The Lost and Forgotten: Building the II Legion

Athrawes

@Dragonkin Arenis: The cultural "theme' for the Legion is broken down like this in my head. Stylistic embellishments on armor and Madrigals culture most closely resemble "Bushido" and Feudal Japan. However, the prevalence of Madrigals Storm-cloud Sea (and though you don't see much of it now) 18 and 19th century naval tradition will play a huge role on the shaping of the Primarch and the culture of Madrigal before the coming of the Emperor. 

As a Hint for avid history fans who are interested in the trajectory that the Legion might take towards their end, the Primarchs name Icarion is another of the greek character Icarus, and their story will be somewhat related. 

As always questions and comments are encouraged.

So basically, these guys are Feudal Japanese Napoleonic Sailors? That's certainly unusual, but I can see it working, for sure. Colour me curious.

And I take it Icarion will take a fall? ;)

(I'm guessing he goes to close to the sun/a Warp Storm and either goes mad thanks to the effects of the Warp or is killed in a freak accident)

Looking forward to see more of the "Second Sons".

I have to say that i'm a little surprised by how positive the this boards reaction has been to this project!

If I'm being honest, part of me was afraid that this project wouldn't have a good reception because of the stigma or taboo of the Lost Legions,

Thank you for helping me stay excited about this project.

I have to say that i'm a little surprised by how positive the this boards reaction has been to this project!

If I'm being honest, part of me was afraid that this project wouldn't have a good reception because of the stigma or taboo of the Lost Legions,

Here at the B&C we punish no one for creative thought in their projects, you may get some honest feed back and because you have a vested interest, it could seem harsh but I assure you there will be no malice behind it. The B&C is my home on the web and thats because of those facts!

I think you're doing a great job with this thread so far. You have a great talent for modelling/painting and fluff making. I am also intrigued by you're usage of Icarus in your fluff, I had briefly played with the idea of using Achilles and his Myrmidons or some other naval entity as inspiration for the II Legion.

Also did you by chance use this as your inspiration as your primarch? Cause I think your concept and the similarities are fantastic! thumbsup.gif

http://saint-max.deviantart.com/art/The-XIth-Primarch-206846463

Excerpt from "A Grande Historie of the Late Unification. Appendix: Legiones Astartes"

By the time the raising of the II Legion was initiated, the 'First Legion' had been in existence for more than a decade, fighting alongside the dwindling regiments of Thunder Warriors at the Emperors side. In those first years of trials and gene augmentation, much of the character of the II Legion was built upon the experiences and guidance of Legion I officers, who planned and oversaw the training regimes of the II Legion. Whilst initially, this was orchestrated in the hopes of building a strong sense of fraternity amongst the earliest of Astartes, it had the unfortunate effect of straining relations between the only two legions in existence at the time.

It was during the conquest of the Nord-Merican Techno-Enclaves that this burgeoning rivalry would come to a head and the II Legion would finally establish itself.

At the time, the II Legion numbered only a few hundred Astartes which in the opinion of the Emperors advisors from the I Legion command echelon, made them suitable only for support operations while the swelling ranks of the 'First Legion' took on the brunt of the war effort.

The conquest of Nord-Merica was beginning to slow as the I Legion became stretched thin with requests for its assistance. Petitions to aid the conquest by the II Legion command cadre were routinely denied by I Legion officers confidant in their Legions ability to handle the war on their own.

News of the great purges being carried out by the Tyrant Nikolai the Mad would forever shape the fate of the II Legion.

It was said the Emperor 'Beloved by all' wept when he was informed of the great holocaust carried out by the Mad Tyrant, for though he wished dearly to enact his will upon the Barbarian Lord, The 'First Legion' was spread to thin to save the Tyrants citizens from death.

The 'First Legion' commanders again refused the II Legion petition to aid them, citing 'unsatisfactory' victory projections. So it was that the commander of the II Legion, moved by the Emperors sorrow, resolved to act in his name and save the citizens-slaves of the Mad Tyrant from their fate.

Plans were quickly drawn and in the middle of the night, 200 Astartes of the II Legion broke into one of the Legion I weapon depots and raided it for supplies. Among these "requisitions" were two I Legion Stormbirds and powered armor for every legionary.

What followed was a daring midnight raid of the Tyrant palace by the II Legion culminating in an epic duel between the Tyrant himself and the then Legion Master Korvost Sahaal. Though casualties amongst the II Legion were high, by dawn the Tyrant along with his lieutenants were slain and his citizen-slaves liberated.

Despite their success, all expected the II Legion to receive some measure of censure for what they had done in order to carry out the emperors will. What happened next shocked everyone.

The Emperor, calling together the leaders II Legion stood before them and kneeled proclaiming: "You shall be likened to a thunderbolt, the essence of my wrath, liberators to Humanity."

With those words, the Emperor granted the II Legion the Icon of the 'Thunderbolt of Unification' to use as their personal heraldry. From this proclamation, the II Legion took for themselves the name 'Liberators' vowing to forever embody the Emperors will, and to stand second to no legion in defense of humanity.

Though their name and Legion crest would change with the discovery of Icarion, the II Legion would forever bestow the Thunderbolt bisecting a blue shield to legionaries who embody the Emperors ideal for the Great Crusade.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sentinel Raiden Athrawes, Captain of 9th Company and 2nd Battalion

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/45D752E8-B2A8-4AD3-BFC3-CAFC32135FD4.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/C973FD25-C013-4533-8C7D-20D536C1CE51.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/DB669D3C-3B39-422D-8C0D-E1A93EB8F6AC.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/4C677074-8392-4ABF-80F5-D525A644367E.jpg
(Pictured above is Sentinel Raiden Athrawes of 9th Company. Note: in this image, Sentinel Athrawes is wielding the sword "Lightning" said to be a relic of the Thunder King and sister-blade to Icarions weapon "Thunderchild")

Not sure if the cables on the archotech pistol work. I know that's how it comes but at the higher angle it looks a little odd to me. Other then that a fantastic model, and a really nice paint job. I like the way you've fleshed the background out to pre-primarch times. It has also make me think that if BL or Fw ever do cover the unification wars, they will have a hard time not discussing at least the 2nd legion with out saying stuff like 'battle removed from annuals' a lot.

Fanfare to Triumph: The Emperor Descends Upon Madrigal

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/9CAE751F-B911-4C8F-AF98-5FFE07963FA2.jpg?t=1390441269

(Pictured above is a Woodcarving depicting the Imperium arriving above Madrigal)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I really don't know if my sketches add anything to this log (I'm a much better modeler/painter than artist.) Sometimes I just feel that these doodles might help you (and me!) to better understand the world I'm trying to create for the Legion. In a similar vain, I apologize for the wall of background text if it is a bit unwieldily to digest. Hopefully it helps more than hurts this log in terms of making these guys a credible Astartes Legion.

@Demon2027: I have been going back and forth on the pistol cable to be honest, I kept it because I liked how arcane it made the weapon look but who knows, maybe some more tinkering is in order XD 

Reason for this is a lot of people who try to do a lost legion is because they tend to get over the top in making their interpretation of the lost legion. They try to make their legion the best at everything. Avoid this pitfall and you'll be fine.

So far I'm digging it.

Definitely and interesting thread. I do really like the look of the models. Sentinel Daivyn looks very noble.

Quick question, though I know you've been modeling them differently, when you wrote :

Though their name and Legion crest would change with the discovery of
Icarion, the II Legion would forever bestow the Thunderbolt bisecting a
blue shield to legionaries who embody the Emperors ideal for the Great
Crusade.

Were you intentionally referencing the Storm Wardens?

Definitely and interesting thread. I do really like the look of the models. Sentinel Daivyn looks very noble.

Quick question, though I know you've been modeling them differently, when you wrote :

Though their name and Legion crest would change with the discovery of

Icarion, the II Legion would forever bestow the Thunderbolt bisecting a

blue shield to legionaries who embody the Emperors ideal for the Great

Crusade.

Were you intentionally referencing the Storm Wardens?

Funnily enough, I hadn't heard of them until I started doing research for this project. You see, my initial idea for a legion crest was a thunder bolt bisecting a blue shield but as my fluff evolved I changed it to the storm star icon. You can see the original legion crest decorating the terminator Volta. I decided to decorate certain squads with the old legion badge to pay homage to my first idea. As you can see in the photos, the thunderbolt is more like the symbol of Imperial unity and less like the white scars or storm warders chapter.

I've been so eager to see more of this project, and you haven't disappointed. I love the fluff on the Legion's earliest exploits, as it's something that you often don't see with the other Legions, and the fact that you're taking the time to fill them out from the very start rather than from when their Primarch joined them.

Athrawes is sweet, but I share the reservations on the Archaeotech pistol's cable; tinkering is needed ;)

Excerpt from "Field Manual XK-II\ji-009: Rank structure and Organization of the II Legion Astartes"

At the time of the Terminus Event, The II Legion was constituted by no more than 20 Companies with a total Legion disposition of fewer than 50,000 line Astartes.

9thCompany Structure

Company Captain (voted senior battalion Captain, Bears honorific title
‘Sentinel’)

• 3-5 Battalions (500 Legionaries Each)      

Battalion Captain (1st Maniple Centurion)  

• 5 Maniples (100 Legionaries Each)  

Maniple Centurion

• 5-10 Squads (5-20 Legionaries Each) 

Squad Sergeant

Note: While In Tactical command of a company in a combat theater, Company Captains retain
direct command of their respective Battalion and Maniple. As an officer rises
higher inside a company Rank structure, they can choose to nominate a lieutenant
or Senior sergeant to oversee the day to day running of their Maniple/battalion.

Rank Signifiers: Upon elevation to the rank of Sergeant and Lieutenant, Astartes are give then honor of bearing a Longitudinal Helmet Crest. Upon elevation to the rank of Centurion, this is replaced by a Transverse Crest. Upon being elevated to the rank of battalion Captain, Astartes are given the option to replace their Centurion Crest with a Captain Storm-Cloak (a carry over from tradition on the Legions homeworld). Upon nomination to the post of Company Sentinel (or Senior Captain), a Captain can choose to adorn their helmet with a datemono Crest, signifying their nobility in the eyes of the Primarch. (It is worth noting that in addition to Sentinels, certain elite organizations such as the Volta, or dually honored individuals may don the datemono Crest.)

Within the Legion, the Council of Sentinels is the highest organizational body, lead by the First Sentinel under the auspice of the Primarch.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/7EE9B126-A0FA-43D2-B01E-EB197D7D862D.jpg?t=1390605541
(Pictured above is Sentinel Raiden Athrawes of 9th Company. Note: in this image, Sentinel Athrawes is wielding the sword "Lightning" said to be a relic of the Thunder King and sister-blade to Icarions weapon "Thunderchild")

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/D69564DF-0789-430E-9D84-D032D6DD3CCF.jpg?t=1390519713

(Pictured above is Legionary  Ren Sobak of the Volta)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

@Lykos: I loved the idea of modeling the blinded nature of the Volta so much that I just had to give it a try, I have to say I'm pretty pleased. Thank you so much for the suggestion.

I'm also fairly pleased with the removal of the cabling from Sentinel Raiden's Archeotech Pistol.

Really nice modelling and painting, it seems like you have put a lot of thought into your whole project. I especially like the parallel with the Emperors Children being given the Aquila as their personal symbol, and the Thunder Legion/Liberators receiving the thunderbolt. Hope to see more soon!

As a Hint for avid history fans who are interested in the trajectory that the Legion might take towards their end, the Primarchs name Icarion is another of the greek character Icarus, and their story will be somewhat related.

So long as you use this as your theme song.

Higher quality models and paintjobs tend to sway things positively too, lol.

But really, the reason most "Lost Legion" projects end up running afoul of the community is when they try to explain that the Legion wasn't lost, and comes up with some reason, or loophole, or other excuse how they survived. If you just want to write a backstory and model up the legion and still have it coform to the basic "rules" of 40K, people will be curious. Basically, you're not breaking shared universe with your project. Everyone operates under the understanding that the II and XI were once a thing, then at some point they were not a thing anymore. Your project seems to stay in those confines.

That, and people here tend to be a bit more open minded about projects like this.

I think it's fairly interesting what you've put together so far.

I just wanted to say that I've been a strong proponent of the Major Arcana interpretation to the missing primarchs for a number of years.  I think it's wonderful that you're basing the II legion on some of the inference it suggests.  In addition, the theme of the legion and the homeworld sounds tremendously interesting.  I'm picturing a world of sky pirates and navigation/divination via the stars and other celestial bodies (though I could be way off).

I'm wondering if you've given thought to the discovery order of Icarion.  We know one missing primarch was the third discovered, and one was the 19th.  I feel the timing of either would make quite a difference in terms of his effect on the legions, both his own and his brothers.

In addition, there were two bits of inference from the Major Arcana that always intrigued me.

The first:

"The High Priestess is ultimately the one who can communicate an understanding of the highest goals of the Fool to the rest of the system, individually and in ways they can understand"

With the Fool being a reference to the Emperor.

And the second:

"The High Priestess is well placed to teach the Moon how to handle his psychic visions."

With the Moon referring to Konrad Curze.  These two lines always felt like they had some of the strongest implications towards what Icarion would have been able to accomplish, had he still been around.  I'm interested in your thoughts on this.

This is turning into something that I can full appreciate on every level background story, models, painting. You have a good thing going here. Keep up the good work and I am glad you liked my suggestion on the Volta.

The lost legions were created for exactly this reason though, stick at it it's coming along nicely.

I like this project although I don't understand the whole tarot thing.

The idea of it is that each of the Major Arcana cards of the Tarot can be assigned to each of the Primarchs, based not on what people think the Arcana mean, but by their actual interpretations when used as part of a reading. The results are surprisingly accurate. In addition, there are interpretations of how the Arcana interact with one another, again, these interactions fit many of the primarch interactions almost to a T. Under the assumption that the Arcana are assigned correctly, and that their interactions successfully map back to primarch interactions, you can use them to make inference into the characteristics and relationships of the missing primarch.

I'm actually really glad that you guys are interested in the Major Arcana interpretation of the Primarchs. One of the reasons I chose to try and rigidly adhere to the template of Fortune or The High Priestess is that it give this skeleton of credibility to sculpt the history and character around. 

The truth is I'm currently unsure if the High Priestess is truly the best fit for the II Legion that I have created. The High Priestess is understood to be on a Magnus-level of psychic ability but in the form of understanding the warp. In practical terms, I'm having serious trouble with reconciling what that would mean for him and the Legion in Universe. 

This is why i choose to focus the Legions psychic aptitude almost exclusively to precognition and fate scrying. 

However, I'm beginning to wonder if the Fortune Arcana might be a better fit. Fortune is meant to personify Luck and destiny.

This might just be me second guessing myself but because of the daunting nature of creating a lost legion, I would be immensely grateful If you the board could weigh in with your opinions. 

Here is a link back to the Major Arcana-Primarch connection.

Based on the world I've established so far for the Legion, which do you feel is a better fit, Fortune or The High Priestess?

Archived