Queen Bee Knight -- Thank you! Please read the new post

JeffTibbetts

Congratulations to you and Mrs Tibbetts.  :)

Don't let things get routine and don't take each other for granted... or that was the advice I was given when I got married :)

Hahaha! Thanks for all the comments! I'm sitting in an airport overnight, getting ready to go to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. Should be fun! I have the new SM codex to keep me company. Didn't pick it up before the wedding so I'm having a look through it now.

• 1 month later...

Finally had a chance (and the inclination) to do just a little bit more work on this project. I decided, after watching a few Twitch streams of other miniature painters out there, to do one of my own as a test. I streamed painting for about 2 hours and had a handful of people watching and chatting. It was nice. If you're interested in watching me some time, make sure to subscribe to my Twitch channel and keep an eye out for me. I doubt I'll do it often, but it was fun.

It gave me the opportunity to finish up the base, finally. I had sort of finished it earlier, but someone (can't remember who, sorry!) mentioned I could add a few loose bricks around the wall to help sell that aspect of it. I broke out the Milliput and added them maybe a month ago, but never painted them to match. Last night I did that, in my usual way, and added the weathering pigments to help match it to the wall. After that, I added the small patches of ash flock that I usually do, but for some reason had been putting off on this base. Here are a few pics. It may not look like much, but once this is done I'll be able to finish up armor trim on the legs, glue them down, and then build out the little lightning arcs! That's one of the final details, so it's exciting to me.

Sorry for the lame pics. I took them during the stream in a hurry.

gallery_74115_9313_546964.jpg

gallery_74115_9313_1849429.jpg

gallery_74115_9313_1189510.jpg

The light patches are the flocked bits.

Good to see an update, I was starting to think I'd finish my Knight before you msn-wink.gif The base is looking great, it'll be just as much a piece as the model itself! biggrin.png

Haha! Yours is coming along pretty well. I wouldn't entirely rule it out... But I'm pretty eager to get back to work on her, to be honest. I keep saying she's so close, but the proof is in the pudding. Maybe I should take some vacation time...

Looks good, although I would want to colour the bricks a bit more like the top of the brick wall (where they presumably came from) than like the bottom.

Yeah, I can see that, man. I'd love to say I did this on purpose, but honestly it has more to do with the way they're painted. I can justify it by saying that the damage happened a long time ago and the top areas have weathered/aged differently. Also, artistic license allows me to worry more about the color variations/contrast and how much I want to draw the eye away from the real deal. I'd rather keep it low-key.

That said, I really didn't think about it, and you're probably right if it was supposed to be 100% realistic.

Very cool!

I'm glad to have been amongst the giving of feedback that helped inspire you, as your work has helped inspire mine smile.png

Amongst them? I'd say you were one of the instrumental members of the feedback cycle, Bats. And I'm glad I could help bring your work into the light of day a little bit more as well. I still remember your first (rather tentative) post, and thinking we needed to see more!

Congrats Jeff! All the best to you two. 

The base is looking good too. When will we be seeing the Queen Bee on it?

You know I don't like timetables... ;) 

Soon, I hope. Next up is finishing the trim on the legs so I can at least get them glued on. I have a fair bit of metal trim to go, but at this point it's basically ready for a game table. 

Just asking! :) Take your time - you need to feel she's ready, and it's your project. :tu: I'm just, you know, excited to see her in all her glory.

Haha! I wasn't yelling at you. The truth is all those comments do a lot to motivate me to finish.

Stunning and an amazing plog if ever there were one.  I will definitely refer back to this beast of a thread when I finally get around to tackling my Castigator.

Thank you! I'd be honored if you borrow heavily from my work.

Very cool!

I'm glad to have been amongst the giving of feedback that helped inspire you, as your work has helped inspire mine smile.png

Amongst them? I'd say you were one of the instrumental members of the feedback cycle, Bats. And I'm glad I could help bring your work into the light of day a little bit more as well. I still remember your first (rather tentative) post, and thinking we needed to see more!

Aww thanks! I haven't got a ton done lately as i've been very busy with other things and only getting a teeny bit of progress each day on my vanguard but if i can just find the right critical part for my Knight Styrix interior i can start building that interior and that will be a ton of fun.

I don't have an update, but I have to share how excited I am about the new Freeblade mobile game that was announced today. They say you can customize your Knight, and I can't wait to see if it might be possible to recreate something close to my Queen in the game. No matter how close I get, it will never be as good as the real thing.

Here's where you come in: I'm trying to start a Twitter campaign to get the studio, Pixel Toys, to get her in the game as a bonus unlockable skin. I'm going to do a blog post about it tomorrow, but for now I'd love it if you could visit my Twitter profile and RT my tweets to the studio. I want to come up with a cute hashtag, but seriously how fun would it be to play as her in the game? I know some of her loyal fans will be down for this.

For the hashtag I'm thinking #godsavethequeenbee or something like that. Ideas?

Archived