+ The Jericho Crusade + Sword Brethren Cometh!

Acebaur

Yeah I haven't really decided how to do landing gear. I may just forgo it altogether and just say that the the triangle shapes on the underside are retracted landing gear. 

So my 50mm bases came in so I did some mock ups on the Centurion Terminators. The room is a little tighter than I thought it would be, but I think it can still work and look good. 

This post is a bit pic heavy so just be warned. ;)

I also went in and cut the torso's in half on two of them(they were the AoBr ones in case you are just joining us) so I could get some different and more dynamic poses. This pair includes the first of those. I also altered the shoulder on the back model so he can hold his gun to the side and not having it bumping into the guy in front of him. 

Ignore the fact that they are holding swords, I just haven't cut them off yet as I still don't have the cannons.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/20150304_133828_zpsioqdkk89.jpg

Top down shot to see the placement

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/20150304_133842_zpsn1xk6pjb.jpg

Second pair includes another one of the cut models(the back one). The missing left arms will also be based on sword holding arms but I haven't acquired them yet(my friend is giving them to me)

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/20150304_133649_zpsntyvrmt9.jpg

Top down shot

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/20150304_133855_zpsz3dqlbot.jpg

And finally the Sgt and his buddy. I'm using the old Cyclone targeting arm from the old metal TDA to represent an omniscope for the Sgt.  Because of this he will hold a cannon in his other arm instead of a Storm Bolter. That said I was thinking, I have some extra storm bolters including a dread one with the ammo feed. So I'm going to work on incorporating it into the guantlet of his targeter arm

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/20150304_133910_zps5x075hze.jpg

Top down shot

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/20150304_133924_zpsgxdtei6h.jpg

And finally a group shot so you can see them all together

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/20150304_133629_zpssxybccku.jpg

So thoughts? Do they fit together ok and look good as a group? It was a bit difficult to get the positioning right where they didn't look like they were hugging each other :p

Have them hugging!, skipping around holding hands doing a two man ring a ring a roses. 

Interesting idea to be fair, the placing looks fine. Doesn't look like the cannons will get the the way of each other to much from what I can tell. 

• 3 weeks later...

I like this idea a whole lot and it's certainly more reproducible than my mantlet version.

I do believe I'll be working something like this up before too long.

Great idea!

I really dislike the pose of the one sword wielding guy on the back of the left-most base (nothing you did, just the way that model is made).  Those legs are painfully squared off, and it makes the model uncomfortably static.  Alone on a base of his own it's tolerable, but putting him next to a brother that at least knows how to lean makes it stand out like a sore thumb.  Can you turn his head?  That tends to help a lot, simple as it is.

Are there gonna be Cyclones along with the Cannons?  It seems appropriate.  Pew pew boom and such.

No missiles launchers on these guys. The Centurions can only take standard ML's not Cyclones so it's basically a waste of points when the Grav does so much better against vehicles. Plus the Hurricane bolters are good for enemies that Grav is weak against like Orks. 

I'll see what I can do about the back guy on that unit. It's actually the same model as they black primed guy on the Sgt's base but he's facing another direction so maybe it's better there. Unfortunately I can't turn the head as it's an AoBR marine and they are static when it comes to the heads. 

I'll see what I can do about the back guy on that unit. It's actually the same model as they black primed guy on the Sgt's base but he's facing another direction so maybe it's better there. 

No, I just can't see his legs.  :P

Templar-ing them and filling the space between their legs with a tabard could make the shape more 'solid' than 'static,' as it is now.

That looks more like a diaper that came undone in the back. :lol:

Longer.  Foot length, or close to.  The new Sternguard legs are a good example.  With exception to the tabard from the Grey Knights Terminator kit, you won't find one made for that shape or size.  You'd have to make them.

I'm not saying it would be easy.  I'm saying I wouldn't use that model to begin with.  But of course, I'm nitpicky enough for it to bug me, and lazy enough to look elsewhere rather than fix it. :teehee:

I don't think it looks that bad :tongue.:  I'll work on it some more, maybe alter his legs somehow.

Unfortunately using a different model is not an option. I don't have other TDA to use and don't want to buy more models for this(defeating part of the purpose of this project) :wink:

Edit: Damn you Firepower, I just picked up the DV TDA off of ebay in the hopes for some better looking poses :pinch: (It was only $14 :p )

Damn you Firepower

Sometimes I feel like this is a mantra among some forumites.  It's such a burden being right all the time.  But I carry it for the good of all.

:biggrin.:

Actually I got lucky, most of the DV TDA were going for 18-20 plus shipping. At that point I would have said forget it ;)

Got the MaxMini Grav Cannons today. They look really awesome, honestly much better than the GW ones. They are huge too, as big as an assault cannon. I'll post a picture later!

Absolutely, here is the direct link to the Displacement Cannons. From there you can navigate back to conversion bits to see the rest of their stuff. The quality is excellent and the prices reasonable. I will say that the shipping was slower than the Imperial Guard mobilizes a billion troops. It took a month to get stateside. But the shipping was cheap for overseas so it's not that bad. 

Having them in hand I finally have an idea in my head of what the grav weaponry looks like when firing. The way the book describes it you'd think it would be a big boom shot like the plasma cannon, but because they are high ROF salvo weapons it doesn't seem like it would be. But now that I have them I think they would look more like the rotary cannon in this video 

You can see some good shots of it in the first 30 seconds and then again at 1:38

Ok here is a shot of the cannons in action!

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/20150325_154740_zpswcy2o1nm.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/20150325_154803_zpszc16iexv.jpg

As per Firepower's complaints ( ;) actually the DV TDA are really well done)

Here is a potentially new second marine to go on one of the bases to replace the static guys

Do you think it's ok that they aren't looking in the same direction?

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/20150325_160311_zpssx91iank.jpg

And another angle

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/40K/20150325_160344_zpsybrq0zsa.jpg

Obviously the chanifist will be removed in favor of the grav cannon

Obviously the chanifist will be removed in favor of the grav cannon

And the wings, and the chords?

:laugh.:

Not sure how I feel about the cannons.  But I don't hate them, and I can't think of alternatives, sooo...I'll allow 'em.

:teehee:

And the wings, and the chords?

Relax man, they just came today. Forgemaster Justarien has not had time to properly sanctify them with the proper Templar relics. ;)

i really really really like that as a replacement to the grav cannon.

Yeah, they looked good in the pics when I bought them but in person they look so much better I was really pleasantly surprised. Honestly I think they look more 40K than GW;s :lol:

Having them in hand I finally have an idea in my head of what the grav weaponry looks like when firing. The way the book describes it you'd think it would be a big boom shot like the plasma cannon, but because they are high ROF salvo weapons it doesn't seem like it would be. But now that I have them I think they would look more like the rotary cannon in this video 

I imagine them more like Meltaguns, firing a stream of particles, invisible to the human eye, but in a strobing pulse. 

It looks ok, but the oversized fin at the end of the gun had me... :confused:

I might trim those a bit or remove the handle thing, since Terminators don't use handles no more :biggrin.:

You mean the fins on the emitter itself?

Also, yeah I was thinking of carefully trimming those handles off and using the bit to make it look like his gauntlet is secured to the gun by it. Otherwise I'll have to greenstuff one like the normal TDA weapons. 

Ahhh, think I finally spotted what's bugging me about that gun.  The arm is outstretched.  Simple, I know, but I kept looking at the gun and thinking "Man, that's way too long..." but it seems to be roughly the same length as the Assault Cannon. But the AC's are always tucked in, so it doesn't look quite as awkward.  It makes the subtle difference between 'Walking weapon platform' and 'This thing is light as a feather!'

But, at a rough estimate, it seems like the cables hang too low to allow a bent arm, yes?  Hmm...

As for the handle, yeah, encapsulating it into the armor like the AC model arms would be ideal, but it sounds like a lot of work.  Maybe just a simple little plate bolting the join between wrist and gun?  Just a couple of bent rectangles on either side with rivets on the ends.

No I could probably do a bent arm, the problem is that the only left handed arms that aren't power fists are the power sword arms, so it will take some tricky cutting and converting to make it look good. 

I'll look at it tonight and see what I can do. That said, I don't know that it looks really awkward the way it is, especially if I add something to make it look like it's strapped to his arm. 

Hmm well, what would the purpose (originally said "point," but too punny) be in pointing it?  To get that extra 2' of range in his shot?  To look down the iron sights that it doesn't have?

That said, the limited option of arms is a good point (callback pun).  I got nothin'.  I'm not all that familiar with Terminator kits.  What about Storm Shield arms?  Assuming you had any, I suppose.  I was wrong about the airbrush, so I'm not ruling anything out.  Except kittens.  I hope I know you better than that.

But, y'know, hope, disappointment...

Man I'm having a rambly day.  Insert Allman Brothers youtube link.

But don't.  Not in these hallowed halls.

Seriously.  Don't.  On penalty of paddlin'

Archived