Knights Errant, Dark Angels, Grey Knights Discussion

Adding to what I put earlier, it was mentioned that the Atramentar disband themselves upon Sevatar's death, though this fact is relayed to us, the reader, from an outsider of that group. That raises two other potential possibilities.

One, that Sevatar faked his own death, probably by way of an explosion that managed to keep itself in tune with a lightning metal guitar riff.

Two, that the Atramentar are aware of their leader's perfidy (can there be perfidy among the perfidious? How do you betray the betrayers?) and disbanded themselves in shame, telling others that the bastard had died a traitor's death as their own form of " censored.gif you!" to Sevatar.

Cormac, you are an evil evil evil person for perverting my words. Henceforth, you shall be known as Darth... Erebus!

Darth Erebus. Not the lightspear-wielding Darth Pugilis, master of the darker ways of fisticuffs.

Please, Kol. Just stop trying.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

Going along with the idea that maybe Kyron is a nudge towards the mythological figure Chiron, who was a Centaur, it is notable that Horus identified himself with something his father, the Emperor, had once pointed out to him among the stars and in humanity's past: the Dreadful Sagittary. The description depicted in the book, Google tells me Horus Rising, goes along with what it clearly sounds like it is, Sagittarius. It also went along with the common imagery associated with Sagittarius, centaurs.

If the name Kyron is meant to be a hint towards the former Legion the Marine was a part of, then it might not even be the Night Lords. It might be the Sons of Horus.

Hell, it might even be Little Horus, who was present with the rest of the Mournival when their Primarch recounted that tale of his childhood with the Emperor and has been shown to feel regret or remorse over his actions at Isstvan III and the over-all change to his lord's demeanor, that led to the Heresy.

Or Loken, for that matter. But I still wish he was dead.

The Lion is shown to have had numerous blades in his personal armory, none of which have been identified to date as "The Lion Sword." It's basically a toss up which is "the Lion Sword" at this point, almost any could have been called that eventually. It is may be the sword that he dueled Luther with, which Cypher may have "stepped" through the Warp to grab prior to the completion of Caliban's break up and Luther's retrieval by the DA.

It could also be the sword Hope, which was the twin of Despair, Despair being the sword the Lion used to destroy the Lord of Change. How he would have gotten it or where is somewhat questionable, but it would be a suitably named (and now lineaged) blade to have the import required to be the "Lion Sword".

I thought it was canon that GK gene-seed comes from the Emperor?

Speculated and unconfirmed.

And, technically, it could be argued that it IS the Emp's, as the knowledge that Arik used to cast a new gene-seed was the Emperor's knowledge.

I haven't read it personally but I thought it was confirmed in the background section of the GK codex?

Technically all gene-seed is created with the Emperor's knowledge. I mean came from the Emperor himself, his genetic code.

Except the gene-seed that Arik Taranis created in a lab. That's the me-made conspiracy, bro.

Not to mention, c'mon. How bloody cool would it be to say that one of the founding Grand Masters was...

The.

Lightning.

Bearer.

Hell yes.

I haven't read it personally but I thought it was confirmed in the background section of the GK codex?

Technically all gene-seed is created with the Emperor's knowledge. I mean came from the Emperor himself, his genetic code.

Well the big problem with "canon" in 40K is that there is no such thing as a reliable narrator. Each codex is basically written to correspond with history as its own faction sees it while also being heavily biased towards their patrons. So the GK Codex would basically be written by the GKs. So if they saw their gene-seed a being the Emperor's own, then they would write down that their gene-seed is the Emperor's gene-seed.

My mistake then, I didn't realise codices (had to look that up) were written in that style. Haven't picked one up since C:SM 4th edition, a good few years ago sweat.gif

Also 1000heathens, The Lightning Bearer is probably the best warhammer nickname I have ever read laugh.png

My mistake then, I didn't realise codices (had to look that up) were written in that style. Haven't picked one up since C:SM 4th edition, a good few years ago sweat.gif

Also 1000heathens, The Lightning Bearer is probably the best warhammer nickname I have ever read laugh.png

Plus, he's the last Thunder Warrior. He crafted the gene-seed, with a portion of his own flesh. This could explain the Gk ability to resist psychic powers, as the Thunder Warriors were known to have the same ability.

That's what I said!

Stupid Ace.

*snort*

Well the big problem with "canon" in 40K is that there is no such thing as a reliable narrator. Each codex is basically written to correspond with history as its own faction sees it while also being heavily biased towards their patrons. So the GK Codex would basically be written by the GKs. So if they saw their gene-seed a being the Emperor's own, then they would write down that their gene-seed is the Emperor's gene-seed.

I think each codex is written by a high level Inquisitor.  To say a evil robot, wrote Codex Necron would be weird.  They all seem to be written from the perspective of the humans.  Perhaps a Eldar librarian who guards the Black Library.

Israfael is dead. The GK in Pandorax says something like another Dark Angel with a sacred sword had taken that path in his stead, which in 40k would be Cypher. Although I don't why Cypher would have the Lion Sword before the Fall, unless it was left on Caliban, I believe that Cypher helped him leave Caliban through some warp ritual, like Erebus and his disciples use, in order to bring word to the Emperor/Lion about Caliban's fall.

There is no mention of a sword

'This was not foreseen. A different path was laid out for you, yet you do not walk it. how can that be? 'there was genuine fear in the daemon's voices.

'Somebody switched places with me. that is now his path to walk,

the fact that we are talking about who wrote them in the actually 40k universe is sad and hilarious. 40k adict problems biggrin.png

You might be right but i often ponder who the in verse writer of the books might be. For some books like the Liber Chaotica, it is part of the story /fluff...

There are sections of Codexes written from a Narative point of voice in universes.  Most isn't.  It's Real World information for us players.

The history of the GK in the GK codex is of the second sort.  Background information for us.

I've quoted the passage on the first page of this thread.

The GK gene-seed is from the Emperor.

Sure, there is no Canon, blah blah.  In which case the GK are founded by John Winchester, and Sam and Dean Winchester are the two original Supreme Grand Masters.

Or we can ignore that foolishness and go by the printed information we have on the subject...

Speculated and unconfirmed.

If you never trust anything written about 40k, becuase of in universe bias, then how can *anything* ever be confirmed?

There are sections of Codexes written from a Narative point of voice in universes.  Most isn't.  It's Real World information for us players.

Nopes. Everything with the 40K logo on it follows the same rules of what's true and what's not.

Let's consider some of the things we must accept if Codexes are infallible founts of truth:

The Imperium of Man never loses, they just throw more Guardsmen into the grinder. (Codex, Imperial Guard)

The Imperium of Man is doomed and Abaddon will soon crush the remains of the False Emperor to dust beneath his ceramite boots.

(Codex: Chaos Space Marines)

Tzeencht has a library that contains literally ALL KNOWLEDGE EVER and he planned everything ever.

(Codex: Chaos Daemons)

So the points costs for each unit are written from the perspective of a being living in the 40K universe?

Might be, but we know those are the parts that are true. :) Although depending on who you talk to, maybe even those aren't really true.

I would think that ADB was speaking concerning the narrative text within the Codexes though, not the rules, and as an actual writer for the setting, knows more than any of us.

Archived