+ The Jericho Crusade + Sword Brethren Cometh!

Acebaur

@Greggles you've had good flow with the Administratum gray? Mine is terrible and it's brand new. I have to use flow improver on it to even make it usable.

It's the lighter grey right?  I used to do manufactorum grey (dark), codex (medium) and administratum (light).  Now i just do codex- and administratum.  Mine flows extremely easily.  I usually just add a dab of medium to it to keep it from drying on the palette.

You might have a bad pot.  I recently saw someone on a blog using imperial primer to good effect.  I was shocked...mine never worked like that.  Come to find out, my pot was messed up.  I got a new pot, works like magic now!

I think what happened was I got a few pots on mail order, and a few from the store.  Generally speaking the store ones have been more consistent.  I don't know whats going on with some of my shipped pots. (I got an awful golden griffin...replacement is fine).  

I'm having similar issues with my white scar...water and mixing medium both seem to do nothing...it doesn't flow worth a damn.  I go to a darker color, and things work fine.  Glad to know it may be the pot and not my rusty painting skills.

What medium are you guys using? I'm using Windsor and Newton Flow Improver(which you mix with water in 1 part per 20) and it's amazing. It even made the Terracotta flow nice and it's so old it won't even move when you shake the pot :pinch:

I'm using vallejo medium

http://www.amazon.com/Vallejo-VJ70596-Glaze-Medium-17ml/dp/B000PHBES0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1402519282&sr=8-2&keywords=vallejo+medium

It's probably the wrong thing.  I only partially know what I'm doing....

Well if you are using that to thin your paint you probably shouldn't ;). Glazing mediums are basically paint with no pigment. Water is also a terrible thinner because it doesn't separate the pigment evenly so you end up with it heavy in some parts and not enough in others. Flow improver on the other hand thins evenly and with the right mixture basically eliminates brush strokes.

Here is the product I'm talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/Galeria-Acrylic-Flow-Improver-Jar/dp/B002A7U99I/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402521917&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=windsor+and+newton+flow+improver

Ok time for a Zealous update. 

I've been feeling overwhelmed lately with what I have left on my vow. I thought it would be easy to assembly line paint 10 guys, but instead I get around halfway or a little more and think "Throne I still have FOUR more dudes to paint X part on" 

So in light of that I've decided that their progress is good enough that I can focus on 5 of them at a time instead.  So first up is the Sgt. and his melta combat squad.  I already feel better :laugh.:

I did some work on the Sgt's Powerfist and I think it came out good.

Here are some shots

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/20140614_001808_zpsjuqpdx4s.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/20140614_001750_zpsrfql6yhx.jpg

To arms!!! :teehee:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/20140614_001846_zpsbseiufhq.jpg

And a group shot of the models that I'm going to focus on first

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/20140614_001926_zpsytaeoy9v.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Focus is the killing point of your sword. Focus selects the perfect location to strike. Focus is the driving force that takes the enemy down.

Focus sharpens your ZEAL!

Focus is the fuel of your victory.

Focus.

A quick update(no pics sadly). Progress has slowed to a crawl. RL has intervened between having some kind of weird back pain out of nowhere and starting a new job my time has been really limited. I work early mornings now so I have to go to bed much earlier than I used to(cutting into my painting time).  

However, I have been able to do some work. The first combat squad is nearing completion but I'm having doubts about the powerfist on the Sgt. My friends were kind of meh about it so I ask you, do you like it the way it is or is it too busy?

I think the effect on the powerfist is done well but I can see how it might be a bit too busy. If you moved the lightning to be primarily over the fingers with less covering the skulls and wreath it might look better because it wouldn't be competing with as many colors.

If you decide you don't like it enough to keep it I think it would be cool to paint Z E A L on a powerfist like a 4 finger tattoo. It's on my list of things to try when I get around to painting some of my powerfist equipped SBs.

Real Life trumps toy soldiers any day. Deal with your circumstances and make progress when you can.

Brother Honda, you forget yourself, they are not toys, as has been discussed, they are inaccurate representations of the most faithful and ZEALOUS warriors of the Emperor of man. :wink:

I think the effect on the powerfist is done well but I can see how it might be a bit too busy. If you moved the lightning to be primarily over the fingers with less covering the skulls and wreath it might look better because it wouldn't be competing with as many colors.

If you decide you don't like it enough to keep it I think it would be cool to paint Z E A L on a powerfist like a 4 finger tattoo. It's on my list of things to try when I get around to painting some of my powerfist equipped SBs.

That is the BEST idea ever, a Powerfist of ZEAL:cool.:

Honda, on 26 Jun 2014 - 07:48 AM, said:http://bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_images/carbon_red/snapback.png

Real Life ™ trumps toy soldiers any day. Deal with your circumstances and make progress when you can.

Brother Honda, you forget yourself, they are not toys, as has been discussed, they are inaccurate representations of the most faithful and ZEALOUS warriors of the Emperor of man. :wink:

I was trying to come up with something more appropriate than "war dollies".

Honda, on 26 Jun 2014 - 07:48 AM, said:http://bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_images/carbon_red/snapback.png

Real Life ™ trumps toy soldiers any day. Deal with your circumstances and make progress when you can.

I was trying to come up with something more appropriate than "war dollies".

"non articulated action figure"? 

• 3 months later...

So I’m getting ready to paint some assault marines and I’m thinking about how to do their shoulder trim.  I generally prefer the scheme in the book but I’m now torn about the “fast attack look” Mainly because it’s also on the vehicle gunners(inlcuding the LRC I just painted). I also have it on my landspeeder pilots. I do kind of like it on the vehicles because it adds a nice splash of color(my vehicles are almost all black). But I’m unsure whether to go for it on the assault marines and any future bikes. Or instead just go for initiate black.

Speaking of bikes, I’m retooling my bikers to make them into a command squad, but not sure if I should paint them in Sword Brethren colors or not. I know Grimaldus didn’t have all Sword Brethren in his command squad. The reason I hesitate to go with SB colors is because two of them were already magnatized and I’m magnatizing the rest so they can be run with plasma or (when I get the bitz) grav, etc. Also because the lances will be a pain to protect otherwise. At the same time I want the squad to look like the veteran badasses they are. So I’m not sure which direction to go.

Thoughts on both of these?

PS: WIP pics of my bikers are coming soon!

I did my Vanguard squads (with and without jump packs) with the black shoulder pads and red trim/crosses and I like how it turned out. It's surprisingly distinctive compared to the initiates.

So that would be my recommendation.

Would it look out of place if the squad was painted in the Sword Brethren trim(red/red crosses) and the apothecary had a white field with a black cross? I plan to paint him with a white helm and some white trim on his backpack. Perhaps a while field and red cross?

Well... I've been looking through your stuff (some really awesome work btw!) and I'm a bit confused as to wither these guys are actual Vanguards counting as a cool looking Assault squad or if they're a Vanguard squad. If they're a Vanguard vet squad then they (should be) Sword Brothers and rock the red on black with red trim. If they're an Assault squand then go for the standard assault black on white with red trim. I don't think the techmarine on your LRC or your landspeeder pilots will cause any issues, but you could spin it like your crusade uses the assault style for all fast attack/ vehicle crew maybe?

The Apoc have their own symbol overlayed with the black on white with black trim normally so I don't think that would stand out, but it would be cool to have a Sword Brother pad with the Apoc overlay (either with enough gap that you can clearly see it against the red cross or with the Apoc symbol in another color (white?).

First, thanks! I'm glad you like my work!  As for the assault squad they are not vanguard. They are the guys pictured here and their sgt here. So just a regular assault squad. Basically they were created to run a cheap 2 flamer squad. The Vanguard i've posted will definitely be painted in SB colors. 

On the Apoc, there is an actual shoulder pad that has the apoc symbol molded into it. I plan to use that in addition to a standard pad.  I was thinking of making the Apoc have the white field of the Initiates(like it is normally) because he's not just an apoc for the SB but rather everyone(in the fluff anyway). But white apoc on red cross/black field could be very cool too. hmmm...choices! :pinch:

Archived