Inqu][sitor

lamby

It's the old Inquisitor game using 28mm figures instead of the 58mm ones, or however big they were, but as I understand it, there's an updated rule set or something.

On this topic, where do we find this ruleset, does anyone still sell it?

Wow - so many replies!

No new pics yet - maybe tonight - but thought I'd better answer a few of your comments :wink:

Read the entire thread and I really like your conversions.

Makes me want to hurry up and get started on my own ][ project.

Demus Ragnok - Thanks! 

- I admit I convert far more than I paint or play... really need to paint more...  :wink:

Wow...

forte - Thanks!

Cool stuff. I like the samurai and can't wait to see the results of the Mech suit. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

- The Samurai is giving me a lot of grief at the moment, but usually if I leave a model alone for a few days the problems resolve... stand by anyway...

- Mech-suit is awaiting some parts... but is coming along nicely, hopefully more pics soon

Wow...

See, you wanna join us Inq 28 lot. Would suit you a well, good painter, likes painting one off minis, the entire range of GW kits is open to be used in new ways. 

Join us. 

Oh and Top work Lamby. :tu: Love checking out your work. 

Forte - Thanks again!

Wow all those models are beautifully done. Some of them need rounder ears though.

Quixus - Thanks!

- DE ears annoy me too - I'll get to them on the last pre-painting sand/mold-line check

Looking sharp! Finding it very difficult to pick which mini is my favorite looking. I think the samurai is winning but its too close to tell. The Mech suit is also shaping up nicely.

hushrong - Thanks!

Some truly fantastic work here.
I can't believe I only just noticed the thread today.
Subscribing!

Keirdale - Thanks!

These are awesome!! Quite inspiring for me to actually begin real conversions when I restart my army...now that I finally have glue...

So someone enlighten the ignorant with bad searchfu. What is Inq28? Is it a crowd source update to the old Inquisitor rules?

Brother Excedis - Thanks!

- as answered by Brother Chaplain Kage, Inq28 is the old Inquisitor game (54mm) reduced to 28mm (standard GW model size... sort of)

- included in Inq28 are also the versions called Inquisimunda and Necromunda - just different rule sets for 28mm wargaming

This thread is an unendning inspiration-fest of marvelous modelling and painting! Stellar work lamby, keep it up!

BionicBrain - Thanks!

It's the old Inquisitor game using 28mm figures instead of the 58mm ones, or however big they were, but as I understand it, there's an updated rule set or something.

On this topic, where do we find this ruleset, does anyone still sell it?

GW released it for free at one point, it used to be on the website but you'll probably only find it floating around the web now.

Inquisitor Rulebook: http://s3.zetaboards.com/The_Ammobunker/topic/7620052/1/#new

Once again, thanks for all your comments.

Back with updated WIPs soon :wink:

Working with parts from an Astra Militarum gun-holding arm, a Tau rail-rifle and various scrap, made some progress on the Mechsuit weaponry (ignore the temporary pin that runs through the whole thing):

Added a grip-guard from a brass watch arm:

And added tiny watch cogs to the mech legs hydraulics, basically the start of the steampunk-ification:

Concerning the Samurai:
- Had a few frustration days where everything I touched on her I ruined - broke off her Finecast arm, snapped a drill bit off inside one arm join, destroyed the sword I was making for her... so no pics of her tonight sorry :(

Thanks for looking!

So, after some major fails and much swearing in the man-cave, finally made some progress on a few things.

First, cut and diced some tubing to get these micro-sized goggles:

Added lenses:

Glued them into a molding tray (otherwise known as a Warhammer base):
- This is where I made a big mistake - too much glue meant the goggles aren't sitting flat...

But soldiered on and made the mold anyway:
- So the GS in now in the mold, we'll see what the outcome is tomorrow...

Made the business end of the Mechsuit chick's electro-plasmatic rail-gun:
- That Tau rail-gun part is just the donor part for sizing and shape

Then moved onto the rear bracket for the Mechsuit:

Punched some plastic rod through this watch cog:

Drilled the middle out to fit over the pin, made another one (no pics) and then added them to the bracket to get this:

Another series of disasters with the Samurai, basically I've made 5 attempts to build her katana - i keep ending up with bloody great choppers instead of an elegant blade... 
However, I *may* have made a breakthrough which I'm really excited about - if successful I will document the process soon - so please standby...

I love looking at your work, the design and time you put into your conversions. I to have have massive difficulty cutting weapons into decent looking shapes.

Thanks!

- Best advice I can give is get a photo of a weapon you want to emulate, print it out, put tracing paper over the top and try to reduce the complex shapes down to bits you have - you'll be amazed how simple even really complex-looking shapes actually are!

Goggle progress - sort of...

Peeled open the mold:

Sliced the cast off:
(Remember I said I'd made a mistake - well, you can see the effect here...)

Clean up with a blade brings us to this:

At which time I discover the second mistake I'd made - the goggles are too big in scale...

So, time to go smaller!

Drilled holes in card:

Fitted some jewellery beads:

Glued down the strap:

Made a box to hold it and sliced the strap away:

Glue in the beads and there's our part, ready for Insta Mold!

So in about 12 hours we'll see how one worked out  :biggrin.:
Thanks for looking!!!
Edited by lamby

I don't know how many goggles you intend on using now or in the future, but Victoria Miniatures makes 3 different kinds, plus a lot of other nifty conversion bits. Here's a sample kit of the 3 goggles and a gas mask, but each can be bought separately: http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/product/gas-mask-and-goggles-sprue

I don't know how many goggles you intend on using now or in the future, but Victoria Miniatures makes 3 different kinds, plus a lot of other nifty conversion bits. Here's a sample kit of the 3 goggles and a gas mask, but each can be bought separately: http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/product/gas-mask-and-goggles-sprue

Brother Chaplain Kage - Thanks for the link, those are some fine goggles! And so cheap!

To be honest, I only need one pair, I've kind of gone off on a bit of a procrastination tangent with them due to being a bit stuck on the Samurai and awaiting bits for the Captain and the Mechsuit.

Cheers! 

:)

Kromlech to some nice katanas, although they're a little big.

Some of the models from Infinity The Game also have some sweet swords.

Kromlech to some nice katanas, although they're a little big.

Just call them Nodachi and all is fine :wink:

Puppetswar also has katana and katana & wakizashi sets. They might be smaller.

Thanks both of you for the suggestions!

Unfortunately, post from UK to Aus takes weeks, plus (in this case) there's the added 'fun' of solving a problem through ingenuity and skill rather than taking the bitz way out!

12 hours later, we have this:

Mmmmm - not a good cast, the Insta-Mold can be a bit hit or miss with undercuts, I should've filled in the holes in the beads... maybe later...

So, after Brother Chaplain Kage (Bolter and Chainsword) directed me to Victoria Lamb's excellent goggle collection http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/product/gas-mask-and-goggles-sprue

While these are sweet, I really only need one pair... and reading the description says they're made of soft metal - which lead me in this (final!) direction...

Cut some brass etch 'sprue' from this:

Cut a link of brass chain:

Together they became this:

Two of them, connected in the middle with more brass etch sprue, created this:

That's it! next time you see them they'll be on a completed Ordo Xenos member...

Kallatar - goggle scale and fit test:

One more little '40k' addition to Kallatar and she will be ready for basing and - good grief! - paint!!!

And so I finally believe I have completed Inquisitor Kallatar. 

She has been my most ambitious conversion to date, turning the Empire Engineer dude into this gun-toting bad-ass babe - sculpting the coat was a particular highlight for me.
There's some minor sanding to do and maybe a tiny additional detail here or there, but for now she is done.
So here's the last WIP of Kallatar:

And so - back to the Samurai...
Her woes continued, I broke another Finecast Mandrake arm, so I'm currently searching for a right arm replacement for her.
However, remember I mentioned a breakthrough with the katana?

Took a length from a large paperclip:

Scored the pin where the hilt/blade junction would be by using my rotary tool and a triangle bladed file as a lathe (no pics of this stage, sorry.)

Then heated it using a hot-knife, and belted it many times with a small ball peen hammer on my hobby vice (masquerading as an anvil) to get to this stage:

Lots of filing and sanding and filing and sanding and filing and sanding later, we have a katana and a wakazashi for our samurai:

Notes:
- Maybe a tad too much curve in the katana, but these are much more elegant blades than the plastic choppers previously made for her.
- Discovered after the smithing of these two that you don't really need to heat paperclips, you can flatten them pretty well cold 
- Had so much fun belting these out I plan to make a few more - probably try a new cutlass for the RT Captain next...
- The hilts will be wrapped in synthetic cotton once inserted and glued into the drilled-out hands.
- Might also make guards for them from sheet brass if I can find a hole punch small enough

Thanks for looking!

I can't wrap my head around the fact that you've forged tiny blades. I... Yeah. Mental! In the best way!

I can't wait to see the samurai come together. Inquisitor Kallatar is awesome. Can't wait to see her with some paint on!

Thanks death given form

- the forging - that is, the heating and bashing - was great fun, the sanding and the filing... well...

- still having trouble with  her right arm - since I snapped the 2nd Finecast Mandrake arm...

- I hope I can do justice to Kallatar...

Wow, tiny solutions, Eric results. The goggles are brilliant, must have been fiddly as hell, but amazing. The samurai's swords though.... You basically forged them! You sir, are an inspiration.

Thanks The Hydra 

- yes, those goggles were 2 hours of dual-tweezer wielding hell...

- and basically forged is correct - the heating was minimally effective as they never got red hot and apparently I could've cold forged them completely anyway

- to be honest, I really liked the belting-the-metal-with-a-hammer bit ;)

Your own forged blades? That is awesome, sir.

hushrong - Thanks!

- I plan on doing a few more (for another purpose... possibly evil ;) )

You're not going to hammer them thinner and fold the metal again and again?

I disapprove :tongue.:

Fantastic work.

Keirdale - haha! someone else asked me that on another forum ;)

- I did actually experiment with folding (heating and beating) two thinner paperclips together, but I need more heat, and the wife wouldn't let me use the gas cooker... 

You're not going to hammer them thinner and fold the metal again and again?

I disapprove :tongue.:

This would only serve a purpose if the ingot was made out of several different materials.

Quixus, you have actually given me an idea here - thanks!