Inqu][sitor

lamby

Glad to be of service, but do you really think, making the model weapon hard as well as flexible is really necessary?

Oh no, not for a 28-30mm model - it's more for trying to get some color variation in some slightly larger pieces some of my wife's friends have asked for as pendants - apparently I might now have a second job as a jeweller ;)

Recently managed to snap the second Mandrake Finecast right arm for the samurai in two places.

In the process of trying to get it back into one piece two things occurred:
One - Discovered the Mandrake arm is at least 5mm shorter than the DE left arm, and
Two - 'Saw' a vision of a clockwork bionic...

But.. I'm currently not feeling it - not sure if it's the slightly weird bend, or the not-quite-at-the-elbow placement of the tiny cog...
Anyway - clockwork bionic WIP - the rough Blue-tac join would of course be glued and Greenstuffed...

So - to be, or not to be?

On a good note, I really like the look of the katana ;)

Cheers!

It's not shocking, but i would indeed bent it a bit the arm, to orientate it toward the inside, seems a little bit unatural this way.

Otherwise, i really like the cog and clockwork bionic idea (well and the whole thread is just breathtaking, needless to say) :)

The arm doesn't look to bad to me, as in bent unnaturally. The cog however doesn't strike me as a bionic elbow. Maybe, if youu add a small brace it could be part exoskeleton type device.

thanks!

I'm now thinking a mini piston will replace that little cog... Something like the exo-arm I built for the Prosecutor, but smaller... More elegant

It's not shocking, but i would indeed bent it a bit the arm, to orientate it toward the inside, seems a little bit unatural this way.

Otherwise, i really like the cog and clockwork bionic idea (well and the whole thread is just breathtaking, needless to say) :)

thanks Drunes!

I would create a sleeve-like apparatus over the elbow to create a bionic effect.

Katana looks great!

thanks Teetegee!

Did... Did you use a zipper tooth for the tsuba (guard) on the katana?

haha - no, it's a small metal tube bead from the homemade jewellery section in the local craft store, slid into place, held with a pinpoint of superglue, and then whacked with a hammer on both sides to clinch it.

Katana looks great in hand! I think an exo-arm idea sounds fitting. The cog in the arm makes me think of that assassin from the first hellboy movie for some reason.

Thanks hushrong!

- Karl Ruprecht Kroenen is the clockwork assassin from Hellboy...

Running with the theme...

Added brass etch strip to upper forearm, a flatter (and obviously larger) cog to the lower:

Here it is in place:

Still not sure - thoughts?

It still looks like an ornament and not like a functional part of the artificial arm. What does the cogwheel do?

If I may, I think it allow the lower arm to rotate, by rotating itself around the "teeth" (sorry don't know if it's the right term) on the elbow

It still looks like an ornament and not like a functional part of the artificial arm. What does the cogwheel do?

Yeah the cog wheel looks like a piece of jewellery at the moment.

I would put it just under that little thing on her shoulder; it might look more like it has a function then

Also, love this thread, your work is great!

If I may, I think it allow the lower arm to rotate, by rotating itself around the "teeth" (sorry don't know if it's the right term) on the elbow

Thanks all for the many and varied suggestions, however the Samurai's Mandrake Finecast arm split in 3 places again, and I'm not repairing it again or it'll send me mad!

Onto something else for a bit then...

Decided the basket hilt on the RT Captain's cutlass was too chunky, so stripped the weapon down to the blade and tang:

Cut some brass etch strip off a sprue, drilled and cut and filed at it for a while (note the too large first version in the upper right of shot):

Cutlass components ready for assembly:

And in hand - with added brass etch wings:

Then moved onto the Mechsuit rail-gun...

Built a hand rail:

And mounted it:

Cheers all!

You're going to force me to do some Inq28 here soon... Your models just have so much character and are so unique!

The reworked sword is gorgeous, the wing accent on the basket hilt is a jaw dropping little touch that seems so small but adds so much to the model.

+SNIP+

+SNIP+

The new hilt goes much better with the slim characteristic of the model, great work, and the wing part really makes it look like something archaic, yet from the 40k era!

Also, kudos on the forged katana, that's just bonkers!

You're going to force me to do some Inq28 here soon... Your models just have so much character and are so unique!

The reworked sword is gorgeous, the wing accent on the basket hilt is a jaw dropping little touch that seems so small but adds so much to the model.

Thanks!

- If you're interested in Inq28 go and check out the Ammobunker forums - that's where the legends hang out, including John Blanche himself (though he rarely posts, he is watching us...)

- The brass wings are cut from the ends of some Black Templar brass etch name bars from Forgeworld - they were actually used to cover up where the pin is showing though the plastic after I shaved it down a bit too much ;)

Sometimes you just have to sit back and enjoy the ride and be awed by the view.

Cheers!

Aye that sword is a masterful. You really give me the itch to convert.

Thanks! 

+SNIP+

+SNIP+

The new hilt goes much better with the slim characteristic of the model, great work, and the wing part really makes it look like something archaic, yet from the 40k era!

Also, kudos on the forged katana, that's just bonkers!

Thanks!

- My thoughts exactly regarding the new hilt - once I'd forged the katana and compared it to the cutlass the chunkiness of the plastic basket hilt really stood out - I think I may be destined to forge my weapons from metals for the rest of eternity...

Small amount of work done tonight...

Made a 2 part mold for a new character:

Still having no luck with a right arm and realising I was hating the long Dark Elf Witch hair more and more on the Samurai, sliced and diced her mane into this:

And glued it back into this:

It's still messy but nothing a little GS won't fix.

Also tried a new forging experiment using brass tube, forgot to take a pic, will post soon.

Until next time then!

awesome, i want to build my own gothic ninja badasses now

wanna see that mech suit!

Your wish is my command... minor Mechsuit updates.

Rebuilding this piece on the Mech-suit for various reasons:

Structurally sound again:

Added the scratch plate and brass stock to the rail-gun:

Continuing on...

Set up the cheap-o-Dremel as a lathe for the barrel (had to solder that brass tube to the pin, superglue wasn't doing the job):

Lathed in some minor detail, here's the finished barrel:

And inserted it into the business end of the rail-gun (and here is where I realised the lathed detail was basically invisible... o well):

Note (in both this pic and the last) the new end face, drilled through and bevelled with a diamond bit on the cheap-o-Dremel to create the barrel detail:

Adding the details to the clockwork firing magneto:

Clockwork magneto details:

Getting there  :thumbsup: