Children of Cuth'Vasi: The Skies Bleed Ash

Flint13

Overall, it looks pretty good but there's a few areas I think could use a little work. First is that red dag markings could use a little clean up where some of the edges are bit slopy. Second is that the color of the base is almost the same color as your marine's armor and they almost blend together. Maybe a few thin washes of a dark color around the feet and greaves could help give a little more contrast between the two and also show some a bit of weathering on the figure.

Evening guys!

@ NightHunters - Thanks! You'd be surprised how much of a pain it was to carve that head out of there without demolishing his psychic hood.

@ DSS7 - Cool beans! I be they'll look awesome.

@ Depthcharge - Thanks. I'm glad to hear it. I dunno about bases yet. So far, I seem to be stuck on snowy... he needs something though, doesn't he? His armor kinda blends in with it. I am open to suggestions.

@ Barabbas - Not a bad idea. I'll get on it!

@ BCK - Oh goodness, can't argue there. Those are a little off. What would you suggest for greave weathering? I've been stuck on snowy bases for so long, it's kinda a habit ^_^

@ Jaspcat - To heck with that maniac. We Cuth'vasi are loyalist 12th. I'm pretty sure it will work out for us eventually ^_^

I don't know what the new washes from GW are called, but I'd take something like Devlan Mud and thin it down quite a bit for ease of control, and go over the feet and lower legs with several thin layers.

Agrax Earthshade ;)

@Flint. Another WE Librarian. You trying to anger Khorne? Does look good though.

I can't offer any criticism on the painting, but you already knew that.

He looks good. Does he count as having a thunder hammer or a power maul? The former seems redundant with biomancy.

Force Staff, That's the only one ya get for psy weapons. Sword, axe, or staff...pinch.gif

I can't offer any criticism on the painting, but you already knew that.

He looks good. Does he count as having a thunder hammer or a power maul? The former seems redundant with biomancy.

Force Staff, That's the only one ya get for psy weapons. Sword, axe, or staff...pinch.gif

I always thought that was odd, I mean if a Staff can be made into a Force Weapon why not a Mace or a Hammer? What reason precludes them from being made that way?

Jed'daai sounded similar to the jedi from Star Wars.

And the new librarian of yours looks pretty good, I especially like the way that the head of the hammer is painted. It looks like some kind of blue stone.

Thanks for the replies guys!

@ BCK - Gotcha. I've got some super watered down Devlan mud I use for taking the shiny out of metallics. I'll give that a run and see if it works.

@ Forte - Khorne? No Khorne here... no sir. Honestly, I'd never seen a Cataphractii librarian before, so the idea grew from there to loyalist World Eaters to a miniature coven of World Eater psykers with one to represent each of the psychic disciplines. 

@ AngelsAbsolute - Thanks!

@ Knight of the Raven - Thanks! Technically, he counts as a Force staff, but I liked the look of the hammer better than a long pole-arm. I figure the rules for a staff are the exact same as the rules for a maul + force weapon, so it would make decent sense. 

A thunder hammer would be a little redundant. But awesome! If I'm lucky I can get +3 str from Iron arm and rock a Str9 at initiative ^_^

@ MordentHex - Yup, correct. I don't think heresy era libbys can have thunderhammers either.

@ Sanguinius - Eh, the rules are the exact same as the mace. I think it's one of those "catch all" sort of things. A force staff isn't even two handed. I just wanted to try my hand at painting one of those cool hammers.

@ Captain Nameless - Oh, haha, you're right it does! That's pretty good. I'll go with it ^_^

I was curious how my newfound power weapon technique would look on a hammer, which is most of the reason I used it instead of another polearm. On a flat blade, it looks more like translucent ice. I kinda like the hammer myself 

Loving the head on the latest librarian. Did you have any problems with removing Loth's head btw? I have him lying around somewhere and I'm thinking about switching his head.

First off, the concept is wild and very rich. I love it. We'll still burn them if we ever find them, but just so you know, it's nothing personal, it's just business. :)

The modeling is coming along very well. You have the conceptualization piece down pat. I love the posing of your figures, they always seem to convey the back story that frames them. I do think that with these guys, you need to come up with a basing scheme adds to the figure, not detracts or dilutes. Yes, WE probably ran across snowy fields. But that is very difficult to convey on such a small scale.

Something to consider is a warmer set of colors to contrast with the coolness of the white/blue. So possibly a light sand/brown set of colors. Something that will cause the figure to stand apart from the base, but not pop out. So although you could put them on a dark earth color of base and stick some greenery in there, I think that might become a distraction. A sand or greyish sand, would give you some separation. You could even get some static grass (wheat colored) to add a little bit of something to break up the base along with the rocks and pebbles you already use. Then you could add your dust effects to the lower legs to tie it all together.

Play on!

Evening folks! It's going to be a little while before I finish my last librarian for the full set. So here is what I'll be working on in the meantime. At first, I was playing around with just making a company comprised entirely of Cuth'vasi World Eaters, but eventually decided on throwing in a few worlds of my own. Da'kian is a feudal world, rife with heroic duels and loud proclamations of glory. Perfect for a swaggery, "FIRST TO THE BREACH!" bunch of World Eaters ^_^

Feel free to C&C. I'm open to suggestions since they're still in the primer stage.

Get of Da'kian

The Gashaan Ku'Faano (Honored Sheildbearers)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/706/zbj8.jpg

Sergeant Dagaal Ya'han

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/163/qc40.jpg

Replies!

@ Forte - It's ok, I'm getting old too :P

@ Gaurdian31 - Do these count? 

@ Koriel - I won't lie, it was a complete pain. It's all one piece, so it's a chore to carve it out of there. You can't just snip it because you'd demolish the psychic hood. I tried for all of two days, then gave up, cut it *ALL* off and pinned in one from a Gray Knight ^_^

@ Honda - Thanks! Always love to be different. I'll get on those bases!

@ Heinrich - Haha, I do indeed! I'm thinking maybe a dark or rocky mud at the moment.

@ 200plus - Thanks! I thought it would be a little unique.

@ Barabbas - I don't mind helping out with the traitor burnin', but don't you guys hate psykers as much as Angron?

@ Slave - You don't need them? ^_^

I want the two with the hooked chainaxes. They is perdy and look like they could be awfully violent :p would be cool if, when you do commence painting, one had some blood splatter from the bottom of the shield upwards. You know coz the guy on the receiving end shouldn't have fell over

Archived