Numerican Night Watch (PLOG)

march10k

So my next project is actually to assemble and paint my second griffon. I bought a pair circa 2009, second one was still in the bag after all this time. I've been cleared to field it as a wyvern (hey, they're both chimera-based mortar carriers) in an upcoming tourney, so no hurry about getting those bought and painted...they're still on the list, since they'll be doubling as hydras, but I don't need them very soon at all. Anyway, here's a boring pic of the chimera sprue, primed, that came in the kit...obviously, there's a sprue missing, the sprue with the troop compartment parts and turret parts was not supplied, since it won't be needed. The resin parts are still soaking in a soapy solution pending scrubbing.

med_gallery_13203_9402_722465.jpg

I think after this griffon, I'll do a demolisher to replace the kitbashed one I've been running...

Yes, I'm running them as wyverns, more's the pity...I'm sold on the wyverns being blast-marker torrenters that should scare the pants off of even plague marines (but not properly spaced termies!), but the S6 and AP4 of the griffon still make it more versatile in my book.

Thanks, WF, slow and steady, eh?  I only got 1600 points done for ETL, but I maintain that pace year-round (except when deployed to Iraq, living in Tokyo for a year, or whatnot).

It's the Guard way ;) I've tended to do 40k in relatively short bursts of high activity, usually over the summer thanks to the better sunlight and winter being taken up by the rugby season but I'm trying to adopt a year-round approach now :)

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been painting ten tomb guard (the old metal ones, hate the new plastics, although halberds are better), no progress on the guard...till tonight.

I've officially begun my third demolisher. I won't field more than two outside of a REALLY HUGE game, this one is to replace a kitbash to improve my paint scores at tourneys:

med_gallery_13203_9402_343135.jpg

/edit/

So I've bee inactive here....I play TK, and the Nagash drop has me busy painting up a Mortarch of Sacrament (Arkhan the Black on steroids). Be back later, LOL

• 5 months later...

So...Master's degree finished, moved on to my next real job, got a little time to paint again...I'm Baaaack...here's the beginning of my fourth valkyrie...Some of you may remember that I was working on the stormtrooper air assault formation (4 valks, 3 stormtrooper squads, one stormtrooper command squad, and a commissar). At the moment, I need this in-progress valk to be minimum-playable, but really, I also need five more stormtroopers to fill out the maximum of 36 infantry that can be a part of the formation, since I have 25 line troopers, the command squad, 3 valks, and a commie ready to go.

med_gallery_13203_9402_40289.jpg

Oh, looking back through my recently (relatively speaking, lol) posted pics, I noticed a glaring absence...no army is safe without a pair of these:

med_gallery_13203_9402_146154.jpg

My second one is 75% done, certainly painted "enough" to be playable, hence it's set aside till the last valkyrie is finished so that I can field my air assault formation...

These were kind of a pain, logistically. See, the Vengeance Weapon Battery is allowed to mount a punisher, a battle cannon, or a quad icarus...but only comes with the first two options. Meanwhile, the Firestorm Redoubt has the same three options, but only comes with a pair of quad icarus...it's a filthy trick! The AA is probably my least favorite option on the bunker, where it is the only one provided, and the idea of an impassible fortification mounting an automated quad icarus for half the price of a leman russ is so sweet (in an environment where decent air defense is basically nonexistent!) that it brings a tear to my eye.

Happily, I wanted both kits anyway. The bunker is perfect for a pure stormtroopers list featuring the air assault formation. Not only does it provide substantial survivability to the stormtroopers' combined arms detachment (er, minimum of 2x5 men and a commie) to ensure that they live long enough for the cavalry to arrive, but the pair of battle cannons to be mounted on the roof provide something that pure stormtrooper lists lack: long range shooting AND horde control. Battle cannon pieplates serve well in both roles!

• 2 weeks later...

Well...I have an escalation league starting, and I need an eradicator in about two weeks, so that's taking priority over the fourth valkyrie. You can see the valk on the table, but I haven't touched it in a few days...the good news is that leman russes are super simple now compared to ten years ago, so this should be a fairly short interruption:

med_gallery_13203_9402_550448.jpg

Lol..as much as I've whined about my griffons being replaced by wyverns...the eradicator is basically the same thing, only with AV14 (and at much higher points cost).  I already know and love the effects on enemy infantry!

Ugh...just realized that I have a demolisher kit, which doesn't make an eradicator. My hull is done but for the camo scheme (always last) and the rear sponson box, so I guess I'll soon be working on the valkyrie again..even if I get a russ kit tonight, the sprue won't be primed till it warms up next week...

med_gallery_13203_9402_203995.jpg

Sorry to hear of the issues with the Russ. I have no experience of the new 'light Russ'.

Look forward to seeing the Valk though. Been a long time coming. Any plans for and conversion/unique upgrades etc?

No conversions planned...but a large air force is in the works...  This, as mentioned, will be my fourth valkyrie, and I already have an avenger.  Yet-to-be are a pair of thunderbolts, a vulture (maybe two), and a marauder destroyer.

WF, when you say the kits are quite different, do you mean different turret options in each kit, or what?  With this tank hull being mostly finished, I'm hoping to do just the turret from the other kit and set aside the unused parts from the two kits for a future build (probably a third demolisher), but that only works if the turrets are cross-mountable...

Yes I mean the turret weapon mount, so you can't create a turret that has every weapon variant - at least not without a ridiculous amount of work. The turrets themselves are interchangeable between tanks so that's the way to do it, as I said not like we need more excuses to get tanks ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got the sprue from the other tank kit and got it primed...all she needs now is a hatch handle and some camo paint, then we can welcome the newest member of the 475th!

med_gallery_13203_9402_1644156.jpg

Then it's back to work on the 4th Valk while I plot which tank I'll build out of the kit I had to buy to get the proper turret for this one. Exterminator with lascannon? Exterminator with three heavy bolters? Punisher with three heavy bolters? Demolisher?

I had been thinking about another vanquisher, either as a second tank commander to go with Pask, or as a wingman for Pask. The wingman would have the benefit of preferred enemy, but would only be BS3, while the second tank commander is BS4, but triggers a requirement for another wingman, putting a minimum of four tanks in HQ. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but the logical wingman to a vanquisher is a LRBT, if not another vanquisher...and I do so love my demolishers. Fielding 6-7 tanks in 1850 is a bit brutal, besides which it doesn't leave a whole lot of points for...other stuff.

Archived