Children of Cuth'Vasi: The Skies Bleed Ash

Flint13

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/580/5m01.jpg

@gaurdian31 - Thanks! I feel like I have bronze *down* now ^_^ Above groupshot work ok?

@Barabbas - Thanks, I feel like I'm slowly getting it now.

@Knight of the Raven - That, and I wanted them to look pretty showy and arrogant. How'd I do?

And that's ok, we're all really just playing Alpha legion in one form or another anyway. I've just accepted it ^_^

@Forte - Not if they *ALL* have giant red head targets thumbsup.gif

@Jasp - Thanks buddy!

That, and I wanted them to look pretty showy and arrogant. How'd I do?

I'll be honest; showy and arrogant didn't come to mind. Childish did, because of the little strokes of red paint. They're certainly well painted, in that they're straight and show no evidence of trembling, but they're not what I expect from space marines, even some as artistically dead as World Eaters.

P.S. I mean no belittlement when I say 'childish.'

P.P.S. Your army, not mine. My opinion doesn't actually matter.

The red markings kind of make me think neanderthalic rather than childish, though really the only thing separating the two is the context of time. Actually paying attention to it, it reminds me of the early forms of written language that arose in what is now called the Middle East. I have a specific language in mind, just not sure if I am remembering it right.

Which, on a Roman styled Legion, looks suitably barbaric. It may not have been the intent behind it, but that's what I get from it.

Alright, I finally think I've got this down to a repeatable standard. These guys are taking awhile since I'm trying out a couple of new techniques on each one. What do we think of breacher 3? I think I'm sticking with his version of shading white, as well as the battle damage to his shield and basing.

And the gang so far.

Replies!

@Forte - Ha! I'll do my best.

@Raven - I could see that. Your opinion definitely matters. Thanks for sharing it!

@Cormac - That's a little more what I was shooting for. Fluff-wise, their home planet is a feudal world complete with fiefdoms and all sorts of medieval tom-foolery. I stopped just short of giving each of them their own personal heraldry and stuck with just a few unique markings per marine.

Thanks for the replies guys!

@ Jasp - They're in the mail! Promise ^_^

@ Raven - That's fair. Thanks! About that triforce...

@ DDS7 - It is indeed, thanks!

@ Jasp (2) - Heh... see here's the thing. I've never played Zelda, I just kinda thought that tri-triangle thingie looked cool...

I'm a Zelda poseur... sweat.gif

@ Anaziel - Thanks buddy!

@ Gaurdian31 - Sure thing. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Very nice. Lots of character in those three guys. This is what I think I'm seeing right now:

1. You're doing a good job with the white. Not an easy color to do, by any means.

2. Your blue is a nice shade and is helped out with the red spot color. Blue is the major as we would expect, and red is accenting.

3. Your metals look very nice, a little shiny where they need to be, but still worn looking, which is what I would expect.

4. Battle damage to break things up.

Areas of improvement:

a. While your still sort of early in this force, I think you should consider adding some definition to the armor bolts and recesses. I would use the Devlan Mud equivalent to give those areas a little shading. I don't think I'd use a black in the recesses as that would be too stark a contrast. Obviously, if you consider this, test drive it on a spare figure.

This would also be applied to the color divisions on the breacher shields.

b. I think your painting skills are advanced enough that you should consider using the sponge technique for your battle damage. Although it doesn't do slashes as well, it does do scrapes etc. very nicely.

c. This is just me, but I really like "wheat" colored static grass. You can stick it on partial snow bases to infer a season, and you can add it to urban bases to indicate a overgrown vegetation effect. Obviously, it looks good on desert bases as well. Again, this is just a suggestion, but something you might look into. You can get the stuff that railroad modelers use (it's around ten bucks) and that's about a life time supply. Anyway it's a nice way to add a little texture to your bases.

So, the journey continues and you are doing excellent work.

Play on, M'lady.

Flint, i love how we can see you improving your skills with every single model. These WE look really great. I agree with Honda mostly. White is not an easy colour and youre doing a great job with it. The devlan mud accents on the rivets would finish the results. Battle damage with a litle sponge is really easy and would make it even more realistic. If youll allow me, I would give you some advice on the scratches. Why not use the back end of a hoby knife and really scratch it? Then fill those scratches with a dark brown, and add a tiny stripe of metal in the exact middle of the scratch. Actually damaging your models may sound extreme, but the result is so much more realistic compared to painted on scratches. Check out my contemptor dread for examples.

Very much looking forward to more of your work! Cheers! :-)

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately I have to agree with helterskelter you have to post some models please or updates otherwise... Uh.. Just isn't fair lol.

But great World eaters none the less ;)

• 1 month later...

"In all the fractals of the possibilities to end this day, they all end the same. I thank you, Great Khan."

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/540/CfdDnn.jpg

"Your warriors have swept the resistance of my brothers aside as they succumbed to the madness that plagues their every waking moment."

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/911/iLly8s.jpg

"My brothers might have fought their way free from the hit and run assaults of your warriors, but they would not have fled. No thoughts of preservation would have been left to them."

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/539/Q0IDb5.jpg

"They would have fought to the last as the last drop of their blood flowed into the dirt of this valley. Not one of them would have noticed that they were already dead."

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/538/OIt0YW.jpg

"Among them all, I was the first to die. Not in body, but in mind and spirit. To see our once proud legion crumble upon itself. To cannibalize it's own proud traditions, its peerless warriors reduced to ash falling from the heavens. I did not just watch them eat their own lives... I saw them tear themselves apart for decades, in thousands of ways, in thousands of possibilities. All of them different, but all of them ending identically."

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/537/QzLIzU.jpg

"Why do I still fight? More than any, a White Scar should know. Among the corpses of my last brothers, the last drops of my blood kin soaking into the dirt of this valley, the last breath I have left. I have seen this day in a thousand ways. I know I won't leave here breathing, and your Great Company will go on to glory and honor the the name of the God Emperor. Though I am but one, I will fight you Great Khan, because I am a warrior..."

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/673/DvN7SL.jpg

"...and because you killed my brothers." 

~Jhada Naga, (Librarius Divinitatus, Legio XII Company XVIII) to Sahdyn Khan of the White Scars Legion   

Awesome model, nice speech. When was this? Since it is a librarian I assume it is supposed to be before Nikaea. When did the World Eaters fight the White Scars before the Heresy? And lastly where are the swords from?

Archived