+ The Jericho Crusade + Sword Brethren Cometh!

Acebaur

I think he deserves something that stands out from a regular pack. This is the Armour of Faith! The BT one is nice (I think at least one of my champs has that one) but anything from older heresy marks is also good. I've seen some lovely reliquary pieces before, which can be adapted for BT. I think they came mostly from DA/BA kits although I couldn't say for sure. Of course, you could always take the standard pack and just leave it dripping in purity seals - that is a look that can really work for the EC, as he's always charging straight into the fighting and his writs will get burned and blasted away, but the only place he isn't getting shot at is the back, as the EC never retreats ;)

I like the Gray Knights backpacks for 40k champions.

They look more heavily armored and typically have some pretty sweet purity seal or reliquary bidnass going on.

There really are boat loads of backpacks to choose from across so many SM kits.  BA and DA are a good place to look, and Grey Knights have a few choice ones.  You can look for classics, too, like the old winged metal pack I used for Brahm.  Considering how this guy is supposed to stand out, I would avoid just using a Templar one.  But it would depend on what bits I had laying around, obviously.

Good points everyone. My problem is I used all of my GK backpacks on my sternguard and all of the sternguard packs but this one http://megabitzshop.com/bilder/produkte/gross/Warhammer-40k-Bitz-Space-Marines-Sternguard-Veteran-Squad-Backpack-C.jpg

So that leaves me with either it, the Templar one, or dressing up a plain one with some seals and icons. I'm unsure about the sternguard one, because I've been trying to stay way from having large Aquila's on my Templars(yes because of Helsreach ;) ) but he is the Emperor's Champion, so perhaps the giant Aquila is ok here?

• 2 weeks later...

So I have a Heresy era backpack, though I'm not sure of the Mk. I think it's III as it came with the Legion Praetors set(Flint confirmation?).  So if you had to choose between that and the VV one I linked above which would you guys go with?

To be perfectly honest I'm not a fan of either, but the Mk III is significantly better than the plastic one.  It may just be me, but most of the aquillas on the newer kits seem oddly...blunted?  I can't think of a better word than that.

Anyway, I dislike the Mk III pack in general, not in specific reference to how it may or may not blend with the specific model in question.  I just can't stand those goofy exhausts. :P

So I'm going to go with the Mk3, thanks for your advice guys!  FP I feel you on the backpacks, most of the time I dislike the older ones with the funny vents too. However, for whatever reason I think it looks pretty solid on the EC. Also I'm very short on unique backpacks at the moment and I don't really have the time or cash to buy the bitz off ebay right now. 

One thing I've been working on with this crusade is creating a real crusade badge. Some of you will remember last year's ETL where I used the little FW shield as inspiration for my crusade badge on my vehicles and now my HG champ as you saw above. So here is some art of what the badge is and it's meanings. 

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/Sig%20Banners/Jericho%20Crusade%20Badge_zpsd6d98173.png

The white with the cross represents the chapter(obviously)

The red represents the blood of our fallen brothers

The black represents the Emperor

The litany is the Crusade's motto if you will and also represents Sigismund as it comes from the Verses of Sigismund. 

Hope you like it!

I really like the new crusade badge. Great composition and I don't think it will be too difficult to paint on either infantry or vehicles.

Now get to work fixing mine.

As far as the backpack goes, definitely Mk. III. Templars and Mk III go together like bolters and chainswords. ;)

It may just be me, but most of the aquillas on the newer kits seem oddly...blunted?  I can't think of a better word than that.

I think your word choice is particularly astute. We seem to have gone from eagles wings to budgies. Comparing the above image to earlier iterations and I do think the previous version was more majestic.

• 2 weeks later...

Warning! Big post incoming! :wink:

I've been pretty busy lately but managed to work on some side projects while I'm painting my EC for the challenge. One of them has been to finish creating my honor guard mini's.  I planned to create 7 in total and I'm basically done with that. Some small stuff is still to be done like creating some more shoulder pads like the official models and the cloaks aren't glued in place because I plan to paint them separate. But I mocked them up so you can see what they'll look like. 

Here is a guy I created from the FW templar bitz. I wanted to make him look like he was swinging his sword on a downward strike or perhaps parrying. 

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/Honor%20Guard/20151125_232011_zpsvwh1lpui.jpg

Next up is a conversion from the official models. I generally dislike bare heads and I had previously cut this guys head off so I thought I'd reuse him for the HG. I also cut off the chainsword to give him a power axe

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/Honor%20Guard/20151125_232140_zpstj8hxmaz.jpg

And then the banner bearer. I'd love to take credit for him, but I found him in a bitz box at Gencon and snatched him up! He has the most work still to be done. He needs a pad like the others and I need to convert his cloak a bit to fit with the way his shoulder sticks out the back. 

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/Honor%20Guard/20151125_232416_zpsz4wfdktt.jpg

You've already seen this guy, but here he is with cloak and all parts glued in place(finally)

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/Honor%20Guard/20151125_232228_zpspc3lh3r4.jpg

This guy is unmodified, though I'm debating on cutting his head off for a helmeted head. (But I loath the thought of cutting through that metal ><)

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/Honor%20Guard/20151125_232449_zpsobxis6bl.jpg

And finally a group shot

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/Honor%20Guard/20151125_233248_zpsudsdj9e5.jpg

But wait there's more! :laugh.:

I've been wanting to run some Grav cannons, but I'm not paying Ebay prices for them and I don't have the cash for a box of Devs at the moment. So then I remembered that I have extra of the bitz that I bought for my Centurion terminator conversions! So I customized his left arm to hold the front of the cannon and gave him a sleeve for the right arm support. I think I'm going to add a bit more to the sleeve to make it more substantial. My big question is weather to go with a big backpack for him. The Plasma cannon ones are just about perfect and would be easy to convert but do you think he needs it? 

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/20151125_133351_zpszjx5plgi.jpg

Then tonight I was wanting to build something so I got out my extra box of the old Assault marines, but I realized that I used one of the running legs for something else. So I then got an idea of what to do for the 5th guy. I remembered Space Marine(the game) and how you can slam into the ground as an assault marine. So I cobbled this guy together real quick. What do you guys think? Does he look like he just landed?

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/20151125_231131_zpsakusyddu.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/20151125_231258_zpswt0b45rd.jpg

Wow a lot of cool stuff in that post. I totally get the feeling of that Assault marine either landing or getting ready to jump up, I'm just not sure which! :D

As for the grav cannon guy, I would probably put a hefty back pack on him. Even if it's just to balance the size of the gun on the front.

On that metal model if you're not looking to save the head it might be easier to gouge a little hole in the top of his head as a start and use a power drill to take it off.

All of you're HG have some great motion to them, especially that last guy. I really like that banner bearer too that's a nice find and a good use of the sheathed sword.

Agreed, the HG are looking great. Of all the bare heads, I like the moustachioed fella best! Facial hair = win.

The assault marine really works, I like it. It's got something of the 'superhero landing' pose to it, if you get the reference. My only suggestion is you might need to do some cutting and pose that chainsword arm a little. Just now it seems a little too far back (not impossibly so, but somehow that never seems to matter with models, even realistic positions can seem off). I think if it was extended a little more out to the left and not so far back, it would be perfect.

While I normally prefer heavies to have the big pack, I think that for a salvo weapon, it makes some sense that it isn't quite as cumbersome and closer to a special than a heavy.

That is an epic post good sir and it's nice to see your "Magnificent Seven" coming together. Some comments...

Easy one's first:

1. Grav gun + big back pack -> Yes, it needs this to be balanced as stated above.

2. Metal head -> Use needle nose to twist and tear the head off, then use AC's recommendation to drill and smooth that area for the next head. It will be a pain in the neck, but you'll be happier with the result later on. Choose an epic head to justify the effort. (yeah, everything is totally epic today due to lack of sleep ;) ).

3. Love the pose of the standard bearer.

4. The first pic - A good pose, but it strikes me more as "Oh, there are heretics over there? Let's go!" I'm not a swordsman, but I'm not sure that you get a lot of strength in your swing from that pose. I could be wrong, I don't really know.

5. The last pic - Just love that pose. I can see the "superhero" perspective, but what it looks like to me is someone who has just landed, but is also in a sort of Iaido pose, ready for a quick strike. I will definitely borrow that pose at some point.

Not so easy:

I like the overall pose. The head position looks...odd to me. It could just be the angle in the pic, but it almost seems like the base of the neck isn't connected to where the top of the torso is located. It's as if the head needs to be further back or tilted down/out a little more. I think I'd like to hear Firepower weigh in on that, he's pretty good with anatomy and lines.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/Honor%20Guard/20151125_232228_zpspc3lh3r4.jpg

Anyway, the squad is definitely looking awesome!

I really like the new crusade badge. Great composition and I don't think it will be too difficult to paint on either infantry or vehicles.

As far as the backpack goes, definitely Mk. III. Templars and Mk III go together like bolters and chainswords. :wink:

@Honda - This coming from the BT whose Avatar is in Mk VIII :tongue.:

So I'm going to go with the Mk3, thanks for your advice guys!  FP I feel you on the backpacks, most of the time I dislike the older ones with the funny vents too. However, for whatever reason I think it looks pretty solid on the EC. Also I'm very short on unique backpacks at the moment and I don't really have the time or cash to buy the bitz off ebay right now. 

One thing I've been working on with this crusade is creating a real crusade badge. Some of you will remember last year's ETL where I used the little FW shield as inspiration for my crusade badge on my vehicles and now my HG champ as you saw above. So here is some art of what the badge is and it's meanings. 

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/Sig%20Banners/Jericho%20Crusade%20Badge_zpsjrk7fdfm.png

The white with the cross represents the chapter(obviously)

The red represents the blood of our fallen brothers

The black represents the Emperor

The litany is the Crusade's motto if you will and also represents Sigismund as it comes from the Verses of Sigismund. 

Hope you like it!

@Acebaur - What does Destory mean?

@Andrew: So you are saying to basically just drill straight down into the head? That sounds way easier than trying to sheer it off with an Xacto, I'll consider it. 

@MM: Yeah I get what you mean. I'll definitely do some modification to the arm, it was just the best one I had available for the pose. This was mostly a proof of concept idea, there isn't a spec of glue on that guy yet :lol

@Honda: Re: 4. I'll toss up another angle sometime this weekend, but the way I was thinking it was more of a whirling strike than a true chop. 

Not so easy:

I like the overall pose. The head position looks...odd to me. It could just be the angle in the pic, but it almost seems like the base of the neck isn't connected to where the top of the torso is located. It's as if the head needs to be further back or tilted down/out a little more. I think I'd like to hear Firepower weigh in on that, he's pretty good with anatomy and lines.

Which guy are you referring to here? The guy you quoted the pic of or the landing assault marine? If it's the latter, yeah I can see what you mean as I angled it as sharp as possible because I have him leaning over. Can definitely fix that.  If it's the HG guy, I'm not seeing it, but I can take a look and post up another angle too. 

Also forgot to mention that I think I'm going to take a couple of the HG and GS some extra cloak that comes around to under those special pads like the official SB have. 

Yeah, I have some metal scouts (evilbay) that I got cheap and will be removing the heads on and that was my thought. The main thing is getting a starter hole on it so the bit doesn't slip, especially with the power drill. I will try Honda's suggestion too though with the pliers and twisting the heads off then cleaning it up with a drill. If today wasn't so busy I'd do it right now to see what works best, but I'll try to do that this weekend and see. Best part is if I screw them up no loss really since they were stupid cheap :D anyway I can always use a messed up one to make a "cherub" Neophyte for my not devastators.

Honda, on 15 Nov 2015 - 1:45 PM, said:http://bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_images/carbon_red/snapback.png

As far as the backpack goes, definitely Mk. III. Templars and Mk III go together like bolters and chainswords. :wink:

@Honda - This coming from the BT whose Avatar is in Mk VIII :tongue.:

Touche' and you owe me a keyboard.

Not so easy:

Which guy are you referring to here?

Guy quoted in pic.

I really like the assault guy's pose as is.

So MM, something like this? Note that the arm is a little longer than normal in the pic because I haven't done anything but re-position  it with a glob of blue tac

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/2015-11-29%2013.54.24_zpsmsb73xms.jpg

I also gave him a cooler head(a pose such as this deserves something extra ;) )

Well I got the heads off, but it wasn't pretty. :laugh.: I tried the method using pliers, but I wasn't able to get a good enough grip to twist them off. The metal was too soft and they just deformed the head. So I tried drilling in, but that wasn't the greatest either. I got down into the body with no real issues, but I still had a lot of cleanup to do with the hobby knife and I kept having to stop and clean up the area I was working on to keep the bit going straight. So on the last two I used a pair of diagonal cutters to lop off the top 1/2-3/4 and then the hobby knife to clean out the rest of the head followed by the drill to make the hole for the new heads and smooth the edges. That worked the best by far, result pictures below:

12289533_1165116393518339_40919128890815

12311230_1165116396851672_29620854505325

12316549_1165116390185006_33509028430916

Archived