IA 13 Warmachines of the lost and the damned?

Nehekhare

Decimators I actually like. They look a look more menacing and less cartoony than the drake and the dinobot. Especially, the dinobot head with the weird tongue and huge out of proportion teeth. Ye gods I want a demon engine, not my girlfriend's annoying cousin. As for drop pods, I actually want to be able to drop pod spawn. I just had an idea to use fantasy giant bat swarms for Night Lords spawn and just imagined some drop pods coming down and folding open only to release packs of giant vampire bats that the Night Lords captured on some pitch black demon world and unleash straight into the enemy ranks to spread panic and disorder.

Yeah man, Forgeworld's designs are better than GeeDub Standards.  When the Tau codex rumors were out, and they said it was getting fliers-I was excited because I expected...something like the Forgeworld Tau fliers.

It got some derpy kitbash between a devilfish chassis and a Piranha that looked like some kind of bi-plane or something, instead of an awesome High-tech Race's Fighter or Bomber.  "GeeDub just saved me a bunch of money by making :cussty models"

Decimators I actually like. They look a look more menacing and less cartoony than the drake and the dinobot. Especially, the dinobot head with the weird tongue and huge out of proportion teeth. Ye gods I want a demon engine, not my girlfriend's annoying cousin. As for drop pods, I actually want to be able to drop pod spawn. I just had an idea to use fantasy giant bat swarms for Night Lords spawn and just imagined some drop pods coming down and folding open only to release packs of giant vampire bats that the Night Lords captured on some pitch black demon world and unleash straight into the enemy ranks to spread panic and disorder.

Yeah man, Forgeworld's designs are better than GeeDub Standards.  When the Tau codex rumors were out, and they said it was getting fliers-I was excited because I expected...something like the Forgeworld Tau fliers.

It got some derpy kitbash between a devilfish chassis and a Piranha that looked like some kind of bi-plane or something, instead of an awesome High-tech Race's Fighter or Bomber.  "GeeDub just saved me a bunch of money by making :cussty models"

Totally...Its one of the reasons I never got into fielding daemons either - through the fluff and novels they are portrayed as absolutely horrific and evil, yet GW's interpretation of this doesnt translate onto the battlefield. All the models are goofy, the Bloodthirster looks like a donkey with round teeth. I just can't field stupid looking models because I have to pay an absolute ton for it.

So recently Ive started to rather save up and invest in FW models for CSM. Blight Drones and Decimators are some of the most appealing Chaos models, better than anything GW have put forth. Sure they cost a small fortune, but at least Im satisfied that Ive got some models that I actually love displaying as well.

A Decimator looks like it could pick a contemptor up over it's head and break it over it's knee.

Yeap if only the rules would reflect something similar...Had it been a MC with T6 and 5W, like a certain something else, I would also spam 3 of them lol

I actually like the look of some of the recent GW stuff - the DV kit, the raptors/warp talons (though the latter look better with batlike wings rather than the little blade/fins they come with), and the helbrute.  I wouldn't mind future chaos stuff from FW taking some notes from the Helbrutes - DV or lone box - in particular, when it comes to mutations or integration of fleshy & mechanical components.  I prefer the new helbrute to the Decimator in terms of aesthetics, for instance, though there's certainly something to be said for the decimator's stature.

Still super excited for updated lost-and-the-damned-esqe rules.  Am strongly inclined to start a detachment of them, especially if 7th edition allows multiple allies, letting me mix LatD, CSM, and Daemonic units in the same army again.

I actually like the look of some of the recent GW stuff - the DV kit, the raptors/warp talons (though the latter look better with batlike wings rather than the little blade/fins they come with), and the helbrute.  I wouldn't mind future chaos stuff from FW taking some notes from the Helbrutes - DV or lone box - in particular, when it comes to mutations or integration of fleshy & mechanical components.  I prefer the new helbrute to the Decimator in terms of aesthetics, for instance, though there's certainly something to be said for the decimator's stature.

Still super excited for updated lost-and-the-damned-esqe rules.  Am strongly inclined to start a detachment of them, especially if 7th edition allows multiple allies, letting me mix LatD, CSM, and Daemonic units in the same army again.

Same here, always wanted to run some renegades, but a little iffy in their current (old) incarnation. Again, the FW models for the renegade militia are fantastic. Just a pity I will again be disappointed by the dreadclaw rules...and possibly won't really see any decent price drop for the decimator. Here's to hoping though...

I'm happy enough with the new aesthetic, and because I want it unified...I'm saddly not buying any marines at this point, and am kind of stuck running Daemon's primary due to that which isnt a terrible place to be, but I'm impatient for a new CSM box.

Indeed, I only buy new models since I like the new organic and corrupted look. So this effectively means, no Power Armor units until they get an update, no vehicles until a new aesthetic is passed onto the Chaos vehicle bay. So this results in a rather spammy army with cultists, fiends and other nice looking models of the Chaos range since I cannot stomach the 3,5 looks anymore. The only exception are the sorcerers for whom I have a soft spot and I have some from the early days of 3rd edition. 

In the case of the Lost and the Damned army, I think it is high time for a complete rewriting of anything Chaos bearing the FW mark. 

The thing is that the new looks are very iconic, very chaos, with the sort of flair required from an "evil" army. It sets us apart from the loyalist space marines, and anything that sets a divide between us and those runts its good (provided that those are not just bad rules). It is Chaos version M41, which is much more different than Chaos Version M31. 

Add the new daemon kits in there and we get a really nice looking army. 

Personally though I wish that the FW will come to our rescue and provide us with a strong and full of flair vehicle pool to choose from. With the new AM showing once again who is king of the board we could really use some solid firepower. 

Indeed, I only buy new models since I like the new organic and corrupted look. So this effectively means, no Power Armor units until they get an update, no vehicles until a new aesthetic is passed onto the Chaos vehicle bay. So this results in a rather spammy army with cultists, fiends and other nice looking models of the Chaos range since I cannot stomach the 3,5 looks anymore. The only exception are the sorcerers for whom I have a soft spot and I have some from the early days of 3rd edition. 

In the case of the Lost and the Damned army, I think it is high time for a complete rewriting of anything Chaos bearing the FW mark. 

The thing is that the new looks are very iconic, very chaos, with the sort of flair required from an "evil" army. It sets us apart from the loyalist space marines, and anything that sets a divide between us and those runts its good (provided that those are not just bad rules). It is Chaos version M41, which is much more different than Chaos Version M31. 

Personally though I wish that the FW will come to our rescue and provide us with a strong and full of flair vehicle pool to choose from. With the new AM showing once again who is king of the board we could really use some solid firepower. 

This is what's currently sending my desire for a Chaos Marine army in an eternal cycle of enthusiasm and hesitation. I absolutely adore the new aesthetic, with the 'fiends and the Chosen from Dark Vengeance, etc. but they're a world away from the standard Chaos Marines. So far in fact that I just get all itchy and uncomfortable about it. Add that to the fact that Chaos vehicles (even the glorious ones from Forge World) are essentially loyalist-but-with-spikes, and it turns me off committing time and effort to the army.

To clarify: I love loyalist-with-spikes, absolutely. I've loved it for decades. What I don't love is how it doesn't match the new aesthetic.

Well here is the crux with the new DV Chosen, they are a one time only look, which may or may be not exported to a new CSM kit, regardless which. It is not hard to find DV bitz for cheap but the problem is that you have a clone army instead of a chaos army. 

I agree with the thing of the chaos vehicles. The Fiends set IMO the norm when comes to chaos armour in general, which is part organic, part daemonic and only remotely resembling something that once used to be a machine of some kind. I would really love to see a Rhino kit with modular plates (maybe sold separately) with organic elements, skin, muscles, faces and all those little bits like the exhaust and the bony ridges that make one look at the model and identify it as Chaos. 

I loath the current vehicle bay of Chaos, which are simply loyalist kits with some spikes on sprues for added flair. Same for the FW kits. I was of the idea to buy the Alpha Legion doors for Rhinos and Land Raiders but then it struck me, how would look like for my corrupted Chosen to walk out from such a vehicle. In my mental image it all looked horribly out of place, but this is me. 

While rules are cardinal to choosing a faction to play, the second most important factor are the models. And I think it is high time that GW makes Chaos iconic. The DV look is iconic, the Helbrute is iconic and I expect more and more of such kits. Now if only FW decided to jump on this train and begin making mutated and corrupted vehicle or kits I would be in the seventh circle of Hell, and I would like it. 

Personally I'm okay with the "Spikey Marines" aesthetic. It leaves more room for customization. If I want warped, hyper-mutated marines and vehicles I just use that magic substance known as "Green Stuff". If I just want to model a warband that keeps 10 feet away from total Tetsuo-esque mutation, then I just add spikes, trophies and a cool paintjob to the existing loyalist model (plus it's probably easier to steal parts from loyalist wrecks when the engine in your rhino is still an engine, not a squeedlyspooch).

Would it be too much of stretch to imagine jet bikes in this new book? I can hope right?

At the moment, I'd say yes, that is too much to ask. From what we've heard so far, this is a book for updating existing FW chaos options, rather than adding new ones. We may or may not get chaosified rule updates for a couple 30k tanks, but jet bikes seems a bit far-fetched, so I'd advise you not to get your hopes up on that front.

As for aesthetics, I don't have the sculpting skill to do mutated armor and jagged trim to the DV or raptor/warp talon standards, and do wish for a chaos range more clearly distinct from the loyalists, so here's another poster hoping for more of that style from future models.

It is quite difficult to get a full unit in DV style without ending up with chorus line models.  I converted one unit, but one was enough for me.  As a Black Legion player, I'd like 10 or 20 more chosen, maybe plus another 5 to 10 for a unit of fallen, and I just don't have it in me to convert any more, nor can I bring myself to use the regular CSM models for them.  It's kind of sucked the impetus out of my CSM project, though I do make slight progress here and there.  Yet another reason why I'd be excited for an updated LatD army with a coherent model line from FW to suport it.

As for aesthetics, I don't have the sculpting skill to do mutated armor and jagged trim to the DV or raptor/warp talon standards, and do wish for a chaos range more clearly distinct from the loyalists, so here's another poster hoping for more of that style from future models.

Yeah I can understand that not everyone has the skill (or patience) to make their vision come true, myself included. I wouldn't be too troubled by a more mutated look for the Chaos line, so long as I can just convert loyalist vehicles or stuff from the Heresy line, I'll survive, as will the other Chaos 'Purists'.  

Would it be too much of stretch to imagine jet bikes in this new book? I can hope right?

It is quite difficult to get a full unit in DV style without ending up with chorus line models.  I converted one unit, but one was enough for me.  As a Black Legion player, I'd like 10 or 20 more chosen, maybe plus another 5 to 10 for a unit of fallen, and I just don't have it in me to convert any more, nor can I bring myself to use the regular CSM models for them.  It's kind of sucked the impetus out of my CSM project, though I do make slight progress here and there.  Yet another reason why I'd be excited for an updated LatD army with a coherent model line from FW to suport it.

This is what I don't understand about GW. They release the CS supplement, which is actually quite good and to my mind would mean they would make a total killing by releasing a chosen box or at the very least, a redone CSM box along the same aesthetic as the DV Chosen. But what do they do? Remove all the DV boxes and now they force people to do what they've tried to prohibit - buy the loose models on Ebay.

Yeah, I guess it just depends. Loyalist-but-with-spikes works best for the less devout Legions (NL, AL, IW) as well as more recent converts, while the more mutated look is more fitting for say, WB and BL though I personally don't like it aesthetically. That's said, since my old models aren't going anywhere anyway, sure, bring on the mutant Chaos, no skin off my back. The only thing that irks me, is when we get demonic fleshy type stuff instead of loyalist-but-with-spikes stuff. As long as this book contains some Chaos heresy vehicles, it can have all the demonic whosawhatsit it wants.

As an unrelated side note, I also have an odd hankering for a LatD army, or militia, or whatever they will call it. It's a lot more affordable now with DV cultists being cheap on eBay and is a much more fluffy ally for CSM than straight Imperial Gua--Space Military. Now *that* is where I do like the warped and crazy aesthetic. Plus I really want an excuse to get some of those FW Chaos ogryn berserkers including the sexy beast using a streetlight as a weapon. So much yes.

Am I the only one who appreciates the basic CSM models more and more for being so understated compared to what's coming out? The DV models look good because they're high up in the gods' favor, but I'm not sold on that aesthetic on the rest of the range. The Helbrute's nice, and fits in with the CSM fine to me. But the Heldrake, Warp Talons, and so on all just have way too many lines to me.

This is what's currently sending my desire for a Chaos Marine army in an eternal cycle of enthusiasm and hesitation. I absolutely adore the new aesthetic, with the 'fiends and the Chosen from Dark Vengeance, etc. but they're a world away from the standard Chaos Marines. So far in fact that I just get all itchy and uncomfortable about it. Add that to the fact that Chaos vehicles (even the glorious ones from Forge World) are essentially loyalist-but-with-spikes, and it turns me off committing time and effort to the army.

To clarify: I love loyalist-with-spikes, absolutely. I've loved it for decades. What I don't love is how it doesn't match the new aesthetic.

That's why in my Black Legion the new Chosen are original traitors, Sons of Horus. There's only a few of them. The bulk of the army are recent renegades, made out of "old" CSM, sometimes with loyalists bits mixed in.

Personally I'm okay with the "Spikey Marines" aesthetic. It leaves more room for customization. If I want warped, hyper-mutated marines and vehicles I just use that magic substance known as "Green Stuff". If I just want to model a warband that keeps 10 feet away from total Tetsuo-esque mutation, then I just add spikes, trophies and a cool paintjob to the existing loyalist model (plus it's probably easier to steal parts from loyalist wrecks when the engine in your rhino is still an engine, not a squeedlyspooch).

I now want to model my sorcerers with Squeedlyspooch familiars.

I remember a guy did some really nice conversions of the tanks that partialy beefed them up and went to town on the rim, giving them a kind or ornate, encrusted with unholy age and power.

I'm beginning to think chaos needs a complete overhaul in he dark eldar style.

Archived