codex crimson slaughter.... yup, GW really hates us.

I, for one, really like the idea of possessed as troops. The only downside is that they suck until you get them in close combat.

Luckily for us chaos players, Forgeworld provides the answer in the form of the Storm Eagle and Spartan.

As a side note, the models do look awesome and proper gribbly, although some god specific parts would be nice. Slaaneshi possessed with daemonette parts etc.

I see what you mean about supplements around archetypes, Kol_Saresk. It just seems a poor marketing decision to me to put out a supplement focusing on Night Lords terrorist Traitor Space Marines and not at least feature Night Lords in a significant chunk of the fluff and artwork. It's the more recognizable exemplar of the trope.

Don't forget Daemonworld which only showed the Violators.

Word Bearers were there too. For all that I'm not a huge fan of Ben Counter's, he does some great imagery. Read that book a few times.

I, for one, really like the idea of possessed as troops. The only downside is that they suck until you get them in close combat.

Luckily for us chaos players, Forgeworld provides the answer in the form of the Storm Eagle and Spartan.

As a side note, the models do look awesome and proper gribbly, although some god specific parts would be nice. Slaaneshi possessed with daemonette parts etc.

Do they really suck though? 3+/5++ with fleet, S5 T4. They are a bit expensive especially after marks, but I don't see them all that bad.

Do they really suck though? 3+/5++ with fleet, S5 T4. They are a bit expensive especially after marks, but I don't see them all that bad.

Lack of grenades and lack of a good* way to get them into combat in the first place are their main two issues, then there's the cost as you mentioned.

(*Chaos Landraiders are not a 'good' way...)

Imperialis_Dominatus, on 06 Mar 2014 - 04:35, said:

I see what you mean about supplements around archetypes, Kol_Saresk. It just seems a poor marketing decision to me to put out a supplement focusing on Night Lords terrorist Traitor Space Marines and not at least feature Night Lords in a significant chunk of the fluff and artwork. It's the more recognizable exemplar of the trope.

Kol_Saresk, on 05 Mar 2014 - 15:58, said:

Word Bearers were there too. For all that I'm not a huge fan of Ben Counter's, he does some great imagery. Read that book a few times.

Oh right. The single squad that got killed by a non-Astartes. Forgot about that.

And I'm not saying "Don't include the Night Lords." In fact, I'm saying the exact opposite. Show the Night Lords. Like you said, they are the original "Lords of Terror". But also show the new guys as well who use the exact same tactics, who would basically belong in that archetype.

Imperialis_Dominatus, on 06 Mar 2014 - 04:35, said:

Kol_Saresk, on 05 Mar 2014 - 15:58, said:

Oh right. The single squad that got killed by a non-Astartes. Forgot about that.

And I'm not saying "Don't include the Night Lords." In fact, I'm saying the exact opposite. Show the Night Lords. Like you said, they are the original "Lords of Terror". But also show the new guys as well who use the exact same tactics, who would basically belong in that archetype.

The non-Astartes being an extremely ancient and powerful Canon Sue Chaos Champion... tongue.png

See, I think we're on the same wavelength, because that's where I've gone with my rules development projects. There are ways to utilize Fear, Morale modifiers, influence and take advantage of Night Fighting, enhance the viability of fast non-vehicle units, get consolation bonuses for avoiding heavy Chaos influence, avoid Accept Any Challenge, No Matter The Odds Champions of Chaos, and so on. But it's all separated by different systems such that you don't have to (though certainly can) buy a 'Night Lords Deluxe package.' You could, for example, have a bunch of Berzerkers who wear their sunglasses at night take advantage of the cover of night to ambush and separate necks from heads. Or a Tzeentchian sorcerer and his warband of magicians who have their buddies stab challengers in the back while they snigger contemptuously. Or a bunch of fedora-tier atheists who scare their enemies censored.gif less while totally not worshiping Malal, no it's this guy Malice, see.

It's just after all these years since 3.5 I'm so very close to where Scribe of Khorne is at. But not yet.

To make Possesed interesting they should be changed from infantry to Beasts, gets grenades, BPistol+CCW, or at least something that counts as a Bpistol a mutation of anykind, and each time the Champ roll on the Boon chart, the other models of the squad gets the same Boon, at that point i might consider taking them, as they are now?, not even if they where 9 points per model...

Well their random CC chart is not bad at all, any of those bonuses is pretty nasty. Also they have fleet so they are already pretty darn fast and have good charge range as bonus. I only have squad of five khornate possessed and they seem to work well for me, always carving through more expensive unit than themselves. Fine enough for me.

Question, why beasts?

Hooves, WIngs, Segmented legs, you name it, they have it.

And also, has someone suggested, to make them Jump Inf, but that would make them a second Warp talons unit, and Warp Talons are allready bad, we do not need a second unit like that, thus Beasts, allows them to go fast, but they are still different then the Warp Talons.

Beasts should be a fine way, to make Possessed more playable, but they also need assault grenades or something similar.

Attacking at initiative step 1, because the enemy is into terrain is not good for a close combat unit.

One thing about Possessed is that they're a melee-only unit in a Force Org slot crammed with melee-only units or Terminators (capable at range with upgrades and up close). What I think Possessed should be, instead of their own unit, is become a sort of upgrade to a unit. Just another option, like, "one in every four models may be Possessed." You can Possess them at the very start of any Charge sub-phase, before charges are declared.Then when the Possession kicks in, the model loses his ranged weapons and rolls on an (improved) chart during combat, and gains the Character and Champion of Chaos rules. So if a unit is likely to get charged, your Possessed unit can eat the challenge (and potentially pose a threat to the challenger), and your Champion can shred the unit. Or he can add punch to a charge you declare. Or if you want to get really crazy, your Champion can be Possessed, and he's a real killer.

Throw in a Legion Tactic where Word Bearers can roll again on the chart or can take more Possessed per unit, and it actually gives the Possessed a purpose not covered by our Elites.

That would require thought.  If the rumors are true and these supplements are just somebody's pet project, then it's more a side thing that somebody came up with in their spare time e.g. "Hey it'd be cool if you could use Possessed as troops!  And I really want to know more about these Crimson Slaughter guys, I'm going to write some stuff up and show it later".  Of course, then they charge basically full price for it, but that's another argument.

That would require thought.  If the rumors are true and these supplements are just somebody's pet project, then it's more a side thing that somebody came up with in their spare time e.g. "Hey it'd be cool if you could use Possessed as troops!  And I really want to know more about these Crimson Slaughter guys, I'm going to write some stuff up and show it later".  Of course, then they charge basically full price for it, but that's another argument.

Or they've just copied and pasted everything we've seen before, just in a way it doesn't look like a novel. It wouldn't exactly be the first time it has happened.

The idea 'pet project' doesnt require thought is offensive.

I could write a World Eater supplement in an hour, it would have 'thought' involved.

You misunderstood - I meant that taking a lackluster unit and giving it a boost to coincide with a supplement that made it Troops would require thought, not creating the project itself.

Ah I gotcha then. I must agree, little thought has been applied to CSM, or the Supplements, in 6th edition. msn-wink.gif

The supplements are about as blatant a cash grab as one can get beyond them outright saying "Just give us money". The codex though there is no excuse :(

If possessed were 10 points per model cheaper and scoring I probably still wouldn't take them. Even in a Word Bearers army.

You know, 6pts per model less and have Scout or Infiltrate with Acute Senses and they would have been playable to me (at least in my non-tournament games).

Outflanking with them and rerolling the side they come on would have been pretty good for 20 or 21pts each. Very playable then.

it really does not take much.

I agree witht he above. The sole reason why i dislike them, is because if i look on the next page, there is a unit that has better armour, power weapons, deep strike and bolters, for a meltabomb in difference.

Making them 6 points cheaper, and indeed something like scout or infiltrate, altough i prefer beasts, (as in all the fluff, these guys are fast), then i would most likely have used them much more. Love the models.

One thing I'm curious about: Did the other supplements have a Limited Edition release?  Supposedly Crimson Slaughter has one and the Limited Edition has an extra 14 pages.

Hmm the extra pages might be a typo/incorrect then, unless it's 14 pages of I don't know, John Blanche artwork?  Portraits of Crimson Slaughter people?  Excerpts from Dark Vengeance?  A duel of wits between Kranon and the voice(s) in his head?

Archived