++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

@ Gederas: Power Armour Burnout.....! Haha well I certainly do not know how that feels. The necromunda dudes and dudettes I did last year where the first non-space marine army I did in over 20 years haha! I just cannot stop building space marines. But I get it if all your opponents also have power armour. Also, about what you're saying about quality over quantity: in all honesty: I must constantly force myself not to GO FASTA on these. It's just in my nature to speedpaint.

It's only because I've run into an issue of having far, far more Marines than I can paint in a reasonable amount of time. For unpainted models I have close to a 40k-sized company of Firstborn for my Dark Angels, not counting the Primaris for them. And my Emperor's Spears army (mostly Primaris currently). And my Night Lords (thankfully that's the smallest army in terms of unpainted models, but any motivation to paint them is lost because of the sheer disparity between 2W Marines and non-updated ones).

But yeah, it's mainly because all my opponents are Marines, outside of Necrons and Dark Eldar (and Genestealer Cult, but those don't feel like a good force to fight)

Amazing work all around. I gotta say I'm in love with the World eaters here in the end. The white is white without being pasty or fake looking and the blues of the chapter and the red blood just stand out so much. I think its such a well done thing it allows all of the other work you've done to show through more than if it was a loud color like the current red. Excellent green stuff work too. I'm getting back in and an utter amateur at it but how simple you make a lot of this look (sure its not, lol) is giving me inspiration to use it for more than the gap filling I'm doing now.

Good luck in the future, excellent work again.

Edited by Commisar Necros

Yeah baby! So, with that Venomcrawler out of the way, I can start building some infantry again. I'll be working on a squad of Havocs now. And I hear you thikning - "but Augustus, didn't you berate Bjorn Firewalker a couple months back for even suggesting giving a sidearm to a World Eater? And now you're going to do a whole squad of World Eaters armed with heavy weapons - long ranged by their very nature? Isn't that super hypocritical of you?" And yes, absolutely you would be completely right! I'm a total hypocrite! However I never claimed not to be one. :tongue.: Plus, it has recently come to my attention that World Eaters - even berzerkers - do indeed sometimes use ranged weaponry to spill blood in Khorne's name. In fact, I read the Talon of Horus novel back in September of 2020! So.... even at the time of my berating of Bjorn Firewalker was I aware that it was completely OK for followers of Khorne to use ranged weaponry! But again, I never said I wan't a hypocrite! :biggrin.: Anyway, I remembered Lheorvine Ukris, the World Eater character with his Heavy Bolter in the Talon of Horus novel, and his perfect rendition (twice) by our good buddy Kraut Scientist (we miss you dude! Stop making video games and come back to us to share your awesome plastic miniature creations!). So I did some research about him and found out that even back in Rogue Trader there are fluff exerpts that tell of so-called 'Teeth of Khorne' squads of Chaos Space Marines devoted to Khorne that use long ranged weaponry to spill blood in Khorne's name. THe only restriction begnit hat they only used projectile weapons, as energy weapons do not spill blood! How cool is that?

Also, the Reaper Chain Cannon is not only an awesome weapon to see on the new Chaos Space Marine Havoc miniatures, it is also AWESOME in game with it dasing out 8 (THE NUMBER OF KHORNE!!!) strength 5, AP-1 shots that do a dissapointing one damage... but still! Eight shots! So I had to get a squad of them in my army.

Long story short - I build me some havocs.

Behold!

Here's the first guy. His helmet is of course a FW HH MkII World Eater helmet. The pauldrons both come wrom the FW Khorne Berzerker upgrade pack. He uses the only 'real' chaincannon in the Havoc Sprue. Why they included two of every single heavy weapon option bar this one is beyond me, especially because nine out of ten people are going for thisoption first. I guess it is to force people to buy four packs of havocs? z3Gnual.jpg

There's no way I was going to do that, so I searched eBay and lo and behold there are tons of 3D options to turn the other projectile heavy weapons in the kit into Chain Cannons. I picked the one I liked the most, which are designed to fit Heavy Bolters. And went with it! This guy has a classic plastic '98 Khorne Berzerker helmet which I saved from my bits box. His left Pauldron is a FW World Eater MkIII shoulder pad. 
DkeuwGI.jpg       
Next up is the Champion! I first wanted to give this guy a chainaxe, to tie him in with the Khornate World Eater theme of the army. But then I thought against it. He's the leader of a squad armed with Dakka Dakka. He should have something that goes Dakka as well. He's actually the most involved conversino of the of five, as I changed his Servo Arm to go on the right side of the pack, added a clawed mechadendrite made from a greenstuff tenacle with a wire inside to make it posable with a plasticard washer and two Lighting Claw fingers at the end. He also has the bare head from the FW Khorne Berzerker upgrade pack, as well as a left pauldron frmo that same kit. The bolter comes from the new CSM kit. 

yPSv1Gv.jpg

Next up is another Heavy Bolter-turned-chaincannon. Fairly simple really. For the head I used a 3d Printed design that is frankly incredible, made by a 3D artist I've admired for a while, who'se put these beauties up on Etsy. You could order them, but after a S&D from GW's he just sells the STL files. I don't own a 3D printer, but I managed to grab one set before they where pulled from Etsy. 

Hidden Content

jDrN8P6.png

They're basically the FW Berzerker heads but with Blood Warriors crests. In any case, the Havoc below has a FW MkIII World Eater pauldron and that's pretty much it.

Sd8CyL8.jpg

And last but not least there's this guy. As it turns out, the 3D printed barrel doesn't just fit Heavy Bolters, but they can be used on Autocannons just as well. Isn't that just perfect?! This guy's helmet is from the FW Khorne Berzerkers upgrade set and his left pauldron is a FW MkIII World Eater shoulder pad.
YD7WolU.jpg

Well that's it. That's all I have for now. I hope it wasn't too dissapointing. I will see you in the next post.

Cheers.

Replies:

@ Majkhel: Well, I did say I had a bit of a progress bag log... I cheated and pretended I hadn't already finished it when I made that post with the WIP pics of it in it. :wink: If you don't tell anyone, I will keep it silent too, shhhhh! And oh yeah man! Dude, that War Hounds Contemptor of Kizz  is looking sa-hexyyyyyyy!

@ Doghouse: Well I already have both the MkII standing and running poses they make adn the detail is both insane AND crisp as can be. Do go check them out. Also, he's doing legion specific sculpts now. Already made five WE MkII standing pose bodies. Insane!

@ Gederas: Well, you could always sell them I guess? I know in my 'About Me' page I say 'never sell your models, kids', ut I have broken that rule three times now and even though there's always a tinge of regret, I can tell you that making other people happy, your backlog smaller, your shelves empty, and your back account swole very much outweighs that. Especially now that I know I am very much able to churn out an army of miniatrues in a relatively short time, I have no qualms anymore. And it feels pretty cathartic, to be honest!

@ Mechanist: Thank you! Yeah man Khorne Bedeckers are the best unit. :wink:

@ deathspectersgt7: Pop Goes the Monkey is pretty awesome - if somewhat expensive. But they ship SUPER fast, deliver crisply detailed bits, and have great service. I will check out Red Warden miniatures.

@ BadgersinHills: Merci bien! Cheers, buddy, I appreciate it :smile.:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

'Teets of Khorne'

tenor.gif

Humorous typos aside, GREAT KHORNE'S BRASS NACKERS those Teeth* are brutally beautiful! I always love the mix of the new and classic bitz you use for your conversions. My favorite out of the squad definitely has to be the Champion, that bare FW Zerker head with the toothed maw in the rebreather is such a gorgeous piece and gives such character to the model, combine that with that excellently converted servo-arm and the "Rambo hip fire" pose of the bolter and it makes such an eye-catching model. :thumbsup:

Edited by Nomus Sardauk

Hey guys,

I decided to not use the 3D printed 3rd party helmet for the fourth Havoc - and instead I wanted to see if I could create a new, crested Khornate helmet using a new CSM helmet and the crest of an AoS Blood Warrior. And it worked out pretty well!

EpNUR91.jpg

What do you think?

Cheers

Replies:

@ Nomus Sardauk: HAHAHAHAHA that's such a crazy Type-O - the H and S aren't even near each other on the qwerty keyboard. Must be a freudian slip or something. I normally won my type-o's and mistakes but I'll make an exception for this one and editted it. Leave your comment though! :D Thanks for the kind words on the Champion, buddy, I appreciate it. BTW have you commented on this thread before? I don't recall you have but it might be that it's been a while. You certainly have enough posts to indicate that you've been around this board for a while. In any case: If you haven't -welcome to the thread! If you have, I apologize for forgetting about you! 

@ BadgersinHills: Thanks, my buddy!

@Augustus, our secret then :thumbsup: 

Very nice kitbashes! I agree that the champion definitely stands out with his bare brutal helmet. And Rambo-pose is definitely very, very suitable.
I also like the way you constructed their bases making them interesting but not over-cluttered.

@ Mechanist: Thank you! Yeah man Khorne Bedeckers are the best unit. :wink:

Ah ha, be carful in your gentle mocking just in case it bights you on the teets.

Seriously though you're back and on form, the Havocs are looking brutal and dangerous. The helmet conversion is brilliant, to have a photo that zoomed in on such a small part just amplifies any mismatch of imperfect fitting yet you've got such a snug fit it's spot on.

@ Nomus Sardauk: HAHAHAHAHA that's such a crazy Type-O - the H and S aren't even near each other on the qwerty keyboard. Must be a freudian slip or something. I normally won my type-o's and mistakes but I'll make an exception for this one and editted it. Leave your comment though! :biggrin.: Thanks for the kind words on the Champion, buddy, I appreciate it. BTW have you commented on this thread before? I don't recall you have but it might be that it's been a while. You certainly have enough posts to indicate that you've been around this board for a while. In any case: If you haven't -welcome to the thread! If you have, I apologize for forgetting about you!

You're welcome brother, glad my tomfoolery could give you a chuckle. :happy.: And yes, I have posted here before though I have been absent for a quite a while, plus I went by SanguiniusReborn way back then. That was around the time when you were doing your Night Lords and Imperial Fists, perhaps you still remember old Erhard Zeikfried, Sergeant of IXth Devastator? Or Brother Rüdiger Hoss of VIIth Bike Squad? :wink:

Edited by Nomus Sardauk

Yeah, so I went on a bit of a building spree today. As I've written here on the previous page, I have three Venomcrawlers in the list I'm building but do not want copies of the same miniature in the army (a principle I am and have always been super, super strict about) so I need to convert at least two Venomcrawlers, which are monopose minis. The second one was a succes and I've been turning ideas around in my head about the third one for almost two months. I already settled on a kitbash/conversion weeks ago, but have waited building the damn thing because I want to keep the build-paint-build planning quite strict to avoid burnout. Too much finished but unpainted miniatures gives me paint burnout, so I reward myself for finishing a paint job by allowing myself to build the next thing. But man, I just didn't get my building fix with just five Havocs, plus I really wanted to get the idea for the conversion out of my head. So I build the Venomcrawler. 

It's quite an involved kitbash actually. 
1. swapped the hind and middle legs of the venomcrawler out for the front and middle legs, respectively of the Discolord's Helstalker. They're the exact same size and design, if you haven't already noticed it. I searched online and was surprised to not find a single picture of other people having done this.
2. removed the mouthed chaos stars on the body and replaced them with pressmolded World Eater icons of the OOP Chaos World Eater Rhino hatches.
3. added pressmolds of shield with Khornate runes on them to the Eviscerating Claws
4. removed the spikes on teh body's trophy rack and replaced them with a trophy rack from the Chaos Vehicle Sprue
5. removed the head and replaced by a de-horned Bloodthirster head (and added some smaller horns)
6. removed the front trophy rack altogehter and replaced by a Juggernaut head shield/crest thingy, including a spiky honr/crest-like thing.
7. replaced the Soulflayer Tendrils with Drukhari Talos Mechadrendrites
8. The base also is quite the ensemble. It features a dead MkIII marine, plus empty shells from the Venomcrawlers Excruciator Cannons. Pew pew!

Anyway, here's pictures.
q4qykyi.jpg

Boom baby!

A couple of you have noted my increased activity here and I'm glad that you did, but there's a reason for that and it's that I have more time behind a screen because my health isn't doing too well. *insert sad violin music* I've had two non-covid pneumonia's this year (one viral, one bacterial) which, coupled with a year of decreased activity due to working from home (with what the pandemic and all) pretty much led to my old back injury, a spinal hernia/slipped disc return - and with a goddamn vengeance. It's worse than ever. I was already having neural pains in my leg for a couple weeks, but then last week my leg suddenly just quit on me and and I fell down the stairs, which exacerbated the pain. Last Wednesday I was in so much pain, I called emergency services and I got picked up by an ambulance and was in the hospital for two days. (that ambulance ride was awesome though - I got a huge shot of Morfine and Ketamine - best trip of my live. Literally adn drug-erally). They gave me a neural block so my leg hasn't worked since and I've been on crutches, and, more importantly, Oxydon (a morfine) and a couple of other neural painkillers since Friday last week and will be for at least four more. I've tried to paint but it's super slow going as my hands tremble because of the drugs. The upside is I have a ton of time to reflect and do some of the things I like but don't have time to do - like hobbying and posting hobby stuff here and on instagram. Oh and video games! I'm hardcore into Assassin's Creed! I already finished Black Flag and am now 85% of the way into Syndicate. Awesome games. 

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this here. 

Take care, stay safe, and have a great day!

Cheers

Replies:

@ Majkhel: Cheers, buddy! Yeah man, I have come to like doing bases again! I kinda did the bare minium for them for a couple years, with the Imperial Fists, Death Guard, and Necromunda miniatures. But I thought I'd try and make an effort again, and am enjoying it a lot! Thanks for noticing :)

@ Mechanist: Hahaha that was deserved! ;) And thanks for saying that about the helmet and photo. :)

@ Metzombie: Hey buddy! I haven;'t seen you post here before so first off: welcome to my thread! Please check it out - there's an index in the first post that will help you navigate it. It's quite long now, so I hope that helps you enjoy it more. 

@ Nomus Sardauk: of course I remember the names of those Imperial Fists miniatures, but when you said SanguiniusReborn I immediately knew who you where of course! The jester, the hokester, the guy who always made me laugh! Hurray! Welcome back then, buddy! Great to hear from you. But man, why change the name? You know people won't recognize you then, do you? This is why I've stuck with the same name, avatar (and thread) for the last eight years. :D

@ Nomus Sardauk: of course I remember the names of those Imperial Fists miniatures, but when you said SanguiniusReborn I immediately knew who you where of course! The jester, the hokester, the guy who always made me laugh! Hurray! Welcome back then, buddy! Great to hear from you. But man, why change the name? You know people won't recognize you then, do you? This is why I've stuck with the same name, avatar (and thread) for the last eight years. :biggrin.:

Thanks! It's good to be back.:happy.: I'm sorry to hear you've been having such a rough time of it though brother, hope your condition starts to improve soon. :sad.: As to why I changed the name, well I've been heavily involved in a Alt Heresy project (The Broken Throne AU, over in the Special Projects section) for the past several years and since I haven't actually touched anything to do with Blood Angels in a long, long time I felt like representing my Alt Heresy creation a bit more by using the name of my DIY Primarch instead, and as for being recognized I did leave a note acknowledging my old title in my signature, though I admit it is rather easy to miss... :sweat:

EDIT: Also! I almost forget to mention how much I love, love, love those gorgeous Zerkers you finished recently! As I said before, your kitbash-fu is unrivaled. I particularly adore those kick-ass Chain-Khopeshes, which despite their usual association with the Witches of Tzeentch, are very appropriate for the chosen of Khorne given it's origin as a hybrid design between an axe and sword. I think my favourite members of the squads are the two Champions Mr Fist and the mutated Lord Two-Shanks, as well as the standard Zerker with the Khopesh, Axe nd the classic T-visor helm, but Blood God knows they're all so characterful and dynamic. :biggrin.:

Edited by Nomus Sardauk

Ooooh, so sorry to hear about your health issues! I also hope you will recover soon. I can't talk too much about the need to do proper exercises to strgthen the muscles that will take off some of the weight off your spine... so I won't :P Especially since it's not for now but rather the future.

Anyway, excellent feel of movement on that last crawler you have achieved!
Very nice tech-heresy in other parts too ;) I like that the head is more animalistic now.

Good on you to grab the silver lining by getting some 40k and work done still. Awesome job. Great way to break up a mono-pose unit, and amazing kit-bashing on the World Eaters. Shows that even without much green stuff work you can vary your units with planing and deft exacto work.

Thanks, everyone. 

The first post on this page of this thread features a hidden picture by a 3D artist, of extremely cool Khorne Berzerker helmets. This artist makes a lot of stuff that's fantastic and just passes the GW IP police checkup, but these helmets didn't. They got taken down from Etsy because of IP violations. I can imagine why - they're basically the Forge World Khorne Berzerker headfs with the crests replaced by the exact design of the Blood Warrior helmet crests. But my god are they cool. So I had to have them. For some reason, the artist was still allowed to sell the STL files of the design, along with a Khorne pauldron design. SO I bought them.

If you don't know what I am talking about - his instagram account is corvinius_redwardenminiatures and these are the helmets and pauldrons. 

Hidden Content

KCToOzQ.jpg

In any case, I dn't have a 3D printer but my buddy does. So I asked him to print a buttload of these for me. Initially he asked a for 20 euros for it but then he asked if I wanted to paint some of his miniatures. I was a bit reluctant at first but then I saw that among his unpainted backlog was the seven Chaos Space Marines from Dark Vengeance. Now, I have these miniatures myself, but me being me, I've cut them up and used them in conversions. So I jumped at the chance to paint these in their original form.

Also, I have been lamenting going for the pre-heresy scheme for my World Eaters lately, because I'd love an added contingent from another Legion to get access to Psychic and non-khorne related shenanigans (Endless Cacophany on Havocs or Rapier Batteries, for example...). Word Bearers are perfect for this - and their red scheme would look really well next to the classic Red'n'Brass khorne colour scheme. But I didn't so now I need to find a colour scheme for Word Bearers that could go together well with my World Eaters. So I decided that these seven miniatures would be the tester for that. 

Here's how I got them:
tdbhOps.jpg

Ouch. First up, I needed to rebase them. The picture above showd them just after I cut them off their 25mm bases. I wanted the characters to stand on 40mm bases and the Chosen on 32mm bases. So I made some. 
3fGu5yC.jpg

The recipe for this is:
-superglue cork to the base. Use filler to bled the cork to the edge of the bases.
-push some plastic skulls from the citadel skull kit in the filler
-sprinkle with sand and tiny slate.
-three layers of watered-down wood glue to seal the cork and the sand.
-primer with light primer

-base coat Zandri dust

-drybrush Bleached Bone
-was with Agrax Earthshade
-varnish with 1:1 matt and satin varnish

-paint the rim with Gorthor Brown
-add tuft
-done

So after three paint sessions that together amount to 9.5 hours of speedpainting, here's the final result:

vu3zZ5J.jpg

h0RlIEd.jpg

PeBG2nw.jpg

VYu9e29.jpgNZnrc3t.jpg

b9UifUD.jpg

WcMdp99.jpg

yIUsxLj.jpg

So there! I hope you like them. Let me know what you think, please. I appreciate your comments.

Cheers!

Replies:

@ Kizzdougs: Thank you! I can't wait to show the community here what they have come to look like after painting them. :smile.:

@ BadersinHills: Cheers! But which helmet helm are you talking about?

@ Nomus Sardauk / SanguniusReborn: Eh, I haven't done any Night Lords (infantry) in literally six years, and my Avatar is still a Night Lord. Once you choose a name and avatar, you must stuick to it! :wink: Thanks for the kind words on my Kitbash-Fu - I like that word! I also agree about the Kopesh - it fits the world eaters so well!

@ Majkhel: Thank man. Yeah it sucks. I'm doing exercises but can't really do much atm as the pain is killing me OR I'm to groggy to do them from the painkiller medicine. 

@ Commisar Necros: Thank mate! Yeah kitbshing really is the way to go. Especially nowadays with the trend towards limited posability of kits (designed to thwart 3rd party scalpers). Some people hate this trend but I really enjoy the challenge. I've kitbashed 55 different Plague Marines with three kits of DI PM models and two PM kits from the store. 

@ NomadPainting: Haha welcome back, buddy. Yeah this thread grew just a little since that time....

@ BCK: Thanks bud! It's good to see you're still active here too, despite the draw of Instagram...

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

@ BCK: Thanks bud! It's good to see you're still active here too, despite the draw of Instagram...

I1eVnNQ.gif

Man, I'm old. Anonymous likes with almost no comments or interaction isn't what I crave and I use Instagram a lot more to find new sources of inspiration (and envy, let's be honest) than to ring up a meaningless tally of likes for myself. B&C is a community and a damn good one. Maybe the best 40k one on the web in my surely biased opinion, and while it's not perfect, it's been my online 40k home for a long time. :smile.:

Also, getting to paint some figures you like for 3d printed bits? Nicely done!