+ The Jericho Crusade + Sword Brethren Cometh!

Acebaur

So after 8th was announced I basically put all modeling endeavors on hold, not knowing what options would be ideal. Well then 8th dropped and I've got a lot of work to do :laugh.: The re-emergence of plasma and special pistols meant I've been working on magnetizing several of my vanguard and also my assault squads and a few sword brethren to boot. The huge boosts to our special characters also meant that they are not only worth taking now, but they are so good I'd be stupid not to run them.  Since I've always run my own unique characters I've never gotten around to getting them(EC excluded) so I've recently acquired a metal Helbrecht!

Man is his head ugly though! :laugh.: so that combined with my hatred of bare heads meant I converted him to wear a helmet. So now I've got some choices and wanted your opinions on which one you guys think works the best.

http://i.imgur.com/d0FP6sp.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/tlGiF1O.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/Ng917KL.jpg?1

I'd pick the last one if that is all your willing to put on him, but my personal preference would be the Mk II Crusade Armor head... it fits the Mk. II Artificer Armor he's wearing and doesn't make his helmeted head look too big for his body...

Also, why the hatred for bare heads?

It makes sense in the battlefield I guess if a soldier is too dumb to wear a helm, but in my opinion, bare heads in the battlefield also shows absolute confidence bordering on the foolhardiness especially when you stand out among your own army for wearing gold-bronze armor amidst a field of black...

Also, as a quick note... Sigismund is wearing Mk II Crusade armor as well... would it make sense if the High Marshals wear the same Mk. II, except all the heraldry has been scraped away by war?

I'd pick the last one if that is all your willing to put on him, but my personal preference would be the Mk II Crusade Armor head... it fits the Mk. II Artificer Armor he's wearing and doesn't make his helmeted head look too big for his body...

Also, why the hatred for bare heads?

It makes sense in the battlefield I guess if a soldier is too dumb to wear a helm, but in my opinion, bare heads in the battlefield also shows absolute confidence bordering on the foolhardiness especially when you stand out among your own army for wearing gold-bronze armor amidst a field of black...

Also, as a quick note... Sigismund is wearing Mk II Crusade armor as well... would it make sense if the High Marshals wear the same Mk. II, except all the heraldry has been scraped away by war?

Most marine bare heads aren't the best sculpted things in the world and the Helbrecht's head sculpt is pretty terrible IMO and doesn't evoke the awesome art of him in the 4th book.  I'm not opposed to different helmet types but those were the best looking ones that are in my bitz box. I don't have any MkII unfortunately otherwise that would be a good choice. I also have the UM Praetorian heads as well, but felt those didn't evoke "High Marshal"

Edit: The MKIII helms look pretty good too, especially the IF ones. 

I'd recommend attaching the backpack and then giving them another look.  Some heads may look rather big (the first one) but you can't be sure until you have the complete silhouette of the model.  And turning the head a bit can add some much needed dynamism to the model.  Helbrecht is advancing forward and holding the sword at an angle, which to me looks rather odd when he's facing straight ahead.

And on a different note, if you can manage it, magnetize the sword hand.  That thing will snap off if a pigeon farts within a 3 mile radius.

The cross differentiates the third helmet, and is worth choosing for that reason alone. If you want an explanation others will accept, you can claim the cross covers an integral iron halo, an enhanced auspex or vox transmitter/receiver for the High Marshal to better command his forces.

I'd recommend attaching the backpack and then giving them another look.  Some heads may look rather big (the first one) but you can't be sure until you have the complete silhouette of the model.  And turning the head a bit can add some much needed dynamism to the model.  Helbrecht is advancing forward and holding the sword at an angle, which to me looks rather odd when he's facing straight ahead.

And on a different note, if you can manage it, magnetize the sword hand.  That thing will snap off if a pigeon farts within a 3 mile radius.

I agree with Firepaddle, the model needs to be viewed in full including backpack.

On a side note, how hard was it to :

- procure a metal model ?

- remove it's head ?

Ok i'll pop some pics up with his backpack on.

I got the model from a buddy of mine who didn't need it. You can find them on ebay which is where I first looked but be prepared to pay for it, they aren't cheap for complete models.

Removing the head was definitely a pain. I worked it with an xacto knife for several days before it finally came free. After that it was pretty easy as I just used my pin vise and dremmel to drill it out.

Really gotta get you to do one of those for Jasper some time OTZ :teehee:

As for removing the head, why on Earth would you destroy an exacto blade instead of just decapitating him with clippers?  Respect the Machine Spirits of your tools, brother. :P

On my metal head removal I use diagional cutters to remove about half the head then carefully shave down the center ridge created by the cutters (to get a flat surface). Once you get there take your pin vice and make a guide hole (doesn't have to be deep, just enough for a large bit to follow) and then carefully use a power drill with a large bit to drill out the rest of the head (a bench clamp helps here too). This also leaves a perfect sized hole for plastic head's little ball if you size your bit correctly.

Last time I tried to use the clippers I have for that it bent the metal on the clipper :laugh.:

Because <Black Templars>

• 4 weeks later...

So a guy at my LGS was trying to off load a 3d printed Thunderhawk. He just wanted it gone and so I paid him 30 bucks for it. Turns out it's actually laser cut acrylic which is better as I won't have any sanding to do on the print lines. So after getting it home I was able to examine it more closely. It came with several parts I'd need to come up with otherwise like the wing mounted Heavy Bolters, and a legit resin Turbo-destructor laser. It also wasn't fully glued together so I was I able take apart several pieces including the wings. There are several etched designs which seem to be Inquisition and some not so obviously =][= (namely on the wings see below) I think my plan is to fill in the =][= stuff and then put crosses over the spot. I'll also be adding bitz here and there where they would be raised on a normal T-Hawk. So on to some pics!

http://i.imgur.com/uU3i5gW.jpg

Deconstruction finished and ready to begin WIP

http://i.imgur.com/XjWNQwY.jpg

And here is an image of the etched symbols.

http://i.imgur.com/6vc5Tee.jpg

No clue where he got it from. So I've started work on it, the front gear needed a magnet sunk into it so it can attach like the rear ones so I got that done. Next up is starting to add more detail to it so the panels aren't so flat. First up is the nose area. I'll be adding the little square "bumps" that are on the front top of the nose, along with the "teeth" for the door ramp, and the raised lines that go down the front of the ramp. 

Here's an image of the FW one. Mind you, my version was likely based on the previous version of the T-hawk, so some of the details will be different

http://i.imgur.com/d129lwv.jpg

Is that beast gonna fit onto that little stand?

Lol unlikely. There is already a piece of plastic over the cross slot in the bottom that is circular. My plan is it get an acrylic rod to fit in there and a much larger base for better stability

• 1 month later...

So I've working on a bit of this and that and wanted to do a small update. I've been messing around with my Marshal model and I think I've gotten the pose where I want it. I've posted pics before but I've made a small change that makes a big difference I believe. I turned his head to the side so that instead of marching directly forward he's looking to the shield side and doing his best "Are you not entertained!" type of pose. Tell me what you think

RJgXWbi.jpg

eEvvUOJ.jpg

Also I've started the process of using the 32mm adapters that I bought to update my marines. I'm pretty pleased with the results and these adapters actually raise the mini up the extra 1mm as well.

7wucatW.jpg

I like the posing of your Marshal. Like a lot. As you said, it's a very simple and subtle change, but it's significant.

I like it but the lightning chicken on his shin/s has to go.

LOL, not heard it called that before. I would consider keeping it, but paint the lower leg IF yellow to tie him to something like the Scouring.

Archived