(WIP) Heresy Era World Eaters: 72nd Company

Hello all, and welcome to the WIP thread of the 72nd Company of the World Eaters legion, otherwise knowns as the Conquerors. This is my first real post in the BBC, which is really scary and also exciting. I hope you guys enjoy!!! The updates henceforth will be structured similar to this, lots of fluff with an accompanying image(s).

++ Day 34 of the assault on Daljesk, empire of the 500 Worlds, under the protection of Orpheon Gallius, Protectant of Ultramar ++

Carnaedyn prowled across the war-torn city, his armored palm resting on the huge spear ‘Anagorax’ that had earned him such renown with his brothers. ‘The Huntmaster’, they called him, due to the plethora of enemy commanders that had met their end by his will, as he stalked them through the dusty cities of the 500 Worlds. Anagorax purred in his hand as he stalked the broken roadway, causing Carnaedyn to glance down at the spear in his hand. Won from a captain of the Sons of Horus when the 72nd had served alongside them, he thought once again of throwing it as far from himself as possible, the sick sense of disgust like a film over his body as he stared at Anagorax. For a brief second, he could swear that it was quivering, as though it was breathing...but of course that was impossible, whispered a voice in his head, a voice he recognized as his own but distorted, as though an echo of a shout. Was it truly his? Carnaedyn shook his plumed head, another accolade won from the Sons of Horus, and the familiarly unknown thoughts faded away. With a grimace, Carnaedyn loosened muscles that had suddenly become tight, listening to the vox-calls of his brothers as he caught sight of a ragged yet extremely well organized band of Ultramarines led by an ostentatiously decorated captain. Unlike his fellow World Eaters, he did not froth at the mouth, nor did he revel in the ability to murder those less powerful than himself. The Butcher’s Nails did not burn his muscles with the lactic rage they brought: rather, through some flaw in the implantation, Carnaedyn was prone to fits of melancholic anger, a darker urge towards existential destruction rather than the blind rage that his brothers felt. He was known not only as the Huntmaster, but as one of the few remaining philosopher warriors left in the World Eaters. A warrior measures his own worth by the enemies he has defeated, Carnaedyn thought to himself as he felt the World Eaters at his back surge past him in a tidal wave of aggression, before following his wayward brothers in a loping run towards the Ultramarines.

Carnaedyn withdrew Anagorax from the 13th Legion captain with a yank, the spear resisting as if it were able to enjoy the taste of the Ultramarine’s blood. The Huntmaster let his eyes drift from the dying captain to the wasteland around him. The ground was scattered with the corpses of World Eaters and Ultramarines alike, Carnaedyn being the last standing once again. There was a reason his brothers generally avoided him: many in the legion viewed him as cursed, and thus he spent most of his time alone. But we are not alone, an insidious voice whispered, as though carried to him on the winds. Carnaedyn’s grip on his spear weakened as his eyes dilated too quickly, the voice mesmerizing in its creeping drawl. As Anagorax slipped from his grip, the voice disappeared immediately, and Carnaedyn slammed his armored palm against his helmet, thinking his vox was malfunctioning. Sighing, Carnaedyn retrieved the rune-engraved spear and, alone with his thoughts, stalked back into the dying city, thinking of those brothers who had yet to forsake his company. In a moment that some might see as coincidental, a blinking vox-rune appeared in his helmet, and he opened it with a word. ‘Carnaedyn’, spoke a rumbling voice, a voice than even in a legion dedicated to extreme violence, demanded obedience. ‘First Captain’, Carnaedyn replied, moving towards the locator rune that indicated the presence of his captain nearby. ‘If you’re quite done hunting down Ultramarine swine, I would ask you to join us. I am assembling the Tetradeum, and that is impossible without the illustrious Huntmaster.’ Carnaedyn smirked, sending an affirmation click through the vox as he thought of what kind of threat would be serious enough to demand the attention of not only four of the best warriors in the 72nd, but the might of the First Captain as well. I suppose I’ll find out soon enough, Carnaedyn thought as he disappeared from view in the dusty smoke of a destroyed city.

++ pict capture of Huntmaster Carnaedyn during the protracted assault on Daljesk ++

P1170392

Now he just needs some paint, and a little bit of green-stuff on the wrist. Hope you guys enjoyed! A new update will come either tomorrow, or the next day.

That is a fancinating piece of background you have written up there.

I especially liked how you solved the issue of the Butcher's Nail, as your average World Eater is a little too.... angry, to be a good protagonist in a story. Love the idea of his angry melancholy and what seemed to me at least as despair fueled rage. And the fact that he is hearing voices from his spear has loads of potential. Looking forward to seeing where this will be going.

As for the model it looks like an interesting conversion but do you have any plans to "unchaosify" him further? One of his shoulders has a mighty big demon thing worked into it =P

That is a fancinating piece of background you have written up there.

I especially liked how you solved the issue of the Butcher's Nail, as your average World Eater is a little too.... angry, to be a good protagonist in a story. Love the idea of his angry melancholy and what seemed to me at least as despair fueled rage. And the fact that he is hearing voices from his spear has loads of potential. Looking forward to seeing where this will be going.

As for the model it looks like an interesting conversion but do you have any plans to "unchaosify" him further? One of his shoulders has a mighty big demon thing worked into it =P

Thank you so much, first of all!! Glad you enjoy it. I'm hoping to work in, eventually, the general ignorance of the World Eaters towards daemons, and indeed Chaos itself.

And that is a hard choice. Because definitely it screams Chaos warrior. But also, as Huntmaster, I could see it being more of a "Look on my armor and tremble, that I have come for you" which sounds slightly Night Lord-y, but I think you can get the gist of what I'm trying to say. So it remains to be seen, I might put a basecoat on it and dislike it immensely.

And Jasp, that's wonderful, because you're kind of a BBC veteran/part of the holy pantheon, and to a rookie like me, your interest is a great motivator. 

I have now seen so many people use that model for Heresy World Eaters...

I must have one now...

Looking great so far, consider me hooked.

yes, it looks good, but that is exactly why I dont use that model, even though i want too.

Never the less, looking foward to another son of Angron showing what he can do!

Oh exciting! Can't wait to see that guy with paint. Unlike everyone else, I haven't see him used in a World Eaters force before.

I just started my own little heresy era WE, so you'll totally be awesome inspiration for me ^_^

Very interesting story! I like the idea of him struggling with his daemon weapon, very intriguing. I like the model as well, that chaos lord is perfect for converting into 40k, I'm thinking about doing something similar for my Night Lords. I'd love to see it painted up!laugh.png

Jasp: Hmm...I saw SOMEONE use it a long time ago, can't remember who. I'm pretty sure it was used as a Night Lord, with the spear converted into a chain-glaive. Originally, I was at the store to get a Gabriel Seth model for a different conversion, but when they didn't have him I nabbed the Chaos Warrior lord to see how it could turn out.

Speaking of!! Update time!!

So, to start off the update, some VERY VERY VERY WIP pictures of Carnaedyn as he stands so far. Just the basic outlines of what the paint style will look like when he's done. 

P1170421

P1170420

P1170418

AND NOW.
Introducing a new character, one of my personal favorites. 

++ Day 27 of the assault on Daljesk, empire of the 500 Worlds, under the protection of Orpheon Gallius, Protectant of Ultramar ++

Sergeant Verrus frowned as consciousness slowly faded back in, the Nails twitching as they relinquished their control of him. He was in the ruins of a city, World Eaters surrounding him, and he frowned once more as he tried to recall the name of this forsaken wasteland. Dal.....Dal.....Daljesk, he thought to himself, nodding in reflection as he congratulated his ruined mind for remembering anything. Verrus slowly licked his cracked and bloody lips as he activated the comm link in his helmet, noticing that not all the World Eaters around him were from his squad. ‘Brothers,’ he growled, his voice like an idling engine. ‘Where are we? And more importantly, where are those blasted Ultramarines?’ Most of his brothers replied by gunning their weapons, too Nails-lost to think through a simple reply. Verrus led them forward, deeper into the city and over the corpses of the bodies that lay at their feet. His boots squelched into the broken corpses of men he had no recollection of killing as his eyes tracked their path, some part of him uneasy at the emptiness of the street. From far away, he could hear the sound of battle as the 72nd Company of his Legion fought the Ultramarine Ecovati and the damned Daljesk Wardens. ‘Brothers,’ he tried again, halting as he gazed suspiciously at the empty roadway. ‘I think-’ Verrus was silenced as two bolt rounds impacted on his chestplate and a third ruined his helmet, throwing him into the dusty earth. As though from nowhere, the Ultramarines appeared like spirits of the dead, rising to punish these interlopers for their trespass. A hail of bolter rounds were exchanged as half the World Eaters sought cover and the other half charged forward recklessly, gunning their chainblades in the air and roaring like wild animals. Verrus felt himself pulled towards a burnt out building by the shoulder pads, blood covered gauntlets hauling him into cover. He watched helplessly as his Nails-lost brothers were gunned down, a few reaching the vengeful Evocati but not nearly enough to make a difference.  His own implants sent a wave of pain through his body as they urged him to join the fray, his nerve endings on fire with the need to do violence. His right hand, holding a chain-axe spattered with too-thick blood, spasmed with the desire to destroy, but the wave of fury passed as he felt sharp pain in his chest. With a jerk, he ripped off his ruin of a helmet, spitting a large amount of blood as something inside him twisted. ‘I hate getting shot,’ he growled, discarding his helmet with a sardonic smile. Verrus could practically feel the bolter rounds as they crunched against the pillar he leaned on, and he saw a paltry few World Eaters returning fire. Over the sound of gunfire, Verrus heard the crunching thunder of a Space Marine approaching, and he prepared himself for combat as the Nails burned in his head.

---

Pasanion Horos, Evocati of Dajesk, known as the Wrath of Pontenthius and the Hammer of Talassar, led a small squad of Wardens into the ruins, his blue-green eyes seeking any of the surviving World Eaters. Pasanion prefered not to wear a helmet, so that his enemies might see the hatred upon his face, and tremble, that the Ultramarines had come. Another ambush perfectly executed, he thought to himself, nodding at the dysfunctionality of the World Eaters tactics. They had become slaves to those foul machines in their skulls, and now they were paying the price for their dishonor. Pasanion turned the corner, bolter held tight against his chest, and found himself suddenly thrown to the ground, his chest plate concaved from a monstrous blow. He felt blood pouring out of the ruin of his stomach as a blood spattered World Eater spun out of cover, chain-axe flashing as it cut the mortals to pieces, interspersed with the too-bright flash of a plasma weapon. Pasanion gritted his teeth as he tried to rise to their defense, but his arms were lead and his blood bubbled from his lips as he failed, watching as his men and his honor were destroyed. Despite himself, Pasanion also felt slight admiration for the prowess of the World Eater as he wove through las fire, the snarl on his ruined face twitching as he killed. As the last Warden fell, punched almost into two pieces, the World Eater swaggered over to Pasanion’s prone form, and the Ultramarine knew he was smiling, though his face looked more like a rictus corpse than anything human. ‘Nice try,’ Sergeant Verrus muttered, crouching over the body of the Evocati. ‘But next time, I’d recommend letting the mortals take the lead, while your brothers draw us out with bolter fire. You have to know if you baited us, we’d charge. Thank the Nails for that. Perhaps if you weren’t so obsessed with proving how much better you are than us, you could actually try and fight us in a fight you can win. As it is...’ Verrus amped up the vox on his collar, letting the Ultramarine hear the vox-calls of Verrus’ brothers as they killed, roars and laughter echoing across the open channel. ‘We’re beating you, Ultramarine, and do you know why? Because you and your legion are soldiers, and we.....we’re warriors.’ Pasanion snarled at the bold statement, spitting acid and blood onto Verrus’ leg plate,  too diluted with life fluids to burn through the armor. ‘You are nothing,’ Pasanion whispered, choking down a throat full of blood before resuming. ‘You are nothing but rabid dogs, baying for blood simply because you can. And eventually, you will be put down, World Eater. My brothers will see to that. You have destroyed yourselves, just like your mewling father. Angron is weak, just as you are. You are nothing...but a coward.’  Verrus’ half smile immediately disappeared as his hand snaked forward, striking Pasanion hard enough that he felt his nose shatter. The World Eater grasped the undersides of the Ultramarine’s arms and lifted him, headbutting the Ultramarine viciously as the came face to face. ‘You think we don’t know? Do you think we are ignorant of our broken minds?! DO YOU THINK I DON’T HATE WHAT MY LEGION HAS BECOME.’ Verrus let his chain-axe swing on the chains binding it to his wrist, throwing the Ultramarine against the pillar as spittle flew from his lips. ‘We have ruined ourselves in the hope that perhaps, PERHAPS, our father would feel something other than casual disdain for his sons.’ Verrus roared as he grabbed the back of Pasanion’s skull and ground it against the pillar, the Ultramarine unable to push the World Eater off as his skull was fractured and then broken, leaving behind dripping gore on Verrus’ hands. Those very hands shook as they held the Ultramarine’s shattered skull, not from exertion but rather the grinding of the Nails deep in his brain. ‘But what would you have me do?’ Verrus whispered, looking down at the ruined Ultramarine. ‘No matter what, they are my brothers. And I shall stand by them.’ The World Eater’s muscles quivered at all the confession had cost him, breathing heavily as the red mist over his eyes dissipated and the Nails relinquished their control. When Verrus looked up from the corpse of the Ultramarine, his gaze met those of his brothers, the World Eaters standing in a rough semicircle around their sergeant and his destroyed enemy. ‘Brothers,’ Verrus stated, his voice neutral as he stared at the warriors now surrounding him. ‘Some of our cousins in the other Legions might view your words as treasonous,’ Loch’ar spoke out, his armored hand clenching and unclenching to occupy the desire for bloodshed. ‘And how do you view them, my brother?’ Verrus replied, feeling the position of his chain-axe against his wrist. There was a pregnant pause in the air as the World Eaters stared at one another, before Loch’ar spoke again, his voice heavy. ‘The truth.’

++ pict capture of Sergeant Verrus during the protracted assault on Daljesk ++

P1170442

P1170435

P1170433

P1170441

And there you have it!! He's still WIP, have to go and retouch some things, and my freehand is a little questionable, but for the most part he's done!! I hope you guys continue to enjoy, and I should have a new update soon!

Freakin' sweet. 

Love Verrus's freehand legion badge. I need to get better at doing the new school WE badge myself...

Thanks!! The hardest part for me was not making the teeth on the circle too large.

Also, wrote some more fluff for Carnaedyn, so expect an update soon*!

*to be read as tomorrow, most likely in the morningish hours

Hey guys!! Looks like it's update time again. biggrin.png And there will be more soon, where we'll see a bit more of the Tetradium.

++ Day 35 of the assault on Daljesk, empire of the 500 Worlds, under the protection of Orpheon Gallius, Protectant of Ultramar ++

‘Brother Captain,’ Carnaedyn smiled beneath his helmet as the two warriors grasped wrists, dust whipping their cloaks out to obscure the ruins of yet another city behind them. ‘My brother,’ First Captain Voyen intoned, his voice deep and respectful but tainted by the bite of the Nails. He’s going to die, a faint voice whispered in Carnaedyn’s ear, but Carnaedyn knew there would be no body from which that ghostly, evil voice had come. ‘What requires the Tetradium?’ the Huntmaster asked, looking about at the other three members. There was the Company Champion, Delvarren, pacing back and forth with his massive shield in hand. And here, Mithrak, the banner bearer, his chain-axe thick with gore from the vicious fighting. And lastly, a brother who brought a smile to Carnaedyn’s lips: Epistolary Garr’kie, who sat meditating on the dusty earth. Unlike many in the legion, First Captain Voyen was not one to throw away a useful weapon, and thus had taken the Librarian into his command squad with open arms. As Carnaedyn neared the prone warrior, however, Garr’kie flinched as though struck, his helmet flashing up to stare at the Huntmaster. ‘There is something dark about you this day, my friend’, the Librarian whispered cryptically, looking away from Carnaedyn’s piercing gaze. The Huntmaster was about to inquire further, but the First Captain beckoned them over, the shadow of his personal Thunderhawk ‘The Blade of Ag’ralka’ darkening the earth. At the sight of the magnificent craft, a memory rose in Carnaedyn’s mind, where he knew Voyen simply by his name, not any honorifics, before the time of the legion. They had been brothers, part of the same tribe as they ran across the plains. Carnaedyn had made sure to maintain the tribal tattoos from his past, and had taken to painting similar designs on his pale white armor. ‘Brothers,’ the captain spoke, interrupting the memories of his Huntmaster. ‘We are nearing the final stronghold of the Thirteenth Legion; the survivors have barricaded themselves in, so naturally we’re going to dig them out. It will be a vicious struggle, my brothers, and I need my strongest blades behind me. We are going for the throat of the Ultramarines this very night; Orpheon Gallius himself defends the top of the city.’ Carnaedyn felt himself sway in the breeze, the voices in his mind slowly silencing his captain’s. He will die, brother, they spoke, whispers echoing in his skull. ‘Please leave me alone,’ he whispered into his helmet, his vox turned off to hide his shame from his brothers. Why would we do that, Huntmaster? You are precious too us, and we could never leave now. Carnaedyn let his grip on Anagorax slip, the spear falling to the dusty earth, but the voices remained. No longer did they echo from the foul spear: they had settled deep in his chest, coiled around his twin hearts. Carnaedyn looked up as he felt scrutiny, and saw Garr’kie staring at him, imagining a look of horror on the Librarian’s face. As they made eye contact, the voices faded, and the Huntmaster picked up his spear, following his brothers into the heart of The Blade of Ag’ralka.

---------

Carnaedyn crouched in the gilded Thunderhawk, his brothers were surrounding him, but he was utterly alone. Anagorax was clenched in his hand; Carnaedyn could not remember the last time that the spear had left his desperate grasp. Or....had he dropped it yesterday? Or had that been earlier today? Always now, he heard the voices. Promising him eternal glory, eternal bloodshed, eternal life, if only he would allow them into his broken mind. He yearned to tell someone, anyone, of the voices in his mind, but what could he tell them? That he was going mad? His entire legion had become an abattoir of madmen. The voices soothed his spirit, telling him that they would be stronger, faster, more powerful than any others in this world. Isn’t that what you want? They would whisper, their bladed tongues slipping into his mind. To have the power to defeat any warrior for the glory of your legion? For your father? He doesn’t love you, Carnaedyn, but you can force him to admire you with our help. We can make you strong, Carnaedyn, please let us in. ‘Stop,’ Carnaedyn growled, his sorrowful tones echoing in the quiet expanse of the gunship. ‘Brother?’ His captain looked at him, clearly wondering to whom his Huntmaster was speaking. ‘Apologies, brother-captain’, Carnaedyn replied, shameful that he had spoken out loud. His captain looked away once more, and Carnaedyn heard the voices whisper in his skull. He dies today, they grated, their whispers like broken glass against naked skin. ‘Your beloved captain will die this very day unless you accept what we offer to you. Is that what you’ve always wanted, Carnaedyn? The captaincy? An entire company under your rule? He will die, we promise you. We have seen it. Carnaedyn clenched his fists tighter as the voices drowned out any other thought, overlapping in their intensity and animosity. Don’tyouwanttosavehimbrotherorareyoutooweakjustasyouhavealwaysbeenweakyoupatheticworthlessnothingwithoutourpoweryourbrotherswillalldieanswerusmorta-

SILENCE.’ Carnaedyn screamed, drawing the questioning gaze of his fellow World Eaters once again.

Alone amongst his brothers, Carnaedyn, Huntmaster and veteran of two hundred years of warfare, slayer of kings and champions alike, held his helmeted head in his armored palms and wept.

++ pict capture of Huntmaster Carnaedyn during the protracted assault on Daljesk +

P1170481

P1170471

P1170470

P1170466

And there you have it!! He's not COMPLETELY done, but he's really getting there! Just have to retouch some new places. Thanks for checking it out guys!

Wow! 

I am so sorry for just like....dropping off the map. Stuff went crazy here in North Carolina, a state of emergency was declared and such due to a huge ice storm. So I didn't have power/internet until yesterday.

A new update should be forthcoming though!

Archived