Corvus's Blood Angels - Command Squad WiP

Corvus_Danseur

Land Raider Has Arrived!

Finished up the Death Company Land Raider tonight. Pretty pleased with how it turned out. I equivocated for a while over adding red-cross designs in some way. But in the end decided that simple was best (mostly for my sanity). On the note of sanity... I am never again making a large vehicle DC... so.much.grey.lining. Anyways- I could have made it more detailed but again with a Fire Raptor to move onto next I settled for something that I liked and that I think looks pretty good. Enjoy!

gallery_75178_9041_91966.jpg

gallery_75178_9041_61814.jpg

gallery_75178_9041_88623.jpg

gallery_75178_9041_78521.jpg

gallery_75178_9041_68352.jpg

gallery_75178_9041_43961.jpggallery_75178_9041_56629.jpg

gallery_75178_9041_35397.jpggallery_75178_9041_65708.jpg

Thanks to all for the positive comments- tis much appreciated and a great motivator to get things done smile.png.

@Nicodemus - batreps take a while for me to write, a few hours of work. And with the PhD starting to bite hard I'm struggling to find the time to write up any of the games I manage to get in. However just for you I will do my best to get the next one documented msn-wink.gif.

Oh and steal design ideas away! That's kinda the point :)

I totally understand about the batreps -- I owe the Astra Militarum a few myself. So no worries, but if you do find the time know they are appreciated as they are helping me as I (very slowly) build up my Angels Sorrowful.

P. S. Great job on the DC land raider too. The black looks really good.

I am never again making a large vehicle DC... so.much.grey.lining.

Oh and steal design ideas away! That's kinda the point 

Drybrushing works great on vehicles with sharp edges, just saying. You usually get a much cleaner and more even result too compared to lining, unless you really want thick highlights.

What did you use for fuel barrels?

Thanks for the dry-brushing tip- its not a technique I have really sorted to a level I am happy with yet, but will give it  a go. 

The barrels are actually the fuel cannisters for the Infernus cannons. I just use the targeter from Hurricane Bolters for both the bolters and the flamer options. And the barrels go on top with some modelling chain to 'hold' them down. 

Thanks for the dry-brushing tip- its not a technique I have really sorted to a level I am happy with yet, but will give it  a go. 

Get yourself a flat brush, about 0,5-1 cm wide and then cut it down so the hairs protrude max 1 cm from the metal. This gives you much better control compared to using a normal round brush.

Stay away from GWs 'dry' range. They are excellent when the pots are factory new, but as soon as they dry up just a little bit (or they've been sitting on a shelf for a while in the store) they get chunky and borderline useless.  

Get yourself a flat brush, about 0,5-1 cm wide and then cut it down so the hairs protrude max 1 cm from the metal. This gives you much better control compared to using a normal round brush.

Stay away from GWs 'dry' range. They are excellent when the pots are factory new, but as soon as they dry up just a little bit (or they've been sitting on a shelf for a while in the store) they get chunky and borderline useless.  

Ah right- that would be where I am going wrong... on all counts! Will definitely give that a go, many thanks!

The problem I've had with dry-brushing black vehicles is that I haven't found a colour I like ... I use Skavenblight Dinge for the highlighting on my Death Company, so for consistency I like to use that on black vehicles, but you simply cannot dry brush with that paint as it is too watery. So I end up doing lining and I painted a black Land Raider also (albeit for an Inquisitor, not DC) so I definitely feel your pain, Corvus. It's a major reason why, despite costs, my DC wear jump packs.

The problem I've had with dry-brushing black vehicles is that I haven't found a colour I like ... I use Skavenblight Dinge for the highlighting on my Death Company, so for consistency I like to use that on black vehicles, but you simply cannot dry brush with that paint as it is too watery. So I end up doing lining and I painted a black Land Raider also (albeit for an Inquisitor, not DC) so I definitely feel your pain, Corvus. It's a major reason why, despite costs, my DC wear jump packs.

I use the old 'charadon granite' foundation (similar to the new 'Dryad Bark' base)  with a tiny bit of black ink mixed into the pot (real ink, not ink washes) to darken it for my first layer. It's very subtle, hardly visible in poor lightning conditions.

Then I hit it with a very careful 'adeptus battle grey' (Similar to the new 'Celestra Grey' base but slightly brighter and less blue) for final edge highlights. 

Both of these have a very slight green/blue hue to them, it helps a bit to avoid that flat and dusty look you get with flat greys and whites. 

Mucho awesomeness, nice work Corvus :)

Must confess I skirt around highlighting on vehicles by using metallic weathering. A dry piece of sponge dipped in chainmail then rub the excess paint off onto something else until it's dry on the sponge and away you go, good for large edges and great for working in scrapes and scratches on flat panel paintwork.

Thanks Shaezus! I must confess that is exactly what I did as well.... after highlighting it all... maybe I should just do the metallic weathering methinks.

In other news: Fire Raptor WiP Update

I have finally finished filling in the gaps (well most of them) on the fire raptor, and undercoated the ball turrets. So not much to show off really, but thought would put it up anyway. This is the first major Forgeworld model that I have put together, and boy has it been a learning curve. I probably rushed the construction a bit, hence the extensive filling that I have now had to do. Pictures might not show it that well, but essentially 80% of the joins in the rear/engine section of the Raptor have had to be filled to some degree.

gallery_75178_9041_118797.jpg

gallery_75178_9041_55434.jpggallery_75178_9041_6624.jpggallery_75178_9041_9979.jpggallery_75178_9041_16047.jpg

gallery_75178_9041_10761.jpg

Until next time... when hopefully the beast might have a bit more paint on it!

P.S. Oh and I am playing a 1750 game against Necrons at the weekend, will do my best to get a batrep from it up!

To echo Jolemai... conversion kit???

@Midnight_runner: thanks! It was ok to put together.... I mean it goes. But it doesn't go perfectly as you get use to with standard GW plastics. The main problem was with the long hull sections. I snapped one above the ball joint hole whilst reforming it in hot water- such a thin and long part. All the rest of the problems stem from this really. I also found that the four main hull parts don't quite fit each others proportions exactly which again makes life tricker for the rest- and the internal bulkhead was too large for the space... might just be me of course on this last one! Overall I would say a bit of a pain the in proverbial rear... but not a total nightmare! 

The raider looks very nice, mate, and I cant wait to see the raptor in action. It will probably kill me, but who knows; maybe I can get lucky and kill it instead. 

Looking forward to our next game. I have a new 1500p list to try, with Eldar this time, so whenever you want to give it a go, just say the word. =) 

Hehehe thanks Natanael- sadly I'm teaching most of next week... but maybe a later(ish) game at Playoteket on Wednesday? The Angels Wrath (decided on a name for the Raptor) awaits you!

@Red Worm: Pleasure to be of service, now I am onto the painting stage I am really loving it (well apart from the first coat of red... yawnnnnnn). It makes for a very intimating silhouette on my shelf. I find painting to dramatic classical music suits it well!

Played a game on Saturday with a new style list... a great success was head, two wins- both by turn 3. What has caused this turn around in form? Well you will have to wait for the batreps to go up msn-wink.gif.

Another Raptor WiP

Progress is being made on the Raptor... ball turrets are done (on the Raptor for photo sake, not glued), and don't panic the canopy is masking taped not painted.

gallery_75178_9041_88655.jpg

gallery_75178_9041_98575.jpg

gallery_75178_9041_66347.jpg

gallery_75178_9041_66397.jpg

Thanks all as ever for all the comments- motivational as always!

Archived