The Lost and Forgotten: Building the II Legion

Athrawes

I'll add my name to those who aren't keen on the blade. I far preferred the design on the Mk I model and it doesn't really seem like a functional weapon to me with that shape. That said the rest of the model is outstanding and depending on price I'd be very keen to own one. PM sent.

Icarion The Stormborn   (525pts)

WS  7
BS   5
S      6
T     6
W    5
I       9
A       5
Ld     10
Sv      3+

Unit Type:
• Infantry (Character)

Unit Composition:
• 1 (Unique)

Equipment:
• Time-lost Aegis
• Thunderchild
• The Sphere

Special Rules:
• Primarch
• Sire of the Thunder Guardians
• Bulky
• Pysker (Level 4)

• Artful Mind
• Adamantium Will

Time-lost Aegis

The Time-Lost Aegis is a beautiful and lightweight suit of psychically infused admantium and ceramite plates. Inlaid with powerful psychic wards and and myriad of focusing crystals, the Aegis is said to enhance it's bearers psychic foresight to supernatural levels.

The Time-Lost Aegis Confers a 3+ save and a 4+ Invulnerable save. In addition, whenever Icarion attempts to make deny the witch roles, subtract 1 warp charge from the amount required to nullify the psychic power.

Once a game, Icarion may choose to use the Armor’s special ability.

At the end of any assault phase in which Icarion take at least 1 wound, Icarion may choose to refight the combat from the beginning. Resetting wounds and attacks from the beginning of the assault phase.

Note, only the combat in which I carrion takes part is refought and the Second results must be kept (Even if they are worse).

Thunderchild

One of many technological relics said to have been claimed by a Young Icarion during his expeditions to the dangerous and mysterious techno-vaults of Madrigals past Golden age. Thunderchild is potent spear said to have come from the personal armory of the long since vanquished Thunder king. The weapon throbs with untapped potential and a talented psyker can channel that energy into arc lightning that strikes nearby foes.

Weapon                   Range   Str    AP   Type
Thunderchild               -         +2     2      Melee, Force, Master-Crafted, Deflagrate, Haywire
Arc lightning               18”       6       5     Assault 3, Master-Crafted, Deflagrate, Haywire

The Sphere

Perhaps the most esoteric device carried by Icarion.  The Sphere is a relic from an aeons dead civilization believed to have once ruled the galaxy. It's intricate workings have both impressed and confounded the greatest minds of the Martian Mechanicum and, it is whispered that a mercurial sentience lives within The Sphere that may choose to aid it's wielder.

At the beginning of each turn, Icarion must role to determine the benefit granted by The Sphere. These benefits remain in effect until the beginning of your next turn. Icarion always begins the game with one of these effects activated.

D6
1      Nothing Happens (whirring noises and the odd chirp can be heard from within)
2-3   Gain: +2 Attacks
4-5   Receive: 3+ Invulnerable Save
6      Discount the first roll 6 when making a psychic test for the purpose of determining perils of the Warp.

Artful Mind

Icarion may roll for 4 Psychic powers from the Divination or Sanctic psychic Disciplines. Additionally, when generating psychic powers, he may opt to replace any of his psychic powers with the Primaris power of ANY psychic discipline.

++++++++++++

These are the first draft of rules for Icarion. I was shooting for something in the 500 point range. So far I have done 6 "test" combats against Horus. Icarion has won 1 of them and lost 5. I'm not sure whether this means he is reasonably costed or not but I like the fluffiness of his special rules and the way he plays so far.

Let me know what you think, and things you might tweak or add. 

I'm not so much into the gaming aspect myself, but I would give him a 2+. Obviously a primarch's armour will be better than a standard SM, and all of the primarchs except for Angron have a 2+. Maybe an extra 5 point or so, and I don't think it would be overpowered.

I think it's really well balanced however I find I9 a little troubling haha. I mean he'll be striking anyway first and he has divination but I think he should have base I7 but get the chance to roll for +2 I for his sphere. Either way is fine.

What are you doing for sure of the legion? Maybe reroll deflagrate wounds? Haha

I like deflagrate on a close combat weapon, however should the spear be 2 handed?

I took a look at my list and decided I need more plasma for him!!! :P

He is definitely a glass hammer! I think you should give him a personal transport for an additional cost like a storm eagle:

"Harbinger" (Icarion's storm eagle)

Points - 285

F 13 S12 R11 HP3 BS4

Transport capacity: 20

War gear:

- nose mounted twin linked volkite culverin

- 2 twin linked lascannons

- twin linked tempest missile launcher

- electrostatic dischargers**

Special rules:

Psychic pilot (ML1)*

*perfect timing- WC1

Icarion's personal pilot is one of the very best skilled in all of the 2nd legion. As befitting the pilot's skill and psychic precognition while flying, the Harbinger may elect to use it's special rule to represent this. Make a psychic test, if passed, the Harbinger may jink and fire all it's weapons at its normal ballistic skill as if it hadn't jinked. However if this fails, the tides of the warp are misleading and the Harbinger may not make any normal jink saves this turn.

**Electrostatic dischargers

The Harbinger mounts a special lightning gun array beneath its hull that accumulates electrostatic charge from the sky as it flies. The charge may then be used to power the lightning beams as it passes over units.

If the Harbinger moves at zooming speed, it may elect to use it's dischargers over every enemy unit it passes over. Each unit suffers D6 S7 AP4 rending, shred, deflagrate attacks.

Good ideas but there are a couple of things,

So far the highest Initiative on a Primarch is Fulgrim at I8. Maybe I8 would be a better base, but in all my tests due to Icarion's low armor and invul. save and low wound count 5 compared to all other primarchs 6 (save Lorgar), means if he doesn't strike first there is at least a passable chance that he is down for the count. That's really the reason for a base high initiative. What do you think of I8 to bring him to parity with Fulgrim?

I haven't decided what his sire of the Legion will be yet. Most likely reinforcing psychic powers for the rest of his legion. Although that is still up in the air and largely based on how I decide to move forward with the Legion special rule.

I like the deflagrate rule to represent electrical attacks. Basically zapping a unit means the lightning could arc and hit another squad member. Fluffy in my book, and cool to imagine! As for making his spear two handed I suppose I could but why would I need to? He doesn't have two melee weapons so he would never get the +1 attacks anyways.

I really, really, like the idea of a personal storm eagle. Plus calling it Harbinger(of the Storm) add +5 awesome points. It would be awesome to convert one. That's definitely something to think about.

I was going to do Harbinger of the storm, but thought Harbinger sounded cooler.

I wanted to switch out the tempest missile launchers up top for something suitably volkite, but it already had the chin mounted volkite culverins and the electrical dischargers (sort of a kharbydis, but cooler).

As for the psychic power I was thinking about how the precog could be a double edged sword and either super focus the guy or distract him from reality.

I personally love the idea of the Thunderchild having deflagrate, makes for a nice touch. 

I really think he should have 6 Wounds, cause the only one to have that few is Angron, but he makes up for it with his WS 9 and ridiculous amount of overpowered chainax attacks haha I feel that keeping the armor at 3+ is fine, but definitely give him 6 wounds and lower the Initiative to 8, I feel like that would round him out just a bit more considering his lower (relatively) WS and armor.

I've loved your stuff. However one suggestion for the thread not the content. When you do an update, new fluff, new images etc. Could you put the completed stuff on the first post of the thread with Spoiler tags? It saves a new comer like me having to go through 21 pages!

but yes, epic stuff.

Unfortunately with Graduation and work starting I haven't really had time to sit down and take photos of what I have been working on. I should have a sizable update in the next week.

For the moment however, I do have some very WIP color studies from Mr. Swaid for the depiction of my Praetor Raiden. We should be making a few more of these just to get the tone of the image right, as this will be a very complex and busy scene to paint.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/unnamed2-3.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/unnamed1-5.jpg

++++

Also, I've received a lot of encouraging advice and critique on the II Legion's post-Primarch name.

To be completely honest, this whole wonderful project has greatly evolved since i first started it. I really did like the thought behind naming them the Thunder Legion, but Ive started to notice something in the way that I think about them.

I almost never (even in my head) refer to them by that name, I always think of them as the II Legion, which tells me that even to me their current name is not very evocative.

So.

I'm back on the naming market, and this time a lot bit more seriously.

Since I can't seem to figure out how to create a poll, I'll just throw out a few of the names that have seemed most evocative to me (including some from the previous discussion that I liked)

Guardians

Lightning Bearers
Astral Guardians
Thunder Guard
Storm Sentinels

Heathens, I invoke thee.

Well, I'm not a heathen to invoke, but I'll throw in my two cents.

With the emphasis in divination and pskyer abilities, the Astral Guardians fits well in my mind. Astral is a word that has connotations both in space and in the realm of mysticism. While the second half of the name, Guardians, is an obvious reference to their attempts to protect the Imperium from Chaos.

So, I vote Astral Guardians.

Lightning Bearers too closely resembles word bearers, honestly. True we have 2 Legions with Iron in their name as well as (before they got renamed) 2 Legions with Wolves in there as well.

If you want to stick with Bearer as part of the Name, try things that sound more...Menacing? Sure lightning is a frightful thing, but what really gets the jumps out of you during a Storm is the Crash of Thunder! In that sense, I'd propose Thunder Bearers. They who appeared after the initial Flash and Brought down the wrath of the Emperor!

Astral Guardians I see as a strong contender because of how you describe your Legion as being weary of the warp and for the same reasons Simison mentioned.

If you wanted to name them in conjunction with the Thousand Sons ( Iron Hands : Loyalist, Iron Warriors : Traitor, Luna Wolves :Traitor, Space Wolves : Loyalist), you could try Empyrean Sons or something to that effect just throwing Ideas out there.

Hopefully you'll be able to find a name to your liking soon!

If you're looking for a new name, I would go for the Lightning Bearers. It's bad :cuss name, in my opinion, and it gives the Legion history beyond Madrigal. The Unification symbol was a bolt of lightning. One of the greatest position a Thunder Warrior could hold was the Lightning Bearer. Literally, he who bore the symbol of the Emperor, before it became the aquila.

Your Legion seems to take pride in being second. They were not the First Legion, but they were close on their heels. Lightning Bearer connects them with the Unification Wars earlier than any other save the First. The Legion picking up where the Thunder Warriors left off.

Coincidentally, it is the III Legion that usurps them as bearers of the Emperor's sigil, when it becomes the palatine aquila.

It's also an allusion to the fact that, like the Thunder Warriors and Unification Wars, they are destined to be overcome by the inexorable push of history.

I backed Lightning Bearers before, and I do so again.

It really is a very stunning name. Powerful, yet humble. Strong, yet noble.

And bloody well evocative.

I like the astral guardian idea, but i do have a name for u. Storm riders, cause they ride with the storm of the emperor, or even star lords, u know what they say."the star that burns short also burns bright" just my thoughts.

In my opinion, 'Lightning Bearers' actually sound kickass whereas all the others sound dreadfully bland, like elemental school level of naming chapters and yes, I know that sounds awfully disrespectful.

I like your take on the second legion, and that's a real feat considering I normally don't care about DIY at best (especially of something as big as a lost legion).

Been a while since i checked in - man, progress is great! Really like the rules for your Primarch, I haven't played many 30K games, but they look like a good compromise for friendly games, and are very thematic. Kudos.

I agree with Heathens - Lightning Bearers is a good fit, plus in a post-Scouring timeline there arent that many chapters (of the top of my head) that sound similar.

Keep it up.

Just gone through the entire thread and I must say I think what you've done here is absolutely amazing. Having been out of the hobby for a couple of years for several reasons, (mainly lack of funds, moving house three times and the people I used to play against moving away as well) I've been slowly trying to bring myself up to speed, both on here and with 30/40k in general. Perhaps from my love of table top role playing, I'm a great believer of always creating backgrounds for my armies, I always find it extremely rewarding. You sir have blown my mind with the amount of care and attention you've poured into this project and it's given me a great deal of enthusiasm to get started on re-doing my Blood Angels and for that I thank you!

As for name suggestions I think either Lightning Bearers or Astral Guardians. I think they both evoke different aspects off the II Legion as you've created them. Lightning Bearers to me sounds a bit snappier, gives a callback to their exploits during the unification wars and conveys a bit of a threat. Astral Guardians would be a bit more appropriate if you wanted to push the more mystic side of the II Legion, however having said this it strikes me that Icarion wouldn't want either himself or his sons to be associated with mysticism in any shape or form, that way leads to the hoarding of secrets so common with the sons of Magnus. All in all I think that 1000heathens put it best:

I backed Lightning Bearers before, and I do so again.

It really is a very stunning name. Powerful, yet humble. Strong, yet noble.

And bloody well evocative.

I hope to see more of this very soon!

Lord Janos

So I have a few WIP that I am excited to show you.

First, I am undergoing the task of rebasing the entire force as I felt that the bases as they were detracted from the overall look and quality of the force.

Here is an example of the new basing as I have used on (forthcoming) pair of Javelin Speeders.
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-07/47E08F55-FEA1-4182-AE21-AFF357E303FC.jpg

Here is the Sergeant for my Volkite Culverin Heavy Support Squad. i really like how the Greyknight torso with a little modification makes suitable artificer Mk II armor.
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/2014-07/B415C29F-E12C-4C42-8BE7-0A0589E75345.jpg

And here is something that I have been wanting to make for a long time: a Volkite Culverin equipped Volta Terminator. http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-07/F3935C5B-02CC-4DC9-B198-BCAC0144FE9F.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-07/7366D3D3-CD6D-4911-A192-F794E51F60C3.jpg

+++++

Also, it looks like the two winners for new name are Lightning Bearers and Astral Guardians. As for me I will have to give this matter a lot of toying with as  can't quite decide which name I prefer (I really like both)

As always, I'd Love to hear what you guys think about the new models and the names.

Archived