Children of Cuth'Vasi: The Skies Bleed Ash

Flint13

Alright folks, here's the test scheme for my first breacher. Some learning points for me:

1.) I'm done with anything but black primer.

2.) I love inks. I tried a brown one on the Sycorax bronze, and it makes it look miles richer. 

3.) I still haven't figured out battle damage yet.

Pics are a tad dark, but I'm sure you'll get the idea. The Get of Da'kian are a brash, arrogant lot, but brutally effective. The feudal world they came from still commands their traditions of honor and haughty glory-seeking. They hold any enemy in contempt and show it with their loud red crests and highlights. The squad will all share a little red X over their heart. "Shoot here... if you can manage even that."

Replies!

@ Vazzy - Glad to hear it. These should be a fun break from librarians for me.

@ Helterskelter - Oh, that's a good idea! I'll play around with a bit of tasteful gore and see what I can do

@ Jaspcat - Bring it!

@ Barabbas - Gotcha, that clears things up. And thanks!

@ Koriel - The wonderful world of Ebay bits sellers. Those are all breacher sergeant heads. HH bits are a bit rarer than the plastic GW variety, but helpful once I find them.

@ gaurdian31 - The hook axes are from the World Bearers' Ashen Circle. I think they're called axe rakes. I was tired of everyone else stealing the World Eaters' chainaxe thunder, so I decided to take it back!

Also, I'm not 100% if my WE have the nails yet or not. I am thinking of a line of fluff wherein the Cuth'vasi and a few other races within the World Eaters band together and go loyalist renegade because of various genetic quirks that make the nails non or mal-functional when implanted in them specifically.

@ Augustus - Oh, sorry about that! I have to take a little midnight clad break every now and again. Glad to hear you like it. More terminators are on the painting table once I finish up these breachers, actually. 

2.) I love inks. I tried a brown one on the Sycorax bronze, and it makes it look miles richer. 

For the gold/bronze side of the metals, purple ink also does wonders with bringing out some more of that richness and it's good for shading as well, but be sure to thin it down and use several layers to make sure you control it.

For the gold/bronze side of the metals, purple ink also does wonders with bringing out some more of that richness and it's good for shading as well, but be sure to thin it down and use several layers to make sure you control it.

I prefer washes or thinned paint. Doesn't pool as much or dry with a gloss finish.

For the gold/bronze side of the metals, purple ink does wonders with bringing out some more of that richness and it's good for shading as well, but be sure to thin it down and use several layers to make sure you control it.

stole :p because i love inks too!

By the way, as I have discovered m'shen didn't get you too miss flint (so quiet for ages I was beginning to think the officio assassinorum had got you) a mild shameless plug, with purpose. You inspired me to start up NL again, aswell as many on this hallowed forum inspiring me to try other Ideas. So as a thankyou, you all may feature in some way.

Keep eyes for master of assault Fo'lin'tah. He always keeps his claws sharp ;)

stole tongue.png because i love inks too!

Nothing to steal, brother. We're all here to share our work and help make each other better at the hobby.

Think I have some of the old inks. May be useful for blood and oil.

As far as the old GW inks, I still have some Chestnut around here somewhere, but this is what I break out when the Leviathan Purple won't cut it:

http://i.imgur.com/JJVf6g3.jpg?1

Long ago, before I got into 40k, I took a couple of private airbrush lessons(for painting on art board, not miniatures) and we used a lot of inks, and this is all I have left of those original purchases. Unfortunately, the Luma line of watercolor inks was discontinued a while ago, so this has become very precious to me. Mine. My own...

This is a very cool project, I love the amount of fluff detail you're putting in. The minis are looking good, too, that's a nice bronze you've got on the armour trim. The bloody handprint on your librarian's helm is amazing.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Wow, thanks guys.

@ Jasp - I was actually thinking of alternating them. A few with bright blue, a few with white shields.

@ Forte - Glad to hear it... you old goat ^_^ 

@ BCK - I've got a little purple ink going on in the recesses of the shield and shoulderpads. I admit I never thought to try it on my bronzes. I'll have to play around with that!

@ forte (2) - I'm still torn between the two. I use a matte varnish, so gloss isn't a huge issue

@ Brother Molokai - Thanks! I'll do my best to make it snappy.

@ Helterskelter - Wow, that's some praise. I'll admit I needed a little break from the midnight clad. Don't worry though, I'm just recharging my batteries. I can't wait to see what mini-midnight-me looks like ^_^

@ Barabbas - Yeah, I'll agree. I kinda want to try free hand on them, but I'm waiting for my legion pads in the mail... Those are kinda place holders atm

@Kvlt Ghost - Thanks! That silly hand print took me about half a dozen tries to get right, but I'm glad I stuck with it. 

Guys, guys! I think I'm starting to get this "painting white" thing down.

Evidence: My 2nd breacher. Also, my first steps at 1kHeathen's style white battle damage ^_^

@ Paladin - Thanks! It's always fulfilling to hear that I can inspire! happy.png
@ DSS7 - Always glad to hear it. Thanks buddy!

Everyone gets a helmet crest so that the sergeant can't be picked out?

I fear your echelon has been infiltrated by Alpha Legionnaires, Flint13.

Good painting.

Well the crests are suicide when fighting against other marines really.

Archived