Psychopomps (photos before farewell!)

Kierdale

Ok, I'll borrow your lash we gave you on leaving your position. You've still got it right? :tongue.:

First drawer of my bedside table.

No before/after photos today (expect them Sunday or Monday night) as my son's gone to bed early...which means he'll be up early tomorrow...which mean I need to get to bed early!

Some progress shots of the bikers quickly snapped at work.

Still do to:

wheels.

Silver trim (inc.bolter casings. Will redo Pink/Green biker's bolt pistol silver rather than purple).

Pink/Green biker's sheathed knife handle.

Chaos Octed on bikes.

Skulls on bikes.

Ends of whips.

Exhaust staining.

Decals (I've got something special planned for their right shoulders).

Warband iconography (for left shoulders).

I think that's it.

gallery_63428_9407_48992.jpggallery_63428_9407_33244.jpg

gallery_63428_9407_8543.jpg

gallery_63428_9407_16204.jpg

I think the green camo came out far better (dark green stripes with black shading). I think the scheme I tried before was -aside from bad colour choice- too sparse.

gallery_63428_9407_38760.jpg

med_gallery_63428_9407_36926.jpg

med_gallery_63428_9407_65748.jpg

And GW tells me my yellow and orange Edge Paints have arrived. Perfect for when I get the next two members of the squad (one more `standard` biker in pink/orange, one champion in pink/yellow. Sergeant Battenburg). There'll be a sixth biker eventually: the Lord. I'm thinking about doing his bike with two quarters pink, one purple and one blue, and having checks of both colours at the transitions.

Dive in, Bung, dive in!

And thanks, TJWyrm and Forte (plus whoever the popcorn guzzler is).

Okay, some before-glaze and after-glaze shots, as requested by WarriorFish (kinda).

I used a 50/50 mix of Carroburg Crimson and Lahmian Medium. First applied as a glaze, then added heavier to crevices as a shade.

Cue some brutal closeups.

`Before` shots are on the left. `After` on the right, or under.

gallery_63428_9407_46453.jpg

gallery_63428_9407_21034.jpg

Can't see a whole lot in the group shot, so I took some closer up photos. You should be able to make out the highlights against the Fulgrim Pink here (firstly about a 50/50 White Scar/Fulgrim highlight, and in some places a second of pure White Scar).

gallery_63428_9407_28617.jpggallery_63428_9407_4932.jpg

gallery_63428_9407_51257.jpggallery_63428_9407_49260.jpg

gallery_63428_9407_29080.jpggallery_63428_9407_2359.jpg

As you can see on this last one there's a nasty streak down the rear of his left calf armour, and pooling on the inside of his right. Didn't notice until after I took the photos. These look like fine spots for some freehand to me...

I think the glaze does a reasonable job. Gives some depth, gets rid of chalkiness a bit, and makes the pink look a little like distressed skin.

Thanks a lot for this Kier, timely too as I finally have my hands on my snap fit box! :biggrin.: I'll be dedicating some time to them over my Christmas holiday and be using this for reference :thumbsup:

Fantastic work on the bikers, amazing detail I'd be happy to capture even a fraction of for my Marines! :ohmy.: Never mind blinding anyone, opponents will be distracted by how great they look... and possibly a craving for refreshers :laugh.: The green looks excellent, like it's almost 3D with the darker bits being excavated from the bike and the whip Marine's plate leg looks great.

Maybe I should stop visiting this topic so I don't end up with disappointment after my own attempts... :tongue.:

Indeed.

Less haste, more layers (as I had done with the pink) too.

Looking at the glazing and shading now this morning there are a few panels I'm unhappy with and will be repainting then reglazing and shading.

All a learning process :), so I'll be able to do the second squad better.

Looks good! That is quite the pink you have achieved and I agree with what forte says. I sometimes have too much wash on my brush and overdo it myself on minis.

I also love the biker with the green camo. Whenever you roll the die for him please scream "DR. ROCKSO", please!

I didn't know of this `Rockso` until you mentioned his name (then I did a little Googling). I don't think anyone would recognise it over here :biggrin.:

Some progress from painting at work (though with only about five weeks left, I'm beginning to get worried!):

Biker screens pre-gloss varnish.

First one: maneuvering toward a target blip.

gallery_63428_9407_1095.jpg

Second one: reading incoming orders.

gallery_63428_9407_34886.jpg

Third one:...playing Pong.

gallery_63428_9407_15110.jpg

And post-gloss:

med_gallery_63428_9407_69225.jpg

Still to do: repaint heat stains on exhaust pipes. Some soot staining on the mesh-like part of the exhausts. Silver trim to finish off and shade. Sheathed knife on pink/green bike. Chaos icons. Skulls....and the riders.

Meanwhile at home I'm painting noise marines. One squad is about 10% done, the second 40% done, with one member 90% done:

Pardon the terrible quick shots

med_gallery_63428_9407_54857.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_68548.jpg

Should have the bikers completed next week!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, WarriorFish and IP.

The three bikers are at long last done...but for decals.

I will hopefully be applying those tomorrow and will also take and post photos.

Then just the small matter of ten noise marines to finish off in less than a month! :(

Edit: good news is that three boxes of reinforcements now sit under the tree, and I bought a box of Dire Avengers trophies, victims and basing materials.

And they're done!

The first one's not a good photo, but is the only one of the three together.

No bases yet as likely I'll be basing a large proportion of the army when I have the Armies On Parade board designed.

gallery_63428_9407_3853.jpg

Using (cut down) decals from Dark Elf Witches, I gave the squad (and will give future members) this marking. `The Black Stallions`.

gallery_63428_9407_62963.jpg

gallery_63428_9407_40878.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_117069.jpg

med_gallery_63428_9407_20246.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_88376.jpg

med_gallery_63428_9407_40286.jpggallery_63428_9407_45938.jpg

I just realised that none of the angles show it (perhaps for the best) but the last rider does in fact have a boob, with a long chain piercing ending in a blade. Ouch.

And work's coming along alright on the NMs :smile.:

Great use of the DE transfers, I will have to see what my vast transfer collection has and if I can bodge together a nice badge. The bikers look great, some more angles would be good to show them off but until they're based they're not technically finished ;)

Thanks.

I'll slap some Goblin Green on the bases and balance the bikers atop them if you really want ;)

Merry Christmas!

Care of my family, the forces of the Psychopomps are now bolstered by...

I. Three more Chaos bikers (who I'll be putting together as the start of a second squad. Two with plasma guns, perhaps).

II. One Chaos rhino. This I am very much looking forward to getting started on!

III. One Chaos Space Marine squad. I'll be making half as a BP/CCW, doom siren close combat squad (to go in the rhino) and the other half...either a third blast master squad...or get the FW autocannons and do some Havocs.

But I must get my current NM squads completed by the 15th!

Your bikers are damn awesome Kierdale. You are truly blessed with your freehand - the Dark Prince has clearly marked you for success, which means the Inquisition are probably planning a visit soon :tongue.:

I have faith that you'll complete your vow - determination is key and you clearly have plenty of it. Now get back to work, Slaanesh calls for more!

Thank you!
I'm itching to get started on my new kits (I also bought a `loyalist` SM biker and a Scout biker yesterday for converting the two into more Chaos bikers. The Scout bike kit has so many bitz [ammo, grenades, kitbags, etc.] that the standard biker kits are put to shame), but have managed to resist so far.

Progress on the first NM squad. Nearing completion.
med_gallery_63428_9407_25528.jpg

The leftmost NM was supposed to have a blue bolter and the second-from-the-left NM was supposed to have a green one but it seems I mixed them up on my desk. I think I'll leave it as it is rather than repaint (I can't simply exchange the bolters as the green bolter has a knife fixed under it and the leftmost NM's arms are set to hold it).

I'll give you close ups once the squad is completed.

The second squad's pink areas are done (thought without decoration). I started doing the other areas in silver but a few days ago saw (while out shopping) some deep purple cloth with light blue patterns on it and got inspired. The squad will have purple as their secondary colour (and blue, green, orange, yellow, etc. decoration on the purple).

Hopefully I'll have photos to show soon.

Your pink is disgustingly good looking.

I love how the blue, green, lavender and pink together on those marines puts me in the mind of belligerent cotton candy.

Good job!