Psychopomps (photos before farewell!)

Kierdale

Thanks for the comments! :smile.:

I had a very good holiday (back to work tomorrow :sad.: ) and that meant I didn't get much modelling done. Which means I'm not going to be able to complete my CoC vow on time. I'd rather continue at a slow pace and do a good job than rush things (which I'd really need to do if I wanted to meet the deadline).

So call me an oathbreaker :tongue.:

Earlier in the holiday I experimented with someOyumaru casting with my IG minis and tried the same for my Psychopomps.

Oyumaru is a rubberish brick which, when put into hot water ("oyu" in Japanese) softens. I heard it can take detail well. Once it hardens (which it quickly does) you can push GS into the mould. Voila.

The Hellstriders of Slaanesh have some very nice detail on their torsos (buckles, jewelry, etc.) and shields so I took some moulds and made some GS pieces. The first ones came out alright if a bit thick (need to sand them down before cutting them out next time).

Along with adding some of these pieces to the Noise Marine squads I want to add other detail, hence I'm not bothered about the CoC deadline anymore.

Will have photos to show soon.

What were the CoC vows as I seem to have missed that? Always better to do a proper job rather than rush, as the competition is brief but the models forever!

Very true.

My Call of Chaos vow was to complete the three bikers and two squads each of five noise marines by the 15th of February.

I got a lot more work done on one squad of NM this week and should have them finished tonight or tomorrow, but the other squad are far from done.

With Big Guns now started (and dedicated to me? I'm honoured!) I have another reason for discarding my CoC oath. Got to get that Russ done.

I'll be working on the tank at the office, finishing the first squad of NM at home and then doing a spawn. The second squad of NM I want to take my time on.

Progress was made and that's the main thing, not like you sat on your hands instead! Maybe I will be in a position to take part for the next CoC? The Big Guns challenge is really important, so I understand that other things pale into insignificance in comparison... :laugh.: Since it was both named and the medal minted under your inspiration it seemed only fitting as your last contribution before retirement :smile.: I've been too busy so I'm playing catch up with my tank :sad.: I really want to get it done so I can get back to my second tester model!

So maybe I might need some Psychopomp updates soon to help motivate me? That or some oyumaru tips :wink:

Thanks, WarriorFish and Lagrath.

If you should ever find yourself in Tokyo, with your army, shoot me a PM :wink:

I got my first squad of Noise Marines done at last.

Basing will come later (might do them on the newer, larger bases).

med_gallery_63428_9407_613172.jpg

And with the pushfit test marine added in (for the sacred six :wink: )

med_gallery_63428_9407_642327.jpg

Close-ups:

med_gallery_63428_9407_370373.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_60299.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_77878.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_68976.jpg

med_gallery_63428_9407_154945.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_426140.jpg

med_gallery_63428_9407_326654.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_2262.jpg

med_gallery_63428_9407_256138.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_392861.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_11271.jpg

The first of the ornamentation I took from the Hellstriders using an Oyumaru mould.

The aspiring champion has another on his right shoulder pad...

med_gallery_63428_9407_305930.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_111312.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_329904.jpg

And the Eldar soulstones he is snacking on...

med_gallery_63428_9407_82734.jpg

And WIP of the spawn.

gallery_63428_9407_45005.jpggallery_63428_9407_11211.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_6864.jpg

Still a lot of GSing to do (joining the bodies together, some of the shoulders need filling) and the two frontmost arms added. There will also be chains linking pins through several parts of the body and limbs.

Very nice! Just the sort of inspiration I didn't need, as I've far too much work that needs to be done on my Russ! :laugh.: They look great, the mix of colours works even better with more models together and the extra details and such. The bits and bobs turned out well, I especially like the soul stones and bells :biggrin.: Great stuff, though the spawn looks maybe a little too freaky :laugh.:

Thanks!

I did a bit more work on the spawn today. Filled gaps with GS. I'll clean it up tomorrow and then hopefully there'll just be pins and gains to do and it will be ready for painting.

I also did some more Oyumaru moulding: some faces.

I need faces.

Screaming ones.

Ha! I finished working on the spawn just before I had to hit the sack. No time for taking photos, firing up the PC, uploading them...

The chain is for handcrafting jewelry. 50cm or so for about a quid. Good, fine stuff. And the pins are simply sewing pins cut down with wirecutters.

First up the faces:

med_gallery_63428_9407_9596.jpg

Two Daemonettes and four IG. Most came out needing a little cleaning up, but not too bad. I used the second from right one on the spawn...

gallery_63428_9407_21321.jpggallery_63428_9407_3352.jpg

gallery_63428_9407_17645.jpggallery_63428_9407_23439.jpg

Where'd I put that face?

Here, of course!

med_gallery_63428_9407_148118.jpg

I hope to basecoat and get on with painting him (it? them??) tomorrow.

(some sand has stuck to the model due to vaseline used when smoothing the GS, but I'll brush that all off tomorrow).

I really need to get some instamould. And you need to get some silicone clay shapers my friend. No need for lubricating those :wink:

Indeed I do. A tentacle roller too, would be nice. I'll give that site you mentioned in your thread another look at when I can spare the cash.

That spawn. :blink.:

I *hurk*ed a little. Not going to lie.

I guess that means you're on the right track :tongue.:

Thanks! I hope the remaining two will be equally disturbing :D

You're really going to town with the mould work, fantastic stuff! I assume you're not planning to use too many spawn given the amount of work it seems to require?

Cleaning up the Ghoul bits (mainly the bodies) takes the most time, but it's been very good fun making this one spawn so far. So different from anything I've done before. I still have seven more Ghoul torsos and lots of legs and arms so I think I can get another two spawn done. Three torsos again in one and four torsos in another.

The idea of a Giant Chaos Spawn made from a full box of ten Ghouls....something serpentine, a conglomeration of writhing bodies...is extremely tempting for a future project.

The first spawn is built on the table, the second is built within my mind and the form of the third remains a mystery to me, so once the first two are done I'll get back to finishing the second five noise marines. When inspiration strikes, I'll do the third spawn.

I did some fiddling with a Mk.7 shoulder pad to see if I could make something resembling a Mk.6 pad...

med_gallery_63428_9407_47419.jpg

And got a bit carried away.

gallery_63428_9407_37475.jpggallery_63428_9407_25026.jpg

I might put in on one of the next Noise Marines I make. Whatever I do put it on will have to be handled with considerable care.

Oh, and meet Tom, Dick and Harry.

They enjoy going for long walks on the beach and reminiscing about when they were three separate entities with a full compliment of limbs. :sick:

gallery_63428_9407_21949.jpggallery_63428_9407_19716.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_56384.jpggallery_63428_9407_3017.jpggallery_63428_9407_18813.jpggallery_63428_9407_10246.jpggallery_63428_9407_4265.jpg

I'll have to take some more photos against a lighter background sometime as these seem a bit washed out (on my PC screen). You can't see the blue veins. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be careful :D

I was intending to finish off my second squad of noise marines...but the Daemon Forge event got me!

I'm aiming for a homage of sorts to this...

gallery_63428_9407_10956.png

I began to gather my bitz and get to work...

gallery_63428_9407_40693.jpg

Removing a knife from that Dark Elf witch hand, drilling it out and gently prying it wider and wider to fit a filed-down Flagellant scroll has been the most nerve-wracking bit of work I've done in a while.

As I have no spare pointing right hands, he's getting that nice bolt pistol.

The lower body will all be GS....or GS over a suitable toy bit!

And this guy - former chief librarian Holusiax - already features in some fiction: my entry for this week's Inspiration Friday. :)

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/301953-inspirational-friday-30012015/?p=3940041

And today's work.

med_gallery_63428_9407_122337.jpg

I won't get any more done until the weekend and my toy hunt. :smile.:

I'll be careful :D

I was intending to finish off my second squad of noise marines...but the Daemon Forge event got me!

I'm aiming for a homage of sorts to this...

gallery_63428_9407_10956.png

I began to gather my bitz and get to work...

gallery_63428_9407_40693.jpg

Removing a knife from that Dark Elf witch hand, drilling it out and gently prying it wider and wider to fit a filed-down Flagellant scroll has been the most nerve-wracking bit of work I've done in a while.

As I have no spare pointing right hands, he's getting that nice bolt pistol.

The lower body will all be GS....or GS over a suitable toy bit!

And this guy - former chief librarian Holusiax - already features in some fiction: my entry for this week's Inspiration Friday. :)

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/301953-inspirational-friday-30012015/?p=3940041

And today's work.

med_gallery_63428_9407_122337.jpg

I won't get any more done until the weekend and my toy hunt. :smile.:

Matches well with your Inspirational Friday story too.

Thanks, Carrack.

Quite a substantial bits box you've got, he's looking good already! How thick will you make the bottom half? Might be easier to work with pure GS?

I'll see what I can get in the way of serpentine toys this weekend. Hopefully I can get something suitable to GS over. If not then I'll use a wire core (perhaps with more wire twisted around it for volume) and GS from there. I think I'll aim for going on the slim side.