++ The Murderers' Call - A Night Lords Community ++

Flint13

My list, untested as yet.  Built to exploit our Legion traits plus the Battalion and Brigade CP's at higher levels, but admittedly not built from a power standpoint; compromises to fit my fluff narrative made liberally!

1k pts all-rounder list:

Termi Lord - Combi-bolter, Lightning Claw

Terminators (5) - Champ LC's; Combi-Flamer/Power Sword; Combi-Melta/Power Fist; Combi-Plasma/Power Maul; Combi-Bolter/Power Axe

Marines (10) - 2x HB

Marines (10) - Champ Combi-Plasma; 2x Plasma

Bikers (3) - Champ Power Sword, Bike Combi-Bolter; 2x Bike Meltaguns; 2x Chainswords

Raptors (10) - Champ Power Sword; 2x Meltaguns

500 pts additional all-rounder:

Sorcerer - Force Sword

Marines (5) - Autocannon

Cultists (24) - Flamer

Havocs (5) - Champ Combi-Plasma, Power Sword; 4x Plasma Guns; Rhino

500pts Anti-personnel:

Dark Apostle - Power Maul

Berzerkers (8) - Champ Chainaxe; Rhino

Marines (5)

Warp Talons (6) - MoS; LC's

500pts Anti-armour:

Warpsmith - Power Axe, Meltagun, Flamer, Plasma Pistol

Helbrute - Fist, Reaper AC

Marines (6) - Lascannon

Havocs (7) - 2x Lascannon, Autocannon, Missile Launcher

500pts Anti-air:

Flyers (2) - 2x Hellblades, Helstorm Cannon

Havocs (8) - 2x Missile Launcher, Autocannon, Lascannon

Well guys I don't know about you but I am having trouble with correctly alpha striking my opponents off the board. My list revolves around three melta raptor squads and three maulerfiends, backed up by a Prince and a Sorcerer. Added to this I either take huge warp talon squads or huge terminator squads. The problem is however, that I never seem to be able to kill what I want to kill in one go. You'd think two units of raptors with three meltaguns each would be enough to kill a stormtalon, but in actual fact, I've never managed this. Do you have any tips on how to get my alpha strike off?

Well guys I don't know about you but I am having trouble with correctly alpha striking my opponents off the board. My list revolves around three melta raptor squads and three maulerfiends, backed up by a Prince and a Sorcerer. Added to this I either take huge warp talon squads or huge terminator squads. The problem is however, that I never seem to be able to kill what I want to kill in one go. You'd think two units of raptors with three meltaguns each would be enough to kill a stormtalon, but in actual fact, I've never managed this. Do you have any tips on how to get my alpha strike off?

Six meltaguns deals an average of 7 wounds by my reckoning, so it isn't really enough to injure a stormtalon unless you roll very high (and there's an equal chance you'll do stuff all). Popping prescience and VOTLW on one of the units gets you 9.31 wounds and it's then worth sending another volley if they're slannesh marked for a total of 15.12 wounds on average. THAT should shoot your stormtalon off the table if you want to invest the 3cp and the psyker. If you really want whatever is there dead then drop in a psyker, a lord and your melta raptors. Warptime one unit of raptors below 6" so you get the 2d6 pick the highest and then do the other shenanigans on them. Your single unit of slannesh raptors is now doing 18 wounds on average and the other contributes another 4. Getting powerful alpha strikes off is all about making use of aura buffs and psychic power enhancements. I can show my working but the math-hammer and my head cold is making my brain ache so maybe not tonight. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick wee question from me here and i'm sorry if its already been posted/asked.

What sites do you guys use to get the gruesome stuff for your armies? I.E. corpses, skulls, flayed skin, weapons, banners , bases, chains, barbed wire and night lord looking armour upgrades?

Thanks

Just a quick wee question from me here and i'm sorry if its already been posted/asked.

What sites do you guys use to get the gruesome stuff for your armies? I.E. corpses, skulls, flayed skin, weapons, banners , bases, chains, barbed wire and night lord looking armour upgrades?

Thanks

I use zombie boxes from warhammer fantasy and mantic zombies :) 

Thanks

I use zombie boxes from warhammer fantasy and mantic zombies :smile.:

Same! There's some good greenstuff tutorials on B&C too for flayed skin which I'm using and just got the GW skull box, which is awesome. The only thing I need is a box of skeleton since they seem to have all sorts of batwings attached.

On another note, I am travelling to the UK for a tournament in NOvember and I am bringing the NL. Really scampering to finish the army at this point but I wanted to see if you guys have any feedback on the list! 

Battalion and Outrider detachments for 7 CP, 2k total.

Prince with wings, two malific talons, mark of Slaanesh and the Slaanesh Relic. Warlord (bit of a tossup between the NL warlord trait and the generic roll 2D6 for LD tests one). death hex psychic power.

Sorcerer with wings, mark of slaanesh and force axe, prescience and slaanesh psychic power.

Sorcercer with wings and force sword, prescience and warptime.

2x 10 cultists.

1x11 cultists.

10 terminators with lightning claws and combi-plasmas, mark of slaanesh.

3x 5 raptors with 2 melta guns, champion with combi-melta, chainsword and icon of nurgle.

3x maulerfiends with lashertendrils. 

The basic idea is to terminator bomb the enemy to smithereens with the terminators with sorcerer support. They should be able to roll up an entire flank by themselves, by deleting two squads with the slaanesh stratagem and assaulting another squad. plus will require a lot of shooting to keep down allowing the fiends with the prince to come up on the other flank. Raptors will deep strike and melta enemy armour to death. I feel like I need these guys to deal with flyers and the occaisional super heavies but I am also concerned I might not need the massive point investment on the special weapons as A) the termies can kill everything and b) I want to assault with them since they cause a massive -LD for opponents. The cultists are mainly there for CP generation and to be obsec. Plus any time the opponent shoots at them he isn't shooting at the rest of the army so that is a bonus. 

what do you think? I magnetised the terminators and raptors so I can switch their loadout as desired. 

Edited by Daionosis

Thanks

Various zombie kits are a good source for trophies as Dardl already said above, and if you're prepared to comb through various bits sites you can find some nice trophies from Dark Eldar kits, AoS Chaos, Orruks, Vampire Counts etc. for added variation

When it comes to armour... Well, anything goes. Night Lords are plunderers and scavengers so as long as you remove (or defile) any obviously imperial symbol, and give it a 'proper' paint job you're fine. FW has some pretty sweet (though expensive) upgrades aswell.

As a small example of what can be done by mixing kits:

taXtDQR.png

KBnjDHT.png

Not the best of pictures, but I hope they show how mixing bits can bring some much needed variation to the rather aged CSM kit while still looking like the traitors they are. :smile.:

Edited by MrBear

Cheers for the feedback guys.

I thought the zombie kit might have been a good port of call, in fact I think the entire death range would probably be good.

one last annoying question if you wouldn't mind?

Any of you guys had any practise at painting exposed muscle? I.E. a flayed corpse.

I thought the zombie kit might have been a good port of call, in fact I think the entire death range would probably be good.

Any of you guys had any practise at painting exposed muscle? I.E. a flayed corpse.

Duncan provides:

I base the corpse in rakarth flesh then apply blood for the blood god liberally. I feel it gives of the feel of the stick underpart of skin. 

cRM0Mno.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience the legion traits haven't really made a dent yet. Each time I totally eviscerate an enemy unit in the LD phase, they just use the stratagem to keep 'em alive. I am not sure if that is due to me not playing well enough or due to the fact the traits aren't that good. The jury is still out on that one. I think it might work better to stay away from the all-out assault I am doing at the moment, to surgical cuts and LD minusses. 

I do love the way the army plays, really fast and with an individual playstyle.  

In my experience the legion traits haven't really made a dent yet. Each time I totally eviscerate an enemy unit in the LD phase, they just use the stratagem to keep 'em alive.

Well it makes them 'waste' CP at least. Considering how many powerful stratagems we now have with all the Codex releases I think that has worth on its own. ^^

In my experience the legion traits haven't really made a dent yet. Each time I totally eviscerate an enemy unit in the LD phase, they just use the stratagem to keep 'em alive.

Well it makes them 'waste' CP at least. Considering how many powerful stratagems we now have with all the Codex releases I think that has worth on its own. ^^

For sure! And our own stratagems is also quite useful. All my opponents always ask me if I can declare the stratgem after they've overheated their plasma's.

In my experience the legion traits haven't really made a dent yet. Each time I totally eviscerate an enemy unit in the LD phase, they just use the stratagem to keep 'em alive. I am not sure if that is due to me not playing well enough or due to the fact the traits aren't that good. The jury is still out on that one. I think it might work better to stay away from the all-out assault I am doing at the moment, to surgical cuts and LD minusses. 

Very interesting, i'd love to hear more. Also, what list do you run?

So how is everyone doing, gamewise?

I've heard a lot of people say our new legion tactics are cool but i've not seen a single batrep!

Would love to hear your experiences as i build up my army.

I made some Termies run away in the morale phase because there were three cultists nearby. It was funny.

So how is everyone doing, gamewise?

I've heard a lot of people say our new legion tactics are cool but i've not seen a single batrep!

Would love to hear your experiences as i build up my army.

I made some Termies run away in the morale phase because there were three cultists nearby. It was funny.

Must have been the scariest Cultists in the whole universe to make some Space Marines in Terminator armor run away. :biggrin.:

Afternoon guys. How is everyone?

So I have nearly accumulated enough bits to start building my first few units of night lords (still need loads to make any size of a force)
One of the things I have is an 8 strong unit of reivers that I'm planning on turning into zerkers, talons or raptors.

If I choose the talons or raptors which one out of the two would you suggest and with what load out?

I run a Prince, jumppack sorcerer, lord, 3x12 cultists, a 10 man plasma/lightningclaw terminator unit (slaanesh of course), 3x5 raptors w/ 3 meltas and nurgle icon and 3 maulerfiends. 

The list is designed to be in your face turn 1 and never leave there. I really hope to epitomises the NL tactics of applying overwhelming force in one area, before leaving the next.

I want first turn for the alpha strike, but should be fine when going second as I'll be able to first turn charge with everything which started on the board and did not die and the deepstrikers will be protected anyway. I've noticed positioning is key, as the fiends and the shooters really, really need the rerolls and if I misplace the terminators it's game over. My heart's wish would be to ditch the maulerfiends and load up on contemptors with butchercannons.. Bu they costs 50 points a piece more, so I'd have to ditch the cultists and thus lose a lot of CP, something this army really needs.

I run a Prince, jumppack sorcerer, lord, 3x12 cultists, a 10 man plasma/lightningclaw terminator unit (slaanesh of course), 3x5 raptors w/ 3 meltas and nurgle icon and 3 maulerfiends. 

The list is designed to be in your face turn 1 and never leave there. I really hope to epitomises the NL tactics of applying overwhelming force in one area, before leaving the next.

I want first turn for the alpha strike, but should be fine when going second as I'll be able to first turn charge with everything which started on the board and did not die and the deepstrikers will be protected anyway. I've noticed positioning is key, as the fiends and the shooters really, really need the rerolls and if I misplace the terminators it's game over. My heart's wish would be to ditch the maulerfiends and load up on contemptors with butchercannons.. Bu they costs 50 points a piece more, so I'd have to ditch the cultists and thus lose a lot of CP, something this army really needs.

That's a pretty dangerous list, I like it. Silly question but are you shooting the enemy off the table before they get scared enough to run away? :P

Yeah, when it works, it works, haha. Sadly the 9" deepstrike just means almost no units get into cc during the primary drop, except for the killer terminators which get warptimed, then turn 2 most of the raptors get shot, some live and they make it in combat, but usually do not last long enough to make a dent in the morale phase. It's one of the hardest things for my list I think, as I want to get the raptors in close combat to kill the enemy in the morale phase, but I also want them to be near vehicles and monster to blow them up with shooting. This is where the contemptors could really make an impact. If I'd find the points for three of them, I'd give them butcher cannons which work against everything, and give the raptors all plasma pistols so they'll perform better in close combat with the extra chainsword attacks and still be able to fire them when they're in close combat. 

I do love those terminators though, I converted them up from cataphractii and gave them all skull helmets, they look suitably badass.