Iron Hands - Starter Force

Anvilarium

Hi All,

I'm working on a Heresy-Era Iron Hands army at the moment. It needs to be an all-rounder as it is going to eventually be part of a narrative campaign. We're allowed 1500pts to begin with, but later on the sky is the limit!

Here's what I have so far, they will form the core of any force I build:

• HQ: Centurion (Librarian Consul) - Artificer Armour, Force Staff, Divination Powers (no ranged weapons equipped yet)
  • Troops 1: 20-Man Legion Tactical Squad. Nuncio-Vox, Legio Vexilla
  • Troops 2: 20-Man Legion Tactical Squad. Nuncio-Vox, Legio Vexilla
  • Heavy Support: Legion Predator Talon - 3 x Predators, Heavy Conversion Beamer Turret, Lascannon Sponsons, Hvy Bolter Pintle-Mounted, Havoc Launcher. 1 x Command Tank Upgrade.

So really I'm looking for advice on where to go next. I've got the following in the works:

• 2 x 10-Man Legion Tactical Support Squads (weapons to be determined - possibly Graviton Guns, as per the Head of the Gorgon Rite of War). One of these has been built already and just needs arming & painting.
  • 1 x Contemptor Dreadnought (Hvy Conversion Beamer & Powerclaw)
  • 15 x Cataphractii Terminators
  • 5 x Landspeeders (Heavy Bolters & Multimeltas?)
  • 3 x Basilisk Artillery Talon (could be converted to Medusas)
  • 1 x Landraider Phobos

I'm also looking at a 20-Man Legion Breacher Squad.

What should I concentrate on from the above list?

Based on what's there so far I'd suggest focusing on the Landspeeders, then Medusas - these both have different tactics to aid for foot slogging troops - the speeders can hunt tanks or transports, slowing enemy advance and taking out those options which your regular guys can't deal with - your artillery (especially if you later take a siege master) can pound light vehicles and infantry with ease and are barrage weapons so work well with nuncio-vox's for the added sight.

Thanks Russ!

I think I'll have a go at the Landspeeders first - I've already ripped out the old Mk7 Crews and stripped the paint off of them (they were from my old 40K army).

Just need to install new heresy-era crews and weapons and get painting!

I'll be following your travails intently as I'm running a terminator/contemptor based Hands force :) the only vehicles I'm intending on running are tanks, super heavies and pods so it's a whole different style haha

With the speeders it should counter the otherwise slow advance our guys normally have (especially with needing a LD for every Run move) and with the extra firepower without being static.

I like the core you have.  What's the total for that, ~1200?  Also, what ML is your Libby?

If I were you, I'd be looking at adding either a sizeable terminator component to help out your tacticals on foot, or a contemptor dread for more heavy conversion hilarity.

It is tempting to go with the arty squadron though, especially after seeing the pics of the Legion Basilisk model they're planning on releasing.

Archived