Queen Bee Knight -- Thank you! Please read the new post

JeffTibbetts

this would be a little more work but instead of a raised face plate have it swivel out to the left or right. It would require modeling some hydraulic linkage to explain how it closes but I think it could work. Now my only caveat to that is that this is a "battle pose" and it doesn't really make sense to raise or open your faceplate in the middle of combat. Of course the story could be that that was the last enemy in the general vicinity so....

Have you thought about lighting the knight's eyes with LEDs? There is plenty of room in the body for the battery and the switch. Blood and Skulls Industries on eBay sells premade lighting kits in different colors.

I might light mine up.

I thought about it, but I decided if anything is lit it will be the cockpit. Lit eyes look cool, but I admit I never understood that anyway. No offense to you or anything, but why would the eyes, which are the cameras and sensors, light up? What camera lights up? I mean the lens part? I even thought about doing mine with some OSL but I keep going back on it because I feel like I don't get it.

I feel the same way about Space Marine eyes and everything. Why would that glow? It does look really cool sometimes. 

Looking awesome, especially with the xenos crushing. Since you are raising the visor, what aboout also having the lower part of the facemask mounted, like Nusquam did? http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/287410-imperial-knight-final-wip-damage-control/?p=3618422

Thanks! I'm not sure what you mean about the visor, though. That part of the visor is raised up. What would I be mounting?

Okay. I think I settled on doing a raised visor. I do like the way it looks in situ. I've done a bit more small stuff on her at this point. At this point, it's just too fun to play around with her pose. I also realized at some point there's no need to pick a final pose. I can leave it all poseable.

When you're crossing the street, always look both ways first. :D

gallery_74115_9313_94769.jpg

Anyone to the right?

gallery_74115_9313_4676.jpg

How about the left? No Necrons...?

gallery_74115_9313_39181.jpg

Alright. Go on ahead, then.

gallery_74115_9313_18797.jpg

This is the most dramatic posing, in my opinion. To me, this looks like she just smashed this poor 'Cron and now she's doing a "you want some" look. This is what you might see about half a second before her visor snaps back down and she brings that barrel to bear.

gallery_74115_9313_92994.jpgMy second fave. Taking aim to the side to address a new threat. I do like how this shows the range of motion in the hips. These suits look pretty agile, for all their bulk.

gallery_74115_9313_70543.jpg

And what's probably the most practical, and thus boring, pose. I don't think she'll be spending a lot of time looking like this, but it's cool to see how much difference a pose makes.

gallery_74115_9313_47110.jpg

Did some work on the Reaper piston. Remember when I said it wasn't worth it for lack of range of movement? Don't listen to me. I fixed it and this is totally worth it.

gallery_74115_9313_21815.jpg

You can really get a full range this way. Allow me to explain what I ended up doing: it was scary but that's why you're letting me take all the risks and tell you what works and what doesn't. I do it for you all. :D Firsly, as before, I cut out the middle bit of piston and that left me with just a cap on one side, and a hinge on the other. At first, I only drilled out the cap bit and then about a quarter inch on the hinge side. That last part is where I went wrong.

I then took the cap side (that goes into the upper arm) and drilled a small perpendicular hole at the top for a paperclip (or any pin) to go through. I then drilled small holes in the upper arm and threaded it all together. This would be pretty tough to do after you glue the two halves of the arm together. Do it first. You can see the metal tip of the pin in the pics there. This step is important, as the angle of the plastic rod piston will change as the arm moves. I tried to position it with the widest range of movement I could without being too close to the gate where the piston comes out of the arm. It ended up being right about the middle. Since you can see the angle the piston goes into the arm, as well as the pin hole, you can triangulate the position of that little plastic cap in there.

Once that's in place, make sure the hinge is secured in place in a glued Reaper arm. It should obviously rotate freely. At first, I was really concerned about this little hinge so I barely drilled into it at all. However, the rod had to be cut pretty short since there wasn't much room for it to move, and the range of movement was very limited. If you moved the arm down far enough, the piston would just pop out the back. I wasn't satisfied with this. I decided the only way to make it work would be to drill right through the middle of the hinge after all and cut a longer rod, so that's what I did. I was scared the hinge sides would just fall apart inside, but they didn't. Even if they had, I could have fixed it in place at that point. But no big deal, I was able to core that out, and then use a much longer piston.

The piston is only glued in the upper arm side, and the rest just moves down into the engine in the rear of the Reaper. This gives it a pretty wide range of movement, as you can see. Totally worth it, in my opinion. It fits nice and snug, so I can pose it and it stays in place.

And now one more pic for fun:

gallery_74115_9313_73181.jpg

"You lookin at ME?"

Hmm, the only real problem with the visor in that position would be that you don't get a clear look at the face on the table, which is a shame imho...

Otherwise, love it!

Hmm, the only real problem with the visor in that position would be that you don't get a clear look at the face on the table, which is a shame imho...

Otherwise, love it!

I know it, right? I like the way it looks from below. On the tabletop, these will always and forever look like a capsized boat. The helmet just adds to that. I do wish the flipped visor worked a LITTLE better, but you know what? I'm sure I'm going to magnetize it anyway so I can drop it like it's hot. 

Pose 1, the you want some look, without a doubt.

I took one look at that and my mind immediately chirped in with:

"Target Verified: Commencing Hostilities"

(Then again, I'm a huge mecha and robot nerd, so what do I know).

Can't wait to see this beauty painted Tibbetts.

Pose 1, the you want some look, without a doubt.

I took one look at that and my mind immediately chirped in with:

"Target Verified: Commencing Hostilities"

(Then again, I'm a huge mecha and robot nerd, so what do I know).

Can't wait to see this beauty painted Tibbetts.

Yeah, man. I love it. I think of the scene in the first Transformers when you see the helicopter dude looking down and scanning the target info on the little human crawling around below him. Creepy but awesome.  

great looking knight. love all the different poses. love the helm. thats my fave.

Thanks! I'm in the process now of magnetizing it so I can lower it if I want to. I plan on leaving it up for display though. It looks cooler now than it did at first, now that I dry fit everything.

I'm getting itchy to paint this lady, but I still have work to do.

What did you use for the leg pistons? The little plastic rods - where did you get them?

I'm doing an adjustment to the stance for my knights legs - and your tribulations have been a great help! All the little fiddly connector bits are making me bonkers.

What did you use for the leg pistons? The little plastic rods - where did you get them?

I'm doing an adjustment to the stance for my knights legs - and your tribulations have been a great help! All the little fiddly connector bits are making me bonkers.

Tell me about it. They're very finicky. I have a pic of the package on the first or second page of the thread. They're from a company called Evergreen and I got them at a model train shop. If you've got one in your area I strongly suggest checking them out. I used a thicker rod for the rear piston. I unfortunately don't know the sizes as I got a variety pack with 7 gauges. An absolute steal for less than 5 bucks. Good luck on your repose! I'm glad I could help.

:drool:  This is such an awesome and ambitious project. I prefer the 'want some pose' or whatever involves not facing the downed 'Cron, it says 'target neutralised, ready to smash the rest of your army'.

Thanks, man! I'm a huge fan of your work so it means a lot coming from you. And yeah, that's totally how I feel about that pose too. I'm working on the head now and the tilting helmet has been a lot of work on its own.

Last night I did a fair bit of sculpting and more gap filling. Not done yet, but I'm getting there.

Tell me about it. They're very finicky. I have a pic of the package on the first or second page of the thread. They're from a company called Evergreen and I got them at a model train shop. If you've got one in your area I strongly suggest checking them out. I used a thicker rod for the rear piston. I unfortunately don't know the sizes as I got a variety pack with 7 gauges. An absolute steal for less than 5 bucks. Good luck on your repose! I'm glad I could help.

Gah, I dont know how I missed that. Thanks!

Found another cockpit reference for you when the time comes - http://agis40k.blogspot.com/2014/03/fallen-knight.html

I think the engine to cockpit space ratio for this one is much better - obviously the pilot isn't going to have or even need much room, connected as they are to the machine. The Valkyrie cockpit he used is actually up on ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/WARHAMMER-40K-BIN-BITS-IMPERIAL-GUARD-VALKYRIE-PILOT-DRIVERS-/330959256837?pt=Games_US&hash=item4d0eb57d05. I know you plan on sculpting your own pilot, but this might be a nice base. Suppose the cockpit of a Stormraven/talon may work well too.

And keep up the great work!

Found another cockpit reference for you when the time comes - http://agis40k.blogspot.com/2014/03/fallen-knight.html

I think the engine to cockpit space ratio for this one is much better - obviously the pilot isn't going to have or even need much room, connected as they are to the machine. The Valkyrie cockpit he used is actually up on ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/WARHAMMER-40K-BIN-BITS-IMPERIAL-GUARD-VALKYRIE-PILOT-DRIVERS-/330959256837?pt=Games_US&hash=item4d0eb57d05. I know you plan on sculpting your own pilot, but this might be a nice base.

And keep up the great work!

Dang! That's a good find. I've been on a slow prowl all over the net and have seen a few pilots, but this one's my fave and I hadn't seen it yet. Kudos! And that pilot base is very tempting. However, just this morning I saw ForgeWorld's newest bulletin where they have a clear shot of the Throne Mechanicum in their new Knight Lancer kit! I've heard rumors that they'll be making an interior kit for the Paladin/Errant as well. I think I had better hold off on that until I hear what they're up to. I'd much rather have an official one, to be honest. Of course, the pilot will by my own creation because I'm 100% certain they won't be making a female pilot anytime soon. If it turns out they're not going to do one, I think I'll use the Valk just like that guy did. 

Thanks so much for finding that info for me! 

Forgeworld throwing in their lot for the Imperial Knights - Nice! I hope they do provide interior kits for the GW models, that would be great and worth the wait.

As I added above, if all else fails, Stormravens/talons probably have suitable cockpit bits to work with as well, and the pilot is totally separate.

Hehe, so is there a possibility Lady Tibbetts might have some fellow Knights to walk alongside in the near future? Perhaps a distant relative from her old house or maybe another Freeblade she's become chummy with? ;)

Archived