the worst afflicted Destroyers in attacks best described as suicidal. While many of his legionaries fall, Kullasten always comes back with his gladius covered in blood, but if he was to die one day he would welcome it with open arms. Death is the unavoidable fate of all life, and also a relief from the poison in his veins. The Purge-Sergeant is Gurthor’s most loyal soldier, following his unstable Centurion in whatever atrocity without question and more than often volunteering to lead the spearhead assaults that has made the Company a feared formation. When the Destroyers were unleashed as a vanguard during the Bleeding Twins campaign, Kullasten and Phlegeton were involved in bloody trench-fighting outside the fortresses and inflicted heavy casualties on the Akateri defenders with their use of rad grenades and phosphex bombs. The squad later participated in the Cremator Guard’s violent cleansings of Fortresses 81 through 84. Kullasten is the first to take action when Gurthor executes Sorik Nikoman above Istvaan III, throwing himself at the Lodge Speaker’s second-in-command and savagely stabbing the traitor to death with a trench knife while uttering curses in the Barbarusan tongue.