++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

In the words of the Kool-Aid man: “OH YEAH!”

The haulers look great and I love the individidaul touches. Once again you are showing that a simple model can really be used over and over with some sweet conversion work. Any chance you will customize some of the eye lenses and jaw/ mandibles to further differentiate them?

I understand man, it would piss me off too to have my stuff blatantly ripped off. But other than call them out what can you do?

It's pretty brazen to post them on the same forum the original was posted on, though... what I meant by the copyright is that you're using bits from GW to create characters from GW's IP and are originally based on fan art... other than community cred from the likes of us there isn't much you have. And in any case I was serious. You can do better now and with the advances in modelling technology from then to now you could knock it out of the park. So do it.

Or maybe do a challenge, inviting people to build their own interpretations of 1st Claw or their favorite characters from the fluff. That will give you the opportunity to do as DuskRaider suggests and make them anew, better than the first time. 

So I'd say that seeing as "night lords first claw" pops up your group shot before any other models, that a huge fan of the books seeing that as inspiration and sending it off to be commissioned would be the culprit. But you know the watermark is obviously there, so courtesy should have had a reference.

And even then, it gets muddled because Augustus is the owner of the pictures which are essentially being used to advertise for a business. Lots of dilemmas 

And even then, it gets muddled because Augustus is the owner of the pictures which are essentially being used to advertise for a business. Lots of dilemmas 

I don't think there's a single dilemma to be found here, to be honest: In this day and age, it takes about thirty seconds to research where a picture originated, so going the extra mile there is not only good practice, it's really the only practice: I've done it dozens of time for my own blog posts (as I tend to take tons of inspiration from fellow hobbyists), and I am not making a single buck off the hobby, so I think the same amount of care could be expected of someone who actually does. What's more, it actually seems like a bit of a missed opportunity to me: Saying "hey, you know awesome projects like Augustus b'Raass' First Claw? I can make you something just like that as a commission" would actually be really clever marketing, wouldn't it?

That being said, I had a very similar experience with a commission artist whose Daemon-Primarch version of Angron was very clearly inspired by mine (which, in turn, was heavily inspired by a much cooler model by Reg, it must be said), and while the whole thing left me more bemused than anything, I think I would have felt differently had the artist just posted his model without any kind of shout out on a forum I frequent regularly, like the B&C. So yeah, I think you did the right tjing by calling him out on it -- while you were perfectly civil, though, it kinda shows that you were also ticked off ;)

Anyway, on to more important matters: The Daemon Prince:

So glad to see the model completed at last, buddy! He's brilliant! While the green and yellow gradient on the censer is a bit too Masters of the Universe for my taste, that's strictly a matter of personal preference, and in any case, it has been well executed. The skin and armour are absolutely brilliant. If I have one complaint, it's that t maybe takes just a second too long to actually make sense of the head -- either this could be a problem of the light, or it might make sense to consider some kind of touch up to instantly draw the eye towards the head. A red symbol on the forehead, maybe? Possibly not the best option, but the first one I could come up with.

Again, that's merely nitpicking on an otherwise spectacular model, though, buddy: If I keep niggling away about minor stuff like that, that's actually a testament to the level of excellence you routinely achieve with your models. Brilliant stuff! :)

So, a couple of things to note;

- Your Death Guard paint scheme is insanely good, and if I was anywhere near as decent I'd be copying it for my DG.

- I absolutely love the Nurgle Daemon Prince model. It's just so...out there, you know?

- Very unhappy with that dude. His apothecary (it's been a while since I read the books) is 99% identical, and the others, well the one with the long chainsword looks like he has a smaller head. That's the only difference I could readily see. Nice painting, but he should definitely have put a note that the models were inspired by your work.

Thanks, guys, for the support! I've gotten a reply on FB by one of assistants of at Den of Imagination, saying their CEOs (they apparently are so big they have not one, but multiple CEOs!) will be back next Tuesday, so I can expect a reply by then. I'm not sure if I appreciate the five day stall, but I guess I'll have to wait for the big shots. 

Anyway, on to more important things, the Myphitic Blight Hualers! I've started converting them all three, as I don't care for standard guys. I also got a package in the mail with my new GreenStuff World tentacle makers, and they're even better than the resin first generation rollers I got from GreenStuff Industries back in 2012. I went to town on the Haulers with them :)

Here's the first one, the guy with the most tentacle work:

VfHH3Zs.jpg

And some side shots:

p40wK7L.jpg

I hope you like him! I'm finishing the standard guy as we speak - he needs to dry a little more.

Cheers!

Replies:

@ Maarten:  A rematch agsinst your wierd Dark Mechanicum/Eldar hybrids? Yes please! And thanks for the vote of support for my point of view on the DOI matter.:)

@ hushrong: I know right - some simple conversions can make the same miniature look super diffferent. :) And yes, I am going to add a variant eye lense. :tu:

@ DuskRaider: Nothing. But that's exactly what I'm plannign to do. 

@ Brother Chaplain Kage: Eh, maybe. I still need to create Deltrion, Septimus and Octavia!

@  Verux: hahaha go for it!

@ SkimaskMohawk: Thanks, and yeah 

@ DuskRaider: EXTERMINATUS EXTREMIS

@ KrautScientist: once again you use your fabulous word skillz to make an excellent point, for which I thank you! Also, don't be dissing on the Masters of the Universe, dude! THat's exactly what I was gogin for ;)  I agree on the critique Re: the head. I made mistake scultping that tentacle from his belly into his moth - it muddies the visual cues that say 'here's where the head starts'. I might do his vision slit plate in red, like I do with the visors on the marines, though. :)

@ Viridia: He modelled Xarl's pauldrons too high, which makes the head look smaller. He did use the exact same pauldrons and head, though... It's pretty insane how well he's copied the bits and trophies, actually. :D

Man, you churn out models so fast! If I miss some updates, there’s pages to go through!!!

First off, I love what you did with the drones, especially the one with the 3 daemon heads. Awesome!

Second, I’m so happy to see you finish that DP. He looks absolutely amazing, I kept scrolling back and picking out more and more details. And it’s always a relief to finally finish off a model that’s been on hold for ages

Third, those blight haulers are looking top notch as well. For some reason that last hauler, I’m picturing it regurgitating a trail of maggots. Must be the tentacles.

Your DG models are just fantastic. When the ETL is over, and I’m somewhat caught up on my loyalists, I’ll be really hard pressed deciding if I should carry on with my EC warband, or start cracking on my Nurgle dudes. Thank you for that dilemma hahaha!

Multiple CEO's, eh?! Who knew there was such a business to be had in painting wee plastic men. You sure they weren't giving you the old Chief Wiggum routine, buddy? :wink:

@ KrautScientist: once again you use your fabulous word skillz to make an excellent point, for which I thank you! Also, don't be dissing on the Masters of the Universe, dude! THat's exactly what I was gogin for :wink:  I agree on the critique Re: the head. I made mistake scultping that tentacle from his belly into his moth - it muddies the visual cues that say 'here's where the head starts'. I might do his vision slit plate in red, like I do with the visors on the marines, though. :smile.:

Oh, I used to love Masters of the Universe and, in my heart of hearts, still do -- it's just not what I'd want for my Nurglite Daemon Prince. But that's quite okay, it takes all sorts to make a world! As for the head, I actually rather like the tentacle/cable running into the mouth, and I'd say it's rather a combination of the way the head is facing and the fact that the helmet lacks a lot of what immediately tells you "FACE!". That being said, I do think some red markings or a stripe running down the centre of the forehead, or a tiny fly icon in red should do the trick.

Great work on the Blighthaulers so far! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

Cheers, guys! Here's the second one and third guys!

I changed the vison slit or this one, as well as cutting off the smoke stacks and replacing them with horns made from sprue!
0pygjve.jpg

2rv2lKX.jpg

The third on features some more tentacles and a Death Guard symbol. Love this guy!

bucuEqM.jpg

Iab5jA0.jpg

And of course a squad Pic:
iEXeGBL.jpg

I hope you like!

Now I'm off to London, to be a +1 for the boyfriend of my GF's BFF and see the prepremière for Cast&Crew of SOLO (he's a visual effects manager for Disney).

WOOOOOO

Replies:
@ Greenz: Haha no problem, buddy!

@ KrautScientist: It's hard not to laugh. I'll do some red on his face when I get back.

@ DuskRaider: I know right? Those tentacle rollers are the business!

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

@ Maarten:  A rematch against your weird Dark Mechanicum/Eldar hybrids? Yes please! And thanks for the vote of support for my point of view on the DOI matter.:smile.:

Hmmmmm I had started a new army for 8th ed but I'll happily indulge you, I love my weirdoes, time to figure out the new codex. And you're welcome.

I must have misread your post originally. If some :censored: is straight up copying you and trying to make a buck, that is BS. I always try to acknowledge my hobby influences here: Thamier, Augustus, Kraut, (amongst many others) were all big motivators after a 10 year hiatus in grad school. I appreciate your dedication (and productivity!). That being said.. I really like the small changes to the blight haulers. I'm jealous though... they've been out of stock in North America since they launched!!!!

Look forward to seeing the finished painted ones in 2 hours. :wink:

Whoever said these were 'easy to build' obviously hasn't seen these bad boys.

You dedication to making them all different is impressive, especially repairing all the pock marks so that not one piece of damage is repeated.

The new tentacle maker is working out great. Great designs replacing the Nurgle symbol, the brains are an amazing idea and that box of skulls is proving very versatile.

The visor is a great detail. Nailed it. I'd been looking at the old artwork for the orignal blight drone (and prototype sketches). Kept thinking about the one with three eye lenses. Looking at the model close up like this though there is a lot of detail around those lenses so maybe it's a bit too ambitious.

P.s. re copycat. Your in the right and did the right thing. Well done.

Your Death Guard is looking quite good, and the work you´ve done on the drones to make each of them unique is amazing, but what has really taken my breath is seeing your nurgle daemon prince finished, what a beast! The "wrecking ball" was a really inspired idea, and the final result has been spectacular, can´t wait to see this army put together!

Oh wow that daemon prince looks stunning, was cool before but the paint job brought it to a whole new level! Those blight haulers look so cool as well, love how customized you've gotten them to look. The first one with the the bursting effect is definitely my favorite! Did you heat up the plastic to bend it outwards or is it just bent really carefully without heat? Looking forward to seeing more!

YOU DISGUST ME!!!!!

These death guard are too damn good!!!

Almost made me back out of the etl in shame.....

...ah well at least I get to look at your stuff and drool a bit when my own is frustrating me :lol: