Inqu][sitor

lamby

There's some incredible work going into this lamby, I'm got nothing but respect for the amount of time and effort you're giving each model.

They're all looking great and I cannot actually believe that katana!

All the details you're able to achieve at this scale is amazing! The weapons are looking better that GW's stuff imho.

Cheers to both of you!

So, after reading through Darth Bob's (of Dakkadakka) excellent critique points, I was motivated to do some work on the Rogue Trader, and this was the result...

Off with her head!... er, face!
(I retained the back end of the Daemonette head because it's already shaped to take the overly-ostentatious feathered hat...)

Face transplant:

In place, the Captain's new face - with added Piratical Bionical Monocle!
- I will have to move the Piratical Bionical Monocle a millimetre or so closer to her nose...

Profile view, showing the Frankenstein-style face-transplant scars - which I might actually leave and write into her fluff...

And finally, I couldn't resist - here's a new cutlass blade for her, cold forged from brass tube:

So - before I rip apart the current blade, yea or nay for the new blade?

Thanks for looking!
Edited by lamby

She is looking fantastic! I cannot believe you did a face transplant. I usually jump with joy being able to cut away arms and legs and reattach them but face...wow!

Also, good to see another forged blade.

She is looking fantastic! I cannot believe you did a face transplant. I usually jump with joy being able to cut away arms and legs and reattach them but face...wow!

Also, good to see another forged blade.

Thanks!

- I needed the bald head that was already cut to fit the neck and the feathered hat - seemed easier than slicing a Witch Elf head with all that hair down (again!)

I would want to see a photochop of the blade to the hilt before a real chop job occured, something seems off to me, but I might just be imagining it.

- The problem with this brass blade is that the portion closest to the hilt is not as wide as the end of the blade - it's a problem I keep encountering with hammering the pins/tubes flat - I can widen the ends no worries, but getting the lower part of the blade to open up is difficult...

Sheet plastic is a much more forgiving medium for making blades. O_o

Yes - but nowhere near as much fun as whacking metal with a hammer...

Edited by lamby

The amount of fine detail work on the rogue trader is outstanding, brother. Do you use any magnification, at all? And how did you managed to so cleanly cut those faces off without ruining the respective parts (and your fingers)?

No you're right. Beating something is quite enjoyable. But in my opinion the existing plastic based blade looks better. If the proportions of the metal blade were reversed, I.e. fat at first skinny at the end maybe, but as is my opinion is no.

I agree - hence the next forging attempt will try an accurate brass replica of the current plastic blade

YEA!! On the Blade.

Thanks! 

I much prefer that new blade.

Thanks as well!

Me too. Maybe make the hand guard a tad narrower (and/or taper it) and the pommel a bit smaller than before.

And thanks again! - the trouble with the pommel is that's a 1mm jewellery bead and that's as small as they come -but it still looks too big...

My first post here but outstanding work. My opinion, keep the plastic for the RT

Thanks!

The amount of fine detail work on the rogue trader is outstanding, brother. Do you use any magnification, at all? And how did you managed to so cleanly cut those faces off without ruining the respective parts (and your fingers)?

Thanks!

- I wear prescription glasses for all work closer than the length of my arm... including reading nowadays!

- I do occasionally use the cool magnifying glass (seen occasionally in my pics) like when I did the brass goggles for Kallatar, but mostly I find it very difficult to work under magnification - I do often check my work under the glass, especially after sanding/scraping

- There was a pin hole driven through the old Daemonette head from top to bottom already, so I removed the head from the body, slid it onto a pin stuck in a cork and superglued it to the pin - thus I could cut the reverse V out of the bald head.

- The Witch Elf faces come as just faces on the sprue, all I did to her was shave off the stupid tiara thing, and file a corresponding V into the back of the face

- Then I drilled through the eye (of the face), fitted the brass tube of monocle into the bald head and slid the face on - dry fit it seemed okay, so i glued it into place

- I had intended to then file/sand the seams smooth, but I actually like the Frankenstein effect of the transplanted face... some cool fluff is evolving around it...

Thanks for all your comments!

And thanks again! - the trouble with the pommel is that's a 1mm jewellery bead and that's as small as they come -but it still looks too big...

Maybe make a pommel from green stuff instead. Then you aren't limited to spheres either.

Maybe make a pommel from green stuff instead. Then you aren't limited to spheres either.

Haha - well, yes - that's the option I'll have to explore next ;)

So, due to being stuck at work I've been unable to do any modelling, however the free wifi has allowed me to watch a few vids... 

If you thought we worked at small scales, check out the skills of this craftsman:

I am just amazed anyone can do this kind of art... 

Cheers!

Progress...

Took one of these Dark Eldar Wyches heads:

Chopped the head off the neck, and filed a Dark Elf head (the whip-weilding femme from the War Hydra) to fit:

Which gives us:

mmm... some clean-up to do on the torso is revealed at this close range...

Made a new stock for the rail-gun, but need some help to pick the best looking one.
So it's 1:
2:
3:
and 4 is the previously posted original.
Let me know what you think!

Also been busy on the clockwork engine for the mechsuit, again, there's two to chose from:

Big cog:

Or complex cogs:
The rear piece of plastic housing the cogs will be fitted flush to the brass plate.

Again, let me know please!

And finally, just for fun, did some re-profiling and detailing on the brass blade.
This is the end result:

Thanks for looking!

Hmm. I vote for stock number two:

And engine number two:

Or complex cogs:
The rear piece of plastic housing the cogs will be fitted flush to the brass plate.

Great work. Keep it up. :tu:

My preference is stock 1 and engine 2. The first engine choice looks like a cop out to me. Don't get me wrong in thinking it didn't take effort it just feels like a "eh" motion. The second one actually looks like a legitimate clockwork engine.

And jyst like Razerz I had to look at the sword for a minute. I thought it was real. HUGE improvement over how it was previously. I'm worried about blade length proportionally but the effect is the far superior choice.

Actually more like a Naginata swor than a katana... I too thought holy hell, he's made himself a sword!!

That looks epic, I really hope with the grip, it will fit nicely in your samurai's hands.

Stock 2, engine 2. Stock 2 just looks more practical to me as if it would fit in the snug of your arm.

Engine 2, cos it looks the business... Are you getting your bits from greenstuffworld?

Btw in total awe of your skills..