The Lost and Forgotten: Building the II Legion

Athrawes

The new basing scheme's great. Have you considered the occasional patch of flowers to go with the grasses? You can get some great scatter flock that resembles heather etc., and the idea just seems to gel with the springlike nature of the early Crusade and your Legion. A cherry blossom feel might help set off the designs on the armour, like the figure on the artificer armour plate on the new chap.

Both new models are looking good; the heavy emphasis on volkite weaponry really helps sell the idea of the period, and the conversion work is lovely and subtle. Very natural-looking.

Regarding the name, why not use one as the title of a group or elite cadre within the Legion, akin to the Justaerin, Deathwing etc.? I prefer the Lightning Bearers for the Legion name, personally; but you could use the Astral Guardians as some form of unusual psychic offense/defense/research division or similar; perhaps a proto-Librarius? Alternatively, perhaps the Astral Guardians could be an honorific granted to marines across the Legion; a sort of unofficial group that crosses the breadth of the ranks. It might be a nice presaging for the Lodges... A warning that no-one heeded?

If you like Astral Guardians and Lightning Bearers, why not do :

Lightning Bearers, Guardians of the Astros

Or

Astral Guardians, Bearers of Lightning,

Thusly combining both names, with the first part used in conversation but the entirety used formally?

I LOVE that heavy Volta dude. That is a delightful conversion. Also excited to see your javelins.

Personally I would go with Astral Guardians as the legion name, with 'lightning bearer' being an honourific given to the elite warriors of the legion (like Firedrake for my guys). This would seem quite fitting seeing as your lots of your elite guys seem to be packing volkite weapons and (electro)katanas...

A couple of small updates, I had a few fun games last week with Depthcharge12, the II Legion fought with valor bringing home a Tie and a Victory over the I Legion. We tried out the new Tactical objectives from 7th ed and I have to say that I love them. They did a fantastic job of leveling the playing field. In our first Game, the Dark Angels nearly obliterated my army but thanks to luck and the tactical objectives I was well placed to tie up the game.

Here is an update of the Artwork for my Praetor, during the siege of Madrigal. Now that the color tests are over, Mr. Swaid will begin painting the final version. I'm really looking forward to it. (BTW the position of the legs are definitely changing)

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/unnamed1-6.jpg

This is the current status of the first of my Javelins.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/8E4F6C16-DFEB-4499-A9CB-B27DD1F26342.jpg?t=1405199716

And my II Legion force will be receiving some reinforcements.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/IMG_1321.jpg

When the Icarion and the Maelstrom Co Prosperity Sphere seceded from the Imperium in protest to the Emperor's hypocrisy, they did not do so alone. Whole Regiments of Imperial Marines; the army elements raised from within the Sphere joined the II Legion's cause. So to did elements of the Titanicus. 

The entirety of Legio Ventus from Ryza Forge, rose in defense of their Crusade allies. Due to their actions during the siege, the entire Legio's war history was sequestered deep within Ryza's data Vaults never to be know again. 

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/82DADC15-4385-4ABE-9B58-CAA734EA96E4.jpg?t=1405199186

++++

Finally, this is the version of the Psychic Legion rules that I tried out in my games. I would love to get your impression.

Legion Astartes (Lightning Bearers): All units with this rule gain the brotherhood of Psykers (Level 1). Praetors and Librarians may choose to purchase additional mastery levels at the cost of 25pts per level up to 3 levels.

When generating psychic powers, Librarians and Praetors may choose from the Diviniation and Sanctic Deamonology disciplines. All other units may only choose the Divination Primaris power: Precience.

After giving it a good deal of thought I decided that Lightning bearers will set off my imagination and seemed to fit nicely into the lore I have already crafted.

I wish I had Athrawes' imagination and creativity! :)

Glad you've decided on a name, and I love the look of the Javelin in particular. The Warhound colour scheme is looking very unusual and promising, too – the only thing I could ask for is more basic troops!  Really fantastic work; keep it up.

I have to say that i'm a little surprised by how positive the this boards reaction has been to this project!

If I'm being honest, part of me was afraid that this project wouldn't have a good reception because of the stigma or taboo of the Lost Legions,

Thank you for helping me stay excited about this project.

People here aren't a bunch of dicks who scrutinize you for IA. Especially with the amount of effort you put into it.

Hey, sorry, I kind of borrowed these guys for a fic of mine. If you want to get in contact with me send me a message here or on Steam. My steam name is ggman107, my steamtag is Volks. Drop me a line and will talk. I love these guys btw, so boss!

• 2 weeks later...

So work has been eating into my time, and because of this I've had to set aside the models for a short while. I should be able to have some progress to show on the Assault squad and heavy support squad soon. 

But as a little treat, I have a teaser image of how the artwork of Raiden is progressing.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. ( I personally believe he is starting to look worthy of a poster/book cover) I really love how much character he exudes. 

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/Raiden.jpg?t=1406849673

Lost (but not) Forgotten

-Athrawes

Archived