Queen Bee Knight -- Thank you! Please read the new post

JeffTibbetts

I took in a stray last November that seemed completely uninterested in my hobby table for the first few months. He's since mauled two of my figures, so I know your pain.

Yup. I don't even have a door on my hobby room... The things cat people put up with...

I took in a stray last November that seemed completely uninterested in my hobby table for the first few months. He's since mauled two of my figures, so I know your pain.

Mine plans the demise of my hobby

I'll admit I had a fleeting moment of 'oh god I can't do this anymore' before moving on.

This is one of the figures my cat demolished:

http://i.imgur.com/8ozWEPZ.jpg

The Officer of the Fleet I was converting my Vostroyans. The one other one I can't show just yet, but I think them being targeted by the furry destroyer had something to do with the tissue capes, because both had them.

Yup. I don't even have a door on my hobby room... The things cat people put up with...
. Oh man do I ever sympathize. I have 4 cats at home-- 2 of which go outside at all hours if the night-- they got spoiled during the summer going out windows, which they are trying now when they're all closed. The way my room and hobby area are set up, my hobby table is right next to a window. I am woken up pretty much every night by either cat knocking over model stuff and tools until I let them out. (And in his youth our ferret used to cache any model pieces that fell on the ground in his various hideouts.). There's just something about pets and hobby destruction, it's unreal.

On the other hand, at least with the magnifying glass incidents, you got some decent battle damage out of it - and I nicely themed base!

But seeing the initial damage wrought by Cat-inator must have been heartbreaking. I trust there now is a door or somesuch on the Forgeworld?

It's a blessing from the omnissiah, I say roll with it. There have been occasions when I've been working on a mini and lost parts, then have had to replace them. Often the replacement parts work out better than what I originally had in mind.

Gaw, that's...awful, man. I've been watching this thread since seemingly forever, and I've got a sympathy pain just from seeing that busted-up frame.

Like you said, though, it's not all bad. That scorch-mark's in an amazingly fortuitous place. I'd recommend sticking with it.

Well Jeff, theres always the silver lining that you have some potentially awesome (albeit accidental) battle damage that most of us would squirm at attempting (melting plastic!?! NO WAY!).

As for pets: thats why you get a small breed of dog like I did with my Miniature Dachshund:  She can't get anywhere she's not supposed to and loves to just sit in my lap/cradle my lower back(on my chair) when I'm doing hobby stuff. Bonus points in winter since shes a small and portable heater.

Wow, scary, very scary about the fire, but that melting really does work well in the pics (I'll echo the other poster, Praise the Omnissiah!). I'll be extra careful with my magnifying glass from now on, it stays on a shelf in a hallway with no direct window but maybe i'll throw a cloth over it just to be sure!

As for the chain... you made lots of conversions part of the miniatures story, so make this part of it too! I suggest you don't replace the part as if it hadn't been damaged, make a clearly jury-rigged replacement for the chain to be hooked onto and make sign of the 'original' damage that required that makeshift repair.

It's good to see the Bee back on her feet. I sympathize entirely with all the hardships getting to this point, but it's looking like things have worked out fairly well. I know sometimes I have painting accidents that add a but of character or an effect I wasn't expecting that works out really nicely, and although I personally wouldn't have recommended fire (:P), the scorch on the base and shinpad fit in really nicely. Make sure they're on the same side and boom, instant eye catcher and storytelling on your base. And please, please rebuild the rope ladder. It's obvious it was something that was important to the Bee's story, and to yourself, and really I feel she wouldn't be the same without that little detail.

Best of luck :)

Thanks for all the kind words, peeps. I really love hearing how much you're all invested in this lady. I really feel like the Queen Bee belongs to the Bolter and Chainsword community. I wouldn't have started this project without the inspiration I've gotten from you all. I wouldn't have been so bold as to convert her so heavily. I wouldn't have tried all these new painting techniques. Frankly, she exists because of my involvement, and sharing her with you at every step of the way and allowing your comments and critique to inform my decision-making has been an oddly liberating journey.

Thank you, to all of you, sincerely.

Wow, scary, very scary about the fire, but that melting really does work well in the pics (I'll echo the other poster, Praise the Omnissiah!). I'll be extra careful with my magnifying glass from now on, it stays on a shelf in a hallway with no direct window but maybe i'll throw a cloth over it just to be sure!

As for the chain... you made lots of conversions part of the miniatures story, so make this part of it too! I suggest you don't replace the part as if it hadn't been damaged, make a clearly jury-rigged replacement for the chain to be hooked onto and make sign of the 'original' damage that required that makeshift repair.

Yes! That's a great idea. I don't know why I didn't think of it like that in the first place. I wanted her to look like she's been through hell, and this is just another step in the process. Makes me wonder how mad she was to see that her chain was busted, and if she had to try and scramble down one of the legs at some point.

It's good to see the Bee back on her feet. I sympathize entirely with all the hardships getting to this point, but it's looking like things have worked out fairly well. I know sometimes I have painting accidents that add a but of character or an effect I wasn't expecting that works out really nicely, and although I personally wouldn't have recommended fire (tongue.png), the scorch on the base and shinpad fit in really nicely. Make sure they're on the same side and boom, instant eye catcher and storytelling on your base. And please, please rebuild the rope ladder. It's obvious it was something that was important to the Bee's story, and to yourself, and really I feel she wouldn't be the same without that little detail.

Best of luck smile.png

Thanks again, man. Yeah, I think I'm going to stick with the battle damage and just roll with "the Emperor works in mysterious ways" mentality.

As for the ladder? I'm going to take a hint from Batty and yourself, and put myself in Aurelia's shoes. What would I do if this actually happened? Maybe something like this:

gallery_74115_9313_691224.jpg

Put a new freaking chain on it and weld a post on, and just toss the chain over it. Now instead of being coiled around the bar, it will maybe loop once, hook over the post, and hang loosely. Heck, I can probably use this to convey a better sense of motion. Also, I think I'll leave the 'new' bit of chain clean and unweathered, so it actually looks like she attached a length to the few links that were left hanging.

More drama. More narrative. Oh, the stories this lady will tell when all's said and done...

Have you seen Flashgitz Space Hulk rendition?

I feel like your C.A.T. unit needs to get the reeducation chip! :P the flea ridden little blighters are always getting into trouble.

Anywho, I kinda like the new melta STC you discovered lol I actually like the battle damage on your knight, especially the base - it looks like it got slagged by a thermal cannon.

Archived