Inqu][sitor

lamby

Great Stuff lamby !!

Tons of character there lamby. Love the custom guns and little details you add too.

must resist joining the inquisition:wallbash: but its real hard to resist after seeing the glorious stuff you are creating:thumbsup:

These are some pretty inspirational conversions, lots of great ideas and the posing is awesome.

Thanks all!

So meanwhile, I thought Kallatar's gun - while pretty good - could possibly be improved, so did an addition:

Because I'm not sure on it, the GS was fast and rough, so I could get it out there and see what it looked like.
Don't worry - it's only tacked in so I can revert to the original version pretty fast.
Here it is on her shoulder:

So what's the verdict?
Does it look like a baroque, steampunk weapon, or like a dead lizard?

If it had been smaller and aligned with the barrels it would probably have looked pretty good. As is... dead lizard.

Haha - thanks!
Dead lizard has been voted out 4-0
- That's it for tinkering with the gun, back to it's old config (minus the skull-pommel) and moving on!

Thanks for looking!

Well, the Dead Lizard was a dead waste of time - trying to remove the head resulted in almost complete destruction of the HandCannon, including redoing the wheel-cogs, thus three nights of tinkering resulted in going backwards not forwards!

Spent the better part of this afternoon reconstructing the original HandCannon around the damaged hand/gun bit. 

Slight change from the first version is I used the skull pommel of a GK Terminator sword to finally get a skull on the handle of her gun that is sized correctly.

Since we're all probably sick of looking at it, here's one quick shot of it completed, and I promise next update I'll have moved beyond this point!

As always, thanks for looking!

Edited by lamby

Well, the Dead Lizard was a dead waste of time - trying to remove the head resulted in almost complete destruction of the HandCannon, including redoing the wheel-cogs, thus three nights of tinkering resulted in going backwards not forwards!

Spent the better part of this afternoon reconstructing the original HandCannon around the damaged hand/gun bit. 
Slight change from the first version is I used the skull pommel of a GK Terminator sword to finally get a skull on the handle of her gun that is sized correctly.

Since we're all probably sick of looking at it, here's one quick shot of it completed, and I promise next update I'll have moved beyond this point!

As always, thanks for looking!

sorry to hear that you had a wasted time ,i too have had lots of wasted time trying new ideas,i see it as practise:wink:

and you dont know its not right until you try it.

good luck with the rest brother

sorry to hear that you had a wasted time ,i too have had lots of wasted time trying new ideas,i see it as practise:wink:

and you dont know its not right until you try it.

good luck with the rest brother

Thanks!

Meanwhile, having to rebuild the HandCannon set me off on another weapon re-build for the Rogue Trader - she had the skull-gun thing, but the skull was proving too big, so a new Dark Eldar hand and splinter pistol and some Empire pistol bits became this (pics are a bit meh, sorry, it was late):

And meanwhile, back in the Wretched Sons camp - "... Something wicked this way comes..."

Thanks for looking!
Edited by lamby

Here's the third attempt at sculpting the collar on Kallatar's coat, front:

And back:

Added that belt-thingy across the back for a little interest, since the back is a large panel of nothing else... that little thing took about 40 minutes of swearing - I mean, sculpting...

I forgot to upload the pics of the hat, oops!

Thanks for looking!

Well, the Dead Lizard was a dead waste of time...

If the model comes out better for it in the end, it wasn't a waste of time.

Good point, thanks!

Good point, thanks!

No BS, man. I can't even recall the number of times I started on a conversion, spent hours on it, then something inspired me to change it up and go a completely different direction that turned out better than the first version. It's all part of the process. :D

I love seeing how this progresses. (and I don't mean I enjoy your pain, purely nonslaaneshi interest here).

Thanks!

Good point, thanks!

No BS, man. I can't even recall the number of times I started on a conversion, spent hours on it, then something inspired me to change it up and go a completely different direction that turned out better than the first version. It's all part of the process. :biggrin.:

Yep, that sounds like me!

Inquisitor Kallatar - hat, gun and coat (almost complete):

Still to do:
1 - Somehow sculpt a closure tab across the waistcoat
2 - ][ bling - awaiting FW delivery
3 - Purity seals
4 - Some minor detail

Questions for you, gentle-persons of the forums:
1 - Scarf - sort of wind swept out to the left?
2 - Add Hair or leave her bald?
3 - Anything not working?

Thanks for looking!

I would add hair, although depending on the characterization you want for her long, short, or something else may work better.

Thanks Teetengee!

Turns out hair - particularly long hair - is a lot harder to sculpt than I initially thought... 
- Shaved her head down some more
- Scraped out the inside of the hat
- Added in some tiny thin GS tails
- Jammed the hat on (finally low enough I reckon...)
- Scraped/sculpted the tails of GS into a long pony tail
- Cut it all off because it looked like an octopus was trying to escape from her hat!

So here she is with short hair pulled back into a small bun - tonight I'll re-attempt the pony tail.
- Also added a small neck tie on a whim, just to see what it looked like - thoughts?

Close-ups really makes my sculpting look ugly!!! 

Thanks for looking!

The simpler gun looks better, and FYI, your work always looks worse blown up to 2 or 3x its regular size. I know this from painful, frequent, personal experience.

BTW, I may soon be joining the ranks of you =][= folk... :D

So after the completion of Gunny (Inqu][sitor) and the painting nightmare of the Brute (Wretched Sons), I had a pile of half-started conversions surrounding me, some with actual direction, some just emerging as left-over GS repositories.

The simplest one was this female sniper converted from the Eldar Ranger - she's a member of the Ordo Xenos retinue of Inquisitor Kallatar (WIPs later), alongside Fury the Gunslinger:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/4/4/600157-sniper1.jpg

Initially unsure of what to do with the weapon, I came up with this...

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/4/7/600853-sniper1.jpg

But it was too bulky and hi-tech, not at all the steampunk look I'm going for with the Ordo Xenos ladies (see Fury the Gunslinger), so I went back to the weapons forge and out came this, more of a 'La Longue Carabine' feel - initial concept stage:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/4/7/600854-sniper2.jpg

Onto the GS stage:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/4/7/600855-sniper3.jpg

- Later, I shortened the fore-stock to 'float' the barrel a little more, which meant I had to reposition the banding

- Sculpted in the cheek pad

- Added the steampunk-ish 'lazloque' mechanism

- Fiddled for ages to get the scope in place - a little bit of hi-tech amongst the steampunk...

- Had left over GS so glued the head in place and sculpted the hood - it's a little fat in areas, but some careful sanding will fix that

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/4/8/601287-sniper4.jpg

- Added a backpack, changed out a spare las-charge for a pistol, and cleaned up the hood area a little... she's also had a boob job:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/4/11/602036-sniper8.jpg

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/4/10/601857-sniper6.jpg

UUUUhhhh Don't want to rain on the parade, especially with these beautiful conversions... but this chick is still sporting eldar ears Dude!!  think it's Choppy time!

other than that, great conversions bro!

The simpler gun looks better, and FYI, your work always looks worse blown up to 2 or 3x its regular size. I know this from painful, frequent, personal experience.

BTW, I may soon be joining the ranks of you =][= folk... :D

Thanks!

- Eager to see your contribution to the ][

I'm enjoying this thread greatly. Keep it up!

Thanks!

UUUUhhhh Don't want to rain on the parade, especially with these beautiful conversions... but this chick is still sporting eldar ears Dude!!  think it's Choppy time! other than that, great conversions bro!​

Thanks!

- Someone pointed this out a while ago, she's been chopped, I just haven't posted a pic - you'll all get to see her when she's primed with the rest of the group... if this group ever gets finished, it seems to be taking on a life of its own...

Thanks for looking!

Ok, pics...

Ditched the tie/scarf in favour of an ][ - she is. after all, wearing armour under that coat:

There's a bit of knife work to do to redefine some edges, but please let me know what you all think of this mod?

And had another (disastrous) go at longer dreads... Cut off the pre-existing 'bun', drilled a hole, glued a short pin, tried the longer dreads, still looked like an escaping octopus, so in frustration grabbed the tails and twisted them until they peeled away right at the end of the pin, leaving this:

I think it looks better than before, so that's it, Kallatar has dreads twisted into a tight bun - even managed to get a hair-band sculpted, needs a little clean up with a file...

Also cleaned up the back of the coat, it's a lot slicker than the plastic had become.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by lamby

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing how good your thread is looking

She looks great with those stylistic choices, I'd say. 

Thanks to both of you!

Well, it's been a few weeks and therein lies a tale of woe...

See, I wasn't completely happy with the ][ and the GS work underneath - the ][ was curved and looked a little strange to me - so I was ever so carefully attempting to remove the GS on her chest and accidentally managed to snap off the right collar!!!

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/7/10/628832_sm-Kall0.jpg

And since that happened I've struggled to get back to her, or the work table in general!

Last night tho, I sat back down and stared at Kallatar for a bit, then put her aside again and started some simple work on the 5th member of Kallatar's retinue, an as yet unnamed heavy gunner in a mech-suit, inspired by seeing Edge of Tomorrow and the brilliant renditions of the Jackets (armour exoskeleton suits), and also a little by the Maschinen Krieger suits of Kow Yokoyama, one of my favourite artists and modellers.

First, cut the edges of the clunky feet down:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/7/10/628833_sm-Mek1.jpg

Cut the legs off the nappy... I mean, the Space Marine armoured undies...

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/7/10/628834_sm-Mek2.jpg

And hollowed out the tops of the legs:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/7/10/628835_sm-Mek3.jpg

More to follow - thanks for looking!

All looking really good. Makes me want to work on my Inquisitor team.

Thanks!

Two weeks out from an international move back to Australia, grabbing desk time is becoming increasingly difficult, but finally...

Kallatar's coat lapel redone:
I had to remind myself most of that lapel will be hidden by the gun

And the mech suit back unit has had some cooling vents added:
Edited by lamby